Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 22:46   #226

Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Around 32k for closed loop system. With a saving of minimum Rs.3 per km the cost can be recovered fast. However for an old car having run more than 1lac kms, may not be worth the while.
What is a closed loop system?
Old 4th June 2012, 11:33   #227
BHPian

Need advise on CNG kits for Opel Corsa 1.4 and 1.6.

Which CNG kit (open/closed) will be best in terms of good performance with zero hassles and if possible do share the cost of the same.
Old 14th June 2012, 17:38   #228
BANNED

My Swift is running CNG since a year now. Usually, I can fill around Rs. 250 worth of gas in the cylinder. Yesterday, I went to the pump in Bhandup. Once I reached the top of the line, I noticed a handwritten paper pasted on the pump - in Marathi it said - "Today we are having Gas Mix". I asked the guy what that meant - he didn't know much but he gave me a half baked explanation - talked to couple of other pumpers there also - and this is the net info I got - 'Occasionally to clean the tanks, the gas company sends gas mixed with some cleanser. When since the mix has different properties than regular cng, the tank can accomodate more.' My car which usually fills up 250Rs of Gas got 325 Rs worth. I asked him what do I get in lieu for the extra money - he said that some cars give a better average, others give a better pickup with a gas mix.

Anyway - anyone else know more about this?
Old 14th June 2012, 21:25   #229
BHPian

@carboy - have never heard anything about this in 4 years of CNG usage !! More or less looks like a useless gimmick or scam by pump operator...
Old 14th June 2012, 22:16   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
My Swift is running CNG since a year now. Usually, I can fill around Rs. 250 worth of gas in the cylinder. Yesterday, I went to the pump in Bhandup. Once I reached the top of the line, I noticed a handwritten paper pasted on the pump - in Marathi it said - "Today we are having Gas Mix". I asked the guy what that meant - he didn't know much but he gave me a half baked explanation - talked to couple of other pumpers there also - and this is the net info I got - 'Occasionally to clean the tanks, the gas company sends gas mixed with some cleanser. When since the mix has different properties than regular cng, the tank can accomodate more.' My car which usually fills up 250Rs of Gas got 325 Rs worth. I asked him what do I get in lieu for the extra money - he said that some cars give a better average, others give a better pickup with a gas mix.

In my last 2 years of experience with cng cars, i can very well say that the pump guy is taking you for a ride.

I will suggest you to stay away from this pump.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 16th June 2012, 19:00   #231
BHPian

Hi

We are planning to get a CNG Kit for our Tata Manza 2010 model. My brother enquired a little bit in Dwarka, Delhi and got a quote of 55K for a Sequential Kit of "Calisto" brand. Is that a fair price? Also, BHPians from Delhi, any specific place you would recommend and things to keep in mind while converting?

Thanks
Familyguy
Old 16th June 2012, 19:33   #232
BANNED

I have been using CNG with my spark for almost 6 months now. However to get best out of CNG, only option is factory fitted CNG kit. They come with R&D and best possbile design amendments rather than just pushing Petrol engine with after market kit. You will be always at mercy of installer and there could be part failures due to changed fuel. (Engine is not designed considering CNG..)

Rear Shocks is also not designed tp take extra load of 70 KG of cylinder in boot.

However barrier for Factory fitted CNG is

Initial investment
Very limited options for Factory fitted CNG cars. In maruti we have Ecco, WagonR,SX4,Estilo. In hundai, it is just santro.

Not sure on other manufactirers CNG models.

I am seriously thinking of clearing my car and going in for factory fitted CNG. Option seems to be only Wagon R. But it comes with Sequential Kit backed by Maruti Service and Heavy R&D. - Total Peace of mind.

Last edited by idea : 16th June 2012 at 19:38.
Old 17th June 2012, 00:27   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyguy View Post
Hi

We are planning to get a CNG Kit for our Tata Manza 2010 model. My brother enquired a little bit in Dwarka, Delhi and got a quote of 55K for a Sequential Kit of "Calisto" brand. Is that a fair price? Also, BHPians from Delhi, any specific place you would recommend and things to keep in mind while converting?

Thanks
Familyguy
Ive never heard of calisto, get in touch with a few more installers, invest some time over the phone and try and get as much information as possible.

On the dealer front I'd recommend Tara Dutt Automobiles I got my Ritz LXi converted from them at about 4.5k km and its at 65k km at the moment the car is a Feb 2010 model. I haven't faced any major issue. Theres a thread for the same as well.
maglev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 17:26   #234
BHPian

Ok guys seeking CNG conversion advice for a friend. He had almost finalised a Dzire LDi for himself (family of 6 with approx 2k km running per month). I have suggested him to look at the Ertiga LXi and get it converted to CNG, given his high monthly running. He is on a strict budget of between 6.5 and 7 lakhs, hence the choices and my suggestion.

Now has anyone here come across a CNG installation in Ertiga? He did try asking the Maruti dealers but they don't have a clue. I have told him to ask around at some of the installers here in Delhi and see if someone has done it. Any help would be appreciated. Another plus for Ertiga apart from the space is that there is no waiting for the LXi model and he needs a car pretty quick. Warranty be damned in case of CNG conversion.
Old 17th June 2012, 19:30   #235
SAS
BHPian

Quote:

That should not be an issue. I too faced something similar once at a Mahim pump and ended up with a similar experience. Just check the average. If you dont get your normal average, then avoid that pump, else continue to fill there. I got the usual average hence I knew that it was genuine and not an issue. The thing is that Mahanagar gas sometimes adds a bit of propane to it, however the methane content still remains approx 95%. Not sure on the exact specs, since I got my normal average, I didn't bother doing more research
Old 17th June 2012, 19:37   #236
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
That should not be an issue. I too faced something similar once at a Mahim pump and ended up with a similar experience. Just check the average. If you dont get your normal average, then avoid that pump, else continue to fill there. I got the usual average hence I knew that it was genuine and not an issue. The thing is that Mahanagar gas sometimes adds a bit of propane to it, however the methane content still remains approx 95%. Not sure on the exact specs, since I got my normal average, I didn't bother doing more research
Any idea why Mahangar Gas does this?
Old 17th June 2012, 19:48   #237
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea why Mahangar Gas does this?
No idea. Let me ask the pump attendant next time, they seem knowledgeable at the Mahim pump.

I didnt bother since I continued getting the same average. In fact I was very happy it happened because the range was >250kms for that particular gas refill. Wish it happened more often
Old 18th June 2012, 10:27   #238
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am thinking of getting my Esteem (2006 model) converted to CNG. Its currently giving 14 to 15 kmpl (mixture of both highway and city). Which kit should I look for? I average around 900 to 1000 kms per month.
Old 19th June 2012, 11:59   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
On the dealer front I'd recommend Tara Dutt Automobiles I got my Ritz LXi converted from them at about 4.5k km and its at 65k km at the moment the car is a Feb 2010 model. I haven't faced any major issue. Theres a thread for the same as well.
Hey Maglev, even mine has done almost 21000+ kms after the conversion. Now I feel that engine has become a little harsh. Have you felt the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Ok guys seeking............r Ertiga apart from the space is that there is no waiting for the LXi model and he needs a car pretty quick. Warranty be damned in case of CNG conversion.
I think the best thing for him to do should be to get himself a Ertiga Ldi, as I have seen the boot space in Ertiga and no way a CNG cylinder can be fitted with all the seats up. The only possibility will be using the vehicle as a five seater which will defeat the original purpose of buying it at the first place. AFAIK the price of Ertiga LDI would be somewhere in reason of 7 lacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Guys, I am thinking of getting my Esteem (2006 model) converted to CNG. Its currently giving 14 to 15 kmpl (mixture of both highway and city). Which kit should I look for? I average around 900 to 1000 kms per month.
The esteem uses 1.3l G series engine, any simple venturi kit will serve the purpose nicely. Do also get spacer in rear suspension to take care of soft rear suspension with added weight of cylinder.
Old 19th June 2012, 12:14   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
I think the best thing for him to do should be to get himself a Ertiga Ldi, as I have seen the boot space in Ertiga and no way a CNG cylinder can be fitted with all the seats up. The only possibility will be using the vehicle as a five seater which will defeat the original purpose of buying it at the first place. AFAIK the price of Ertiga LDI would be somewhere in reason of 7 lacs.
Nah the Ertiga LDi comes to over 8 lakhs on road here in Delhi. I agree with you about the space with all three rows up so it surely would be difficult to fit in a CNG cylinder there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks