Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 23:25   #256
BHPian

About the shifts and torque

Dear Cuboid !
Hello, and Congrats.
Quote:
I normally do nut rev engine as it is still in the run-in period.
Well, yes, about the Run In! there is so much to read around and all the chaos, whether our cars need it, or the engine or the whole system, or US(the drivers)! LoL
Well, I have spotted the manual saying:
do rpms between 2000~4000, and dont "race" the engine at idle
nothing other than that

Quote:
I try to change gears in : 1st-0kph, 2nd-10kpp, 3rd-20kph, 4th-40kph, as per the manual.
Can you please scan and share that part of manual!

Quote:
While changing to 2nd gear in ~10kph, the car would just stroll, there is no initial pull, once rpm increases a little bit the torque come sback
Quote:
But with AC this 2nd gear pull is lower.
Believe me> If I say, The car does NOT love any rpm below 1200!!
(thats what you will be doing if you take it in gear #2 at 10kmph,)
(does your car also give bass-like-humm at 1000~1300rpms?, mine does!)
and that too with added load of A/c

try to shift at close to 2000, if you shift well enough, you can take the next gear at 1400 rpm, and there the torque is fine! (with A/c, you need 1500 rpm atleast, so that you dont just stroll, but pull well too!)
I practice:
Gear#2 above 15kmph only!
Gear#3 at 30kmph (with A/c)
Gear#4 is good above 40 (with A/c)
Gear#5 at 40 (straight), at 50 or above (minor inclines/uphill)
Please go through
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...iciency-6.html
&
My thread: (has some rpm<>speed conversion I have seen in my i10, kindly compare!)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...m-flavour.html

Congratulations again!

Care.

/P.S.: Please post the part for shifting wrt kmph if you have that in the manual!/

Last edited by driverace : 13th April 2010 at 23:28.
Old 14th April 2010, 21:26   #257
BHPian

@driverace - you can find the company suggested gear change speeds in page 3 of the link Hyundai Motor Company :: Fuel Saving Tips

I got that as a booklet with the manual.

I have been following this. Not sure if this helps in better FE, but certainly the car seems to be more comfortable in these ranges.
Old 17th April 2010, 10:34   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
The Headlamp leveller at many a times is trying to level itself continuously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
I also experienced this auto levelling headlap thing, but unlike you, this happened when the headlamps were ON.
Guess what guys - I am also now party to your observation
I experienced it with the headlamp on. I was waiting to pick someone late evening and when I notice some "ghuunnnn ghuuuunnn" kind of noises. I looked here and there and couldnt make out from where was the sound coming.
However, i remembered your posts and started looking if headlamp beam was showing any noticeable movement. I couldnt notice any movement. My headlamp leveller was at level 3 at that point. So I changed it to level 2. Now I heard the same "ghuunnnnnn" sound and the beam settled to level 2. I put it back to 3 with the same "ghuuunnnn" and subsequent to that the sound vanished.

Definitely the sound was coming from there only as the nature of sound was same. However, as i suspected earlier, may be my knee could have touched there making the alignment of the rotating switch a bit fuzzy leading to that sound. Once i set it correctly by taking it to 2 and than back to 3 - sound did go away.

Let me know of any new observations on your end.
Old 20th April 2010, 03:46   #259
BHPian

Excellent thread, everything for i10s,

I have a couple of queries,

Last week while driving my i10 in a round-turn, the car felt unstable and felt like it would over turn if i floor any further( I was driving at around 50+kmph and its a descent in the flyover), since then i feel like the car is unstable at turns and lacks the grip, is it because of the tires i'm using(stock)? I inflate them to 32psi.(at 33 psi the ride is more bumpy)

I was using a swift abs for a week or so, could that be the reason for feeling the lack of grip? but the feel is substantial.

Does upsizing the tires improve braking? Because i feel the current braking some what in the lower side, it improved a bit after a long trip, but still not satisfactory.

I'm shifting the gears at ~3000 rpm, will it harm the engine?

Also, the car has run 6000+kms now, and it needs a servicing, But the next scheduled service is by 10K only, what should i do? should i wait till 9K or do a simple service now?
Old 20th April 2010, 12:54   #260
BHPian

Satheesh, upsizing will definitely help! You should see a big difference. I would let the experts speak on this.

Shifting@3000rpms may not harm the engine, but your FE will be less. Quite less in fact.

Regarding Braking, do you use the clutch simultaneously as you brake? If so, don't do it. Its bad practice. Braking efficiency reduces a lot if you use the clutch. Use the clutch at the end when you feel the car is going to lug.

OT, please see this thread on the effect of using Speed 97 on i10. A mileage of 21kmpl in city!!!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1846317

we need to explore this. I will try Speed97 for my next fill. Has anyone else tried??
Old 20th April 2010, 13:30   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
OT, please see this thread on the effect of using Speed 97 on i10. A mileage of 21kmpl in city!!!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1846317

we need to explore this. I will try Speed97 for my next fill. Has anyone else tried??
That's a interesting link @ipai. Thanks for sharing.
Need to try that. I had checked couple of months ago with BP petrol bunk near to my house in Malleswaram and they mentioned that they have stopped getting Speed 97 because of no demand for that.
Old 20th April 2010, 19:19   #262
Senior - BHPian

@ all

Whats the price of speed97 per litre?
Old 20th April 2010, 20:53   #263
BHPian

21kmpl ! my next fill is octane 97, but i guess its not quite common here, i have to go a bit far to get it filled, but will surely test it next time.

@ipai - i am using 13'' alloys, so cant go for 14'' right away, but i would be changing the tires from 155 to 175. would that help?
Old 17th May 2010, 12:50   #264
Senior - BHPian

Engine Oil

I am posting this here as most of the i10 owners visit this thread and has become a one stop reference.
I have done around 12k in my 1.2 Kappa and would be leaving it for 3rd service soon. Planning to change the engine oil this time. So any reviews/suggestions about the engine oils (Semi/Full Synthetic).
Old 11th June 2010, 10:28   #265
Senior - BHPian

This is great thread. Very informative indeed.

I have recently bought an i10 1.2 Magna.

Just want to know that do I really need a gear lock even if my car has come with immobilizer?
Old 15th June 2010, 15:34   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Just want to know that do I really need a gear lock even if my car has come with immobilizer?
Technically, immobilizers have proven to be extremely useful when it comes to security of the vehicle, minimizing chances of theft. However, that in no way suggests that they can not be broken/breached. Search on this forum and you would find the instance.

Its always useful to have an added level of safety like a gear/steering lock. If you do not mind spending the extra money for gear lock - I will recommend you to go for it. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Update on Speed 97
Folks, after feedback from you regarding good results with Speed 97 - I also tried 3 tank fulls of the same. Here are my observations ( all FE figures using tank full to tank full )
  • FE figures purely in city( NCR ) with 70% AC - 15.2, 14.8, 14.2
  • I felt marginal improvement in 1st/2nd gear pick up
  • The car felt a bit more smooth when pulling in 3rd gear
Overall, I really could not replicate either the high FE or any marked improvement in the drive and hence have resorted back to IOC premium. Do note that with IOC premium, I get a consistent FE of 13.8-15.5 in the same driving conditions as mentioned above.
Old 17th June 2010, 18:42   #267
Senior - BHPian

@Svaid,
Good to hear back from you after longtime.

I have started using Speed after Shell hiked up their normal petrol price. Shell normal petrol is Rs.60 in Bangalore. My findings after change over to Speed.
FE - marginal increase.
Very smooth when pulling in 3rd gear.
So will stick to speed until shell come back to earth from their sky rocketed prices.
Old 17th June 2010, 20:26   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
Guess what guys - I am also now party to your observation
I experienced it with the headlamp on. I was waiting to pick someone late evening and when I notice some "ghuunnnn ghuuuunnn" kind of noises. I looked here and there and couldnt make out from where was the sound coming.
However, i remembered your posts and started looking if headlamp beam was showing any noticeable movement. I couldnt notice any movement. My headlamp leveller was at level 3 at that point. So I changed it to level 2. Now I heard the same "ghuunnnnnn" sound and the beam settled to level 2. I put it back to 3 with the same "ghuuunnnn" and subsequent to that the sound vanished.

Definitely the sound was coming from there only as the nature of sound was same. However, as i suspected earlier, may be my knee could have touched there making the alignment of the rotating switch a bit fuzzy leading to that sound. Once i set it correctly by taking it to 2 and than back to 3 - sound did go away.

Let me know of any new observations on your end.
Hi guys, it seems this is a known issue with Hyundai but they're not acknowledging the problem. I was of the impression that this might be a one off or a regional case, but got to know that even EU & UK i10 owners are facing this problem. One of them had contacted their dealer and was informed that it was a problem with the motor unit inside the lamp. Long time back i too have heard the whirring noise in my i10 while it was parked but with Key at ON, i thought it must be the fuel pump priming. Offlate i'm not hearing this sound in my car. If it persists, i might set the level at 0 and disconnect the motor wires at the headlamp to avoid further adjustment. Usually i don't have anything heavy in the back of the car.
Old 18th June 2010, 02:39   #269
Senior - BHPian

there was a kind of thing, where you remove two screws from behind the driver foot well and adjust the TPS(throttle position sensor) setting from 7 to 5. so everytime it you acelerate the car doesnt go crazy already to bite. this claims has improved FE. found this at the hyundai uk forums. has somebody tried this?
Old 18th June 2010, 10:23   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
@Svaid,
Good to hear back from you after longtime.
So will stick to speed until shell come back to earth from their sky rocketed prices.
Thanks mate, Was a bit occupied for the past couple of months. I plan to pen down further experiences and my 4th service updates shortly.
BTW how much FE are you getting with Speed 97?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks