Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2009, 01:53   #106
Senior - BHPian

2000 kms update

Reposting 2000 kms update (images did not come through in earlier post)

Update 2000 kms:
Continue to get amazing FE (Delhi/NCR including expressways - no highways)
Tyre pressure - 33 psi
133 PS of pure pleasure - new Honda Civic S (Tafeta White)-p4.jpg

Fog lamps installed
I also got hold of the OEM fog lamps (imported from Taiwan) for 4K bucks. The package came with full kits including wire harness,clips and switch. Still to get the momo pedals though.. I should get hold of it possibly by next week..

Shots with the fog lamps:

133 PS of pure pleasure - new Honda Civic S (Tafeta White)-p1.jpg
133 PS of pure pleasure - new Honda Civic S (Tafeta White)-p2.jpg
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2009, 01:58   #107
BHPian

those are some good FE figures there....
the fogs also are looking quite good....
the front now looks more complete kind of, with them...
Old 22nd December 2009, 03:20   #108
Team-BHP Support

@ITnerd: Isn't the recommended tyre pressure 30 psi? Or are you filling 33 psi on account of a tyre upgrade?
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:25   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsokhi View Post
those are some good FE figures there....
the fogs also are looking quite good....
the front now looks more complete kind of, with them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
@ITnerd: Isn't the recommended tyre pressure 30 psi? Or are you filling 33 psi on account of a tyre upgrade?
+1 to captainsokhi - In fact I would say the FE figures are out of this world for a Civic You are getting equal to or more FE than most small cars! Are you driving with a light right foot?
Axe77 the company recommended tyre presure is 30 psi.
iTNerd how is the ride with 33 psi, does the ride become hard?
I was under the impression with an increase in tyre width/upsize the pressure is reduced by a couple of psi. Is it due to your tyres 205/65 15?
Thanks.
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:49   #110
Senior - BHPian

mantras to good FE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
+1 to captainsokhi - In fact I would say the FE figures are out of this world for a Civic You are getting equal to or more FE than most small cars! Are you driving with a light right foot?
Axe77 the company recommended tyre presure is 30 psi.
iTNerd how is the ride with 33 psi, does the ride become hard?
I was under the impression with an increase in tyre width/upsize the pressure is reduced by a couple of psi. Is it due to your tyres 205/65 15?
Thanks.
Yes, even I am amazed! I stay in the suburb (Noida near the expressway) and most of travelling are not at peak hours, but traffic is always a problem in Delhi at all time.. I managed to get around 11-12 kmpl on my SX4, but with the Civic, it get better. It's not that I am completely light foot.. I do revv the car at times, especially on the expressway... But most of the time, I cruze around 80-90 kmph within 2500-3000 RPM.

May be these mantras might be contributing to good FE for me:
1) iVTEC engine - on lower RPM, only 8 valves powers the car
2) Low resistance, silica based tyres - Primacy LC
3) Light foot on the gas pedal
4) Aero-dynamic design
5) 1210 kgs - just 10 kgs less than SX4 zxi
6) Suburb residence
7) Use ACC when required only
8) FE display - a good feature that always warn and concern me of falling FE reading when revving hard..
9) Age catching up (no typical boy racer attitude)

I think one important factor is the upgrade to Michelin Primacy LC. And yes, I tried the recommended 30 psi, but the size and tyre composition (silica based) has changed.. and at 30 psi, the tyre kinda bulge on the side (due to soft side walls) and the ride was a bit bumpy and noisy too.. on one Michelin test in Thailand, they used a civic 1.8 i-VTEC with the primacy LC with 2.4 bar (around 33-34 psi) to extract the optimum level of FE, ride comfort and reduced noise level (Michelin Primacy LC Review – pretty decent comfort tyres!)

So I figured let me experiment with different pressure..Played around with the pressure to find the right pressure that suits my driving style and the acceptance of comfort/FE and NVH... and at 33 psi, the car is not that bumpy and handling is precise to an extent, and FE figure is amazing..
That's why I think it is not needed to follow car manufacturer recommendation after the tyres have been changed/upsize to other type or brands.

A good video demonstration on the Primacy LC..

Old 22nd December 2009, 12:22   #111
BHPian

It seems you are enjoying your civic...Congrats man , what about the lower floor height on speed breakers ? I have heard a lot about civic owners complaining about car floor bumping on stones and breakers...
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:09   #112
Senior - BHPian

A funny side: I was driving down home after watching Avatar late night yesterday. As soon as I start the car, the Civic's dash, blue illumination and visibility remind me of the spaceships/gadgets in the movie and inspired me to literally reap the empty roads, twisting and turning, with the RPM reaching 6K and the sweet note of the iVTEC... very intoxicating feeling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaushik View Post
It seems you are enjoying your civic...Congrats man , what about the lower floor height on speed breakers ? I have heard a lot about civic owners complaining about car floor bumping on stones and breakers...
thanks akaushik! No issue on GC.. have not bottom out it yet! the new Civic has a stiffer suspension setup than earlier ones. Further, my GC is 176 mm, after upsizing the tyres to 205/65 R15.. And as you stay in Delhi, you know that roads are excellent and speed breakers are not that high.
Old 23rd December 2009, 19:53   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
May be these mantras might be contributing to good FE for me:
1) iVTEC engine - on lower RPM, only 8 valves powers the car
Correction there. The R18A shuts off one intake valve while on the low cam, so that's 12 valves active, not 8.

Amazing FE though. Nice to hear you still drive it like it's meant to be driven when the mood hits you. I'm very rarely not in the mood, so my FE is in the pits.
Old 23rd December 2009, 20:28   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A funny side: I was driving down home after watching Avatar late night yesterday. As soon as I start the car, the Civic's dash, blue illumination and visibility remind me of the spaceships/gadgets in the movie and inspired me to literally reap the empty roads, twisting and turning, with the RPM reaching 6K and the sweet note of the iVTEC... very intoxicating feeling..
Thank god, you didnt try to to fly it. Congratulations for the car, Sir!. Accept my appologies if its a bit too late..

The spoiler fits in perfect and enhances the looks of this car. The car looks even better with the foglights. Also 4k for the foglights is excellent. Inside, this thing looks exactly like a space ship, the blue illumination certainly reminds you of Avatar!

Just one suggestion: Try to fit in some good side skirts and the car will be a stunner. Whenever I see a civic with out side skirts and spoiler, especially white, I feel something is missing. May be i have gone used to seeing my cousin's white sport everyday.

Did you take the car on greater noida expressway. I went there last saturday after a while (say about a year) and loved it. touched 187 on my cedia. If you havent, HURRY UP.

Lastly, which pedals are you getting.. Sparco or what? Do post pics when you get them.

Wish you miles of happiness.
Drive safe!

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 23rd December 2009 at 20:40.
Old 24th December 2009, 23:49   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Correction there. The R18A shuts off one intake valve while on the low cam, so that's 12 valves active, not 8.

Amazing FE though. Nice to hear you still drive it like it's meant to be driven when the mood hits you. I'm very rarely not in the mood, so my FE is in the pits.
My bad! Thanks for enlighting me though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Thank god, you didnt try to to fly it. Congratulations for the car, Sir!. Accept my appologies if its a bit too late..
I could have flown if there was a storm or typhoon swirling around. And PLEASE, don't mock me by calling 'Sir'.. call me buddy, if you wish.. anyway thanks..

Quote:
Just one suggestion: Try to fit in some good side skirts and the car will be a stunner. Whenever I see a civic with out side skirts and spoiler, especially white, I feel something is missing. May be i have gone used to seeing my cousin's white sport everyday.
Yeah, I might add the Type R side skirts and the rear bumper soon..the new front is the same (almost) with the Type R front bumper

Quote:
Did you take the car on greater noida expressway. I went there last saturday after a while (say about a year) and loved it. touched 187 on my cedia. If you havent, HURRY UP.
Yes. In fact, I stay in Sector 93 (ATS green) which is just on the left side of the Greater noida expressway, so I hit the express way everyday.. and that's where I revv it as much as possible.. my personal best so far is 173... btw, you should drive the entire greater noida expressway in the night just to see the 4 lanes lighting.. its like landing a plane on a runway.. if you hit that place sometime, lets catch up..

Quote:
Lastly, which pedals are you getting.. Sparco or what? Do post pics when you get them.
Probably lenso or momo.. I have still to get them though..
Old 25th December 2009, 00:38   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is what I am looking for.. think they are from Momo

133 PS of pure pleasure - new Honda Civic S (Tafeta White)-pedals.jpg

133 PS of pure pleasure - new Honda Civic S (Tafeta White)-dc5r20pedals.jpg
Old 25th December 2009, 15:51   #117
Senior - BHPian

in-car camcorder/camera mount!

Just in the morning today, I got busted by Noida police for over-speeding.. 300 bucks gone in drain... the traffic police guy informed me that there is an interceptor somewhere in the expressway, and I was over-speeding above 80 kmph.. When I informed my accessories guy, he advised me to install a radar detector gadget (some Whistler brand).. but it costs around 4500 bucks. Has anyone used one?

After a long search, I was planning to put an online order for an in-car comcorder headrest mount today, which would have costed me around $ 150 (including postage charge) and probably around 30% in custom duty back here.. But fortunately my car accessories guy informed me that he had obtained one headrest mount.. and it happened to be an accessory for SONY handicam.. It was a bit different from what I had in mind, but anyway works for me.. so got it! Finally I can now have quality video recording from inside the car!

133 PS of pure pleasure - new Honda Civic S (Tafeta White)-1.jpg

133 PS of pure pleasure - new Honda Civic S (Tafeta White)-2.jpg

133 PS of pure pleasure - new Honda Civic S (Tafeta White)-3.jpg

Last edited by iTNerd : 25th December 2009 at 16:02.
Old 25th December 2009, 17:36   #118
Senior - BHPian

Please find my replies in Bold

Quote:
I could have flown if there was a storm or typhoon swirling around. And PLEASE, don't mock me by calling 'Sir'.. call me buddy, if you wish.. anyway thanks..

I think you took it the other way, It wasnt to mock you. Just that I am used addressing seniors by saying Sir. Accept my appologies if you felt bad.

Yeah, I might add the Type R side skirts and the rear bumper soon..the new front is the same (almost) with the Type R front bumper

Great

Yes. In fact, I stay in Sector 93 (ATS green) which is just on the left side of the Greater noida expressway, so I hit the express way everyday.. and that's where I revv it as much as possible.. my personal best so far is 173... btw, you should drive the entire greater noida expressway in the night just to see the 4 lanes lighting.. its like landing a plane on a runway.. if you hit that place sometime, lets catch up..

Live near the expressway... Just Perfect!
Yes, I did hit the expressway at night at around 1 am. The expressway certainly looks like a runway. I haven't seen a better lit expressway, not even in UK.

Probably lenso or momo.. I have still to get them though..

I have been looking for these for a while, still havent managed to find a neat looking set. If you do manage to find them, I would love to buy another set for myself.

Just in the morning today, I got busted by Noida police for over-speeding.. 300 bucks gone in drain... the traffic police guy informed me that there is an interceptor somewhere in the expressway, and I was over-speeding above 80 kmph.. When I informed my accessories guy, he advised me to install a radar detector gadget (some Whistler brand).. but it costs around 4500 bucks. Has anyone used one?

Just switch on your headlights if you are over speeding on highway. the camera wont be able to track your speed. So why spend Rs.4500 on something like this.. I have seen my friends using devices like these in UK, but thats because there are a lot of motorway stretches which have speed cameras. so something like this certainly help.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 25th December 2009 at 17:46.
Old 27th December 2009, 11:43   #119
Senior - BHPian

@iTNerd: The fog lamps look great and adds to the grandeur of the car. Going by what you are saying, 4K is a steal for those lamps compared to what the dealer charges.

Did you buy them online or from a dealer within your city ?
Old 27th December 2009, 22:11   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you took it the other way, It wasnt to mock you. Just that I am used addressing seniors by saying Sir. Accept my appologies if you felt bad.
haha.. no worries buddy! And I am no senior by age. LOL.. (~29 yrs).. so cool!

Quote:
Live near the expressway... Just Perfect!
Yes, I did hit the expressway at night at around 1 am. The expressway certainly looks like a runway. I haven't seen a better lit expressway, not even in UK.
yeah.. its a nice track to be in too.. I often take a joy ride on it late night when I feel bored of work... will capture a video soon and post it here...

Quote:
I have been looking for these for a while, still havent managed to find a neat looking set. If you do manage to find them, I would love to buy another set for myself
Yes.. same here too! So, I had ordered a proper Civic Type R pedals through my accessories dealer.. but has not arrived yet :(

Quote:
Just switch on your headlights if you are over speeding on highway. the camera wont be able to track your speed. So why spend Rs.4500 on something like this.. I have seen my friends using devices like these in UK, but thats because there are a lot of motorway stretches which have speed cameras. so something like this certainly help.
How does switching on the headlights help to avoid being detected?

Quote:
@iTNerd: The fog lamps look great and adds to the grandeur of the car. Going by what you are saying, 4K is a steal for those lamps compared to what the dealer charges.

Did you buy them online or from a dealer within your city ?
Yes, 4K against 20K for the OEM.. that's madness pricing! I bought from my local accessories dealer

Last edited by iTNerd : 27th December 2009 at 22:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks