Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2024, 15:29   #886
BHPian

Re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Since this is a ceramic coating thread and our members are discussing the variety of pricing by professionals and few here would love to save cost and do a DIY I am sharing my video where I have explained a simple and step-by-stmic coating .....
Bumping a very old post, have a question, where did you get the handheld polisher, if you can please share.
I am using a rechargeable drill with buffer adapter but yours look much handier

Last edited by bblost : 28th March 2024 at 15:30. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 1st April 2024, 15:11   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapien View Post
2. **Carspa Baner**:

3. **3M Pashan**:
Hi Sapien,

I am also looking for ceramic coating for my new Creta in Pune. I have visited 3M Aundh, Kothrud and Carzspa at Baner.

What I observed is that 3M people do not claim anything about the hardness of the coating liquid they use like the others claim as to use 9H or 10H.

What 3M people say is that they have one standard product (I have given screenshot at the bottom of the post). But since 3M is renowned company, they claim that their product is better.

But others like Carzspa and few others I checked claim that they either use 9H or 10H product and have packages as per the hardness of the product used.

So, I am not sure if this hardness level (9H or 10H) is real thing as claimed by other detailers or 3M is still to get there...

So Sapien and others BHPians, if someone can throw more light on it and clear the doubt, it will be very helpful for me to take a decision.

The Ceramic Coating Thread-3m_ceramic_coating.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd April 2024 at 03:09. Reason: Quote trimmed, spacing fixed. Picture inserted in-line
Old 2nd April 2024, 00:38   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya_ip View Post
So Sapien and others BHPians, if someone can throw more light on it and clear the doubt, it will be very helpful for me to take a decision.
3M might say they are the best but their warranty of only 1 year says otherwise. Also, they are giving free top-ups twice within 360 days of original application which indicates that their coating requires top up. This can be considered an advantage as your car gets detailed professionally 3 times in a similar cost.

Regarding Carzspa, I chose them based on a recommendation by a friend who is into detailing. Specifically Bavdhan branch as they were more responsive and gave a better deal. Also, Carzspa have very well defined products with associated warranties. Depending on the SiO2 content the warranty of the product is decided-
  • 9H LITE CERAMIC COATING= 1 YEAR LIFE 60%SIO2
  • 9H TRINITY CERAMIC COATING* =3 YEAR LIFE 80%SIO2
  • 10H PANTEGAON WHICH HAVING 5 YEARS LIFE 90%SIO2
Here’s a blog on same - https://www.carzspa.com/what-is-cera...hydrophobicity.

Regarding 9H, 10H and so on its a unit of hardness, i.e. if a pencil of 9H hardness scratches the paint this coating will protect it. Max hardness is 10H from what I’ve read. But from my experience a stone hitting a car at good speed is much more damaging than these 9H, 10H. When graphite gets added to the polymer its protection quality improves further and is known as Graphene. Some people call it 11H and so on.
You may also consider Brotomotive, they claim to follow very good processes and hence achieve great results. They are a bit on expensive side though. Please share your experience and decision.

Note : Ceramic coating only protects from nature elements like sun, rain atmosphere etc. For protection against physical damage PPF is the only option but with the cost’s going upwards of 1 lac, one can get full car repainted few years down the line!

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd April 2024 at 03:09. Reason: Quote trimmed. Don't quote large posts entirely.
sapien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 01:31   #889
phi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapien View Post
Note : Ceramic coating only protects from nature elements like sun, rain atmosphere etc. For protection against physical damage PPF is the only option but with the cost’s going upwards of 1 lac, one can get full car repainted few years down the line!
I agree. I went through this thought process in December 2023 for my new car. Wanted to go for full PPF, but my well-intentioned detailer talked me out of it - he suggested doing PPF on bonnet, door edges, bumper etc. and doing ceramic elsewhere. His point was that PPF is needed only at places that are most susceptible to hard impact, rock chips etc. Finally, went for CQuartz Finest with 5 years warranty (with annual re-applications) and partial PPF as he suggested.

A few weeks back, I got a full-length scratch on the left side from a shrub, as I had to make space on a narrow hill road. It did not go with simple washing, except on the door edges where PPF was present, where a simple wipe with my finger was enough to clear the scratch. So I took it to the detailer - they applied SiO2 spray and wiped, and most of the scratch went away. I can still make out traces at one or two places if I look carefully - and they said they will fix those the next time we re-apply the coating.

Then, I noticed a 1mm spot on the rear door - looks like someone who parked near my car opened their rear door too hard. The impact was hard enough to leave a break in the ceramic coat and the clear coat, though the paint underneath is safe. This cannot be fixed without a touch-up (which I am not doing now, even though I cannot un-see that spot, now that I have seen it. ). Apparently, PPF would have prevented this too.

Other than these, the ceramic coating has been great. It is super-easy to maintain the car (with a lot of love) and it looks amazing. I keep thinking that I should probably have gone ahead and pushed for a full PPF, except for maybe the roof. It is probably my OCD, but there is something to be said for the joy of seeing the car gleaming like new, every time you pamper it a little.
phi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 20:08   #890
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to get some guidance from my fellow members. I am looking at getting Graphene Coating done for one year old XUV 700. Now, I have contacted Detailing Street and Detailing Mafia.

1. Detailing Street has quoted 38k for 5 years with 10 FOC bi-annual maintenance and I would have to drop the car with them for 24 hours.

2. Whereas Detailing Mafia has quoted 42k for 5 years with only 3 maintenance to be carried out every 15/18 months. And I would have to drop the car with them for 2.5 days.

Now, the confusion is detailing street doing a shoddy job/using a low quality product that can be applied withing 24 hours and needs extensive maintenance. If any fellow member has got any wisdom on the above, would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 24th April 2024, 23:36   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrygamer View Post
Bumping a very old post, have a question, where did you get the handheld polisher, if you can please share.
I am using a rechargeable drill with buffer adapter but yours look much handier
I bought it off Amazon. There are many such similar tools. If you have a electric connection i would suggest you to buy a powerful electric DA polisher instead. In USA where i stay i did not have power connection in parking.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 11:15   #892
BHPian

Yups bought one off Amazon but to be honest ,i have a 20v drill , get better results from that

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks