Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2018, 16:00   #646
BHPian

Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinger View Post
I am considering the purchase of a Verna automatic, which I am getting for a good price. The only hitch is, the owner has converted the car to CNG (he says 8 months ago), and I would much rather have the boot space since my running does not justify CNG.

How feasible is it to convert the car back to pure petrol, does this conversion and reconversion affect the engine, and also how costly would this be?

Will the engine (it is a 2015 model with 28k on the odo) be back to its original condition or will it always carry the effects of these modifications?
I'm sorry that I'm not answering your question but rather putting forward a question for you. Have you driven the car? How does driving a CNG fitted Verna AT feel? I own a Verna AT myself and since my daily running has increased substantially, I am contemplating going the CNG route, but I'm worried about performance.
Old 16th August 2018, 17:02   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
How does driving a CNG fitted Verna AT feel? I own a Verna AT myself and since my daily running has increased substantially, I am contemplating going the CNG route, but I'm worried about performance.
I did drive it, and did not feel there was much of a difference between this one and the other automatic (non-cng) Vernas that I test drove. The acceleration, power delivery and ride seemed equally smooth. I must admit however that I did not test drive extensively, and my automotive expertise is very limited.

On another note, which colour is your Verna? I need to know the paint colour code of the passion red Verna 4S.
Xinger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 09:44   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinger View Post

On another note, which colour is your Verna? I need to know the paint colour code of the passion red Verna 4S.
Mine is White. I think you may be able to find the colour code at any dealer near you.
meetgds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 19:23   #649
BHPian

Hi,

I have an I10 2013 Model. Planning to get LPG kit installed. I am preferring Lovato sequential Kit. Can anyone let me know good conversion center in Chennai.

Regards
Old 15th October 2018, 00:33   #650
BHPian

So I would like to add my experience of installation of CNG kit Lovato in my 2011 Swift K-series in the month of June 2013. I have been a happy customer and so far there are no major issues with CNG’ed daily workhorse. The installation of CNG in my car was done post discussion with Mr. Arun Jain who I have never met but had to speak to him. He comes across as a suave businessman who firmly believes in sweettalking his way into the customers hearts.

I did feel that the 50,000 odd rupees which I spent on the installation were justified I. My saving YoY on petrol. Although in between I did deliberate about removing the CNG kit for want of more boot space( as practically the boot space is a NIL in my swift).

During the course of my journey my CNG cylinder was also due for a hydro test and re-certification and the same was carried out through their workshop in the year 2016. I got the plate installed at the Wadala RTO and they co-ordinated for the fresh plate for a fee which by no means was petty(I can’t remember the exact amount which I paid for the said process).

My last vist to SAG was on 13th October 2018, to reconnect the tube which was disconnected from CNG and the coolant due to a coolant leakage issue. I was therefore running the car on petrol for a period of close to 3.5 months. I have also read many horror stories on this forum about SAG being too expensive and which of course kept me away from them since I firmly believe in haggling as a nuisance and SAG guys have all the free time in the world to keep on arguing by unfortunately I don’t.

My encounter with one person with Mr. Mahendra was far from sweet and he was adamant that they will charge Rs.800 just to connect the tube back to the coolant and put it on CNG. He said that 800 will cover only the joining of the tube and will not include tuning of the car. They are therefore very expensive and rude in their behavior.

Go to this guy at your own risk. They believe ripping a customer is fine.
Old 16th November 2018, 21:37   #651
BHPian

with most of the factory fitted CNG maruti cars, we see CNG plate fitted on outside car body above fuel lid. Very ugly!!

But with few latest maruti cars, i did not see such plate CNG fitted on outer body. Have they stopped this now, is the plate fitted somewhere inside of the car?
Old 25th December 2018, 21:43   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
with most of the factory fitted CNG maruti cars, we see CNG plate fitted on outside car body above fuel lid. Very ugly!!

But with few latest maruti cars, i did not see such plate CNG fitted on outer body. Have they stopped this now, is the plate fitted somewhere inside of the car?
The plate is now fitted on the inner side of fuel lid.
Old 3rd April 2019, 13:31   #653
BHPian

I have 2009 Grande Punto(1.4P). Planning to install CNG sequential kit. However there is no approved kit for Punto in Delhi. Without approved kit RTO won't update RC. Anyone aware of approved CNG kit for Punto in delhi?
Old 3rd April 2019, 15:01   #654
BHPian

Sell it or keep it
Get a factory fitted CNG wagon r or santro
Old 5th April 2019, 15:56   #655
BHPian

Hi All,

I have an Honda City Gxi [type 3] which had been converted on CNG and I would have roughly drove around 70k kms on CNG. Total running is 1,25,000 KMS as of today. I had a whizzing sound coming from the engine and it was squared down on the timing chain. I got the entire set replace and the sound disappeared. However, from a couple of days the car looses power on CNG (also on petrol but less renounced) espl with the AC on. Also the rpm keeps fluctuating (from 350 to 1500 rpm and keeps dancing in that range. On the verge of stalling when compressor kicks in demanding power) I showed it to a couple of good mechanic and they had pointed on coils problem, sensor problem and all.

However, I got all of those checked from a trusted mechanic and he said that the valves would have burnt out and hence the loss of power and unstable RPM.

My question:
Can valves be the issue for the symptoms the car is throwing?
Can the timing chain be the issue?

any other suggestions welcomed.
Appreciate all the help.

Rgds,
J
Old 5th April 2019, 16:54   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorajay View Post
My question:
Can valves be the issue for the symptoms the car is throwing?
I am driving a Swift dzire petrol converted to CNG for 2 years and my father has been driving a CNG converted car since early 2000s, so I have a little knowledge and experience in CNG converted cars.

Regarding your case, yes the valves can play a major role in power output of the case, especially in CNG cars.

A while ago a had a similar problem of low power and pick up with unstable rpm and my mechanic suggested the same thing. He not only changed the OEM valves but switched to higher output ones which a preferred for a CNG converted car.

So, I would say go for it.

If you still have any CNG related issue, PM me and I will give the contact of my mechanic

Cheers!
DPetrolHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 17:47   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I have an Honda City Gxi [type 3] which had been converted on CNG and I would have
any other suggestions welcomed.
Appreciate all the help.

Rgds,
J
Update : The valves are checked and there is no sign of leak. The engine is assembled back again and the vibration when AC is switched on is now very evident in Petrol mode as well. I am unsure what would be causing the RPM to dip and cause agressive vibration when at idle. The car still seems a bit underpowered to me personally.

Any advise from all you experts appreciated.
Old 21st April 2019, 16:59   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Update : The valves are checked and there is no sign of leak. The engine is assembled back again and the vibration when AC is switched on is now very evident in Petrol mode as well. I am unsure what would be causing the RPM to dip and cause agressive vibration when at idle. The car still seems a bit underpowered to me personally.

Any advise from all you experts appreciated.
As your car has done almost 1.25 lacs Kms, I feel ignition coils are at the end of their life.

From the model name, I guess yours is 1.5 IDSI engine which has 8 ignition coils so even 1-2 weak ignition coils might be creating this issue. It's hard to detect a faulty ignition coil as they generally go weak and takes time to die completely so it's better to replace all of them at once for complete peace of mind.

Other than Ignition coils also check Idle Control Valve.

Hope it helps.
Old 30th April 2019, 08:28   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I will get the coils checked from a good garage before making a decision before replacement. HASS had already checked them in Mar when i had given car for service and it was okay ed by them. My CNG guy keeps telling its coils and even last time he said same. Do you know of a good CNG garage (Lovato related) who can tune the kit. I am with Suraj Gas.
Hi Sumeet, What did you finally end up doing to fix the issue? I am facing similar issue my my honda jazz.
Old 30th April 2019, 10:09   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishk View Post
Hi Sumeet, What did you finally end up doing to fix the issue? I am facing similar issue my my honda jazz.
I replaced the coils later due to which the jerks vanished but the car kept stalling in heavy traffic. I got it retuned from Lovato Ghatkopar but they made it worse. I later on sold the car. I would suggest getting it checked from a good CNG garage before going for coil change etc. I really can’t help you with any good suggestions for CNG garages because I ended with crappy ones. I would not go to Suraj/ Lovato Ghatkopar for tuning.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks