Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2007, 17:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

You could get an Optra 1.8 for 5 lakhs or less and put in a gas kit (shudder), if that suits your fancy for a big car. Stay away from the Accord. In a year or two, it will be 2 generations old.
Old 9th April 2007, 18:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Thanks max - one dealer said the Precadas are much better - but nearly 4k/tyre!
I would agree they are very good tyres, but expensive!
Old 9th April 2007, 18:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

@v1p3r - yes, I reached the same conclusion. Its just the possibility of the 'upgrade' that made one wonder.

@iraghava, yep. Tho the Yokos come without any warranty etc, and the Michelins hv a 3 year comprehensive one. Thats not really worth 33% more, is it ?
Old 9th April 2007, 19:58   #49
Senior - BHPian

Roadstone/Nexen ?

Tyres: some more research
Roadstones - basically Nexen. The N2000, N3000 seem to have a fan following ! The web is full of positively surprised folks. Qn is - why experiment. Am a little like that wonly, esp when it sounds like good stuff for less dough. RAC folks were praises for it too.

Nexen N2000 tires: just how good are they?? - CarReview.com Forums

Anyone have any first hand experience ? I'm still biased towards the Yokos, but trying to confuse the hell out of myself (and gain as much gyaan as I can) before putting the moolah on the table.
Old 9th April 2007, 21:39   #50
elf
BANNED

I'm probably the first person on this forum to use the new 'flogging the dead horse smiley' correctly, so here goes.

Goodyear Eagle Venturas.
The whole flogging's because I'm probably the only one on this forum who swears by it, & I suggest it every time the "what tyre" question pops up.

Sometimes I get desultory comments, but mostly my advice is ignored & people go put silly (IMHO) Turanzas, or Nexens, or Guangzhous or Eenameenadeekas.

I'm thinking you're going to be riding on Nexens shortly?
Old 9th April 2007, 22:00   #51
Senior - BHPian

hehe, i've got the Venturas on my list too. But so far its the Yokos, with the Turanzas, Nexens/Roadstones, Michelins, Venturas following. As you might surmise, its an open field....
Why are you so confident about the Venturas, tho ? Have seen the dead horse getting flogged about your pref on other threads too
Old 9th April 2007, 22:04   #52
elf
BANNED

Well, low road noise, damn good grip, decent styling, superb ride, puncture resistance, great price & my buddy's the authorised dealer.

Plus every time I get a ride I install these, & I'm one helluva finicky SOB.

OK. Now ignore me & go ahead & buy your Eenameenaeekas.
Old 9th April 2007, 22:18   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, even Ventura reviews on the web are +ve. Prices, places in Blore to buy them, warranties ... ? Treadwear ? Also - availability (when one goes, want to be able to replace a set of 2, not all 4 necessarily).
Old 9th April 2007, 22:21   #54
elf
BANNED

Oh heck. Please don't buy the Venturas. Else my 'flogging dead horse' smiley usage shall be redundant.
Old 9th April 2007, 23:41   #55
Senior - BHPian

Get the pilot precedas, they are worth that price. Amazing road grip.
Old 10th April 2007, 00:16   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
@iraghava, yep. Tho the Yokos come without any warranty etc, and the Michelins hv a 3 year comprehensive one. Thats not really worth 33% more, is it ?
Well it's a question of priorities, if you have tyres as one of your top priorities then yes they are worth it, if not then they are not. But please do not go for brands like Nexen, Roadstones etc. They are cheap Taiwanese/Chinese brands with unproven products which when considering that we are talking about tyres is too much of a risk in my book to save a bit of money.

But then that is just my opinion.

P.S. I did go through the thread you posted & noticed that the only person who posted a positive comment was a newbie with the total of 1 posts to his name.

Last edited by iraghava : 10th April 2007 at 00:18.
Old 10th April 2007, 07:35   #57
Senior - BHPian

iraghava, you're absolutely right. Tyres are one of the priorities - most imp part of the car in many ways.

However, I'm rarely testing the limits in terms of wet weather handling, off roading (a little, yes), wheelspins/burnouts - wouldn't *any* of these tyres usually be good enough, especially given a small engined relatively less powerful (as compared to the Beemers of the world, which in some places are coming shod with the Nexens, apparently) ?

I'd ideally like to strike the right balance between money/performance/safety.
The link I posted was one sample - a quick Google search does show up good feedback about the Nexens. Of course, the yokos have similarly great reviews, and both of these come without any warranty I guess.

Michelins - surely good, but sounds like 'too-safe-not-considered-anything' a choice right now. As it may happen, that might turn out to be the eventual approach anyhow For now, looking around and researching for more gyaan/feedback.
Old 10th April 2007, 12:17   #58
Team-BHP Support

If warranty is a major thing, the gIII s carry it too, great tyres they are!!
I'd pcik between the AVS and the gIIIs.

manson.
Old 11th April 2007, 07:02   #59
Senior - BHPian

@manson, yeah warranty on a tyre seems not too important. But you never need it till you need it!

On similar lines - is it ok to keep a stock rim + tyre (13") - which is in pretty decent shape - as a spare ? It'll run short distances, and the dia is nearly the same as 195/60 R14s. Am just trying to save money on a new spare. The other alternative is to go for a non-directional 14" from a cheaper brand - and use the 5th alloy anyway (most come as a set of 5, apparently)
Old 11th April 2007, 21:53   #60
elf
BANNED

If you're trying to save money (and weight), then yes, the stock rim with a skinny tyre would work for the short distance from your flat to the tyre repair shop.

However, you'd be taking the chance that the tyre guy you'd find would know what to do with a flat tubeless tyre on alloys. Especially on the highways.

If you have unidirectional tyres with thinner / thicker ones in front / rear, then this point is redundant. Carry 4 tyres + alloys in the back in case they screw up. Or better still, carry around a tyre-wallah in the trunk.

I think it's a great idea. Don't forget to feed him occasionally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks