Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 21:00   #196

I went to book manual i10 kappa sportz last month as they were giving heavy cash discount (30K + many accessories). But when I came to know that I will be getting Apr '09 model with no immobilizer I asked them to put my name in Jan '10 order list to get new car with immobilizer. But sales lady said she can't give me promised sun-film and anti-rust coating free in that case and cash discount will be reduced to 25K :(

An immobilizer after losing 3M sun-film, 5K and coating.. bad deal?

I noticed i10's headlights are little weak. Can I get more intensity of light without changing wattage of bulbs?
Old 8th January 2010, 21:57   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meonbhp View Post
I
An immobilizer after losing 3M sun-film, 5K and coating.. bad deal?

I noticed i10's headlights are little weak. Can I get more intensity of light without changing wattage of bulbs?
An immobilizer is always better as it can prevent theft of your car.

For the bulbs, you can go for "Philips Xtreme Power" or "Philips Crystal Vision". Both these are 60/55W and would just retrofit.
Old 11th January 2010, 10:06   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
Update

Got a call from service adviser. They have checked the following but still the rattling is present
a) Engine mounts for any loose nut etc
b) Steering assembly
c) Cross Member
d) Suspension nuts/bolts/joints

They are continuing the investigation and hopeful to catch something by tomorrow afternoon. From the conversation with the adviser, I can sense an intent to resolve the issue. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that the problem is caught by Hyundai.
I got a call on Friday evening that the car was ready for delivery and I can come and check the under steering sound as well as the clutch hardness. I was occupied on Friday and told the adviser that I would be coming on Saturday. Reached service center on saturday noon only to find that neither the service adviser nor the technician ( lets call them SA1 and T1 ) were available as both were on leave

Nevertheless, I was attended by a new guy who took me for the TD. The clutch now was feeling better and the issue looked to have been addressed. But what I found now is that
  • The car is pulling to left if steering is left one the car is moving straight
  • The horn is sounding weird as if it has gone out of tune
I showed this to the guy and proceeded towards the uneven road. As soon as I hit upon the uneven road - the ghostly under steering sound was back

I showed this to the guy with me and we return to the service center. I am now assigned a new adviser SA2. He now calls another senior technician T2 and with SA2 and T2, we go for another TD. I additionally notice that the fuel tank when which was slightly less than half tank when I brought the car for service - is now showing low fuel warning. I was surprised to see this but assumed that could be because of TD taken by SA1 and T1 as they had communicated over phone a couple of times.

As we went back to the uneven road, T2 could hear the sound I was talking of. Some looking here and there around the front fender and we are back in the service center. I am told to sit in the customer lounge by SA2 and wait for an update

Sometime later, I am told that T2 is suspecting something in the caliper assembly and they are looking into the same. I am told it will take 1-1.5 hours and I can wait there if I wish. Keeping an optimistic attitude, I decide to wait only to find after one hour that the issue is still there after they tightened the caliper related assembly and all. This meant that they might now like to change the caliper assembly and see what happens.

I had no other option but to leave now since the car wont be available today as it was already 5:30 PM. I was told that they will have some update by Sunday afternoon. I talked F2F to Mr Ankur who is the customer care manager and explained the situation again to him ( He is handling the case ). He assured me that they will do their best to address the problem.

It was a disappointing experience as the car was declared fit by Hyundai and the problem was still so much evident . Again another set of investigation had begun

I called up SA2 on Sunday afternoon only to know that caliper assembly change hasn't helped and now they are planning to either totally tighten or replace the front suspension. I double checked if T1 has also been updated about the situation since he looked in to the issue first of all and was told that he is also involved now.

I was told that they would have an update regarding the suspension only at around 7PM.

I haven't received any call after yesterday afternoon from Hyundai. I am being extremely patient through out this time anticipating that the time I invest in the problem leads to its solution. However I am yet to see success.

I hope Hyundai doesn't disappoint me and gets this issue resolved.
Keeping my fingers crossed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by meonbhp View Post

Please have a look at this post
Old 11th January 2010, 11:56   #199
BHPian

Thats sad svaid. Anyway, lets really wait and watch. The problem seems to be really tricky. Anyway, is there a possibility to open the dashboard and check? Could the sound be from somewhere there?( Can the dashboard be opened in the first place? ) Because as i said before, the sound seems to be coming from somewhere inside the dashboard.

Last edited by iPai : 11th January 2010 at 11:57. Reason: Spell check
Old 14th January 2010, 09:43   #200
BHPian

Under-Steering Noise

On Monday(11th), I called up SA in the morning to know that they are checking some parts in suspension and hopefully they should be able to fix the problem. They were saying that it is a minor noise and somehow difficult in detecting.

I was now really running out of patience. I told them that I am unhappy with the progress and not sure if the investigation is heading in the right direction.

I got a call in the evening that they believe now that the issue has been resolved. They have taken a few TDs and things look good. I can come next day ( Tuesday ) at around 11:30 PM and take the delivery. I was quite relieved to hear this.

Tuesday morning 10 AM - As I am settling in office and thinking of going to HMP in sometime, I see a call from SA on my cellphone. I pickup the phone

SA - Hello Mr Vaid, This is SA XX from HMP. Have you started for HMP ?

svaid - No

SA - Sir, Mr YY to whom you had shown the noise when you came on saturday was not available yesterday evening. I just went with him to double check the noise and we still feel there is some noise coming

svaid -

SA - Sir, I will give you a call to update the status. Please start only when I inform you that everything is fine. I am sorry for this fiasco

I am now really furious. I keep the phone down and call up Mr Ankur - the customer care manager who is handling the case and tell him about the situation. I clearly tell him that It doesn't appear that HMP is capable of solving the issue since its going nowhere. I am now extremely disappointed and running out of patience. Mr Ankur assures me that he will look in to the same immediately again and make sure things go right.

In the afternoon, I recieve call from SA telling me that they have called people from Hyundai technical team who are looking in to the issue. They have explained to those people what all has been tried in the workshop without success. They are now looking in to the car on their own. He claims that they need time till 4:30 and that issue should get resolved as they are the best guys

I keep my fingers crossed, hope and pray what he says becomes true.
To be continued......
Old 17th January 2010, 09:33   #201
BHPian

Quote:
The following image shows the gear lock position as installed on my i10.

This is irritating as the slot for the gear lock stick touches the left knee all the time. Any owners who plan to install the gear lock - please make sure that you get the installation done in such a way that any similar problem doesn't happen
I got the gear lock installed in my i10 ERA yesterday.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1686304

There is no other way possible in i10 to install the Gear Lock.
Old 17th January 2010, 12:18   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
I got the gear lock installed in my i10 ERA yesterday.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1686304

There is no other way possible in i10 to install the Gear Lock.
I had a look at your update in your thread - very nice set of updates and observations on i10. Would appreciate if you could post a few pics of installed gear lock.

Further, you mentioned that your battery also went flat. I think, yours atleast lasted till 30K, mine gave up in just 13 months or around 16k kms ( Refer here ). Since my battery was still under warranty, didnt go for a different brand but rather got a new battery from EXIDE. I saw that you have mentioned in your thread regarding the fact that OEM battery has some lining at the bottom which helps it to fit better in the slot - could you post some pics to explain it further. BTW - I think you did the right move by putting AMARON

I also noticed that during 5th service you got radiator flushing and engine decarbonisation done. I feel the service center just used you to mint money as these are the jobs where they will have their own margins. Did you check directly from Hyundai if these jobs were really required?
Old 17th January 2010, 19:48   #203
BHPian

Quote:
I had a look at your update in your thread - very nice set of updates and observations on i10. Would appreciate if you could post a few pics of installed gear lock.
Thanks. I would rather thank you as your thread was an inspiration for me to wake up from hibernation and share my experiences with the fellow members.
I will try posting the pics tomorrow though they are ditto the way it is yours.

Quote:
Further, you mentioned that your battery also went flat. I think, yours atleast lasted till 30K, mine gave up in just 13 months or around 16k kms ( Refer here ). Since my battery was still under warranty, didnt go for a different brand but rather got a new battery from EXIDE. I saw that you have mentioned in your thread regarding the fact that OEM battery has some lining at the bottom which helps it to fit better in the slot - could you post some pics to explain it further. BTW - I think you did the right move by putting AMARON
I heard that the warranty for battery is 12 months. How come they replaced yours in 13 months?
Regarding lining at the bottom, surely I will upload the pics and also of the Jugaad so that you guys can have a clear idea.
I went for Amaron for 2 reasons.
1. Exide went off pretty soon against my expectation.
2. Amaron was Maintenance free and was also 400 bucks cheaper than Exide.

Quote:
I also noticed that during 5th service you got radiator flushing and engine decarbonisation done. I feel the service center just used you to mint money as these are the jobs where they will have their own margins. Did you check directly from Hyundai if these jobs were really required?
No, these jobs were as such NOT required. I went for it for
1. Read through the recommendations of fellow members regarding decarb every 10K.
2. My driving was much more on highways than in cities (90-10 ratio) and also with 100% AC On. Hence went for Radiator Flushing as well.
Though the charges were steep, but even also taking all this into account my so far maintenance cost is 30.26p/Km. (Not taking in account the battery cost) and 38.09p/km (if battery replacement is taken into account).
Whats your view?
Old 17th January 2010, 22:12   #204
BHPian

Just went through your Battery ordeal. Wondering that Hyundai told you that its 2 years warranty on OEM Battery while they told me clearly that OEM battery comes with 1 year battery.

Mods: - Please merge this with previous post.
Old 18th January 2010, 00:59   #205
Senior - BHPian

Nice complete information in this thread about i10. I empathize with svaid for making tech team at Hyundai learn about their product. I am researching forum for my mum's next car and I think i10 is potentially on the top. Except for the weak OEM halogens and mysterious noise I think there is nothing much wrong about the car.

My experience with the mysterious noise: On my earlier car the speedo used to make noise while it hovered around 60 and 65 a nice crisp Krrr noise that was recreated everytime without fail. Problem sorted out: The vibration was such that the dial used to bang with the glass in front, resolution: they put extra padding to enhance distance. Jugaad is the name of the game. I always caution everyone that do not get your dashboard open by service center guys as they have a field day and once they put it back it is never ever in correct condition; culptits Maruit, Tata and Honda alike.

Few things if i10 owners can talk inform me about;

1. How will be the Driving position for 5.5ft lady/6ft driver. Is the steering telescopic?
2. How is the ride quality? We will mostly use it on NH8 (Gurgaon to Delhi; once a week) and rest city within Gurgaon; about 100kms in weekdays and 1000kms per month.
3. How good is Hyundai service in Gurgaon? Anything to watch out for?
4. How is the handling at 100+ dash overtaking and +80 speed crusing?
5. How comfortable are the back seats and recline sometime the car will be chauffeur driven. Also it will be great if someone can comment on ingress and egress. A TD is scheduled and I will also add to the comments.
6. I saw the spec list and think Magna is Ok for her but is there any specific thing that the current Magna owners feel amiss with regular usage?
7. Is the real tray good enough to hold speakers?
8. Has anyone tried hands with upgrades? is there a compilation for a list of aftermarket equipment to make it a MEAN machine. Soon mum will have a Honda city in April and I can tweak the car, so is i10 good for mods?
9. I see that i10 electric is announced. Has anyone TDriven it? Any discounts currently?
10. What accessories are mandatory for this car?

Thank you!
Old 18th January 2010, 11:05   #206
BHPian

Please find my responses as given below in bold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post

1. How will be the Driving position for 5.5ft lady/6ft driver. Is the steering telescopic?
No, the steering is not telescopic but is height adjustible. For a 5.5 ft lady, it should not be a poblem at all. For a 6ft driver, it depends on the built. For a lean guy I dnt think its an issue but one with heavy frame should checkout the car in flesh to have a feel of the comfort.

2. How is the ride quality? We will mostly use it on NH8 (Gurgaon to Delhi; once a week) and rest city within Gurgaon; about 100kms in weekdays and 1000kms per month.
The ride quality in front is excellent. The rear is bumpy to say the least. If the road has lot of potholes, then backseat passenger is bound to face issues unless extra caution is taken
. Otherwise, it will be great to ride
I think service should not be an issue but I will leave someone from Gurgaon recommend or talk about it.
Overtaking and highway manners are great. There would not be a problem in overtaking at all as long as you are in the right gears. If you are a spirited driver, remember that the car's handling is limited by it's skinny OEM tyres.
5. How comfortable are the back seats and recline sometime the car will be chauffeur driven. Also it will be great if someone can comment on ingress and egress. A TD is scheduled and I will also add to the comments.
The ingress and egress are decent. The doors open wide and high seating position adds to comfort. As I mentioned earlier, the rear is bouncy over potholes/speed breaker. So the chauffeur has to ensure comfort of rear passenger there. The rear seat has good leg room.

6. I saw the spec list and think Magna is Ok for her but is there any specific thing that the current Magna owners feel amiss with regular usage?
It all depends on how you look at it. As such magna doesnt have anything lacking. However eg I have sportz variant which has music system with speakers, rear wiper, defogger which add to comfort.

I have sportz variant which comes with speakers in the door. So i will leave rest of the folks to comment on it. My personal opinion is that tray is not very strong. With some small grocery load, it already developed a small crack in my case.
8. Has anyone tried hands with upgrades? is there a compilation for a list of aftermarket equipment to make it a MEAN machine. Soon mum will have a Honda city in April and I can tweak the car, so is i10 good for mods?
For alloy and tyre upgrade, use the search function. You might like to replace the headlamp bulbs
9. I see that i10 electric is announced. Has anyone TDriven it? Any discounts currently?
I think it will be a while before we have more info on this.
Gear Lock, Central locking, tyre upgrade, headlamp upgrade, horn upgrade are the ones that come first in my thoughts

Thank you!
Old 18th January 2010, 11:15   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice complete information in this thread about i10. I empathize with svaid for making tech team at Hyundai learn about their product. I am researching forum for my mum's next car and I think i10 is potentially on the top. Except for the weak OEM halogens and mysterious noise I think there is nothing much wrong about the car.

My experience with the mysterious noise: On my earlier car the speedo used to make noise while it hovered around 60 and 65 a nice crisp Krrr noise that was recreated everytime without fail. Problem sorted out: The vibration was such that the dial used to bang with the glass in front, resolution: they put extra padding to enhance distance. Jugaad is the name of the game. I always caution everyone that do not get your dashboard open by service center guys as they have a field day and once they put it back it is never ever in correct condition; culptits Maruit, Tata and Honda alike.

Thank you!
1. It is not telescopic, i.e. for reach. But it is adjustable as to height - up/down. But there is enough room for adjustment of driver's seat to compensate. So 5.5 ft driver and 6 ft driver should both be ok. Obviously if seat is pushed back all the way, another 6ft person cannot sit in back, but that is common for most cars.
2. Quite good.
3. No idea, not in Gurgaon. Others in Gurgaon can comment.
4. The pickup of the 1.2 kappa is very good and it loves being revved. But beyond 100 kmph, it is better to upgrade the OEM tires. 80 is very comfortable in all respects.
5. Fairly comfortable, but possibly Beat / Swift is better in terms of ride quality. You must look at the Ritz also. Ingress/egress is very easy.
6. Not really, ask for immobiliser / remote locking. ICE you can always fit to your choice. You will need a dashboard cover, the beige dash and angle of windscreen does result in bad reflection. I think best option is to upgrade to alloys with 175 tires. Will improve handling, braking, etc.
7. No. But most ICE fellows will fit their own wooden tray at nominal extra cost.
8. No idea about mods, other than the tire upgrade.
9. I think it is more of concept, but one never knows with Hyundai. IMO with India's power shortage scenario, electric cars are a long way from being practical, even in next 5 years. Hybrids, yes maybe.
10. Usual - films (though I do not like them), mudflaps, mats, immobiliser, tire upgrade, dash cover, ICE.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 18th January 2010 at 11:23. Reason: oops: somebody beat me to it, but the comments are quite similar.
Old 18th January 2010, 12:29   #208
Senior - BHPian

This is what is most special at TBhp immediate reliable and true response from passionate people. Love the response. Thanks! @svaid and @sandeep108

I have fixed TD this complete week with Mum and driver doing rounds and then again coming weekend I will be with Mum.

Ritz is rules out as Mum does not like the shape and she is wary of Maruti's 'khadak jane ki issue' we had numerous Marutis in house from M800 to Baleno all start to rattle after 3 years, even though we take most care, even the driver is passionate about cars.

Spark is also out of contention as it is an aging platform and we will keep the car for least 7 years. It will pass on as the daily grocery shopping machine and tow kids to and fro their friends place.

Beat and i10 are the prime contenders may be Swift if it has upgrades in interiors and engine. Any news on that front?

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 18th January 2010, 14:07   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Beat and i10 are the prime contenders may be Swift if it has upgrades in interiors and engine. Any news on that front?

Thanks a lot guys!
Swift has been launched with K Series Engine. See here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Though the charges were steep, but even also taking all this into account my so far maintenance cost is 30.26p/Km. (Not taking in account the battery cost) and 38.09p/km (if battery replacement is taken into account).
Whats your view?
I don't deny the usefulness of the two things. However, I am not sure whether the two were really required at this stage of your vehicle and hence my feedback. Did you feel any difference in drive after the two jobs. Do share.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:45   #210
BHPian

Quote:
I don't deny the usefulness of the two things. However, I am not sure whether the two were really required at this stage of your vehicle and hence my feedback. Did you feel any difference in drive after the two jobs. Do share.
To say the least, not much of a difference.
And back to the question of engine decarb, the following threads were my mindmakers.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...on-engine.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-question.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks