Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2023, 02:08   #781
BHPian

Re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post

Also, you’re getting ripped off at 56k for just a 3 year coating. They should be doing a 7 year+ flagship variant for that much. Pay 30-35k max for glossy paint. Since there is no machine polishing on matte cars, you should ideally be paying much less, the only correction done will be on lights and any glossy black plastic on the outside.

Please help me out one more time.
One of the senior staffs from the dealership who knows about ceramic coating , ppf and matte paint told me to not go for ppf and instead opt for ceramic if I really want to have something that protects my matte paint without burning a hole in my pocket

He kind of explained it like, there are broadly 3 types of scratches/damages that happen.

First is very light impact scratches like swirl marks that can be self healed by the ppf. Such marks won't be highly visible on a matte paint even if I don't have a ppf. The uneveness of matte paints hides those marks to a great extent and id have to do a very close observation to find them.He also told me how to clean the car so as to not cause any swirl marks in the first place and also said that cermaic coating also helps in resisting the swirl marks to a great extent.

Second are those medium impact scratches where ppf takes the impact gets scratched and damaged but protects the paint. Now he said, which i agreed with , 99% of the time people won't want to spent 10-15k to change the ppf of the panel straight away and usually wait for it to get scratched/damaged more until they get it replaced. Now end result with and without ppf would be you'd be driving a car with visible scratches.

The only benifit would be when you decide to clear out the scratches, original paint would be protected when you remove the ppf and reapply a new one but you'd need to repaint the entire panel if I didn't have the ppf . But on the hind side I'd save money because they will use the insurance to pay for repainting and are also offering free ceramic coating for repainted panel.

Third are those scracthes/damages that are so severe that they cause a dent. In such case I'll have to repair the panel and then repaint it in both the cases, so ppf is pretty much useless and would only be burning an extra hole in my pocket because after Repainting you'd want to apply ppf again so that the texture of that panel matches with the texture of rest of the car, where as I wouldn't have to pay anything in case I opt for ceramic as they are will again use the insurance for repaint and ceramic coat would be complementary.

They say that their staff is trained by kia and their raw materials is supplied by kia itself and you will get the paint quality as close to factory finish as possible Incase of repaints. He said, in essence, all I'd be doing by applying ppf would be saving the insurance company's money and not mine

What do you think is ceramic coating the better way to go and a better value for money option? The dealership is offering 3 year 3M ceramic coat for 24000/- . Kia dealership and 3M from my city have a tie up of some sort. Also free cermaic coating for repainted panel would only be applicable if there is only one panel to be repainted at a time. In case I have 2 or more panels to be repainted I'd have to share half the cost.

Last edited by Mr Anderson : 31st August 2023 at 02:28.
Mr Anderson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 09:26   #782
BHPian

I would say look at your previous vehicles, where have all the scratches, dents occurred on the body panel. Use that to narrow down your choices.
Example: Bumpers have a lot of minor scratches - go for PPF only for that area.

Ceramic coating is a great choice as it keep your paint shining like new for at least 3-6 months. Provided you take care during the cleaning routine.

In order to extend the life of the ceramic coating:
  • Park you car in covered area
  • Clean the car once every two weeks, preferably with high quality microfiber dipped in no rinse wash solution and use the Jopasu duster during the rest of the days
  • During you rains you will have to use the pressure washer, but you can provide your own microfiber and cleaning solution
bharatbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 14:52   #783
BHPian

Hi, which outlet in Mumbai would be your recommendation for getting a ceramic coating done for my Virtus?

My Honda Amaze had Waxoyl paint protection applied in 2013, and I buffed it 2 years later. But the detailer who did it vanished from Chandivali. The protection was still passable until 2022. I had Diamondbrite nano ceramic coating done by Glass Polish India at Chembur for my Verna in 2018, and it stood the test of time till I sold the vehicle last month.

I am surprised that both brands are not available in India, at least in Mumbai, anymore.
Old 4th September 2023, 18:04   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham View Post
Hi All ,

Esperto : 5 layer coating with complete car detailing with 3 year warranty is 38k after discount

I’ve heard great reviews about esperto but wondering if the price difference between the two
is worth the risk going with DM or just play safe with esperto
So looks like I was one of the lucky few to get this deal , Tried getting a similar deal for my friends Slavia but its no longer available. So anyone planning to approach them please do bare in mind the prices have gone up but the quality of work done by them definitely justifies the premium compared to other detailers
Old 4th September 2023, 19:12   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wohroy View Post
Hi, which outlet in Mumbai would be your recommendation for getting a ceramic coating done for my Virtus?
Check this out, they are well known detailer in Mumbai.
http://www.ocddetailstudio.com/
finneyp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 22:13   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wohroy View Post
My Honda Amaze had Waxoyl paint protection applied in 2013, and I buffed it 2 years later. But the detailer who did it vanished from Chandivali. The protection was still passable until 2022. I had Diamondbrite nano ceramic coating done by Glass Polish India at Chembur for my Verna in 2018, and it stood the test of time till I sold the vehicle last month.
What kind of care did you take for both these cars, can you elaborate a bit?
Old 6th September 2023, 17:12   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
One of the senior staffs from the dealership who knows about ceramic coating , ppf and matte paint told me to not go for ppf and instead opt for ceramic if I really want to have something that protects my matte paint without burning a hole in my pocket

He kind of explained it like, there are broadly 3 types of scratches/damages that happen.
Matte paint does show swirls and scratches make no mistake and it cannot be corrected like glossy paint can be. I’m no fan of covering paint up with plastic that yellows over time as well as opening up a brand new car piece by piece to get an invisible install, so yes if it was my car I’d get a coating and skip PPF.

Any major impact and you’ll be in the body shop, PPF or not. At least until you need repairs you’ll have the factory fit on all panels as ceramic needs no disassembly.

Regarding paint quality, every dealer will say their paint quality will be excellent, you’ll only find out later it won’t be. Don't hesitate to explore good quality after market body shops that do much better work than the dealer. Many will also be listed on your insurers website, it’s not necessary to stick to the dealer when processing a claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Ceramic coating is a great choice as it keep your paint shining like new for at least 3-6 months. Provided you take care during the cleaning routine.

In order to extend the life of the ceramic coating:
  • Clean the car once every two weeks, preferably with high quality microfiber dipped in no rinse wash solution and use the Jopasu duster during the rest of the days.
A high quality coating lasts many years with safe washing, if only 3-6 months are desired then even a good paint sealant will get the job done.

Please don’t do this as the duster will scratch your paint in a very short period of time and improper use of ONR will add to the scratching and swirling.

Thoroughly pre rinse your paint with a pressure washer prior to ONR, use multiple towels/mitts dipped in ONR, with one towel per panel, work top to bottom with zero pressure if you want to do it safely.

People often confuse rinseless washing with waterless washing, the two are completely different.

Last edited by AJ56 : 6th September 2023 at 17:13.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 21:32   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post

You have two options for protection either ceramic or PPF. Ceramic will give you chemical layer of protection whereas PPF will give you a decent level of physical protection and is a value for money longer life protection treatment. A ceramic package should cost you around Rs.25,000 with atleast 3 maintenance treatments included.

Matte paint will by itself show very less swirls and scratches. If you want to maintain the matte sheen, PPF is the way to go. End of the day your budget will dictate the choice. Repainting in matte is also easier, there are more and more body shops coming up all over the country, having access should not be an issue.

I would like to post the market reality for the benefit of everyone reading and following this thread and also clear up some major misconceptions.

The PPF market has evolved tremendously and moved on in past few years. Most of the big brands selling PPF are only marketing companies, PPF is manufactured by bulk manufacturers and just white labelling is happening. The same quality is available for less than half the rate in the market and is easily accessible which is made in Korea and China. PPF is no longer an elite and expensive product as before, prices have come down gradually. As far as yellowing is concerned modern day TPU (thermo plastic urethane) can offer easily upto 4-5 years of anti yellowing.

Matte PPF for Sonet full tuck in application would be Rs. 75,000 max with a 5 years warranty. With this package you should be getting ceramic coating for wheels, external plastics, front and rear glass and leather as complimentary. Also complimentary PPF insurance is included as well in the package for 3 panels damage in the 1st year. (Detailer will pay premium for 1st year on customer behalf) Additional 2 maintenance treatments should be included as well.

In the Bangalore detailing market (the most evolved in India currently) this is the situation and could vary across the country depending on detailer experience and access to trained manpower.

Dismantling for a full tuck in process is the best process and is very easy to carry out. Handles, door beadings, tail light, bumpers are all loosened and fitted back. There is no rocket science involved and is matter of course in daily operations of any professional detailer. If the detailer cannot dismantle and reassemble such simple things they are not fit to be called a detailer in today’s day and age.

Any more questions or doubts please go ahead !
Old 7th September 2023, 10:00   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
What kind of care did you take for both these cars, can you elaborate a bit?
Sure. For Amaze, I had given a car shampoo provided by Waxoyl and a microfibre cloth to my housing society caretaker for cleaning the car 3 times a week. For Verna, I had a car care kit provided by Diamondbrite. It had a conserver and a shampoo—the same process used to be followed. The conserver was used only for removing minor scratches, and it worked wonderfully well. I used to take the car to the Chembur Glass Polish India outlet for follow-up care every year for 3 years.
Wohroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 17:30   #790

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
Hello Members, has anybody tried this product - Onyx graphene pro 10h n1? I am exploring this through a detailer known as "The Car Laundry" at Bangalore. Any feedback would be helpful.
Hi, were you able to find any info? I have been offered the same by a delaer called falcon detailing on cmh road
Old 7th September 2023, 19:20   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post

Matte PPF for Sonet full tuck in application would be Rs. 75,000 max with a 5 years warranty. With this package you should be getting ceramic coating for wheels, external plastics, front and rear glass and leather as complimentary. Also complimentary PPF insurance is included as well in the package for 3 panels damage in the 1st year. (Detailer will pay premium for 1st year on customer behalf) Additional 2 maintenance treatments should be included as well.

In the Bangalore detailing market (the most evolved in India currently) this is the situation and could vary across the country depending on detailer experience and access to trained manpower.

Any more questions or doubts please go ahead !
Which detailers have you worked with in Bangalore? Anyone from south Bangalore?
Old 8th September 2023, 06:51   #792

I am planning to buy a Virtus GT, wanted to get inputs from the experts. I can't clean my car on my own on a regular basis. The car cleaner I have does clean many other cars in my society. He does wet cloth wipe and I don't have the time and energy to go and check every time if he is cleaning the car with freshly cleaned cloth. The same guy has been cleaning my car for past 3 years, While the swirl marks are there I am satisfied with the cleaning job that this guy does.

What kind of paint protection should I go with. Since PPF is very soft, I believe it will loose its shine within few months. While I am inclined towards ceramic, but I am not sure how long the coating will last with the regular cleaner that I have. Is it okay, if I take the top-up plan from the ceramic vendor so that I can get the swirl marks removed after every 6 months.

Also will be helpful if experts can share the best ceramic and PPF vendors in Hyderabad.
Old 8th September 2023, 08:57   #793
Senior - BHPian

Any BHPian have got the ceramic coating done for a Tata Car through a Tata Dealer? The dealer are offered a ceramic coating from 3M, anybody got the coating done from them? Would like to know the durability of the same along with the gloss levels? What is the general maintenance top up schedule for 3M coatings?
Old 8th September 2023, 09:10   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sufficient_shop View Post
Which detailers have you worked with in Bangalore? Anyone from south Bangalore?
There are many detailing shops but i would suggest you visit a few of them and check them out in person
A few pointers to keep in mind,

- Does the detailing shop have a founder or owner who is having a background in detailing or are they in it just to make money and disappear later ? Do they have proper trained manpower ?

- Do they have access to required machines and technology?

- Are they looking at having a long term relationship with you and your car ? can they properly assist you with any queries down the road ?

Bangalore is spoilt for choice with many good detailers across the city !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 09:11   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post

Please don’t do this as the duster will scratch your paint in a very short period of time and improper use of ONR will add to the scratching and swirling.
AJ, are you saying using Jopasu duster can scratch the paint? Is this irrespective of ceramic coating or not?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks