Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 22:30   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

But, daily pictures in the newspaper of cars overturning in Hyderabad has put a phobia into me

Bentley on ORR
Indica in Jubilee Hills
Today, a Lancer totalled at Rd.No.1

Whew !
That's exactly what's playing in my mind for the past few days and I've been driving sedately

But the Lancer accident was probably due to the same mysterious divider near Vengal Rao Park that crops up from nowhere suddenly---even MC had a 'touch and go' experience with it last year.
Old 9th September 2010, 00:44   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
That's exactly what's playing in my mind for the past few days and I've been driving sedately

But the Lancer accident was probably due to the same mysterious divider near Vengal Rao Park that crops up from nowhere suddenly---even MC had a 'touch and go' experience with it last year.
Yeah, MC touched it and it went, the storm's chassis i.e.!!

What has had me driving at verrrry low speeds is the water damaged cars that I see. Water is sucked in from the air-intake and whammo - the next thing one is looking at is a humongous bill for engine internals, turbos & intercoolers. Read about water fumigation in Diesel engines for performance boosts to get an idea of what happens.

Cheers & drive safe
Old 9th September 2010, 01:38   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I find that hard to beileve. If thats true, I am going to close them when driving in traffic conditions.
By the way, that was informmaha's second post of the same thing. Any technical problem he/she may be facing?

Quote:
I dont understand when you said Autocar is contradicting itself? Which other source you are referring to other than the one outlined in .PDF file for the side mirror ( Rs.4XXX )
I was speaking about their general tendency. I observed a very long time ago that the same magazine would contradict their own previous review of a particular vehicle in a subsequent round-up.

So I wouldn't be suprised if that PDF shows different data from what the same Autocar may have reported in their August 2010 issue.

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th September 2010, 07:21   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Yeah, MC touched it and it went, the storm's chassis i.e.!!
It was a touch and go only. Could have lived with the repaired chassis just like could have lived with the repaired engine. But wanted new so got them changed.

BTW I have not been driving extra slow or sedately, just maintaining constant speeds over good and bad sections.

Oh the joys of having a Farm Utility Vehicle!

P.S: A few days back I drove the Cruze over some really bad internal roads in Madhapur and nothing scraped the ground. So I don't think GC is an issue. What say Avi?
Old 9th September 2010, 10:15   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
P.S: A few days back I drove the Cruze over some really bad internal roads in Madhapur and nothing scraped the ground. So I don't think GC is an issue. What say Avi?
Fully loaded? And at what speeds?

Bad roads are one thing. Steep 'breakers, dips and inclines are something else.

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th September 2010, 11:05   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post

Regards,
spadix
We were 2 people and it was raining with the road being a mud one with heap of debris creating small hills and valleys. The trick was to chart out a mental path and the tyres on these hills ( traversing between these hills might not be straight path).

And speeds would have been15-20KMPH
Old 9th September 2010, 13:17   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We were 2 people and it was raining with the road being a mud one with heap of debris creating small hills and valleys. The trick was to chart out a mental path and the tyres on these hills ( traversing between these hills might not be straight path).

I guess the question was hinting at something else when he said 'fully loaded'
Old 9th September 2010, 14:08   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Mobike, I had posted this question for you in the other Cruze ownership thread but it seems you missed it. If given an option today and after having owned the Cruze for some time, would you reconsider your decision to buy the vehicle in favour of some other vehicle? Specifically, between the Cruze and the Civic, which would you pick now after owning the Cruze for some time now that you know that the Cruze is not a perfect car and has its share of problems? The answer to this question will help me pacify myself and not make a decision in haste and I will try to tolerate the tantrums of the Chevrolet dealer in my city,
My answer to your question would be a thumping " YES". Reasons according to me :-

1. Civic is already 4+ years old. It will break the heart to see a new one coming up next year.

2. IMHO, Cruze engine in terms of power is miles ahead of a Civic and is creamy and silent too despite being a diesel engine.

3. Cruze twin-cockpit look derived from the Corvette is much more fresh and appealing than the Civic. However, Kudos to Civic for retaining the title of best interiors even after 4 years. Quality of internal material wise, Civic is a bit ahead

4. Cruze is a better handler and has a better suspension which obviously is firm due to the diesel engine. Trust me, it does not have the speed breaker issue that Civic is so notorious for.

5. For almost the same price you will get convenience features which are not available in any car south of BMW/Merc etc.

6. Exterior look,stance and design. No brainers, Cruze is just deadly to look at and will get you more stares

7. Another ice'ing on the cake is you get a much more powerful car at way lesser cost of ownership since Cruze runs on lesser cost fuel.

Only downside : Resale may be an issue but, looking at the way Cruze is selling ( 700+/month), i dont think it will be too much of an issue when you sell this car 4-5 years down the line.

To cut short a long story. I repeat, I will buy a Cruze again and that too only in "Olympic White" color

Quote:
That night, my heart was in my mouth. Road was really bad with mounds of hills, deep potholes and raining heavily with low visibility etc.

You did well by saving my car's underbody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post

Regards,
spadix
It was indeed a really bad patch of road that night.

Btw, only where i see need to be careful with Cruze is when you reverse the car from a steep incline of any store ( for e.g : "Wheels" in Tadbund has a steep incline to get into the wheel alignment zone inside his store) the front may hit the bottom.

Another such area is my office basement parking. I am careful when i go down or climb up these steep embankment/edges
Old 9th September 2010, 14:15   #294
BHPian

Thanks mobike. I think I am now sure of what to get. Going to get a test drive of the Cruze in 30 minutes.

I anyways am planning to keep the Cruze for a longer than expected period of time. So the resale will be o little concern. My only issue was the poor quality of plastics that I have read about. Rest all issues I can live with! Thanks once again. I will now be able to do the test drive with a positive frame of mind.
Old 9th September 2010, 14:53   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mobike. I think I am now sure of what to get. Going to get a test drive of the Cruze in 30 minutes.

I anyways am planning to keep the Cruze for a longer than expected period of time. So the resale will be o little concern. My only issue was the poor quality of plastics that I have read about. Rest all issues I can live with! Thanks once again. I will now be able to do the test drive with a positive frame of mind.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, i had a "fantastic" experience with my dealer ( KUN) in Hyderabad. Experience outlined in this thread somewhere at the back if your interested.

Quality of the plastics i agree isnt great but, come on, it ain't that bad too. I am sure you can live with it.

I would put all my money again on that " Delicious and Mind blowing engine"
Old 9th September 2010, 15:08   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, i had a "fantastic" experience with my dealer ( KUN) in Hyderabad. Experience outlined in this thread somewhere at the back if your interested.

Quality of the plastics i agree isnt great but, come on, it ain't that bad too. I am sure you can live with it.

I would put all my money again on that " Delicious and Mind blowing engine"
Pandey ji, you sure are head deep in love with the Cruze, isn't it ?
I have been silently reading your posts about all your experiences with your new WA and the fun that you are having with it.
This car does have tremendous road presence, after you bought it, I have been watching out for Cruze on the road. I had the opportunity to sit in one during the recent auto show in hyd and I loved it's closed cockpit type interiors and the instrument cluster. Very involving!!
Many congratulations again for the car to you and the family.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 9th September 2010 at 15:10.
Old 9th September 2010, 17:08   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That's pretty good, then! On roads which resemble that description I am at around 8-10 kmph *at the most* with BQ.

Quote:
I guess the question was hinting at something else when he said 'fully loaded'

No, not at all!

Quote:
As someone who test drove the Cruze as well before purchasing the Civic, I will offer my take.

I really liked the Cruze a lot as a package. Yes, the quality of the interiors may not be what you want (rather, expect) from a 13-15 lac car, but the interiors are a lot bolder and aggressive, just like the exterior. I like the Civic's looks (both interior and exterior) more, though, despite their age.

The Cruze is cramped on the inside (especially the rear seat) but the boot space is much higher (usefully, noticeably higher) than in the Civic.

Features-wise, it's leagues ahead of the Civic.

The low-end torque issue wasn't an issue for me because even in those rev ranges, unless you're way way down, the torque is good enough. Besides, that's (almost) the case with the Civic too. I'm also used to my father's Indigo which behaves similarly (sluggish before the turbo kicks in).

I didn't stall the car even once in the TD, and this was supposed to be a big thing on the Cruze. Maybe in stop-start traffic on an incline I may have stalled it a couple of times, I don't know.

While the Civic is really creamy and smooth, I found the Cruze to be the same. Of course Hondas are known to retain that quality for long whereas the Cruze will have to prove itself in this regard. I don't doubt its capabilities though.

In terms of ride comfort and handling I'll give the Cruze a slight edge. It's better behaved on potholes - muted sounds, better insulation for people inside - than the Civic is. Body roll is less too.

I think you'll also experience a better dealership experience with Chevy than with Honda. At least that is the case here.

So why did I choose the Civic? Simple. I was waiting since 2006 to own one, and despite the strengths of the Cruze, I *wanted* the Civic (and I'm happily enjoying every moment of it). And the other major point was that I felt the Civic is much "lighter" to drive, an important consideration for me because my wife will drive the car regularly.

Unless you have some sort of an emotional connect with the Civic, or don't mind the slightly cramped rear interiors of the Cruze, I think the Cruze could (in the long run as well) turn out to be a better buy for your money.

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th September 2010, 17:15   #298
BHPian

spadix your posts are truly unbiased. Have noticed that in your civic ownership thread as well. Kudos to the spirit!
Old 9th September 2010, 17:56   #299
BHPian

Just back from a test drive of the Manual LTZ Cruze in Atlantis Blue colour. It was not a test drive vehicle but belonged to the MD of the dealership!

One word! Impressive! The push button start, even though the button looks bland, is great. I wish GM provided a better looking button for this. There was hardly any audible engine noise inside the cabin and it was very silent.

I drove the vehicle for about 3-5 kilometers in peak traffic. I did not feel any turbo lag. The driving seat was very comfortable. The view from the seat, very commanding and confidence inspiring. The steering was a little small in diameter. I could not judge whether it is good or bad. I was messing up with the horn and was pressing the ICE source change button but I am sure if I get this, I will get used to it. I did feel the clutch throw back and I know it will hurt me in the long run, but since I will get the automatic, this is of no concern.

The automatic climate control does wonders and cooled a hot car in little time.
The co-passenger's seat was also comfortable.

The rear seats were good but the middle of the rear seat will hurt the back of the person who occupies it for a longish period of time. I am 6' tall and I did not have any problems with leg space on the rear seats. Neither did I have any issues with the height of the roof.

The speakers had the necessary thump and sounded really nice. I know the lack of a USB and iPod connectivity slots will be missed but I am sure over a period of time, the aux input will suffice. Also, the 6 cd changer will hopefully take care of the music needs. Anyways, if I get this, I will aim to get the Caska HU in some time. Hopefully, it will allow me to connect an external drive to store all my music!

The sunroof was something I really wanted but was not available on the i20 automatic. The sunroof of the LTZ Automatic will be gladly accepted.

I did not get an opportunity to test the ABS but I am sure it would work well!

The quality of plastics was not bad. Acceptable will be the correct word for it. The glove box looked small. The art-leather or pu seats were quite comfortable.

Now coming to the discounts. The sales manager flatly refused to give any discount. I am quite sure I won't be getting even mats or perfume with this for free!

The expected delivery period will be of 35 days from the date of booking. The colour if purchased will be Diamond White.

Now, based on spadix's post and a few posts related to the ageing Civic, I am in fix. My heart is asking me to just hand over the cheque for the booking amount for the Cruze. My mind is asking me to test drive the Civic before making a decision. The thing going against the civic at this point is the fact that:
a. A new civic is expected sometime by next year.
b. The equipment level that the Cruze offers as compared to the Civic.

About going with what we aspire, spadix, I know what you mean. I went with the Safari due to this very reason. Sometimes, the heart refuses to listen to anything and logic is thrown out of the window.

What I will ultimately do is unknown as of today. Things should be clear in the next couple of days.

Thanks for reading and thank you everyone for the suggestions and advice.
Old 10th September 2010, 13:17   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
spadix your posts are truly unbiased. Have noticed that in your civic ownership thread as well. Kudos to the spirit!
+1. I too noticed that long back and its very rare to find such gem of people who speak in such an unbaised way.

Quote:
Just back from a test drive of the Manual LTZ Cruze in Atlantis Blue colour
Sumit, your review is more or less spot on. However, do take a test drive of Civic too as it will help you take an informed decision. Some points as inputs if you decide to buy a Cruze :-

1. I got a discount of Rs.15000 as corporate discount
2. Mudflaps, Body Cover, Teflon Coating and Mats came free
3. Received a voucher for Teflon coat as part of after sales follow-up not to mention a couple of good chocolate boxes
4. Do keep some budget for tyre change. I recommend CPC2

Any other query, you need to just ask.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks