Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2023, 10:13   #691

Re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

Hi guys!

Apologies if this has already been asked (I did go through the last 7-8 pages of the thread but couldn't get a conclusive answer)

I will be getting the new Verna Turbo (Black) delivered this week. I am super confused between getting a PPF or ceramic as I do want the car paint to stay shiny for the foreseeable future.

Here is my confusion:

I live in Delhi NCR so scratches, paint scrapes would always be there; no kind of PPF or coating can provide full protection anyway. And I am one of those who opts for multiple insurance claims, if need be. So a protection such as PPF becomes a super expensive proposition (compared to the price of the car) as I'll have to get re-application done after every insurance claim.

To summarize, I want my car to have the shine or gloss for some good time. From what I read, following are the options:

1) Getting a full PPF
2) Getting a full ceramic
3) Getting PPF for certain parts and ceramic for the non-scratch prone areas
4) Ignore all of these coatings and just get a regular rubbing+buffing+polishing job done every 6 months.

BHPians, please help!
Old 3rd May 2023, 13:42   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
I only reference real world prices. You are welcome to drop by anytime
Hello again, I recently took delivery of a black Hycross. You convinced me to give the pros a chance instead of DIY so I have been comparing detailing shops in Thrissur and Kochi.

So far I have narrowed down on 3 of them.

1. Schimmer detailing : https://schimmer.in/

They use these bottles of graphene epitome which I can't find much info on: The Ceramic Coating Thread-bb05d513c9fb450b879d257d92f1745a.jpg

They provide 2 free services and a 6 year warranty for 49k. Along with free silencer coating and leathercare which I don't care about.

Now while graphene seems like a common marketing technique, I did check out their workshop in person and it seems decent. Temperature controlled room and curing lights, they seemed pretty well equipped and had a decent number of high end cars coming in. I also checked out a black kia that they had just finished work on and it looked pretty good.

2. Ultimate Detailerz: https://ultimatedetailerz.com/premium-services/

Came across them via an instagram ad. Initially brushed it off till I realised they are certified by Carpro and they are offering CQuartz UK 3.0, CQuartz professional and even CQuartz finest reserve depending on the package.

I have not checked out this workshop in person yet but it seems promising so far. I am contemplating taking the ultimate package which uses finest reserve with 4 year warranty and 3 free services.

3. Autostarke Thrissur. This is owned by the same people who own the toyota dealership. They use products by Feynlab and have offered me a 1 year ceramic coating at a very tempting price as part of an offer.
Old 4th May 2023, 20:03   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.bhomawat View Post
Hi guys!

Apologies if this has already been asked (I did go through the last 7-8 pages of the thread but couldn't get a conclusive answer)

I will be getting the new Verna Turbo (Black) delivered this week. I am super confused between getting a PPF or ceramic as I do want the car paint to stay shiny for the foreseeable future.

Here is my confusion:

I live in Delhi NCR so scratches, paint scrapes would always be there; no kind of PPF or coating can provide full protection anyway. And I am one of those who opts for multiple insurance claims, if need be. So a protection such as PPF becomes a super expensive proposition (compared to the price of the car) as I'll have to get re-application done after every insurance claim.

To summarize, I want my car to have the shine or gloss for some good time. From what I read, following are the options:

1) Getting a full PPF
4) Ignore all of these coatings and just get a regular rubbing+buffing+polishing job done every 6 months.

BHPians, please help!
Regular buffing, waxing and polishing job would be best if you are sure that your car will undergo panel replacements or repainting every year. A bottle of turtle wax is more than enough to keep reapplying it after every repair.

You could also go for full ceramic on body + ppf on only headlights and taillights because glass can’t be repaired and it would help against small scratches from stones or two wheelers. This is in case you decide to get small repairs done from outside instead of going the showroom insurance claim route.

Last edited by Cresterk : 4th May 2023 at 20:05.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 20:22   #694
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
foam wash + chemical decon, this is needed maybe once a year, sometimes once every 2 years)
Hello AJ -

Always wanted to check with you about this decontamination wash. What is that about? If I understand correctly, it is to remove mineral deposits from regular water wash. But is it some special shampoo that has some chemicals to interact with mineral deposits and remove them. Or is it some chemical powder or spray? Should it be done only on ceramic coated cars or it can be done on a regular car without ceramic coating? If it can be done, will it affect paint clear coat?
Old 4th May 2023, 21:56   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Hello AJ -

Always wanted to check with you about this decontamination wash. What is that about?
This is what should be done normally in a Decon wash/ceramic maintenance service.

Foam wash the car.

Use a mineral deposit remover in all parts susceptible to hard
water deposits like logos, grills, plastic claddings, wheels, window beadings etc.

Use an Iron decontamination remover like Carpro IronX all over the car to remove Iron decontamination.

Tar remover in areas with tar spots.

Clay bar to remove other embedded contaminants and make the paint and glass smooth.

Apply a silica sealant to boost the hydrophobic properties.
Old 5th May 2023, 15:11   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.bhomawat View Post

1) Getting a full PPF

BHPians, please help!
I’d go with option 2) full ceramic. Understand that a coating or PPF is to protect your paintwork from different environmental factors, how glossy your car will look many years down the line, coated or not, is a function of not having swirled up paint. This is achieved by safe washing and eliminating any form of dry abrasion with the paint (like using dusters and car covers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
So far I have narrowed down on 3 of them.

1. Schimmer detailing : https://schimmer.in/

They use these bottles of graphene epitome which I can't find much info on: Attachment 2446735

2. Ultimate Detailerz: https://ultimatedetailerz.com/premium-services/

Came across them via an instagram ad. Initially brushed it off till I realised they are certified by Carpro and they are offering CQuartz UK 3.0, CQuartz professional and even CQuartz finest reserve depending on the package.

3. Autostarke Thrissur. This is owned by the same people who own the toyota dealership. They use products by Feynlab and have offered me a 1 year ceramic coating at a very tempting price as part of an offer.
I’d go with UltimateDetailerz out of these options. The first one is using rebranded coatings by putting their sticker on it, I doubt they actually mfg that coating with a team of chemists like Carpro does.

Within Carpro, both CQuartz Pro and Finest Reserve are excellent coatings, the latter is their flagship. Feynlab and SystemX are other good brands to explore if available in your city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Hello AJ -

Always wanted to check with you about this decontamination wash. What is that about? If I understand correctly, it is to remove mineral deposits from regular water wash. But is it some special shampoo that has some chemicals to interact with mineral deposits and remove them. Or is it some chemical powder or spray? Should it be done only on ceramic coated cars or it can be done on a regular car without ceramic coating? If it can be done, will it affect paint clear coat?
Not just mineral deposits but also tar and ferrous contamination that gets picked up during normal use on the road.

The first step is a foam strip wash like Carpro Reset, followed by tar/ferrous/water spot remover application depending on requirements. Not every car needs all 3, you have to check visually.

We use Carpro TRIX, which combines tar and ferrous removers in one liquid, it’s sprayed on, after 5 mins wiped off with a mitt, then rinsed. Same for mineral deposit remover.

Chemical decontamination can be done on any car, need not be coated. Safe on PPF as well, it will help prolong your paint systems life by stripping your clearcoat of the contaminants that build up over time. Just don’t let any of the chemicals dry on the paint, that can cause staining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
This is what should be done normally in a Decon wash/ceramic maintenance service.

Foam wash the car.

Use a mineral deposit remover in all parts susceptible to hard
water deposits like logos, grills, plastic claddings, wheels, window beadings etc.

Use an Iron decontamination remover like Carpro IronX all over the car to remove Iron decontamination.

Tar remover in areas with tar spots.

Clay bar to remove other embedded contaminants and make the paint and glass smooth.

Apply a silica sealant to boost the hydrophobic properties.
Please do not use clay during a ceramic maintenance service, clay is an abrasive that will swirl up the coating and diminish it’s water beading properties, which will then need machine polishing and coating reapplication to fix. Stick to only chemical decontamination with any car you don’t plan to machine polish after.

Last edited by AJ56 : 5th May 2023 at 15:15.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 20:51   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I’d go with UltimateDetailerz out of these options. The first one is using rebranded coatings by putting their sticker on it, I doubt they actually mfg that coating with a team of chemists like Carpro does.

Within Carpro, both CQuartz Pro and Finest Reserve are excellent coatings, the latter is their flagship. Feynlab and SystemX are other good brands to explore if available in your city.

Thank you. I dropped by UltimateDetailerz kochi today and met the owner. Small place but the owner seems genuine. Straight up said it won't protect against most scratches, bird droppings, hard water spots etc. He said they will take care of swirls and smaller scratches the car picks up during yearly service visit for free and in case of any accident after, the panel can be re-coated for a nominal charge as long as it is in the warranty/service period. Feels nice not to be nickel and dimed when spending this kind of money.

Also suggested PPF on high risk areas such as door sills, handles, headlights and mirrors for a slight additional cost.

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_1028.jpg

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_1029.jpg

The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_1030.jpg

And of course, I asked to see the bottle of Cquartz finest

Also, is two days enough for this to set? Or should I leave the car for longer?

Last edited by Cresterk : 5th May 2023 at 20:52.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 00:57   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Small place but the owner seems genuine. Straight up said it won't protect against most scratches, bird droppings, hard water spots etc.

Also, is two days enough for this to set? Or should I leave the car for longer?
Would clarify that coatings will most definitely protect against light scratches (most pro coatings are 5-20 microns thick), bird droppings and hard water stains, what he meant was the coating itself will take the damage and get swirled/stained and will look bad, needing machine polishing but it will protect the paint underneath.

Obviously, bird droppings and tree sap are very acidic and corrosive and if left for a long enough period of time, forget ceramic it can eat through your entire clearcoat, needing a repaint to fully fix.

2 days is about the minimum time it’ll take a shop considering all the machine work + application.

For a full cure you want to keep it dry from rain and moisture for 7 days. No washing during this time either. You can drive around normally though (assuming it’s dry outside.)
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 01:28   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would clarify that coatings will most definitely protect against light scratches (most pro coatings are 5-20 microns thick), bird droppings and hard water stains, what he meant was the coating itself will take the damage and get swirled/stained and will look bad, needing machine polishing but it will protect the paint underneath.

Obviously, bird droppings and tree sap are very acidic and corrosive and if left for a long enough period of time, forget ceramic it can eat through your entire clearcoat, needing a repaint to fully fix.

2 days is about the minimum time it’ll take a shop considering all the machine work + application.

For a full cure you want to keep it dry from rain and moisture for 7 days. No washing during this time either. You can drive around normally though (assuming it’s dry outside.)
It's settled then. I will get it done from here. Thank you so much for all your help.
Old 6th May 2023, 17:00   #700
BHPian

Any recommendations on portable (battery/12VDC) powered pressure washers from forum members?
Thanks in advance.
Old 7th May 2023, 11:09   #701
BHPian

Quote:
)
Hi AJ56, I am planning to put Puris Jade Ice coating on my car, how would you rate this brand next to CarPro.
Also, Puris claim that:
1- the coating will be effective for at-least 2 years, which I seriously doubt.
2- is a hard (7H), durable coating that is 2-3 micron thick and imparts a deep, reflective shine.

For me, if it lasts for an year, I will be happy.
Please advise!
Attached Thumbnails
The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_3191.jpeg  

Old 7th May 2023, 18:26   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
how would you rate this brand next to CarPro.
Also, Puris claim that:
1- the coating will be effective for at-least 2 years, which I seriously doubt.
2- is a hard (7H), durable coating that is 2-3 micron thick and imparts a deep, reflective shine.

For me, if it lasts for an year, I will be happy.
Please advise!
Puris is a decent coating brand, keep in mind their ICE lineup is the entry level coating, there is Quartz 9H and Quartz Pro 9H (flagship) which sit above this one. The latter two are green coloured 50ml bottles. You can use ICE to top any of the pro lineup.

You’ll get 1 year+ easily out of ICE, provided you wash safely. 7H is not as hard as 9H rated coatings, better swirl resistance.

Considering the price difference isn't much, I'd suggest going with the 9H rated green bottles instead of ICE. They’ll last longer as well.

Carpro is a better and more expensive brand objectively speaking but it’s not night and day durability wise, think Camry and E Class. Won’t go wrong with either. Screenshot showing all 3 below:
Attached Thumbnails
The Ceramic Coating Thread-img_4091.png  

AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 19:28   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Puris is a decent coating brand, keep in mind their ICE lineup is the entry level coating, there is Quartz 9H and Quartz Pro 9H (flagship) which sit above this one. The latter two are green coloured 50ml bottles. You can use ICE to top any of the pro lineup.

You’ll get 1 year+ easily out of ICE, provided you wash safely. 7H is not as hard as 9H rated coatings, better swirl resistance.

Considering the price difference isn't much, I'd suggest going with the 9H rated green bottles instead of ICE. They’ll last longer as well.

Carpro is a better and more expensive brand objectively speaking but it’s not night and day durability wise, think Camry and E Class. Won’t go wrong with either. Screenshot showing all 3 below:
Thank you AJ56 for the steer, really appreciate your quick response and clarity of thought. Will go with your advise and post the results here shortly.
kapilsharma80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 18:41   #704
BHPian

Hello Members, has anybody tried this product - Onyx graphene pro 10h n1? I am exploring this through a detailer known as "The Car Laundry" at Bangalore. Any feedback would be helpful.
Old 12th May 2023, 08:04   #705
BANNED

In September, my car Hyundai i20 will complete it's first year. It is still in stock state but during this time it has seen scrapes on all 4 sides of its front and rear bumpers and a running board repair due to a rock in a very narrow lane. As there's no option of covered parking at my place and past experience of car cover destroying the car paint, I want to know what would be the best/better way for me to maintain the remaining paint sheen of my car.
Should I get it Ceramic coating or PPF ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks