Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2009, 15:59   #166
BHPian

The Immobilizer SAGA

This is the email I wrote to HMIL for inquiring about the immobilizer in i10 that we had been discussing earlier in this thread.

from XXXXX <XXXXX@gmail.com>
to cr@hmil.net
date Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM
subject Immobilizer in i10

Hi

I am owner of i10 Kappa Sportz September 2008 model purchased from HMP New Delhi. As per my information at time of purchase of this vehicle, none of the i10 variants including the ASTA came with an in built immobilizer. However - off late I am hearing that the newer models of i10 do have immobilizer in them.

Even on the Hyundai i10 website [ HYUNDAI MOTOR INDIA - Hyundai i10 ], under the [ Safety & Security ] tab I don't see immobilizer listed as a feature in either of the variants.

Can you please clear the air on this? Additionally can you also let me know that if the newer models do have this feature, will it be possible for owners like me to get this added?

Thanks in advance
XXXX

I get an automated response a day later

from Customer Relations <cr@hmil.net>
to XXXX@gmail.com
date Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:17 PM
subject RE: Immobilizer in i10

Dear Customer,
This has reference to your mail regarding your Hyundai vehicle.
Please note that we are in receipt of your e-mail, we shall be advising our concerned Regional Office to coordinate with our dealer to arrange for necessary action to address your concern. You shall be hearing from our Dealer / Area Office within 3 working days. Please bear with us till such time.

In case you are not contacted within 3 working days, you may contact our Regional Offices from Monday to Friday between 8 am till 6 pm at:-

HMIL North Regional Office Service Support Ms. Neetu 0172-6605000
Sales Support Ms. Harpreet 0172-6605029

HMIL South Regional Office Service Support Ms. Latha 044-42204623
Sales Support Mr. Sivakumar 044-42204674

HMIL Central Regional Office Service Support Ms. Jayshree 011-66241100
Sales Support Ms.Aparna 011-66241100
HMIL West Regional Office Service Support Mr. Swapna 022-40969028
Sales Support Ms. Juanita 022-40969035

HMIL East Regional Office Service Support Mr. Chaitanya 033-40060047
Sales Support Ms. Subhadra 033-40060047
For any queries/complaints on product and service you may also reach us at our 24X7 Customer Care Toll Free Number: 1800-11-4645 (From MTNL/BSNL) or 9873564645 from others.

Thanking you and assuring you of our best possible services at all times.
Regards.
Customer Relations
Hyundai Motor India Ltd.

4 days later, I still dont get any response and I write another email

from XXXX <XXXXX@gmail.com>
to Customer Relations <cr@hmil.net>,
hmidelhi@nde.vsnl.net.in
date Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:02 PM
subject Re: Immobilizer in i10

Hi

It has been almost four days now and I still haven't received any information on my query which I believe is not at all complex to take this long to answer. Please let me know if the information requested can be provided by you.

Regards

Still no response....
So I finally decide to call up the Delhi number and speak to Ms. Jayshree today morning. I didn't get any yes/no answer. My mobile number was taken with an assurance that they will get back to me but till now no follow up from their side
Old 15th December 2009, 16:16   #167
Senior - BHPian

@ipai,
I enquired about the seat covers in JC Road this weekend and they quoted Rs.3000 INR for Art Leather(No negotiations done).

@Svaid,
I too experienced the same with regards to the RPM. Here is the pics of it.
Attached Thumbnails
i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-dsc00275.jpg  

Old 15th December 2009, 16:26   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
@ipai,
I enquired about the seat covers in JC Road this weekend and they quoted Rs.3000 INR for Art Leather(No negotiations done).

@Svaid,
I too experienced the same with regards to the RPM. Here is the pics of it.
Thanks rk_sans. Actually the guy in Konark Car Acessories showed me the following:
1) Fabric seat covers costing around 2750 to 3000
2) Art Leather covers costing around 3500
3) Dolphin Leatherite covers costing around 6000.

Dolphin seemed the best among them. I searched about the same in the forum. Not many comments on it. Also,Concerns about the heating part are not yet fully cleared.

@svaid: My RPM variation is similar to rk_sans(Both Bengalureans - same weather pattern)
Old 18th December 2009, 14:02   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaid View Post
So I finally decide to call up the Delhi number and speak to Ms. Jayshree today morning. I didn't get any yes/no answer. My mobile number was taken with an assurance that they will get back to me but till now no follow up from their side
No follow up on Hyundai as yet. I am giving up on this now
Old 22nd December 2009, 00:36   #170
Senior - BHPian

Pics of the headlamps after the change

Sorry for the delayed pics.
Low beam
i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-dsc00302-small.jpg

High beam
i10 kappa sportz - 1 year/16K kms ownership report-dsc00303-small.jpg
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:18   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Hmmm next time as soon as i hear it i will rush to the showroom and specifically ask for a different consultant.
I really empathize with you. This is just one of the things you cant do much about.
You mentioned that the adviser had seen similar issue with other i10s. Do ask him what has been the resolution for that whenever you visit next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratos11 View Post
svaid
Have been noticing it since 2-3 days,RPM while car is cold is just below 1k.This thing came to my notice when I've just inserted the key & checking for different indicators,handbreaks etc.
Mine is a relatively new i20 with around 400 kms covered.Any ideas why is it so?
I also dont have a good handle on the reason behind this - plan to discuss with the service centre whenever I visit next.
I was able to analyze this RPM thing only when I felt some engine vibrations on my feet during idle( feet resting on the floor of the driver seat). There I noticed that RPM was a tad below 1K. If I would press the accelerator and make it >=1K, no vibration would be felt. From there onwards I tried keeping an eye on the RPM needle. Note that the vibration I am referring is a very miniscule one and that too when you really feel/observe closely.
Old 24th December 2009, 16:14   #172
BHPian

Quote:
No follow up on Hyundai as yet. I am giving up on this now
Today I got a call from unknown Noida number ( 0120-2445591 ). There was a lady on the other side claiming to be calling from Hyundai customer care. On the first thought - I wondered if this was based on my call to inquire about that immobilizer thing.

However i found later that was some generic feedback call from Hyundai. I was asked a few questions and I had to give a rating from 1-->10. I was not sure if the customer care lady would help me a single bit with the issues but anyways thought it to be a good way to vent out my frustration with the under steering noise, bad cleaning of car after servicing, hard clutch story etc as mentioned in my ownership report.

Of course on hearing my story, the lady apologized with the promise that someone would get back ( I am not sure anyone will ). With a final rating of around 7, we kept the phone down.

I will keep you posted if I hear anything again from their side.
Old 26th December 2009, 07:51   #173

Quote:
Today I got a call from unknown Noida number ( 0120-2445591 ). There was a lady on the other side claiming to be calling from Hyundai customer care. On the first thought - I wondered if this was based on my call to inquire about that immobilizer thing.

However i found later that was some generic feedback call from Hyundai. I was asked a few questions and I had to give a rating from 1-->10. I was not sure if the customer care lady would help me a single bit with the issues but anyways thought it to be a good way to vent out my frustration with the under steering noise, bad cleaning of car after servicing, hard clutch story etc as mentioned in my ownership report.

Of course on hearing my story, the lady apologized with the promise that someone would get back ( I am not sure anyone will ). With a final rating of around 7, we kept the phone down.

I will keep you posted if I hear anything again from their side.
Not to hurt anyone but thought of sharing my findings on this immobilizer...

Today I went to Hyundai dealer (at Hyderabad) for PDI of our vehicle (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1650319-post369.html) and confirmed that there is an immobilizer in i10 (as per him, in current/latest versions). I noticed same as Mr.Bangalore informed to this forum and its confirmed with showroom person who was with me during this PDI.

(As I am a newbie to this don't know how to upload this image and providing the description here ) And also if you have a look at the url HYUNDAI MOTOR INDIA - Hyundai i10 , when you scrolled down to "warning & Security" section of this page, Please have a look at the image where the immobilizer icon is not displayed but where as we have seen on this thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1615591-post124.html). I will be taking delivery today and I will try to post the image in a day or two.
Old 27th December 2009, 23:52   #174
BHPian

hi Svaid, excellent review and follow ups.

shocked that your clutch lasted just 14k kms. would like to share few points.

This underpinning rattling sound is a generic problem in i10's and also on i20's as both cars share the same. Also observed that it increases or gets more frequent when its raining or driving on bad wet roads. as from the i20's posts, seems its coming from the steering colomn, which i personally also feel sounds logical.

also the reverse gear getting stuck problem. i have observed that the gear problem is generally after the car has been standing for some time.(as that's when you need to reverse mostly), so if you give it a few seconds idling, the gear slots easily. do try and share if it solves. it does for me.

one more dis-comfortable feature is that the wipers don't have an intermittent feature, which becomes an irritant during light rains when you don't want a continuous swipe.

Also PA=passenger, and DR= driver side to distinguish as their lengths are different.

F.E. = i get about 12.5 kmpl with ac on, in city. no matter how much i try can't seem to better it. and this from a guy who won 3rd prize in hyundai miles rally with 40.1 KMPL!!!!

Apart from above, the car is a gem and a breeze to drive in city. a fresh inviting drive which thrills you everyday.
Old 28th December 2009, 09:48   #175
BHPian

My mileage has been improving slightly lately. I saw I got 13 kmpl (full A/C, in Bangalore City traffic) for my last full tank. The last time it was 12.5.
My second service is due this week. Hoping to see the FE improve after that.
Old 28th December 2009, 10:19   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvnr06 View Post
I noticed same as Mr.Bangalore informed to this forum and its confirmed with showroom person who was with me during this PDI.
Thanks for the info. It looks more or less clear that the latest versions do have the immobilizer. I still dont understand why Hyundai is shying away from officially communicating it ( may be thats how their customer care works!! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by gultajkanwal View Post

shocked that your clutch lasted just 14k kms.
I was also equally concerned. With my other car living with the OEM clutch for 81K kms, this came as a huge shock. I will request fellow members to keep an eye on their clutch and report anything unexpected that is observed. Note that most of us have been on the same page with the fact that the pull in the lower gears ( especially in KAPPA ) is on the sluggish side. This effectively means more work with the clutch in stop-go traffic.

Quote:
This underpinning rattling sound is a generic problem in i10's and also on i20's as both cars share the same. Also observed that it increases or gets more frequent when its raining or driving on bad wet roads. as from the i20's posts, seems its coming from the steering colomn, which i personally also feel sounds logical.
From your post, it appears as if you have some further information on this. Following are my queries related to the same.
Could you elaborate on the source of this information regarding the fact that it is a generic problem ( has it been told to you by someone in Hyundai? ) ? Additionally if both the cars share the same platform, why is it related to steering column in i20 and not in i10 ( Note that in my case, the whole steering column was removed and things were checked but it didnt help in solving the problem ) ?

Quote:
also the reverse gear getting stuck problem. i have observed that the gear problem is generally after the car has been standing for some time.(as that's when you need to reverse mostly), so if you give it a few seconds idling, the gear slots easily. do try and share if it solves. it does for me.
I haven't observed similar behavior. My personal observation is that the reverse gear is moody - it will either slot butter smooth or will get slotted with resistance depending on its own discretion!! But neverthless will keep an eye on what you said.

Quote:
F.E. = i get about 12.5 kmpl with ac on, in city. no matter how much i try can't seem to better it.
Have a look at iPai's post related to driving style( page 10 ) on Mr Kappa to get maximum FE. Make sure you avoid un-necessary gear shifts and upshift at 2K RPM and drive with light foot as much as possible.
Old 28th December 2009, 10:37   #177
BHPian

Millage Issues

Hi

I have been reading the i10 thread with great interest. I have been a i10 kappa sportz owner since Feb 09. have been having the following issue since inception. There is a vibration in the clutch while we start moving in the first gear. In order to compensate for the same one has to slightly rev the car to push off in the first gear. this was brought to the attention of the service station but they dont seem to have done anything about it.
Also my every day driving distance is appox 20 km with each trip beeing not more that 2 to 3 km max in traffic with a/c on. Does the avg distance per trip have an impact on the millage. I live in south mumbai and have not got beyound 8 Km/l. The car has done about 8 k km and we have finished the first two services.
In stop and go traffic conditions the wide gear ratios of the i10 kappa require constant gear shifting between first and second and then back to first. In fact when there in a slightly open stretch off road i sometimes don't go beyond the third gear, since the same is quite adequate for cruising up to 60 km because the fourth gear lacks grunt below 70 to 80 km since the ratio is quite wide.

All in all after reading various experiences I think the i10 with the irdi engine or the kappa with an auto is the perfect choice when city driving exceeds 80% of your daily driving.
Old 28th December 2009, 11:09   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
I live in south mumbai and have not got beyound 8 Km/l.
8 Km/l
Quote:
In fact when there in a slightly open stretch off road i sometimes don't go beyond the third gear, since the same is quite adequate for cruising up to 60 km because the fourth gear lacks grunt below 70 to 80 km since the ratio is quite wide.
I am unable to understand your sentence, are you telling that you drive in 3rd gear at speeds of 60 km ?
Old 28th December 2009, 11:23   #179
BHPian

Quote:
There is a vibration in the clutch while we start moving in the first gear. In order to compensate for the same one has to slightly rev the car to push off in the first gear. this was brought to the attention of the service station but they dont seem to have done anything about it.
Talk to the workshop/service centre manager about your problem. To make sure this is not an isolated observation, drive a couple of i10s in the service centre itself (you can get feel of the first gear) and in case you find the clutch response in them alright wrt your car; you have a case to get the issue corrected.

Quote:
Also my every day driving distance is appox 20 km with each trip beeing not more that 2 to 3 km max in traffic with a/c on. Does the avg distance per trip have an impact on the millage. I live in south mumbai and have not got beyound 8 Km/l. The car has done about 8 k km and we have finished the first two services.
I think 8 kmpl is shocking(ly) low. Lets forget about your daily commute route. Why dont you take your car for a 20 km spin on open road sometime during the weekend where you drive in higher gears majority of the time and note down the tank full to tank full ( or auto cut to auto cut ) mileage and observe if it is still low. In case it is, there is some problem with the vehicle which needs attention.

Quote:
In stop and go traffic conditions the wide gear ratios of the i10 kappa require constant gear shifting between first and second and then back to first. In fact when there in a slightly open stretch off road i sometimes don't go beyond the third gear, since the same is quite adequate for cruising up to 60 km because the fourth gear lacks grunt below 70 to 80 km since the ratio is quite wide.
Most of the other users on the forum would concur with your views about the first/second gear usage in stop and go traffic. However, driving @ 60 kmph in 3rd gear and the fact that you feel that 4th gear lacks grunt below 70/80 leads me again to believe that there is some issue there. In either of the gears >=3rd gear - there is excellent pickup response at >=2K RPM. For an apples to apples comparison, I get the following speeds in 5th gear corresponding to the mentioned RPMs on a flat road
2K RPM --> 70 Kmph
2.5K RPM --> 85 Kmph
3K RPM --> 100 Kmph

As you can see its linear. Why dont you observe the same on your vehicle?
Old 28th December 2009, 12:23   #180
BHPian

hi

What i meant was that since I don't get a chance to exceed 60 KM/H in normal city driving the top most gear I use if the 3rd gear since even at 60km/h the engine is not strained. If one shifts to 4th and one has to slow down to may be 40/km h then the fourth gear is not bale to build up speed again since the rm is low because of the wide ratios.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks