Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 23:16   #151
BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

@ gaurav: I replied this to khoj's post on another thread for similar.

That had I not pushed to speak to a HM guy, the GN Automotive (Worli) service head, a certain John had left word for me that it will be chargeable and not covered under warranty.

The repair was awaiting my 'approval' when I called to check status.

Even the conversation with Roopesh from HM was not very reassuring since he himself admitted that the same problem could recur in maybe just another month or two, and there is no guarantee that HM or Mitsubishi can give towards the same, and hence have withdrawn warranty on the particular part.

I will not have the luxury of fuelling up at the same station every time, what if I decide to take a road trip- and get stuck between nowhere and beyond for the lack of pure fuel. It's good as totalled.

Scary thought, and my wife's worried about me being worried sick already.

Dont know man, I mean fuel's the bread and butter of cars right- and no warranty on Fuel Pump?

@ khoj: that is a great idea to renew the road side assistance, given the Mumbai morning traffic the guy reached in an hour and took the vehicle from my residence.
Old 1st April 2011, 12:57   #152
BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Hey Gaurav, Khoj.
What averages are u guys getting in Delhi ?
Mine is giving around 12-13 with ac. I'm quite impressed. Any way to extract more ?
Old 1st April 2011, 14:25   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Hey Gaurav, Khoj.
What averages are u guys getting in Delhi ?
Mine is giving around 12-13 with ac. I'm quite impressed. Any way to extract more ?
sukrit7 I would be content with those figures if I were you.

Have been talking to an authorized personnel from HM past few days owing to my fuel pump problem, and a city average of 8-9kmpl with ac is normal for Mumbai cars.

Then again, the duo you've addressed this query to know their cars better.
Old 1st April 2011, 17:47   #154
BHPian

Hi Mandheer.
I'm sure you know ur car equally well and I wish you luck with your problem. I read about it. Rather unfortunate and I agree with Gaurav. This problem should anyway be covered in Warranty. You should not need to fight for it or be told that it isn't covered.

Anyway, the reason I asked them was because they're both in Delhi.
Also, bhpian Khoj lives right next door even though he doesn't know this.
Old 1st April 2011, 21:31   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Hi Mandheer.
Also, bhpian Khoj lives right next door even though he doesn't know this.
Well, if two people with cedias live next to each other, they should know about it .

I have been getting FE of around 11-12 ish with light foot in delhi. I get around 6-7 with heavy foot and around 13ish on highways. Max I have managed over 15kmpl from delhi to gurgaon and back delhi. I could have easily counted the number of times I pressed clutch on that trip and also did not exceed over 2k rpm.

@Mandheers, I am not happy the way Mitsubishi rejected your claim. A big thumbs down from my side.

An Update: Yesterday, I was standing at a T junction at a red light. I was right ahead and was waiting for signal to turn green. Signal turned green and I had to take a right. As soon as I started an idiot on a red Apache jumped signal and bumped into me from left. He didnt fall down as I manged to brake as the speed was too low. The bugger was not wearing a helmet and was talking on phone. The front skirting came off till the center of the bumper, you can say half but the paint was not damamged. There was a black mark of his foot pedal but that got removed with rubbing.

I almost wanted to hit him but contained myself. The guy started arguing and seconds later a traffic cop who saw everything came over. He said, ofcourse in Hindi to the biker "arent you ashamed, you jumped the signal, you were not wearing helmet and then you were talking on Phone and now you are arguing" If this guy would not have braked, you would have put complete blame on him to have hit you". The cop said "jab delho badi gaadiyon ki waat lagate rehte ho tum log (you always put the blame on bigger cars)". And I was soo happy that for the first time a cop realised whose mistake it is and was not blaming me. He said if I want any damage claimed from him, he can arrange. But I said, no thanks, but asked him to fine the biker. So he was fined Rs. 1000 for talking on phone, and Rs. 100each for jumping red light and not wearing helmet.

Some double tape and fevi quick took care of the bumper. Cant even recognise if anything went wrong. Just that on the left most side, I can see a slight gap between bumper and skirting.

OT: was wondering why taking over phone is taken as a bigger crime than jumping red light or not wearing helmet.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 1st April 2011 at 21:45.
Old 1st April 2011, 22:49   #156
BHPian

The cedia's a very strong vehicle as you know. A maruti rammed into mine yesterday and almost nothing happened. The impact was so loud that I feared the worst.

Gaurav, talking on the phone is considered a bigger crime because (a) it means your attention is divided and (b) in case of car, one hand is occupied.
I've been meaning to ask you, I have a small dent on my bonnet near the beak like thing. You'd know what i'm talking about. Do you know a good dent/paint fellow ? There's no way i'm getting the entire bonnet painted.
Old 1st April 2011, 23:36   #157
BHPian

@ Gaurav: You cant even imagine the pain it caused knowing that my 2 month old acquisition is actually prone to such failures.

It makes the car very unreliable and given the service standards etc the ranking just slid down in my books.

When you realize that a part could fail at a few thousand kilometers, and has chances of repeating itself more so not covered under warranty and also has the ill-effect of leaving you at the mercy of road-side assistance, then that's not a pretty sight.

Definitely starts to rules out the out-of-town drives with family on this one.

Money gone waste, and that's what I'm starting to think.
Old 2nd April 2011, 02:21   #158
Senior - BHPian

@mandheers,

Come on man. Don't let one incident bog you down. These things happen. I know it is easier to say to the other guy but what had to happen has happened. Just be more choosy when supping at fuel stations and have fun with the vehicle.

BTW while the car is at the service center getting your fuel tank and the petrol filter cleaned out may not be a bad idea.
Old 5th April 2011, 15:19   #159
Senior - BHPian

The display of Pioneer DEH - P5990IB head unit in my cedia has gone kaput. I have been to various shops that repair head units but they have not been able to source a display for the model. Even pioneer service station cant source it. Any idea where I can source it from. I have personally enjoyed this head unit over last three and a half years and dont want to dump it. Also, the new head unit of pioneer (7290 is what I liked) will cost over 10k with bill and I am in no mood to get a new one. please help.

I am still to try Palika bhawan, a guy sourced display for the 7 model series of pioneer (dolphin display) in my cousin's cedias. Keeping fingers crossed.

@Mandheers, I know how it feels to see your new car have troubles. Our 8 months old polo with 10k on the clock had a engine head change. My heart almost stopped beating after seeing a bill of over 1.3 lac rupees without taxes. Ofcourse, it was covered under warranty but what if the problem arrises after warranty gets over. Hope you regain your trust in the car over time again. Just try fill at a good petrol pump.

IN BTW: Money gone waste is certainly what came to my mind as well in case of polo. Touchwood, the car has been doing good for last 7k kms.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 5th April 2011 at 15:29.
Old 6th April 2011, 23:51   #160
Senior - BHPian

ok, this one was tuff but not impossible. Went to palika bhawan to search for display for the head unit and was told that a new one will cost Rs. 2200 and there is no used display available. However, the guy procured a used mouth (was in pretty bad shape with lot of scratches) and asked for Rs2k. I started negotiating and he didnt bulge under Rs1700. Said no to him and went to cousin's place in Moti bagh.

We had to go to Karol Bagh (gafar) to get ear phones for my cousin's iphone and thought, we can search for a head set there. First got the ear phones and then started searching for a shop that repairs head sets. Was specifically looking for a small shop in inner lanes (they quote reasonable price) and what luck, we found our first shop and it had a used head set in almost new condition. The guy asked for Rs.1200 and we negotiated to Rs1k and bought it. PERFECT. Rs 9k saved as the new one I liked costs just over Rs.10k

The first one is the new one procured and the second one is the old one with kaput display.

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0090.jpg

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 6th April 2011 at 23:53.
Old 7th April 2011, 15:12   #161
BHPian

Hey Gaurav, that's great news and music to ears already!

Your older HU looks 'newer' than the new one though.
Old 7th April 2011, 19:56   #162
Senior - BHPian

Got roof cleaned today, Costed about Rs.200. Came back and along with cousin, washed and waxed Cedia and Civic. By the time we finished it was already dark. Please find attached a few pics. Every time I see these two standing the way they are in pics, I get reminded of the day when these two came home. I got mine on 13 May and cousin on 15 May. All the neighbours were pleasently to see the two Sports sedans .

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0072.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0073.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0074.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0079.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0080.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0081.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0082.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0083.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_0086.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Your older HU looks 'newer' than the new one though.
Well, usually people say I dont care too much for my stuff. BUT it all changes when it comes to CEDIA.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 7th April 2011 at 20:05.
Old 14th April 2011, 23:37   #163
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia

UPDATE: The car wasnt behaving normal since a forthnight now (especially since the weather started changing) and I was a bit worried. To be precise the ABC (Accelerator, Brake and Clutch, new term learnt today ) used to get extra soft and wollowy during normal driving and immidiately got very hard when the car was pushed over 2-3k rpm. The same symptoms were also witnessed with slight change in temperatures. Soft and wollowy when its hot and extra hard during slight drop in temperature.

The change in performance as per weather kept me guesssing on what the problem could be until, the gone viscosity of brake/clutch fluid came to my mind. Yes, it can be that I thought and went to Asian Motors today morning. In between, I thought of kaput clutch came to my mind but a clutch cannot go from good condition to worse in 15-20 days and also there were no signs of slipping. So I discarded that option.

They bleeded the clutch/brake oil and kept adding more oil (atleast 4-5 times) till all the old oil and other residue was drained. On inspecting the old oil, I was shocked, I was in pretty bad shape. Even the waste residue of cylinder piston along with carbon was very much visible. I couldnt believe that the oil went that bad in 32k kms as the recommended change is every 40k kms. I remember when the oil was changed at 36k kms, it wasnt in that bad shape. May be because at that time the assemblies were new and driving style of previous owner was sedate.

Also, the intake just before the throttle body was removed and some recarbonising spray was sprayed to the butterfly valve.

On driving the car back, I felt as if I have been handed altogether a different cedia, no harshness, no wollowiness, no softness, nothing. Things were perfect and much better than normal. The clutch pedal became soft and brakes were spot on. The accelerator pedal was still a bit hard (much better though compared to what it was before spay on butterfly valve, slight hesitation is still evident). Will have to get the throttle body open and cleaned. Didnt want to spend more time today as I has some other important bits to catch up.

I was very pleased again with the kind of work carried out. Costed about Rs 540/- in total and about one and a half hour .

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 14th April 2011 at 23:41.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2011, 23:42   #164
BHPian

But these issues should have been taken care of at routine service right?in which case you would not have had to go through all this trouble in the first place!
Old 14th April 2011, 23:48   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
But these issues should have been taken care of at routine service right?in which case you would not have had to go through all this trouble in the first place!
Didnt have these issues in february when I got the car serviced. The car was very much behaving itself. As I said, the issues cropped up about a forthnight back. Hydraulic system have this problem to ruin complete performance all of a sudden, the cable clutch goes hard slowly, the hydraulic one can go hard all of a sudden due to air or change in viscocity of oil due to change in temperatures.

In between the clutch/brake oil is common in cedia. Two cylinders sharing common oil.

Anyways this is the first problem I have witnessed after the uneven brake disc wear, which was witnessed some good 40k kms back .

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 14th April 2011 at 23:58.

Most Viewed