Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2023, 23:18   #586
BHPian

re: The Ceramic Coating Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhrai View Post

I got a quote from Carzspa for 30K (ceramic) and 50K (graphene) with 5 yr warranty. They said I will have to visit them every 6 months for "boosting".

From Ceramic Pro I got 65k (ceramic) with 5 yr warranty. They said no boosting is required whatsoever.
Hi, there is nothing as boosting, please ask the detailer what he means by boosting? This is all mumbo jumbo to milk naive customers! A ceramic coat can only be protected with a sealent in most cases otherwise its a proper layer if applied properly and does not fade away or just drop dead, unless the car has been neglected after a ceramic coat!

Graphene coatings are the new ones on the scene and good brands are promising good results upto 5 years if maintained properly. I got Igl Kenzo on one of my cars recently which is a graphene coating and results are amazing. They claim upto 5 years lets see how it holds up.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 01:02   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Hi, there is nothing as boosting, please ask the detailer what he means by boosting?
I was told the same thing every 6 months for 3 years for my graphene coating without using the term. “Boosting” is nothing but a simply a term for your vehicle getting a proper shampoo wash/cleaning and another application of the same thing, a boost to your initial treatment if you will. I think it’s good for our vehicles because you are getting a refresh every 6 months.

Cheers
Old 12th January 2023, 10:36   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I was told the same thing every 6 months for 3 years for my graphene coating without using the term. “Boosting” is nothing but a simply a term for your vehicle getting a proper shampoo wash/cleaning and another application of the same thing, a boost to your initial treatment if you will. I think it’s good for our vehicles because you are getting a refresh every 6 months.

Cheers
Ok, understood it now. Yes the car should be washed periodically for the coat to be maintained, I get the car washed and a sealent applied every 2 months.
Old 12th January 2023, 11:54   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, there is nothing as boosting, please ask the detailer what he means by boosting? This is all mumbo jumbo to milk naive customers! A ceramic coat can only be protected with a sealent in most cases otherwise its a proper layer if applied properly and does not fade away or just drop dead, unless the car has been neglected after a ceramic coat!
By boosting he meant reapplication of the top layer.

Some are saying it’s not needed, some are saying it is needed on annually/bi-annually basis. Why can’t the industry follow a single norm?
Old 12th January 2023, 13:05   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, understood it now. Yes the car should be washed periodically for the coat to be maintained, I get the car washed and a sealent applied every 2 months.
What sealant do you use?
Old 12th January 2023, 13:11   #591
BHPian

Quote:

I got a quote from Carzspa for 30K (ceramic) and 50K (graphene) with 5 yr warranty. They said I will have to visit them every 6 months for "boosting".

From Ceramic Pro I got 65k (ceramic) with 5 yr warranty. They said no boosting is required whatsoever.

which option makes more sense?
Graphene coating is exactly the same as ceramic coating, check the MSDS (material safety data sheets) made available online by most major coating mfg’s. A graphene coating is a ceramic coating with a 0.01% (less in some cases) graphene additive. I’ve spoken to some of the best detailers in the world (Larry from Ammo NYC, Brian Apex Detail), and everyone told me what I later found out through my own testing comparing pro grade graphene and ceramic coatings - there is zero difference, in fact certain ceramic coatings outperformed their graphene counterparts. I tested gloss, hydrophobics, slickness, swirl resistance, durability, and ease of application.

It took over 2 years on my own daily driver but the results were well worth it. Graphene as a technology has a lot of promise but as of now we have not successfully applied it to coatings, also it’s frightfully expensive, any significant % if ever used in a coating would run into thousands of dollars making it commercially unviable.

To your question, ask them why is there a gap in pricing either ceramic pro is doing more layers or covering more surfaces like chrome/glass/plastics in addition to paint, if not ask Carzspa what brand of kit is used and if it’s a quality pro coating go with them. Otherwise ceramic pro.

Quote:
Plus the 6 months boosting or refresh is also a good thing because your vehicle will get pampered more and every 6 months will look like it’s got life injected into the paint.
No it’s not, every time you give your car to a shop to boost/top up a coating they’re taking a polisher to your paintwork and removing the old coating and a few microns of your factory finish, not healthy if done again and again (over a 15 year ownership period that’s almost 30 times they’ve polished your paint). Factory paint is wafer thin to begin with.

Also, ask them if they’ll open a fresh kit every time they do this top up (as machine polishing strips the existing coating), unless they’re charging you extra they will not use a fresh kit as the cost will end up multiple times of whatever they charged you.

Pro coatings don’t need periodic top ups, wash your car safely using contactless methods and you won’t need constant reapplication. See the short clip I put above (post 577) that’s after 2 years on a daily driven car with nothing more than a weekly foam wash, coating beads with almost the same performance it had on day 1. Max you’ll need is a ferrous and tar decon every year/as per requirement that’s it.

Quote:

Some are saying it’s not needed, some are saying it is needed on annually/bi-annually basis. Why can’t the industry follow a single norm?
Just like with any other industry, we have buyers and sellers with imperfect knowledge, commercial interests which often trump objective truth and heavy marketing by brands which successfully targets not just consumers but many detailers as well, who fall for it.

Even today, I get so many calls from clients wanting a Teflon coating or believing that ceramic coatings prevent scratches, once misinformation is created, it’s very difficult to overcome.

Cheers.

Last edited by AJ56 : 12th January 2023 at 13:23.
AJ56 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 14:53   #592
BHPian

Quote:
By boosting he meant reapplication of the top layer.

Stay away from this gentleman! Any ceramic coating can and must only be applied to perfectly finished paint. Ceramic coat is only needed again once the original coat goes for a toss, which depends on how you maintain your car.
The industry is full of genuis detailers who do not themselves posses the knowledge about detailing, there are some who know their stuff and thats the people you should go to. I believe there is a gentleman in gurgaon who is on our forum as well, leoshashi took his xl6 to, he has perfect knowledge on detailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
What sealant do you use?
Sir i use Gyeon Q2M cure its silica based and is easily applied after a foam wash, lasts for about 2-3 months, has impecabble gloss.
Attached Images

Old 12th January 2023, 17:59   #593

Quote:

Cheers

Lots and lots to be clarified here. There are too many schools of thought and all correct in their own right. I'll try to simplify as much as possible....
1. Coatings are highly repellent and hence will reject subsequent layers. They can be topped up with polymer +SiO2 based sealants as a sacrificial layer. At least once in 6 months, after a thorough decontamination wash, is advised.
2. There are real Graphene infused coatings and there are snake oils. All brands do not have an outstanding Graphene Coating. As long as you are going with a high solids, solvent free coating, you're sorted.
3. Booster or top-up treatment usually comprises of a detailed wash and surface decon to get rid of traffic film (diesel fumes+pollutants) which builds on the surface. Followed by topping it up with a sealant to revive hydrophobic properties and slickness.
4. Just like your vehicle needs preventive maintenance, coatings also need maintenance, if you want them to last long.
5. Reapplication of a coating would require a proper base preparation. Starting with a detailed wash, surface correction, panel wipe etc.
6. Most good quality coatings have a strong polymer as the carrier solution, which is infused with SiO2 + other additives like Reduced Graphene Oxide, Titanium dioxide, Antimony Oxide etc etc etc. The cross linking polymer holds the additive molecules in the polymet mesh which contributes to the surface properties of the coating.
7. How long a coating will last will depend a lot on how it is maintained post application. A detailer might to a fantastic application using an equally fantastic coating but if the building watchman washes the car daily, the coating will get stripped in 6-8 months or less.
FalconRider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 21:27   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconRider View Post
7. How long a coating will last will depend a lot on how it is maintained post application. A detailer might to a fantastic application using an equally fantastic coating but if the building watchman washes the car daily, the coating will get stripped in 6-8 months or less.
What is the recommended method of washing a vehicle with Ceramic coat?
Old 12th January 2023, 21:39   #595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
What is the recommended method of washing a vehicle with Ceramic coat?
Two bucket method is the safest......

Rinse down the vehicle with water.
Prepare 2 buckets. One with car shampoo solution and the 2nd with plain water.
Dip a wash mitt in shampoo solution and clean one panel. Rinse the mitt in plain water. Again dip it in shampoo solution, clean the the 2nd panel. Again Rinse the mitt in plain water. And so on and so forth.
Starting from the top and working your way down.
Use a different mitt for wheels and underpanels.

Once all panels have been cleaned, Rinse again with plain water and Dry with a soft plush microfiber.

Now you can use a sealant or wax of your choice
FalconRider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 23:18   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconRider View Post
Two bucket method is the safest......

Once all panels have been cleaned, Rinse again with plain water and Dry with a soft plush microfiber.

Now you can use a sealant or wax of your choice
Perfectly detailed posts, absolutely to the point and well drafted sir
The result of the 2 bucket method 2.5 years later on my ceramic coated car is posted below, unedited picture.
Attached Thumbnails
The Ceramic Coating Thread-a36ecf8a207b49dda0a7f51c09390ba3.jpeg  

Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 00:03   #597
BHPian

Would like to add, the 2 bucket method is good and much safer than other methods of washing. But on soft black Honda and Porsche paints, it tends to leave fine micro marring after a few dozen washes and definitely over 100+ washes.

The multi mitt method is what I switched to many years ago and till date it has never disappointed, essentially you’re eliminating the second bucket and both grit guards.

Post the pre rinse and foaming steps, simply take 1 bucket and fill it with your foam shampoo from the foam cannon and distilled water. Add 7-8 microfibre (noodle type works best) mitts and each mitt is only used once per panel (2 mitts on large panels), then it goes into your laundry basket and is never reused. There is zero risk of cross contamination this way and is recommended for super soft paints.

Multi mitt method with distilled water + leaf blower is in my experience the safest way to wash and dry a car with zero risk of swirling.

Last edited by AJ56 : 13th January 2023 at 00:08.
AJ56 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 14:28   #598
BHPian

Hi all, enquired with Detailing Mafia (Whitefield Bangalore) on ceramic quoting for my Hyryder, they quoted 25k for 2 years (after discount 20k), 5 years for 40k but he says this doesn't cover glass, wheels, and plastic trim. All together it will cost 53k apparently, but he's also saying ceramic is not very effective on plastic and glass. Would like to get the views of the members as I've seen posts above talking about costing the plastics as well?
He's offering to do 5 years for 40k and additional Windshield and inner Piano black parts for free. Not sure if this makes sense. Would love to hear your suggestions please.
Old 22nd January 2023, 09:08   #599
BHPian

Guys,
How is the experience/feedback on Opticoat on Bowring Hospital Road, Bangalore? Thi sis for ceramic coating or PPF application.
Old 22nd January 2023, 13:02   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonHawk View Post
he's also saying ceramic is not very effective on plastic and glass. Would like to get the views of the members as I've seen posts above talking about costing the plastics as well?
He's offering to do 5 years for 40k and additional Windshield and inner Piano black parts for free. Not sure if this makes sense. Would love to hear your suggestions please.
Go to someone who knows what they’re talking about, a quality pro coating on glass lasts well past 2 years, same for plastics (assuming it’s washed safely). Without any maintenance I might add. With the front windshield you want to avoid using the wash and wipe on a dusty surface as dry wiper to glass contact with dust in between will not only prematurely wear down the coating but also scratch the glass (the reason you see cars with wiper induced arc scratches).

To clean, safest is pressure washer failing which use a quality rinse-less wash like opti no rinse or Carpro echo 2, spray liberally on both your towel and glass and very gently wipe down.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks