Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2019, 19:35   #1066
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying & Using a Pressure Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
and some drums in our factory.
I would recommend trying it out personally for your intended use. The Karcher K2 could not satisfactorily remove the mud from the wheel wells of my car. The 110 bar pressure is really too low.
Old 25th April 2019, 22:39   #1067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
We are looking for a pressure washer to clean our i10, my scooter and some drums in our factory. Looking at the Karcher K2 compact and Bosch Aquatak 110. The reviews for both are mixed on Amazon so am not sure on how to proceed. How is the quality of parts, price of spares, etc. considering these are base models? If anyone could suggest a better alternative, please let me know. Thanks!
I would recommend you to stretch your budget a little, and go for a minimum 125 bar and above for better cleaning. And for the service and spare, please take feedback at the local level because every company has different standards in different cities, and too much depends on the attitude of the service provider.
Old 26th April 2019, 10:58   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4X4 View Post
I would recommend you to stretch your budget a little, and go for a minimum 125 bar and above for better cleaning. And for the service and spare, please take feedback at the local level because every company has different standards in different cities, and too much depends on the attitude of the service provider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I would recommend trying it out personally for your intended use. The Karcher K2 could not satisfactorily remove the mud from the wheel wells of my car. The 110 bar pressure is really too low.

Thanks guys. I'll just try the K2 for now though since I am on a budget. If it doesn't serve my purpose I'll return it and look for a better option.
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 13:32   #1069
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a reminder that the last time I saw a pressure washer manual it warned against using full pressure on cars as damage can result.

Please don't do this to your cars. The way people are talking about pressure makes me think you guys really want a sand blaster!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 13:38   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Just a reminder that the last time I saw a pressure washer manual it warned against using full pressure on cars as damage can result.

Please don't do this to your cars. The way people are talking about pressure makes me think you guys really want a sand blaster!
You spoke my mind. Everyone here is on ABOUT MAX psi and MAX BAR, but no one really knows the upper limit that would damage paint.
It's just a pressure washer guys! Concentrate more on the washer bit and less on the pressure part!
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 14:31   #1071
Distinguished - BHPian

Expectations have to be managed. Don't think that caked-on wheel-well mud is going to vapourise: it probably won't. But, with a bit of soaking and going over it a few times, a pressure washer will remove it, probably more easily than other methods.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 14:34   #1072
Distinguished - BHPian

Thumb rule is, if the water jet feels comfortable on your palm, the paint is fine. If not, the paint too is getting damaged.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 15:36   #1073
BHPian

I need to get a washer to wash the plants in my balcony, the washer should have water storage built in (5-10 L). Currently I use the manual ones which are available commonly, however they break down frequently and are pain to use. Any suggestions.
Old 26th April 2019, 15:40   #1074
Distinguished - BHPian

This stuff is really not for washing plants. Pressure washers can break up concrete: for plants you really need something gentle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Thumb rule is, if the water jet feels comfortable on your palm, the paint is fine. If not, the paint too is getting damaged.
Thumb rule is never, ever to test a pressure washer on flesh!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 26th April 2019 at 15:42.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 23:47   #1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

You are right here if you use only pencil jet it will inevitably harm the paint but with Bosch 3 in 1 nozzle with soap option is as good as service center washing pressure, and it does not do any harm to the car if you use it wisely.
I would here want to recommend not to buy a washer with only pencil jet spray, instead, go for a brand which provides 3 in 1 nozzle option or spray pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
You spoke my mind. Everyone here is on ABOUT MAX psi and MAX BAR, but no one really knows the upper limit that would damage paint.
It's just a pressure washer guys! Concentrate more on the washer bit and less on the pressure part!
The spray option is way below the upper limit so it will not do any harm to the paint.
And it should be of a proper combination of wash and pressure to do the job effectively. Otherwise, it will not solve the purpose.
Old 27th April 2019, 00:17   #1076
BHPian

I'm planning to buy a pressure washer with a max budget of Rs.10k. Confused between Bosch aquatak 125 and Karcher k2. Any inputs? Didn't consider resqtech since they don't have any service center in Kolkata. Thanks in advance!
Old 27th April 2019, 11:45   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_RD View Post
I'm planning to buy a pressure washer with a max budget of Rs.10k. Confused between Bosch aquatak 125 and Karcher k2. Any inputs? Didn't consider resqtech since they don't have any service center in Kolkata. Thanks in advance!
If you want to draw water from a bucket, go with Bosch 125. Although many people say that K2 also can draw water from a bucket, the company official take on it is that it will damage the motor. All Bosch models comes with self priming feature.
Secondly karcher spares and accessories are costlier.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 12:08   #1078
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently I bought myself a Karcher K4.

I had never owned a pressure washer before. I have used them many times at self car wash places and at the odd marina working on yachts.

Our primary purpose, or so my wife tells me, is to use it in our garden. We have are fortunate enough to have a seizable garden, lots of grass and borders, but also lots of terraces. And that means a lot of grass and weeds in between the various tiles, cobblestones etc.

Removing them by hand is a huge job. My next door neighbour had one of these so I had a chat with him. He used his very successfully to blast away the moss/weeds.

So a few weeks ago I sett off to a local DIY centre. We have several of these all within a 20 minutes drive. I went to a specific one, where I knew you can get good advice. Plenty of DIY centres about, with great stuff. But only a few of them have really knowledgeable staff.

Anyway, so I ended up talking to a nice sales guy who knew a lot. Basically, I asked him what kind a pressure washer I needed and what are the criteria for buying one.

Ultimately it is down to pressure/capacity to a large extend of course. But he came up with some other good criteria as well. The smaller units might struggle with continuous use. When I do our terraces I am at it for almost a day. Smaller units might not cope well with that. Fine for hosing down a car, the garden furniture, but to keep going for hours at full blast you better get a larger unit.

I do not know how these Karchers are sold in India, but in the Netherlands they all come in a certain package. A larger unit also gets you more accessoires and also, importantly a longer high pressure hose. Mine comes with a 6 m hose. Again, this was good advise from the sales guy. One model down and it would have been a 4 m hose. Even when hosing down a car, that means you need to drag the whole pressure washer around the car several times.

On the box of the Karcher they actually give rough specification on average cleaning time per square meter. For the K4 they reckon you can do 30-35 m2 per hour.

Mine comes with two lances, the regular one and a special ultra high pressure. Also included is one of these special terrace/wall cleaning attachment. Not very effective I found.

It has the possibility to attach cleaning liquid/shampoos etc on the pump as well.

Buying & Using a Pressure Washer-p4070005.jpg

In the end I ended up buying the K4. I have used it a few times. The big jobs were doing the garden terraces. Not only did it pretty good blazing away the moss/weed in between the terrace, it did extremely well cleaning up the surface of the tiles/cobble stone. Had not really noticed, but they had a very thin layer of much and grime attached to it. Very different colour terraces we have know.

It does take a lot of time though. You can not just flick the hose around. You actually have to aim carefully, move the water stream across the tiles/cobble stone slowly.

I have used it on my wife’s Ford Fiesta once.

This thing was not cheap, but I am very pleased with it.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 14:30   #1079
Senior - BHPian

The lance does have an option to vary the pressure of the output, once decreased, the pressure is significantly low. You do have the option to turn down the force if required using this lance. I am talking about the vario lance. There is no way to increase the max pressure than what the machine can pump out. I feel it is better to buy a higher pressure washer and vary to a lower pressure output than being stuck with a lower pressure.
Old 27th April 2019, 16:45   #1080
Distinguished - BHPian

Your "lower" pressure is already substantial.

There are times when we wish for higher pressure. Mine was when removing flaking paint from my terrace. But, as I said, it is not a sand blaster!

After the demise of my small Bosch unit, I have always been satisfied with the two bar pressure from my garden hose. Except it is not so good as the pressure washer when it comes to under the car.

All of us tend to be tempted by "higher" specs when buying our toys and tools. That's fine, but necessity is different. And so is danger.

Jeroen gives some good reasons for buying the larger models.

GAS: I don't feel any need at all to buy a pressure washer. As I said, the pressure in my house is enough. But still, sometimes, I get the temptation to buy one!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks