Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2011, 11:20   #2116
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 55k kms Update Page 1

35k service Update:

Paid Service
Brake Overhaul
Intercooler cleaning
Air filter replacement

Total: 2150/-

SA suggested replacing the Air filter as it was in a bad shape. I agreed since FE has dropped by 1-2 Kmpl recently.
Did a Kochi-Munnar-Chinnar-Palani-Kodai trip (approx. 640kms) after the service and FE recorded was 17.5 which I believe is good considering the ghat roads.
Old 21st October 2011, 16:37   #2117
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 55k kms Update Page 1

How much does paid service cost on an average ?The Zen costs me almost 3-5K during every paid service
Old 22nd October 2011, 22:48   #2118
BHPian

Car is due for service(75K). Off late, I feel there is some play in steering wheel.What are the check points to detect issue, if any. I am running 195/60/15 tyre.
Should I get the suspension checked or replace the struts straight away.
Old 23rd October 2011, 10:40   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
How much does paid service cost on an average ?The Zen costs me almost 3-5K during every paid service
Swift diesel regular service with oil change is costing 3 k on the average. Major services (20k,40k etc) will cost around 5 k
Old 23rd October 2011, 14:39   #2120
BHPian

Finally picked up an amaron 65din for 4.7k from a dealer close to home.
Old 6th November 2011, 16:22   #2121
BHPian

Hi!

Since we're on the topic of batteries, I have been facing a peculiar situation.

I have stopped driving my car regularly in the past month or so.
Its going to be about three years old in dec.Battery is of end '08 I guess.

I sometimes get the water in diesel+ service light ! And the crank takes an effort.A lot of it.

I got it checked at my neighborhood battery wala and he says battery = dead.

BUT SURPRISINGLY Here is what I gathered from the maruti service centre people:-

Specific gravity is 12.4 against the normal ~12.5

On idling the voltage is about 14. @ cranking its about 8, which is ignored as per their opinion as idling voltage is checked for the "health" of battery.

And the Mechanic says all is well! just use your can more often and it'll be fine! contrary to the battery wala who says its dead!

IM confused :-S I'm looking at a highway trip and dont want to be stranded!

Any pointers?

AND my car is nearing the 30K service mark, anything/special/recommendatory about this intercooler/turbo cleaning that apparently costs a bomb ~1400
Ive always had 5k oil & airfilter change intervals and have never ever seen smoke come out the exhaust.

Cheers

Last edited by GT500 : 6th November 2011 at 16:28.
Old 6th November 2011, 16:33   #2122
Distinguished - BHPian

Mine didn't last much longer.

I never did use my car what a normal diesel driver would call 'regularly.' Sometimes it stands idle for a week or more. It may well be that the battery would have lasted longer with more regular use and some longer trips. It might be that a longer trip, with the extended charging time, might bring some new life to your battery, but, as you say, you don't want to be stranded. It is bad enough when these things happen close to home.
Old 6th November 2011, 16:50   #2123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Finally picked up an amaron 65din for 4.7k from a dealer close to home.
I presume it is for a diesel swift. If so you got a great deal. here an amaron pro din 74 costs 8000/- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2501048
Old 6th November 2011, 21:47   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I presume it is for a diesel swift. If so you got a great deal. here an amaron pro din 74 costs 8000/- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2501048
Within Amaron, there are three varieties which gives 3 year, 4 year and 5 year warranties. Mine is the 3 yr warranty one. Probably the one which you checked was higher warranty. Nevertheless, the going price seem to be around 5K for 3 year one. The deal which I got seemed better anyway. People who are in Kaggadasapura/Vignan Nagar (Bangalore) and accessible areas, can check this dealer if interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt500 View Post
And the Mechanic says all is well! just use your can more often and it'll be fine! contrary to the battery wala who says its dead!

IM confused :-S I'm looking at a highway trip and dont want to be stranded!

Any pointers?

AND my car is nearing the 30K service mark, anything/special/recommendatory about this intercooler/turbo cleaning that apparently costs a bomb ~1400
Ive always had 5k oil & airfilter change intervals and have never ever seen smoke come out the exhaust.

Cheers
As I understand the voltage readings may be misleading. Because once it starts, it is fine. Dead in this case is normally that the battery is not able to retain charge. If you check individually each cells, the positive may not be good amongst all, which is an indication that the battery is not retaining charge.

Last edited by Eddy : 6th November 2011 at 22:11. Reason: Back to back posts.
sriturl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 22:41   #2125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Within Amaron, there are three varieties which gives 3 year, 4 year and 5 year warranties. Mine is the 3 yr warranty one. Probably the one which you checked was higher warranty. Nevertheless, the going price seem to be around 5K for 3 year one. The deal which I got seemed better anyway. People who are in Kaggadasapura/Vignan Nagar (Bangalore) and accessible areas, can check this dealer if interested.

As I understand the voltage readings may be misleading. Because once it starts, it is fine. Dead in this case is normally that the battery is not able to retain charge. If you check individually each cells, the positive may not be good amongst all, which is an indication that the battery is not retaining charge.
Thanks for the reply!

I think I'm being taken for a ride by the battery dealers who are pushing for a new battery ,as the MASS mechanic who checked the gravity told me all's well! ,
will have to check this by taking the car out for a long spin and see if retains charge after half an hour worth of driving. Lets see.

Apparently amaron has only 2 variants in the market or so I'm told by the dealer . The "go" 65DIN version which has 36 months warranty and the "pro" 74DIN with 60 months which is way too pricey IMO.

One was even pushing EXIDE so much so that he claimed that amaron is better for petrol engines only and exide is much better off for diesel. :-S

Cheers

Still cant figure out if I should go for the Intercooler/turbo clean job or not , let me know if you've got it done and for how much.
Old 8th November 2011, 07:07   #2126
Senior - BHPian

Dear Jaggu,

I am planning to go in for a 15K service. I have just concluded a trip to HYD thru some rough patchy roads.
Dashboard noise has creeped up, it sounds as if some stones are rolling inside it.

Thinking of getting the below done. Please suggest.

Engine oil - Change
Engine oil filter - Replace
Fuel Filter - Replace [ Last replaced at 9100 kms, endured a prolonged rainy season in PUNE] Is this required ?
Check suspension noise from front, it creeks over speed huge breakers similar to a old cot/bed.
Will get the wheel alignment done from outside.

Any other thing I should check ?

How do I convince the Service Advisor that I will carry my own oil Mobil delvac super1300 15 w 40?

Regards,
F150
Old 8th November 2011, 21:39   #2127
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 50k kms Update Page 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post

35k service Update:

Paid Service
Brake Overhaul
Intercooler cleaning
Air filter replacement

Total: 2150/-
@DF how much did you pay for the intercooler cleaning specifically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Intercooler cleaning is a quick and cost effective activity which is recommended always.
Whats the interval when the intercooler should be cleaned.

My 30k service for the swift D is due,
the service adviser is asking a cool Rs.1400/- for the intercooler job !! Not cheap eh.
This does not seem to be the price others have paid.

What say?

Last edited by GT500 : 8th November 2011 at 21:50.
Old 8th November 2011, 21:48   #2128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150
Any other thing I should check ?
Wipers. Worth replacing every year!

Air filter, even if not scheduled, if you live or drive in a very dusty place.
Old 9th November 2011, 00:57   #2129
BBT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt500

@DF how much did you pay for the intercooler cleaning specifically?

Whats the interval when the intercooler should be cleaned.

My 30k service for the swift D is due,
the service adviser is asking a cool Rs.1400/- for the intercooler job !! Not cheap eh.
This does not seem to be the price others have paid.

What say?
I paid about 1300 for mine in Pune about 4 months ago. I dont know if it was general service effect but the car was definitely more responsive after it.
BBT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 06:23   #2130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Wipers. Worth replacing every year!

Air filter, even if not scheduled, if you live or drive in a very dusty place.
I will replace the wipers in the next rainy season.

I am planning on a RD tuning box, so will change the air filter with it.

Fuel filter replacement is required ?

Any thoughts on the suspension squeeking noise ?

Regards

F150

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks