Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2016, 09:28   #256
BHPian

Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Yes.
Apart from a pointless beam, the regular reflectors arent really built to handle HID heat. My fiesta's High and low beam reflector surfaces both chipped in about a week when I tried HID in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am foxed by this. We replace a 55/60W bulb by a 35W bulb then the total ( mostly heat) load is reduced to about 60%. How does it lead to chipping damage? Higher light intensity should not matter. Physics seems to be failing me. Can someone give the reason.
HID bulbs run much cooler than halogens. Most of the energy is converted to heat and light is actually a byproduct in case of halogen bulbs. There is intense heat in HID bulbs at the core on startup to vaporize the salts. Post that the HID settles down to a low temperature operation.

I am running Morimoto mini H1 projectors with 35W ballasts in my T-Jet. The headlight surface is definitely cooler than what it used to be with halogen.
The HID does not produce enough heat to melt fog/dew settled on the headlight clear lens. This is the reason why high end cars with OE HID projectors have a headlight washer.
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 10:07   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
HID bulbs run much cooler than halogens. Most of the energy is converted to heat and light is actually a byproduct in case of halogen bulbs. There is intense heat in HID bulbs at the core on startup to vaporize the salts. Post that the HID settles down to a low temperature operation.

I am running Morimoto mini H1 projectors with 35W ballasts in my T-Jet. The headlight surface is definitely cooler than what it used to be with halogen.
The HID does not produce enough heat to melt fog/dew settled on the headlight clear lens. This is the reason why high end cars with OE HID projectors have a headlight washer.
Well, this is indeed new for me. I never bothered to find out if they do produce more or less heat. I read up on other cases of where HIDs have caused reflectors to go bad, and apparently cheap chinese HIDs could be responsible, due to lack of some shielding(?).
Thats what I had. No issues with them in the projectors, though, with me.

So humbly withdraw previous blanket postulation.
Old 13th January 2016, 12:15   #258
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Are you referring to Hyluxtek here?

I can't find a reference for Hyaluxtek or Hyalutek anywhere on the internet other than TBHP and some other forums where you've mentioned this.
Just to illustrate http://www.ebay.com/sch/new-value/m....1&_ipg=&_from=
referred to by Sid lists them as Hylux!! So yes, various names are floating around. the chao i bought by HIDs (Joyce Will) told me they were Hilux. Part of the confusion arises from the fact that they are OE to many firms (incl some European) so their own name does not necessarily appear on the unit.
Old 13th January 2016, 15:34   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just to illustrate http://www.ebay.com/sch/new-value/m....1&_ipg=&_from=
referred to by Sid lists them as Hylux!! So yes, various names are floating around. the chao i bought by HIDs (Joyce Will) told me they were Hilux. Part of the confusion arises from the fact that they are OE to many firms (incl some European) so their own name does not necessarily appear on the unit.
That seems to be right. I am attaching a picture of one of the ballasts though it isn't very clear as it is attached to my bike so it may be a bit difficult to read the text on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Xenon HID conversion kit-1452679447516.jpg  

Old 14th January 2016, 16:47   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Hi, the P8 costed about 8.5k 2 years back. Not sure of the price now. My Laura and the Brio are both on the 55w P8 kits. The kit on the Laura has been on since March 2014 with no issues. On brio since July 2013 with zero issues. I have been extremely happy with P8. Yet to try osram so can't comment.

Hope this helps.

Rohan

P.S. The city kit was also put around the same time as brio. No issues there as well.
Was the fitment done in Noida? If yes, can you share the details?
Old 14th January 2016, 16:52   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
Was the fitment done in Noida? If yes, can you share the details?

Purchase and fitment was done by Joy Auto in Khan market. I don't trust the shops in Noida one bit.

Rohan
Old 14th January 2016, 17:00   #262
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to know if 5000K HIDs in low beams will be legal . I was speaking to Vinod from Lumen Systems , he was suggesting 5000 K in my projectors instead of 4300 K .
Old 14th January 2016, 17:11   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Just wanted to know if 5000K HIDs in low beams will be legal . I was speaking to Vinod from Lumen Systems , he was suggesting 5000 K in my projectors instead of 4300 K .
It is not a question of legality. 4300K will give you yellow light, closest to daylight. 5000K will give you white light, which may not be suitable for rainy conditions.
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 17:18   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is not a question of legality. 4300K will give you yellow light, closest to daylight. 5000K will give you white light, which may not be suitable for rainy conditions.
Okay thanks . I do not want to end up blinding oncoming traffic with white light . Lumen Systems who are experts in this field suggest upgrading halogen bulbs instead of using 4300K HIDs .

Any pointers here ?
Old 14th January 2016, 22:36   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Okay thanks . I do not want to end up blinding oncoming traffic with white light . Lumen Systems who are experts in this field suggest upgrading halogen bulbs instead of using 4300K HIDs .

Any pointers here ?
One does not blind oncoming traffic with the colour of the light. One does that with improper focus. Properly focused white light does not blind oncoming traffic. It blinds you by refecting back in rainy, foggy and poor visibility conditions. They perform great when the weather is clear. With proper focus projectors look like this

Best Xenon HID conversion kit-img_20140622_194642.jpg

Note the cutoff line on the trees/shrubs. It is lower than the ORVM level of a car ahead.

There are Halogen projectors and there are HID projectors. Sadly, they are not interchangeable. If you already have projectors, please stick to the bulbs that the projectors are meant for. If you do not have projectors, please stick with halogens. HIDs on regular reflectors are a really bad idea. Read more here.

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 14th January 2016 at 22:38.
Old 15th January 2016, 15:51   #266
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2012 model Figo with stock headlights. I plan to do a lot more traveling this year and hence looking to upgrade the Figo headlights. From what I have read, changing the bulbs will give some but not any significant improvement.

I am considering going in for HIDs for the Figo. I searched this thread looking for anyone who might have done a Figo HID upgrade recently but found none. Lots of VW Polo upgrades though. Wonder why ... ???

I am seeking recommendations for the Figo (old gen) HID upgrade. What should I go for? Would be very grateful for specific details of items & kits (since I am not that savvy about these things!) And also any recommended installers in Bangalore. Ideally, I am looking for function & performance at a budget as I plan to keep the car for another 2-3 years max.

My thanks in advance,
musa
Old 15th January 2016, 16:38   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa View Post
Hello Everyone,

My thanks in advance,
musa
I would recommend getting external auxiliary lamps. Old Figo's reflector area and design isn't efficient and upto the mark, so even a simple HID upgrade won't give expected output (lots of glare and improper focussing of light, scattered light). Other option is to retrofit projectors. But spending 20-25k on a fixed modification will not be wise if you plan to sell the car in next couple of years. So Aux lamps are the cheapest, fool proof way of achieving better light on the road.

Ps. If you are concerned about intensity and feel that throw and spread is alright, a 100/90 or HID upgrade would do.
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 00:26   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. It blinds you by refecting back in rainy, foggy and poor visibility conditions. They perform great when the weather is clear. With proper focus projectors look like this

There are Halogen projectors and there are HID projectors. Sadly, they are not interchangeable. If you already have projectors, please stick to the bulbs that the projectors are meant for. ].

Thanks again ! The Ciaz comes with halogen projectors for the low beams. Dropped the idea of the HID conversion kit that I was planning to go for.

Attaching a pic to show the difference between the low beam OE H7 headlight( LHS) and a 55W Philips Xtra Vision replacement bulb ( RHS ).

Best Xenon HID conversion kit-imageuploadedbyteambhp1452970426.514759.jpg
Old 18th January 2016, 21:40   #269
Senior - BHPian

Are the halogen bulbs used with projectors the same as reflector halogens ? Im wondering if anyone has done a projector setup with 100/90 bulbs instead of HIDs.
Old 18th January 2016, 22:03   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Are the halogen bulbs used with projectors the same as reflector halogens ? Im wondering if anyone has done a projector setup with 100/90 bulbs instead of HIDs.
Yes. The halogen bulb used in projectors are the same as used in regular reflectors. The parabola reflector of the projector is designed with the filament / light source at a specific point. That is the reason the use of halogen bulbs in HID projectors and vice versa is a bad idea, as the point of light source is different for these bulbs.

To answer your question - projectors are meant to give a focused beam of light, thus giving better light with lower wattage. Why would you want to put 100/90 bulb? Not sure if the projector can handle the extra heat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks