Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2012, 16:26   #331
BHPian

Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
A faulty ignition coil, or high tension cables in the car could lead to a poorer spark. Spark plug gaps also need to be adjusted. If ECOFUEL doesn't seem to sort your issue out, I would recommend a visit to my installer at Bandra. I am also dropping in there at 5ish today to submit some documents.
Ok, so this afternoon, due to the restlessness caused by this issue, i went to my office parking with a friend, cranked the engine on and switched it on to cng. the car started, but was making a weird noise with inconsistent exhaust note. My friend tinkered around with the tuning a bit, since he owns an alto with cng and does the tuning himself. The car didnt stall but the sweet sound of the engine was missing. It made a strange "whooossh"inng sound which we wer enot able to locate.

After about 10 mins of trying to find the source, we got fed up and were about to shut the hood, when i noticed a loose pipe. On further inspection, we found that there were 3 loose exhaust pipes - 1 big and 2 small. i fitted them in place, (to the engine) and the exhaust note got back to normal.

The car functions properly as of now. My question is do i fasten theses pipes to the output using the plastic cables? Is this normal? Will it harm the car in any way incase this thing happens again? My friend says, they might have come off due to the vibrations.

Didnt click pictures as it was quite dark in the basement parking.
Ameya_G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 16:38   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurja View Post
Hi, I want to put sequential CNG kit in Punto 1.4 Petrol. Please suggest any authorized kit and good installer around Noida and East Delhi. Thanks in advance.
I cant tell you the exact name and address, there is an installer in Kalyan puri with a good reputation. My brother had installed Lovato kit in his santro which is running good. I have heard that he has installed cng in BMWs also. You can inquire about him.
Old 2nd November 2012, 19:08   #333
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 6th November 2012 at 13:11.
forester is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd November 2012, 21:08   #334
BANNED

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep11787 View Post
Why don't you raise the idle RPM. Any decent roadside shop can do it. They just have to rotate a screw to adjust rpm.
I had some vibration issues with my esteem, idle rpm was around 700-800. Raised it to 900-1000 and car runs way better now. Less vibrations and better pickup from standstill. Although fuel consumption increases a bit. Give it a try !
My car is just back from 80K service and timing belt change. Will try your suggestion if the problem still persists. Seems like a good idea, if nothing else works.

I got cng endorsed on the RC. ( I had bought this car from my friend, he hadn't got it done).
On the RC they have written "Lovato", whereas my kit is Tomasetto. Any problems due to this? OR Any insurance related problem can I run into?

Last edited by GTO : 24th January 2013 at 13:43. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 20th November 2012, 22:39   #335
yuv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemyOHC View Post
Thanks Pranav for your valuable inputs but i still need help in choosing the best cng kit for my old ohc I have spoken to Lovato dealership in Pune. They are quoting around 60k for a sequential type but are guaranteeing performance at par with petrol. Please advice!
Open loop is best for OHC, cost approx 30-32k. I'm getting 20kms FE per kg in my OHC, city driving. Absolutely no drop in pick up or power. The quality of kit and the installer matters the most. PM me for further details. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
I got cng endorsed on the RC. ( I had bought this car from my friend, he hadn't got it done).
On the RC they have written "Lovato", whereas my kit is Tomasetto. Any problems due to this? OR Any insurance related problem can I run into?
Yes & No. If all goes well, no one will ever check upto that level but god forbid in case of a mishap then every small detail comes out and may be used against you. Best is to get any errors or typo corrected asap. I'm assuming you paid an agent for getting the endorsement done, then why not demand a clean job? Cheers.

Last edited by yuv : 20th November 2012 at 22:55.
Old 1st January 2013, 19:30   #336

I have been driving Versa EECCO Feb 2012 model since Sept 2012. I am very happy with the fuel efficiency of the car with CNG fitment. What I have been noticing recently is the car starts giving hick-ups when driven above 90kmph as sometimes on the slopes of Mumbai-Pune Expressway the car intantly touches 100kmph. Avg. speed preferred is always 70-80kmph on the e-highway.
Is this a serious problem? help as this is a tourist car and passengers feel slightly uncomfortable to this.
Old 1st January 2013, 21:49   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuv View Post
Yes & No. If all goes well, no one will ever check upto that level but god forbid in case of a mishap then every small detail comes out and may be used against you. Best is to get any errors or typo corrected asap. I'm assuming you paid an agent for getting the endorsement done, then why not demand a clean job? Cheers.
Exactly Right !
Remember a golden rule when you are claiming something from an insurance company - be it Car, house, life or anything else - the company will inspect at every nook and corner of the claim to look for something which you have not disclosed, something which is not as per written on paper - they will deny you the claim. Sort out the mismatch at the earliest !
Old 19th January 2013, 02:16   #338
yuv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuturaj View Post
I have been driving Versa EECCO Feb 2012 model since Sept 2012. I am very happy with the fuel efficiency of the car with CNG fitment. What I have been noticing recently is the car starts giving hick-ups when driven above 90kmph as sometimes on the slopes of Mumbai-Pune Expressway the car intantly touches 100kmph. Avg. speed preferred is always 70-80kmph on the e-highway.
Is this a serious problem? help as this is a tourist car and passengers feel slightly uncomfortable to this.
Assuming the car is still under warranty, why break your head. Just send it to service center and let them sort it out. Its most likely a dirty air filter and/or tune up issue.
Old 19th January 2013, 20:00   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuv View Post
Assuming the car is still under warranty, why break your head. Just send it to service center and let them sort it out. Its most likely a dirty air filter and/or tune up issue.
Thank you...

I guess it is a tune up issue. The sad part is Maruti people bear no responsibility towards CNG fitments done by others where I have lost the warranty as well. Therefore, the people who have done the fitment have done some alterations in the wiring or maybe Map Sensor. It is difficult to understand how to solve this issue. Also Maruti Service Centers do not work on Local CNG fitments. Please suggest me a CNG tuner so that I can solve the problem. Thanks again.
Old 22nd January 2013, 15:13   #340
BHPian

Hi All;

I have got chevy spark with non sequential CNG Italian kit installed. This was working pretty fine and suddenly from last 2 months it has started behaving abnormally.

1) At the time of starting and idling it rattles like anything. Whole body of my car shakes like there is an earthqauake
2) I need to try atleast thrice before engine gets fired.
3) At red light when car is idling there is lot of rattle
4) If car is going on speed and I suddenly slow it down engine gets stopped

I showed it to a local guy and he said something like 'misfire' and charged 400 bucks to change the wiring.
I went on for three days and then reverted to same.
I don't want to approach same guy again so help is solicited from all experts here to solve this nightmare.

Thanks again
Old 22nd January 2013, 16:32   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Hi All;

I have got chevy spark with non sequential CNG Italian kit installed. This was working pretty fine and suddenly from last 2 months it has started behaving abnormally.

1) At the time of starting and idling it rattles like anything. Whole body of my car shakes like there is an earthqauake
2) I need to try atleast thrice before engine gets fired.
3) At red light when car is idling there is lot of rattle
4) If car is going on speed and I suddenly slow it down engine gets stopped

I showed it to a local guy and he said something like 'misfire' and charged 400 bucks to change the wiring.
I went on for three days and then reverted to same.
I don't want to approach same guy again so help is solicited from all experts here to solve this nightmare.

Thanks again
Hi,

Do the standard stuff - but from an authorized and reputed guy as per your location. For starter, just get the RPM fixed - ideally you'll have to get in increased to 800 to 1000rpm. If this still doesnt fix, then throttle body cleanup, air filter replacement, tapet adjustment should be tried in sequence.
Old 22nd January 2013, 16:40   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Hi,

Do the standard stuff - but from an authorized and reputed guy as per your location. For starter, just get the RPM fixed - ideally you'll have to get in increased to 800 to 1000rpm. If this still doesnt fix, then throttle body cleanup, air filter replacement, tapet adjustment should be tried in sequence.
Thanks ptaneja;
It means there was no wiring issue and as suspected that guy took me for a ride?

FYI I have already got the airfilter changed with no improvement

If you or somebody else can advice any good workshop in and around noida

Thanks again
Old 22nd January 2013, 20:00   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Thanks ptaneja;
It means there was no wiring issue and as suspected that guy took me for a ride?

FYI I have already got the airfilter changed with no improvement

If you or somebody else can advice any good workshop in and around noida

Thanks again
The easy way to find out if the engine is misfiring is from the exhaust pipe output - you'll notice phut-phut-phut kind of exhaust rather than a continues flow of gas.
And I have never heard of any "wiring" which fixes misfiring issue. I dont know what exactly he has changed..
Please get the following done - tapet adjustment. This will be done by opening the cylinder block, get this done from Authorized Center or reputed dealer(30mins work max). Misfiring or issue with cold engine start can be easily fixed with the above adjustment.
I am based out of Gurgaon - unfortunately don;t have a contact near Noida - but this particular adjustment can be done by a normal servicing station and is not related to CNG fitment - so you can have this done from normal servicing station you are accustomed to.
Old 29th January 2013, 19:28   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
The easy way to find out if the engine is misfiring is from the exhaust pipe output - you'll notice phut-phut-phut kind of exhaust rather than a continues flow of gas.
And I have never heard of any "wiring" which fixes misfiring issue. I dont know what exactly he has changed..
Please get the following done - tapet adjustment. This will be done by opening the cylinder block, get this done from Authorized Center or reputed dealer(30mins work max). Misfiring or issue with cold engine start can be easily fixed with the above adjustment.
I am based out of Gurgaon - unfortunately don;t have a contact near Noida - but this particular adjustment can be done by a normal servicing station and is not related to CNG fitment - so you can have this done from normal servicing station you are accustomed to.
Thanks ptaneja;

I went to *** today and I discovered that missing (jerking) is only while running on CNG and NOT on petrol. Engine runs smoothly on petrol but when switched to CNG at idling RPM drops and engine shakes vigorously and stops sometimes. Secondly mileage on CNG has dropped by almost 40%

Service adviser advised to get the fuel pump changed which I declined since there was no issue in petrol.
Hope I have done right thing.

Regarding tappet adjustment he said that this is possible only in cold engine and would do tomorrow.

I am going again tomorrow and hope to come out with some solution. In meanwhile if you are seniors can point to something I would be more than thankful.
Old 14th February 2013, 20:41   #345
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameya_G View Post
I think me and pranav4x4 are facing the same issue. All the ecofuel guys do is turn the idling knob and the get the car up and running.
@Ameya, have ecofuel guys solved you problem and will you recommend them?

@FrankMehta, I live in thane and can not visit bandra for maintenance, will you still recommend I go through your installer Suraj Auto LPG in Bandra?

Today I went to ecofuel for quote for my Honda City I-DSI GXI and the owner told me go for open loop kit as close loop kit will not work with my engine, is that true?

He quoted 31k for original Lovato open loop kit with Indian 14kg Cylinder with 2 years warranty and 1 year service warranty. 12.5% additional tax for invoice.

I also talked to one more installer in the same area and he quoted similar price for open loop OMVL kit (made in Italy) and recommend not to go for close loop kit. He claimed LAMBA Sensor will go bad after 6 months then kit will again become open loop until you replace it. To be honest, I felt this second guy was taking me for the ride and eco fuel guy felt very promising and sound professional.

Most Viewed