Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 08:18   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha
I don't have much idea about the VTEC activation in Manual Civic.
memeber- DOT has vtec indicator installed in his civic, he should be able to give you the right RPM's at which the VTEC activates n deactivates in AT Civic.
Both M/T and A/T use the same R18A unit in the same state of tune. iVTEC operation range is between 1500 rpm and 3000 rpm (there are charts and graphs from that Temple of VTEC Asia article, including the link to the article itself) at many points in the Civic maintenance and service thread.

But it's not just about the rpm. Load, throttle position and a couple of other things also contribute to iVTEC activation in this unit.

The only contributing to the factor to different F/E in A/T vs. M/T Civics is the A/T's taller gearing, all else (load, driving style and conditions) remaining equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
My own experience is that when the VTeC gets going, so does the Niagara Fall, i.e. mileage (or rather kilometrage) goes for a bit of a toss.
Professor, in the iVTEC activation range in the R18A, with light throttle and/or cruising the F/E should *improve* dramatically, unless of course you are talking of the "litres per 100 km" figure, which would fall like the Niagara.

Regards,
spadix
Old 11th April 2012, 11:10   #152
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver

With gentle driving I did not find the VTeC cam coming on at even 2500 rpm! But mine is an AT where one can trigger the VTeC by just pushing the gas pedal hard. In fact from 75kph onwards I can stop it from going into 4rd (and definitely 3rd) by pussyfooting the throttle.
Old 11th April 2012, 20:37   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
But mine is an AT where one can trigger the VTeC by just pushing the gas pedal hard.
It's the opposite in this R18A unit. VTEC in the case of the R18A engages not when the gas is hit hard but when low load driving conditions are detected. And the operational range even in this case is between 1k and 3.5k (and not 1.5k to 3k rpm as I wrote earlier -- just checked the article again).

Quote:
In fact from 75kph onwards I can stop it from going into 4rd (and definitely 3rd) by pussyfooting the throttle.
And in this mode, given the AT's gearing, VTEC would engage until you hit around 175 kmph (3.5k rpm in 5th) theoretically (i.e. assuming wind drag etc. doesn't cause the car to think that conditions are high-stress). 75 kmph in 5th would be around 1.5k rpm, where VTEC can engage with very light-footed steady-speed cruising.

Regards,
spadix
Old 12th April 2012, 08:57   #154
Senior - BHPian

A quick reading may confuse you, I excerpt

the new engine achieves particularly high fuel economy, on a par with that of a 1.5-liter engine when VTEC activates the fuel-economy mode.

The Economy mode is the normal cam. The term VTeC is used for both the cam and the electronic controller. One can really hear and feel the kick when VTeC cam comes in. It can come in as low as 1500rpm but one can keep it inactive with a light foot.
Old 12th April 2012, 22:23   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A quick reading may confuse you, I excerpt

the new engine achieves particularly high fuel economy, on a par with that of a 1.5-liter engine when VTEC activates the fuel-economy mode.

The Economy mode is the normal cam. The term VTeC is used for both the cam and the electronic controller. One can really hear and feel the kick when VTeC cam comes in. It can come in as low as 1500rpm but one can keep it inactive with a light foot.
Ah, OK. I was under the impression that VTEC in general referred to "changing of the cam profile" rather than a certain (e.g. "high") cam profile. Different interpretation/semantics, I guess.

Yes, I did remember the article mentioning that the R18A is always in high-output cam mode (therefore able to get it even at 1500 rpm) unless economy mode kicks in, and also yes, one can distinctly make out the high-output cam profile operating. There is a marked difference in the power output. Linear -> jump -> linear with a steeper slope.

Regards,
spadix
Old 13th April 2012, 09:16   #156
Senior - BHPian

You may remember this about the Carb Zen with a twin barrel. There was a lot of talk about old folk (Zen was very popular with them) often drive their Zens so conservatively that the second barrel never kicked in. As a result the butterfly etc. got gummed up and jammed. I having crossed 60 am in that same basket!

Of course this was an old car with no ECU. Just a progressive throttle which kicked in the second barrel above a certain throttle position.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 19:43   #157
Senior - BHPian

Did a day trip to Lucknow and seem to be hit by a double whammy. At the toll the attendant pointed out that my LH rear was flat. Changed the tyre and continued. When checked it in Lucknow there was sidewall damage. So had to change the tyre. Michelin Energy was not available so got a Primacy (damage Rs.6200).

On the way back the windscreen was struck by a very small piece of gravel. Even though it was tiny, it cracked the glass (about 1cm long crack). Now cracks on a Laminated Screen have have a habit of growing. This one seems to have damaged both layers of the glass. Called up Windshield Experts (first time I called them). The chap confirmed that I am in for a Windscreen change. It seems that they are an operation of Indo Asahi Glass. Damages may be another Rs.11,000. So the 200 and odd km trip cost me Rs.80 per km in sundry damages.

Last edited by sgiitk : 5th May 2012 at 19:48.
Old 5th May 2012, 20:42   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did a day trip to Lucknow and seem to be hit by a double whammy.
That's really sad.

I hope you are taking the insurance claim for windshield and you will have to pay standard deduction only as there is no depreciation on glass.

Also take this opportunity to get a windshield that has 70% VLT if it is available.
Old 5th May 2012, 21:05   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
That's really sad.

I hope you are taking the insurance claim for windshield and you will have to pay standard deduction only as there is no depreciation on glass.

Also take this opportunity to get a windshield that has 70% VLT if it is available.
What about the 50% NCB which adds up to well over 15,000, so the 11k for glass doesnot even cover one year's loss. Also, the way the dynamics are the charges are the cash charges,and not the insurance charges. Also, Hondaare very likely to be 50%-100% higher,

When I renew I will add NCB protection for glass (about Rs.500 pa) breakage. I found out about this on the forum very recently. I am sure with the higher speeds on the NH network which is always work in progress, such incidents will become more common. Renewal is due end of May!
Old 6th May 2012, 10:03   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the way back the windscreen was struck by a very small piece of gravel. Even though it was tiny, it cracked the glass (about 1cm long crack). Now cracks on a Laminated Screen have have a habit of growing. This one seems to have damaged both layers of the glass. Called up Windshield Experts (first time I called them). The chap confirmed that I am in for a Windscreen change. It seems that they are an operation of Indo Asahi Glass. Damages may be another Rs.11,000. So the 200 and odd km trip cost me Rs.80 per km in sundry damages.
Really sorry to hear this, Professor.

One diligently pays their taxes, including hefty amounts of road tax on these big cars, and yet has to suffer from damage caused by poor road quality.

Regards,
spadix
Old 6th May 2012, 10:16   #161
BHPian

Quote:
What about the 50% NCB
50% NCB ? how ? i have always been offered only 20% NCB by Royal Sundaram and the Bajaj Allianz for my cars.

Last year, i got a interesting policy done. It was called as 100% insurance by Bajaj Allianz, wherein the insurance company pays for everything and one needs to pay only the excess charges if there is claim. Paid a heavy premium of 25 k last year for my city.

Would 50% NCB here mean that i need to pay only the 12.5 k for the same policy next year ?? would you make me understand this insurance properly please ?

Last edited by nandans2005 : 6th May 2012 at 10:17.
Old 6th May 2012, 11:32   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the way back the windscreen was struck by a very small piece of gravel. Even though it was tiny, it cracked the glass (about 1cm long crack). .
Was the car being driven at high or moderate speeds when this happened ? Was it behind a truck or something which kicked the gravel behind onto the screen ?
Old 6th May 2012, 18:12   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the way back the windscreen was struck by a very small piece of gravel. Even though it was tiny, it cracked the glass (about 1cm long crack).
That's a nasty accident Professor, another case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Were you trailing a truck closely from which the gravel flew up and hit the windshield?
Quote:
It seems that they are an operation of Indo Asahi Glass. Damages may be another Rs.11,000.
Is the price quoted above is what Honda charges for a front windshield replacement? I am surprised if it's the case, as Honda is notorious for its ridiculously expensive after-market parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
50% NCB ? how ?
I think Professor was quoting the cumulative NCB gathered over the years. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 6th May 2012, 19:06   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
I think Professor was quoting the cumulative NCB gathered over the years. Correct me if I am wrong.
Maybe, i dont know.

But somehow it doesnt make sense to me to spend amounts like 10k or 15k when you have an insurance. For eg: i have paid 25 k for renewal. Why should i spend 11k or whatever out of my pocket when i clearly know that the NCB will be only 20%, which would be only 5k in my case. In a situation like this, i stand to lose 6k.

or maybe i havent understood this insurance stuff too well
Old 6th May 2012, 20:42   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005
But somehow it doesnt make sense to me to spend amounts like 10k or 15k when you have an insurance. For eg: i have paid 25 k for renewal. Why should i spend 11k or whatever out of my pocket when i clearly know that the NCB will be only 20%, which would be only 5k in my case. In a situation like this, i stand to lose 6k.
It makes sense in your case since you currently enjoy an NCB of just 20%. Making that claim impacts only 20% of the calculated own damage premium amount on your IDV.

Remember that making a claim wipes out all NCB, so if you are currently enjoying 50%, that's quite a hit esp. on a ~2 year-old car like the Professor has.

Regards,
spadix

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks