Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2023, 12:16   #676
BHPian

Re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Don’t put PPF on a silver car it’ll visibly yellow in under 2 years, applies to all the big name brands currently in the market. Regarding partial PPF, if you’re happy with your existing car then go ahead no issue.

The reason I don’t recommend it is the PPF panels will have a much greater optical distortion (also called orange peel) compared to the non PPF panels, where the fenders meet the doors for example.

Expel is the best brand for PPF, for ceramic brands like Carpro, SystemX, Kamikaze, Gyeon, etc. make some of the best pro coatings.
Thanks for the reply AJ56, it's much appreciated.

NCR is crazy when it comes to two wheels jostling for space with four wheeler, nothing against them but NCR roads are willfully unequipped to handle the traffic load. This inevitably will cause scuff marks on the car how much ever we care are careful. Just avoid the direct contact with paint surface I was thinking of getting PPF. Ceramic is just to keep the shine and reduce the hassle of cleaning especially since no one will be there to monitor it for most of the year.

Here in Canada my Tesla is white and now going on 5 year with partial PPF and full ceramic pro. No issue so far. Just a simple wash and it is shining like a brand new vehicle.

I was looking at Detailing Bull outlet in Gurgaon for getting the work done. Anyone has experience with them or their work. What products they use?
manu7781 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 14:31   #677

I was inquiring about Ceramic/Graphene coating for the XUV700 in Pune, around Wakad area.
Have talked to few detailers and now a bit confused about the same.
The first two of the detailers are car accessories shops with a space/bay available for the detailing purposes - Ceramic/Graphene.
1. CarKraft (Jagtap dairy chowk). their quotes are in the range of 15K to 20K for ceramic (3years warranty including 4 services. in service they will cover swirl marks, hard water marks removal, polishing, touch up of original coating in case of minor accidents)
For Graphene coating the quote is from 25K to 30K, other conditions remaining same.
2. Car Zone (Rahatani). Their quotes start from 18K - 9H (2yrs) for Jopasu based Ceramic coating. And further claim to have Graphene - 10H for 22K (2years - base application plus recoat after 1 year). Wonder how they claim to provide Graphene in 22K?
3. GoDetailing in Hinjewadi. They use their own coating imported from Japan and call it QuartzTeQ. They charge ceramic coating in the 18K to 22K range, as above and Graphene coating for 32K - 5 years warranty with 4 services.
4. Moto Voiture (Wakad). Here they claim to manufacture their own coatings. this was new. Ceramic - 10H is 22K or 25K for 3 yrs / 5yrs. Graphene - 14H is 28K or 35K for 5ys / 7yrs respectively.
Quite diverse quotes from them, will be further inquiring with few more detailers later today/tomorrow.

If you have leads on any reliable detailing studios around Wakad or have reviews on any of the above, please do share, will be helpful for me.
Old 8th April 2023, 16:18   #678
Distinguished - BHPian

Make graphene in your kitchen with soap and a blender.

And then charge a Rs.10,000 premium for including it in a car coating?

I'm joking, of course. No way could it be this simple. However, how much is it worth? My guess is that it is worth as much, or as little, as people are prepared to pay for the word.
Old 10th April 2023, 01:03   #679
BHPian

Hey Aakash,

Curious to know if you got the ceramic finally done, and if yes from where and what cost? Please do share! Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash29 View Post
Hey Amey,

Its an Old post but wanted to know if you managed to find a good shop in Gurgaon / Delhi ?

Looking to get my Kodiaq Ceramic coated.

Thanks !
Old 16th April 2023, 18:21   #680

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Has anyone tried/applied Super Ceramic Coating (http://superceramiccoating.com/)?
It is widely marketed in Facebook/Instagram as a DIY Ceramic coating.
Hey Brother finneyp
Do let me and others know if you got around to trying and if this is actually good for the paint and does not have any side effects ?

I have similiarly been exposed to ads for this Super Ceramic Coating DIY kit on insta and watching YT reviews of amateur bikers is not something that is convincing me - i'm also contemplating of buying Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating and ShineXPro DIY Ceramic Coating both of which claim 6-12 months protective period whereas the former SCC claims 2 years and comes in a smaller 30 ml bottle vs these which are 250 and 400 ml capacity

PS - I plan to use this on My 2023 Honda Hness CB350 so its worth the 1450 rs gamble but just need to know if this screws things up in the long run before taking the plunge
Old 16th April 2023, 22:47   #681

Does anyone have experience with “The Detailing Mafia” in Chennai. How good and reliable are they for ceramic coating. Looking for a good place to get ceramic coating done for my car.
Old 17th April 2023, 13:10   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryRed View Post
Do let me and others know if you got around to trying and if this is actually good for the paint and does not have any side effects ?
I have similiarly been exposed to ads for this Super Ceramic Coating DIY kit on insta and watching YT reviews of amateur bikers is not something that is convincing me - i'm also contemplating of buying Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating and ShineXPro DIY Ceramic Coating both of which claim 6-12 months protective period whereas the former SCC claims 2 years and comes in a smaller 30 ml bottle vs these which are 250 and 400 ml capacity

PS - I plan to use this on My 2023 Honda Hness CB350 so its worth the 1450 rs gamble but just need to know if this screws things up in the long run before taking the plunge
I have bought Super Ceramic Coating DIY kit for my new scooter (Activa 6G), not finding time to detail & apply it.
Planning to do it in a month's time. Will update here post that.

Last edited by finneyp : 17th April 2023 at 13:33.
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 13:51   #683

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I have bought Super Ceramic Coating DIY kit for my new scooter (Activa 6G), not finding time to detail & apply it.
Planning to do it in a month's time. Will update here post that.
Boss in a months time the vehicle will get scratches and you might have to do the clay bar cleaning and other polishing proicess before applying it - since the vehicle is new best to do it now after a simple wash - i bought a new bike and its been 10 days since then and there are already minor scratches coming in on the front fender so i wanted to do this asap and if you had done this over the past year i could confidently place the order.

There is this Auto Catalyst in Okhla in Delhi that has shared costs online for Bike Ceramic Coating after discounts - will have to visit sometime this week and take a quote in person and see if they go further down.

4000/- for 1 year warranty
5000/- for 3 years warranty
6000/- for 5 years warranty

They claim Ceramic Hardness : 9H
Product Used: Ceramic Hardness : 9H
Product Used: System X , made in USA & Certified by SGS
Menzerna , German based for Pre- Ceramic Procedure
Ceramic Advantages: Gloss/Shine for complete warranty years , made in USA & Certified by SGS
Menzerna , German based for Pre- Ceramic Procedure
Ceramic Advantages: Gloss/Shine for complete warranty years
Scratch Resistant upto 1000 grams of pressure
Resistance aginst Bird beats, & tree gums
Weather Corrossion resistant
Hydrophobic effect

If any feedback on them pls do let me know
Old 18th April 2023, 01:28   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Make graphene in your kitchen with soap and a blender.

And then charge a Rs.10,000 premium for including it in a car coating?
It’s just marketing, after years of my own testing, speaking to multiple chemists and the best detailers in the world like Larry (Ammo NYC), I can safely say it’s no better or worse than a good ceramic coating.

There’s a reason none of the top coating brands even bother with offering graphene coatings, from Carpro to Gyeon to Modesta, no one has brought it to market. Carpro for eg. spends a ton on research and I believe are even working on self healing clearcoat currently, which if successful can be a real game changer in the future.

Quote:
Hey Brother finneyp
Super Ceramic I had recently applied for a friend of mine as he had already bought the bottle (would always advise against cheap Chinese coatings). Followed all the steps including a full decon and paint correction and applied it, washed 1 week later and it had zero water beading.

It’s complete snake oil, you’re much better off with a turtle spray or literally any other product. Didn’t even last 7 days. Even a basic wax lasts 35-45 days.

Quote:
4000/- for 1 year warranty
5000/- for 3 years warranty
6000/- for 5 years warranty

They claim Ceramic Hardness : 9H
Product Used: Ceramic Hardness : 9H
Product Used: System X , made in USA & Certified by SGS

Scratch Resistant upto 1000 grams of pressure
Resistance aginst Bird beats, & tree gums

If any feedback on them pls do let me know
As a SystemX certified installer I can help, first he’s not an authorised shop as SystemX doesn’t have any certified installer in Delhi, you can check on their India website for the list. You will not get any mfg warranty on any of their coatings if getting it done from an outside shop.

Also ask him which variant is being used, they have 4. Crystal SS, Pro, Diamond and Max which is their flagship and comes with a 10 year warranty in India (lifetime in the US). The film thickness of each coating is in increasing order, Crystal is the thinnest at 2-3 microns and Max is the thickest at 20-22 microns. Your factory clearcoat on most cars and bikes is ~50 microns for reference.

Even the entry level coating, Crystal SS comes with a minimum 2 year warranty, so is a non SystemX coating being used in the 1 year warranty option?

Also, prices are too low assuming he’s opening a fresh kit as the kit alone costs more than what he’s charging, Diamond is well over 2 times his 5 year prices for the bottle itself.

Regarding bird droppings and tree sap, it will resist within reason. If left long enough forget the coating it is so acidic it will eat through your entire factory paintwork and will require a repaint. Ideally remove within 6-7 hours.

Scratch resistance upto 1kg? You can scratch it with 50g of pressure with an object hard enough. Just gently dragging your finger on a high gloss coated surface can leave micro marring, paint is very, very soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyadh View Post
Have talked to few detailers and now a bit confused about the same.

1. CarKraft (Jagtap dairy chowk). their quotes are in the range of 15K to 20K for ceramic (3years warranty including 4 services. in service they will cover swirl marks, hard water marks removal, polishing, touch up of original coating in case of minor accidents)
4. Moto Voiture (Wakad). Here they claim to manufacture their own coatings. this was new. Ceramic - 10H is 22K or 25K for 3 yrs / 5yrs. Graphene - 14H is 28K or 35K for 5ys / 7yrs respectively.
Quite diverse quotes from them, will be further inquiring with few more detailers later today/tomorrow.
All I can say is please find better detailers, the guy selling 14H hardness might as well write 1000H. The pencil scale of hardness ends at 9H, everything over that is just false advertising.

Also, none of these are known brands. They are rebranded Chinese/no name coatings with no mfg warranty, which will also explain the constant need of reapplication they seem to be giving you as part of the deal. High quality coatings don’t need topping up or constant reapplication.

Neither do high quality coatings need machine polishing or scratch removal periodically, you won’t have swirls to begin with if you wash it safely, if you don’t then no coating can help. Look for Carpro, Gyeon or SystemX authorised installers in Pune.

Last edited by AJ56 : 18th April 2023 at 01:52.
AJ56 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 01:57   #685

Quote:
Super Ceramic I had recently applied for a friend of mine as he had already bought the bottle (would always advise against cheap Chinese coatings).
It’s complete snake oil, you’re much better off with a turtle spray or literally any other product. Didn't even last 7 days. Even a basic wax lasts 35-45 days.
Exactly ! I was wondering if this was a cheap chinese import product just marketed well through targetted ads.
Quote:
The film thickness of each coating is in increasing order, Crystal is the thinest at 2-3 microns and Max is the thickest at 20-22 microns. Your factory clearcoat on most cars and bikes is ~50 microns for reference.
Wow you learn something new everyday.
Quote:
Scratch resistance upto 1kg? You can scratch it with 50g of pressure with an object hard enough. Just gently dragging your finger on a high gloss coated surface can leave micro marring, paint is very, very soft.
Absolutely - this was the biggest red flag after the low price point for me
Overall thank you so much for sharing this knowledge AJ.

I will happily order the Turtle Wax Hybrid solutions Ceramic spray and some microfibre cloths and get on with the task on my own.[/b]
One last question do we have to keep the vehicle in closed environment after applying this ?

I just got a bike after years of relying on public transport - I aint leaving the bike in the parking without riding everyday

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th April 2023 at 12:53. Reason: Mod note attached.
FieryRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 11:57   #686
BHPian

Quote:
One last question do we have to keep the vehicle in closed environment after applying this ?
With a spray type coating, you can ride straight away no issue. Just don’t ride in the rain or wash or expose to any sort of moisture for the initial cure period, which is around 48 hrs for turtle spray on sealants.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th April 2023 at 12:53. Reason: Bold text removed. Thanks.
Old 18th April 2023, 15:25   #687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All I can say is please find better detailers, the guy selling 14H hardness might as well write 1000H. The pencil scale of hardness ends at 9H, everything over that is just false advertising.
AJ56, In general... Thank you for your wonderful posts, backed by real professional experience.

What does this "H" grading even mean? That it can be scratched by a pencil of that hardness, or what?

I have a strong hunch that when manufacturers started giving these numbers, they were walking a fine line between not illegally making totally false claims, but not minding at all if people got it into their heads that it was the Mohs scale being talked about.

Can you enlighten us on this? Should people take any notice at all of these numbers?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 15:54   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
AJ56, In general... Thank you for your wonderful posts, backed by real professional experience.

What does this "H" grading even mean? That it can be scratched by a pencil of that hardness, or what?

Can you enlighten us on this? Should people take any notice at all of these numbers?
Yes they should, provided it’s a reputable brand making the claim backed by easily verified third party test certification.

Pencil hardness is a real scale which starts from 9B, 8B.. to F (middle of the scale) and then H.. 2H.. all the way to 9H, this is in increasing order of material hardness, generally applied to grade industrial coatings, not just limited to ceramic for automotive use.

A 9H rated coating will not scratch when subjected to the standardised test using lead of 9H hardness.

Mohs scale is used to grade mineral hardness and is very different from the pencil scale, the mineral at the end of this scale is a diamond, which is the hardest substance known to man.

This is also the reason why you’ll see Carpro introduce their new coating, DQuartz which has literal diamond dust infused in it for increased hardness and for the first time is supposedly offering significant scratch resistance. But the high cost of $1800/₹1.5L even before customs and shipping per bottle make it a niche product at best. Also real world testing is needed before their claims can be validated.

I’m attaching the SGS certification of the pencil hardness and alkali resistance tests below for SystemX Diamond, most high quality coatings should have similar results-
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sgs-lab-testing-diamond.pdf (435.2 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by AJ56 : 18th April 2023 at 16:03.
AJ56 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 22:01   #689

Quote:

Also, none of these are known brands. They are rebranded Chinese/no name coatings with no mfg warranty, which will also explain the constant need of reapplication they seem to be giving you as part of the deal. High quality coatings don’t need topping up or constant reapplication.

Neither do high quality coatings need machine polishing or scratch removal periodically, you won’t have swirls to begin with if you wash it safely, if you don’t then no coating can help. Look for Carpro, Gyeon or SystemX authorised installers in Pune.
Thanks a bunch for the advice AJ56. Will look for reliable brands for ceramic coating available around.
Even I was surprised when the guy mentioned 14H. And the part where he is manufacturing his own formula for the ceramic coating was a red flag for me.
Vyadh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 22:44   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes they should, provided it’s a reputable brand making the claim backed by easily verified third party test certification.

Pencil hardness is a real scale ... ... ...
I've known about it for just about all my life: as long as I've known pencils. 60 years or more. But, until today, I never knew that it was formally used as a measure of hardness of other materials. Fascinating, thank you very much.

I have a 9h pencil that I bought when I was about 15. It gives a faint grey line, and saw some limited use for roughing out diagrams. It could go a very, very long time before it needed sharpening.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks