Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 23:06   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Got my 2009 Fiat Linea 1.4 Cng'd a few days back, the installer was a friend of my friend's dad so the service and the rc endorsement were assured to me and infact am loving the almost free running that the car is having now.

1. The kit - The car is fitted with a sequential kit, M Sequent - 1 year warranty and the process took 2 days to be completed, wont be comfortable quoting the cost here but i got it done from New Line motors, paschim vihar.
There is 14 KG cylinder in the boot and the install was done nicely, no issues on that front.

2. Performance - Yes there is a difference, without ac the performance loss is almost negligible but with ac there is a lag in the 2nd gear, after 3rd it is good to go and is touching 120 easily on cng.

3. Average - As of now the car is delivering me a brilliant 19-20 km per kg in city with acc set at 23-24 which turns out to be a per km running of 1.8-1.9, one third of 6-6.5/km it used to cost, i can drive as i want, keep the ac running and it doesnt hurt at all. Infact the car on cng is running much smoother than petrol.

4. Cng-petrol switching - I have been told to drive the first 2 kms and last 2 kms of the day on petrol to keep the engine in good shape. After that the car starts on petrol and switches to cng automatically after 30-40 seconds with a beep. The shift to petrol or cng is seamless and jerk free, you cant feel it.

Issue
I dont know if the tuning is not proper or am doing something wrong but today i started the car after a gap of 24 hours, it started on petrol, was warming up and within 10 seconds switched to cng and shut off, i tried again and the same thing happened.

Gave the crank third time felt the engine vibrate which gave me a scare , then put it on petrol mode, started normally, after 2 kms switched to cng and it was fine. Did my usual job, came back and then set it on auto mode, car started on petrol, shifted to cng without hiccups normally.

Isnt a sequential kit supposed to start on petrol (even if its cold start), wait a while and then switch to cng automatically, why should i be manually intervening like my installer is telling me to do every morning? I know driving 3-4 kms on petrol daily is good but still please clear my doubts.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 3rd May 2012 at 23:09.
Old 16th May 2012, 09:43   #212
BHPian

I have an SX4 ZXi, Dec 2010, 26K kms. Want to convert to CNG.
Should I go for aftermarket fitment or from Sai Service from where the car was purchased. Seems there are 2 kits in market costing 30K and 50K. But if I fit these I lose my extended warranty upto 80K kms. Sai Service has quoted 50K, don't know which type it is. They said they will take care of warranty, but not sure if they really can do that as extended warranty is from Maruti.
Please give your valuable suggestions on this.
Old 16th May 2012, 14:01   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
I have an SX4 ZXi, Dec 2010, 26K kms. Want to convert to CNG.
Should I go for aftermarket fitment or from Sai Service from where the car was purchased. Seems there are 2 kits in market costing 30K and 50K. But if I fit these I lose my extended warranty upto 80K kms. Sai Service has quoted 50K, don't know which type it is. They said they will take care of warranty, but not sure if they really can do that as extended warranty is from Maruti.
Please give your valuable suggestions on this.
IMO the INR50K one is the sequential one & you should go for it.
The other one (open loop one) can be attended by any mechanic (gives you sort of freedom of repairs & from dependence on few experts), but it is old tech & sequential one has lot benefits over the open/ closed loop ones (please refer discussions in older posts in this thread).
Old 19th May 2012, 12:28   #214
BHPian

Requesting Advice on CNG Conversion - Swift

Hello All,
I own a Swift Lxi 2011 Model, done 7000 kms, 1 year old,
Pertaining to rising fuel costs i have decided to go for CNG kit conversion
My average monthly running is around 800-1000 Kms
My car gives me a mileage of 16-18 kmpl on Petrol (with AC), hence monthly expenses come to around 5K
Now assuming a CNG kit will return a mileage of 20 km/kg (with AC) i expect my fuel prices to drop by atleast 40%
Hence considering a saving of 2K per month the cost of equipment must be covered in 2 yrs (If it is a sequential kit) else in a year (if it is a conventional kit)
Now i was looking at the Lovato India site
CNG gas kit....Lovato gas kit India....Divine Auto Gas Systems....

Can you please advise whether sequential Kit is really worth the extra 20K and also how much damage will it cause to my car because even though they say there is no harm to engine, we have seen otherwise

Also i am from Pune so can someone guide me where i can get the CNG kit fitted

Thanks in advance
Old 26th May 2012, 13:44   #215
BHPian

Re: Requesting Advice on CNG Conversion - Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
Hello All,
I own a Swift Lxi 2011 Model, done 7000 kms, 1 year old,
Pertaining to rising fuel costs i have decided to go for CNG kit conversion
My average monthly running is around 800-1000 Kms
My car gives me a mileage of 16-18 kmpl on Petrol (with AC), hence monthly expenses come to around 5K
Now assuming a CNG kit will return a mileage of 20 km/kg (with AC) i expect my fuel prices to drop by atleast 40%
Hence considering a saving of 2K per month the cost of equipment must be covered in 2 yrs (If it is a sequential kit) else in a year (if it is a conventional kit)
Now i was looking at the Lovato India site
CNG gas kit....Lovato gas kit India....Divine Auto Gas Systems....

Can you please advise whether sequential Kit is really worth the extra 20K and also how much damage will it cause to my car because even though they say there is no harm to engine, we have seen otherwise

Also i am from Pune so can someone guide me where i can get the CNG kit fitted

Thanks in advance
I have converted my Swift Vxi into CNG and the car is doing really well. You can read the details about the conversion earlier in this post. I have installed Lovato Kit.

The Closed loop kit is fine for Swift there is no requirement of sequential as it cost around 20k more. My car has done around 4k kms post conversion and its doing well. It is giving a mileage around 22km/kg. Nice Savings
Old 28th May 2012, 14:56   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
IMO the INR50K one is the sequential one & you should go for it.
The other one (open loop one) can be attended by any mechanic (gives you sort of freedom of repairs & from dependence on few experts), but it is old tech & sequential one has lot benefits over the open/ closed loop ones (please refer discussions in older posts in this thread).
Thank for the advice. I inquired with some more people:
1) Raju Auto Gas, Vile Parle. He quoted 40K for closed loop and 65K for sequential. He says he is using all parts from Lovato only. I asked him about Lambda and he did not specifically say if it was Lovato. But he told me to come to the workshop and see the kit.
2) Next I checked up Eco Gas, Ghatkopar, who are official Lovato distributors it seems. He quoted 32K and 55K. But he said Lambda would be Chinese.

Which seems more reliable?
Old 28th May 2012, 15:08   #217
Team-BHP Support

You may also want to learn from a fellow bhpians experience in Mumbai

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...?highlight=CNG
Old 28th May 2012, 16:04   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
You may also want to learn from a fellow bhpians experience in Mumbai

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...?highlight=CNG
Checked this out, very interesting. Had also seen AGP's post in this thread and hence am more careful.

But what is your advice, where I should get it done?
Old 28th May 2012, 16:14   #219
Team-BHP Support

Sorry, have not had experience with CNG so will not be able to offer advice on this.
Old 28th May 2012, 17:04   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Thank for the advice. I inquired with some more people:
1) Raju Auto Gas, Vile Parle. He quoted 40K for closed loop and 65K for sequential. He says he is using all parts from Lovato only. I asked him about Lambda and he did not specifically say if it was Lovato. But he told me to come to the workshop and see the kit.
2) Next I checked up Eco Gas, Ghatkopar, who are official Lovato distributors it seems. He quoted 32K and 55K. But he said Lambda would be Chinese.

Which seems more reliable?
Not sure, which one (CNG fitter is good as I am from Delhi/NCR), the former is quoting much higher as compared to the companies (factory fitted) even.

But, Lovato is the best kit you can get for your money. Moreover, try one nearer you house as you may need to get the CNG settings checked & rectified at times.
Old 29th May 2012, 18:00   #221

Long time reader, very rare poster. Needs advice on CNG / LPG kits.

My alto LX 2006 model has done close to 107000 kms, with the rising fuel price i am thinking of getting either an LPG or CNG kits fitted in my car. I am not sure if the engine would be able to run with the conversion.
Old 29th May 2012, 18:03   #222
Team-BHP Support

Even if you convert, I am not sure whether you have about 40k kms of engine life left to break even and recover the expense on the conversion.
Old 29th May 2012, 18:36   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Even if you convert, I am not sure whether you have about 40k kms of engine life left to break even and recover the expense on the conversion.
Why 40K kms for recovering the costs? I thought cost could be recovered in 10-15K kms?
Old 29th May 2012, 20:29   #224
Team-BHP Support

How much does the conversion cost ?
Old 29th May 2012, 22:05   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy
How much does the conversion cost ?
Around 32k for closed loop system. With a saving of minimum Rs.3 per km the cost can be recovered fast. However for an old car having run more than 1lac kms, may not be worth the while.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks