Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:22   #76
BHPian

Thanks Guptaji for the precious info. I think we now have quite an informative database about this strange noise encountered in i10/i20.

As for me, i am yet to check the IRVM or the brakes to check if the noise is from vibrating IRVM or brake calipers. After the 3rd service, the sound still persists. I wonder if they really checked it. they were more interested in selling me the inside door anti rust coating!

During the two service feedback calls, i did mention to them that the matter is not solved. And the guy who attended me during the service called me and asked me to come and leave the vehicle for checking. He appeared irritated.

I will go when i am free during the weekdays, the advaith hyundai prefer weekdays as weekends a lot of cars come for service on weekends. Will update you all when i do go there.

Thanks to svaid again for all the information. I replaced the stock headlamps(Halonix) with Philips Xtremepower. And we can see a lot of difference. Driving at night times in poorly lit areas is much more easier now with there confidence inspiring headlamps

I bought a pair for Rs.800 from AK Traders,JC Road, Bangalore. Got it fitted in a nearby garage. They charged only Rs 100 for fitting. They looked professional too. The Advaith people refused to fit them for me saying they no more sell or fix headlamps as they feel its risky!(In the past some customer had a bad experience with some headlamps and it became an issue i believe, because of which now they discourage headlamp replacement job).

Now i am thinking for my net paid service should i go there(For free service the bill comes up to Rs 2500, so i wonder what the bill will be for paid service) or to this garage.

Comments are welcome guys!

Note: Mileage still low in the 12s. I guess its my driving style. During each cycle of tank full to tank full i encounter bumper to bumper stop and go traffic, so this could have brought down the figures. I am not sure. As such, my driving style is moderate, but observed that it involves a lot of gear shifts. i10 manual users please comment.
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:00   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post

Note: Mileage still low in the 12s. I guess its my driving style. During each cycle of tank full to tank full i encounter bumper to bumper stop and go traffic, so this could have brought down the figures. I am not sure. As such, my driving style is moderate, but observed that it involves a lot of gear shifts. i10 manual users please comment.
I have 1.1 and I easily and consistently get around 16-17 in my daily usage (50:50 for city and highway). But i guess that should be attributed to chandigarh roads also where I am rarely caught in traffic jam.
Old 23rd November 2009, 22:25   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
I have 1.1 and I easily and consistently get around 16-17 in my daily usage (50:50 for city and highway)
Thats one of the best averages reported on TBHP. Which fuel do you use for the car?

Quote:
I replaced the stock headlamps(Halonix) with Philips Xtremepower. And we can see a lot of difference. Driving at night times in poorly lit areas is much more easier now with there confidence inspiring headlamps
Based on your experience with the previous headlamps, do you believe the issue gets resolved with this replacement and its no longer a pain to drive in extreme dark? Additionally do keep an eye on whether there is any extra heat generated by the new bulbs on the outer wall of the headlamps - eg you can touch and feel say about after an hour of usage

Quote:
Is this figure with AC or without AC?
One of the things I have observed with Mr Kappa is that the speed in 2nd gear; [when you just slot the gear and dont step on the accelerator]; is more than the average traffic speed in a jam ( ~15 kmph ). As a result if you slot first followed by second, you mostly end up braking and slotting back the first gear. I mostly try to drag in first gear itself as long as RPM remains within 2K and slot the second gear only when I know the traffic is clear enough to do so. This might help to resolve the frequent gear shifts of yours
Old 24th November 2009, 07:00   #79
BHPian

A query on i10 sportz, do all the driver side power widows switch glows or only the auto switch glows.
Mr Kappa gives me 13 to 14 kmpl with AC in city daily commute 45km.

Again svaid sir, fantastic long term detailed review.

cheers
karthi!k
2008 Hyundai i10 1.2 Kappa sportz
Attached Thumbnails
i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-sportz-.jpg  

Old 24th November 2009, 10:24   #80
BHPian

My answers are in bold svaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
Based on your experience with the previous headlamps, do you believe the issue gets resolved with this replacement and its no longer a pain to drive in extreme dark?
Yes Svaid. I certainly do believe that the stock headlamps do need replacement. As if a rule! It is no longer a pain to drive in the dark now.

Additionally do keep an eye on whether there is any extra heat generated by the new bulbs on the outer wall of the headlamps - eg you can touch and feel say about after an hour of usage
I will check for sure and let you all know.I did check with the mechanic if i needed to take any extra safety measures and he replied in the negative(Since it was same wattage, he said)

Is this figure with AC or without AC?
Almost 100% AC

One of the things I have observed with Mr Kappa is that the speed in 2nd gear; [when you just slot the gear and dont step on the accelerator]; is more than the average traffic speed in a jam ( ~15 kmph ). As a result if you slot first followed by second, you mostly end up braking and slotting back the first gear. I mostly try to drag in first gear itself as long as RPM remains within 2K and slot the second gear only when I know the traffic is clear enough to do so. This might help to resolve the frequent gear shifts of yours
Excellent observation. The car is too powerful in the second gear. Sometimes i have felt that it almost surges forward. Do you think the car can be tuned svaid? I guess linear consistent power delivery would be ideal right? And i have often felt, within a few minutes(2-3), i end up going from 1st to 4th gear! And i am forced too, as i usually upshift between 2500 and 3000 rpms. Never prefer to exceed 3000 rpms

Last edited by iPai : 24th November 2009 at 10:25. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 24th November 2009, 10:33   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjeevan View Post
A query on i10 sportz, do all the driver side power widows switch glows or only the auto switch glows.
Only the auto switch glows ( its advertised as a separate feature if you check the Hyundai website )
Old 24th November 2009, 10:57   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Do you think the car can be tuned svaid? I guess linear consistent power delivery would be ideal right?
I am not aware if any particular tuning can be done. Fellow owners can comment if they know something about it.

I don't have any specific issues with the power delivery. As I have been mentioning repeatedly in my updates, the real juice lies 3rd gear and 1500 RPM onwards. That is how Mr Kappa seems to have been tuned and designed by OEM. It looks more suited to open roads and highway driving as opposed to bumper to bumper traffic driving

First Gear - From my personal observation; feel it is sluggish and you need accelerator push to make sure that you dont end up stalling the vehicle. As we all know driving in first gear beyond a speed means a jerky ride as well as burning more fuel - so you cant drag it in first beyond a limit eg in traffic jam.

Second Gear - As I mentioned in my last update, I feel the idle speed in second gear is more than the average traffic jam speed. As a result, in the city - you end up in a 1st-2nd/1st-2nd gear kind of driving which drains away the driving pleasure that Mr. Kappa has to offer. Additionally as I mentioned earlier, I try to drag Mr Kappa in first gear to make sure that I avoid extra gear shifts as much as possible as well as possible half clutching in second gear

For me if this has to be addressed, somehow the first gear needs to be more responsive to move from stand still to initial speed. The idle speed in second gear needs to be slightly less than what it is now.

This is just a wishlist and I am afraid if anything can be done about it ( BTW I can see BlackAsta smiling on his choice of AUTO here )
Quote:
And i have often felt, within a few minutes(2-3), i end up going from 1st to 4th gear! And i am forced too, as i usually upshift between 2500 and 3000 rpms. Never prefer to exceed 3000 rpms
I think that is fine. I tend to change gears close to 2K RPM itself. But of course this also means possible more gear shifts in the city since you would be in taller gear once you have to brake. But somehow I change gear more based on my gut wrt the engine roar than the RPM meter. I think the best FE is seen once you stick around 2K RPM only - so its good you don't exceed 3K RPM in your driving
Old 25th November 2009, 11:10   #83
BHPian

As I had mentioned in my other thread ., Mr Kappa had refused to start on 30th October because of Exide battery giving up after just 13 months of usage.

I gave a call to Exide guys on 6th November asking if the replacement battery had come and they answered in positive. They told me that someone would come to my home and take back the service batter, providing me with the new battery as well as my service booklet.

However no one turned up over the weekend. I was also down with some cough and fever and didnt follow up. Finally again got a call on Wednesday, 11th November asking me if they could come and replace. Since I was in my office in Noida at that time, I asked them if they could possibly come there. They said that it would not be possible for them to come to Noida and that they will come early morning the next day before I leave to office for replacing the battery

However no one turned up again. I got a call then on Friday at 8:30 PM whether they could come to replace the battery. I didnt want them to come in dark and do any half baked job. So told them to come on saturday morning for the job.

They instead turned up on Sunday Morning ( 13 th November ) and finally I got my battery replaced with a brand new Exide battery.

The old battery being removed
i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-image083.jpgi10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-image084.jpg

The new battery which has been replaced
i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-image096.jpgi10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-image097.jpgi10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-image091.jpg

Note that the new battery has a warranty of 1 year.
Old 25th November 2009, 15:53   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
( BTW I can see BlackAsta smiling on his choice of AUTO here )

The autobox crawls (with almost perfect speed) whenever the car is in D and brakes are not applied. I do not have to touch the gas pedal in traffic, its the Neutal ->Drive and brake pedal control that I use.
9/10 times I can be the first person out of the line in traffic red lights (if I wish so that is - more often than not I excercise a sedate driving and accelerate gradually)
Old 27th November 2009, 11:44   #85
BHPian

Some further observations

Spare Tyre
  • Have the fellow owners really noticed the positioning of the spare tyre?
  • There is a nice screw based lock to keep it in place. However - this also means that the tyre is placed such that the inlet for filling air in to the tyre is on the downside.
  • So every time you want to make sure that air pressure in your spare tyre is fine, you need to unscrew the spare tyre and pull it outside so that the air inlet gets exposed to fill the air to the desired pressure.
  • I would have preferred a placing where the inlet was on top. I don't know why it has been put this way but occasionally feel it as an irritant
Idle RPM
  • Fellow owners, what is the idle rpm that you typically see especially on cold start?
  • For past some weeks I am either seeing it a tad below 1K RPM on cold start and a a few time slightly above eg 1100 RPM. Cant think of any specific reason for the same.
  • I have also observed one more thing. Lets say that you idle RPM is 1K and you drive in bumper to bumper traffic for say half an hour. I have sometimes noticed that after this kind of driving, the idle RPM starts staying above 1K RPM eg 1100 RPM. I tried switching off the AC/headlights to see if it has any kind of impact but invain. Would like to know if anyone else has also observed the same
Side view mirrors
  • I was not aware if side view mirrors do fold up even in the backward direction i.e if some biker brushes past the side view mirror hitting it in the process( while going in the forward direction as you ). I noticed that it does - A pretty useful thing
Wipers
  • Noticed that I have DR written on base end of one wiper while PA is written on the base of other one. Is this some kind of wiper brand or what ( IIRC i10 had a codename of PA - I don't know if there is any relation )
Old 27th November 2009, 12:46   #86
BHPian

Excellent ownership review- this shows your passion for car. Idle RPM speed might change with ambient temprature.On colder days slightly higher idle RPM and on warmer days the normal below 1K mark. That's my two cents on this. Cheers
Old 27th November 2009, 14:19   #87
Senior - BHPian

@svaid
Very good and detailed report. I had been following it from right day one of your post, but could not reply anything as i was just a mute spectator. Now recently got the membership.
I too have a i10 1.2 Kappa (Magna). Its 6 months old now. Very happy with the performance.
Your each experience is exactly what i am experiencing one by one of it now, the dent you got on the back your car , sluggishness in 1st and 2nd gear,etc.

Quote:
Thanks to svaid again for all the information. I replaced the stock headlamps(Halonix) with Philips Xtremepower. And we can see a lot of difference. Driving at night times in poorly lit areas is much more easier now with there confidence inspiring headlamps

I bought a pair for Rs.800 from AK Traders,JC Road, Bangalore. Got it fitted in a nearby garage. They charged only Rs 100 for fitting. They looked professional too.
I had a posted a question about i10 stockheadlamps in the auto lighting section but did not get any answer till now. Thanks for your suggestion on this.
As confirmed by you that there is no overheating of the outer wall of the headlamps, have you tried using it for longer time like travel on highway for a long time and verifying if there is no overheating. Just curious
Will try to get it changed right this weekend itself. Any landmark to locate AK Traders ?
Old 27th November 2009, 14:42   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Spare TyreWipers
  • Noticed that I have DR written on base end of one wiper while PA is written on the base of other one. Is this some kind of wiper brand or what ( IIRC i10 had a codename of PA - I don't know if there is any relation )
My guesses: PA: Passenger side wiper DR: Driver side wiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
@svaid
Any landmark to locate AK Traders ?
Well, that area is new to me, but putting it this way: Assume you are on JC road driving towards town hall. Before the kalasipalyam-Mahavir jain college road signal you will get the circle where the Arumugam mudaliar road runs in perpendicular direction. Take left, go forward and take left again in the third cross. Around a 100 metres forward, on your right side, first floor you will see the board of AK Traders. Need to walk down an alley and take the stairs at the end to go up to the stores. Its not easy to spot the shop
Old 27th November 2009, 15:11   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, that area is new to me, but putting it this way: Assume you are on JC road driving towards town hall. Before the kalasipalyam-Mahavir jain college road signal you will get the circle where the Arumugam mudaliar road runs in perpendicular direction. Take left, go forward and take left again in the third cross. Around a 100 metres forward, on your right side, first floor you will see the board of AK Traders. Need to walk down an alley and take the stairs at the end to go up to the stores. Its not easy to spot the shop
thanks a lot , with that detailed explaination, i should be able to get that place.
Old 27th November 2009, 22:05   #90
BHPian

Quote:

I filled up 10.25 litres of BP ordinary petrol last week. My driving was a mix of City and Highway. I took lot of caution not to exceed 2.5K RPM. It was very very difficult and my car ran 144 kms (14.04 km/l). Very average figures for a small car.

Quote:
Based on your experience with the previous headlamps, do you believe the issue gets resolved with this replacement and its no longer a pain to drive in extreme dark? Additionally do keep an eye on whether there is any extra heat generated by the new bulbs on the outer wall of the headlamps - eg you can touch and feel say about after an hour of usage
I upgraded to the same pair and there has been no issues so far.

Quote:

They instead turned up on Sunday Morning ( 13 th November ) and finally I got my battery replaced with a brand new Exide battery.
I may be wrong but aren't batteries supposed to last longer than this ?

Quote:
Wipers
As Ipai said, it simply means DRiver and PAssenger. I too got confused if it could be the code name PA>

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
I had a posted a question about i10 stockheadlamps in the auto lighting section but did not get any answer till now. Thanks for your suggestion on this.
You can check my review on Philips xtereme power here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...s-my-m800.html

I have driven for about continuous 2 hours and have not faced any problems. The heat on the lenses feel normal.

There would be improvement compared to the stock ones but don't expect wonders.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks