Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2007, 10:11   #91
Senior - BHPian

ICE - why am i sooo confused ?

@ankitahuja : pm'd you the details.

ICE gurus, with the help of hydrashok, gunbir et al, have narrowed down to the following options:

1: HU: Pio 4950 (5k), Fronts : Hertz DSK165 (6k), Rears : Hertz DCX165 (3.2k)
2. HU: Pio 4950 (5k), Fronts : Hertz DSK165 (6k), Rears : Hertz DCX690 (5.2k)
3. HU: Pio 4950 (5k), Fronts : Hertz ESK165 (9.1k), Rears : Hertz ECX165 (5.7k)

Does (1) + add an amp (Pio6200?) make sense ? Can add a sub later. I guess that'd be around 14.2+2.5(install,damping)+8k(? amp)+3k(cables) -> 27.5

Or is it (2) 16.2+2.5k(install) -> 18.7, and thnk about the amp later IFF needed
Or (3) -> 19.8 + 2.5 (install) -> 22.3 and "will never miss an amp, those speakers are v.v. good"

Which sounds more sane ? From what I've heard, the Energy series are far more natural and 'not forward' as compared to the Diecis, which are themselves not bad. Haven't been able to hear an installed setup anywhere so no clue. Not too sure if I need volume/boom - over my sucky old OEM stuff this is all going to sound much better anyhow

Basically, are decent speakers + ok amp much better than paying for the next grade of speakers ?
Old 29th April 2007, 14:25   #92
Senior - BHPian

Option 3 + an amp will sound wayyyyy better than option 2 + an amp. Is it that you will never consider an amp if you take option 3?

a. If no amp is planned in future I'd take option 2.

b. If you plan an amp in future, I'd take option 3. After all, the amp is coming later. Adding 5K now will not be too much trouble, will it? If it will be, take Option 2.

Both configs are quite good. Now it is really up to your personal taste. Maybe you should try Option 2 a see how you like things. Then add an amp. Then if you feel like it, add a sub later. Since you've saved about 5K on not getting the Energys, that can justifiably (heh, heh) go into adding a sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Basically, are decent speakers + ok amp much better than paying for the next grade of speakers ?
That's a loaded question It will depend on how far you want to take your system. Decent speakers + decent amp will be good, but then you will need to keep both all through the life of the car, or change the speakers and (soon,) the amp when you want to upgrade. But as I said above if you don't plan to add an amp when you get the next-grade speakers, I'd vote for the first speakers + the amp.

BTW, 2.5K for installing a HU & 2 pairs of speakers sounds steep to me. For this much work, I wouldn't pay more than 1K to the best installer. And the prices you mentioned are close to MRP, without discount. For a HU plus speakers install, if you get no discounts, you really should get the install done inclusive.
Old 29th April 2007, 14:30   #93
Senior - BHPian

hmm, so (1) is not even in the picture anymore ) I was thinking i'd get away with that for now and then add an amp.
Thanks bud. Will keep the installation charges vs discounts in mind. This included the mdf board etc, tho.
Old 10th May 2007, 09:19   #94
Senior - BHPian

The car's taken forever to get painted - but with the buffed and cleaned enkeis sporting the yokos, looks reasonably fresh and smart - no pics yet.

For the audio - the final combo
* pio 4950
* Hertz esk165 in the front
* Hertz dcx690 in the rears

The above combo was based on a lot of thot abt a sweet spot between SQ/VFM for a non audiophile And future upgradability if needed.

no amp, no sub for now - will consider that after a little while. (possibly used)

Should get the car in a day or two - added the foll too

- fresh sparkplugs
- OE K&N
- fresh wiper blades
- Castrol magnatec with the Bardahl additive RAC recommended - dunno what
Old 10th May 2007, 09:31   #95
Senior - BHPian

So you finally made up your mind, huh?
Old 10th May 2007, 09:37   #96
Senior - BHPian

yeah, i was hoping the car'd get done quicker, so i'd need to commit to something sooner The more you see/hear, the more the options, the more confused one gets. But thanks to you guys, there's been a reason for every decision and yeah, the 60.4 eventually didnt make sense right now.
Old 11th May 2007, 23:18   #97
Senior - BHPian

Updated the ICE section with my final install - at more than twice the initially planned budget!

The car's back - freshened up !

* looks nearly black - other people's opinion, not mine!
* K&N in - no major sound diff and still unsure whether that little bit of a different feel is cause of the new tyres+enkeis, castrol magnatec+bardahl or this. It does feel a little 'easier' to drive at lower revs esp with the a/c off. [pinch of salt alert - too early to be sure ]
* castrol magnatec with a bardahl additive diet
* New spark plugs - regular
* new mud flaps
* 14" ohc vtec alloys and Yokohama 195/60 r14s - definitely quieter but no major speed runs yet, and the zvts' were really old
* windscreen feels much worse :( Maybe I just forgot how it was.
* Third seat belt added at the rear.
* Pio4950, polk speakers + JBL 60.4 audio setup
* changed the tinted film
* new basic security system - auto cop

Overall, made it just a shade under 1L and hope to keep the car for a few years more...waiting to do a long highway run now - stretch the yokos legs a bit.

Pix tomorrow - too tired today.
Old 11th May 2007, 23:24   #98
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Sameer welcome to reality .. So when do we get to see your car and stretch the yokos ??
Old 11th May 2007, 23:34   #99
Senior - BHPian

reality - u mean wrt the K&Ns etc ? Well, it is an experiment with a strong recommendation from RAC - only praying there's no -ve impact on the engine.
Sparks needed change anyhow - and I've been told v often that 14"ers improve handling considerably.

BTW, whats the speedo error likely to be wrt the 13"ers ?
Old 11th May 2007, 23:37   #100
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
reality - u mean wrt the K&Ns etc ?
No no no .. Welcome to reality for this :
Quote:
at more than twice the initially planned budget!
Old 11th May 2007, 23:37   #101
Team-BHP Support

hey zenx how come you opted for castrol magnatec and not a pure synthetic like mobil1, shell helix ultra or ows.

congrats on your redux.
Old 11th May 2007, 23:40   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
hey zenx how come you opted for castrol magnatec and not a pure synthetic like mobil1, shell helix ultra or ows.

congrats on your redux.
small little 1.3, old careful driver, basically liked the protective layer etc Magnatec provides - don't think I need high performance oil, esp at those prices !

McL - hehe - yeah still in a daze over how I managed to spend that kinda cash - never intended to even right upto the moment I walked upto Thouqeer this morning
Old 12th May 2007, 00:01   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
small little 1.3, old careful driver, basically liked the protective layer etc Magnatec provides - don't think I need high performance oil, esp at those prices !

You are absolutely spot on, zenx. there is no need to spend obscene amount of money for the same performance. i can understand a person like our very own Mcl with all his spirit going for performance products (Since he has the prowess & the mods in his car, to test it to its limits), as a sedate user i don't think you need to spend so much on the oils, fashionable or not.

Quote:
McL - hehe - yeah still in a daze over how I managed to spend that kinda cash - never intended to even right upto the moment I walked upto Thouqeer this morning

Thank god, i haven't gone there still & i hope i wont have to either.
Old 13th May 2007, 18:41   #104
Senior - BHPian

Link to some pix - had to go someplace for a meeting during the audio install so no pics of that....

Picasa Web Albums - Sameer - OHC 1.3Exi Redux

Some more driving impressions:

* the wheels "feel" like there's much lesser roll-on resistance
* the car feels less prone to the knocking/jerks at lower revs/higher gears
* starting from a standstill feels more relaxed

Placebo ? mebbe, but enjoying it nevertheless

My son cannot stop gushing about the Enkeis - and that alone is worth it.

Audio:

Wife listens only at ultra low volumes - am amazed how clear and 'full' it manages to sound even at the Pio volume knob at 2!!!
The bass response quality varies somewhat - have to turn it down a tad for hard rock/metal (to avoid a slight - v slight - thuddiness) and turn it back up (all this by +/-1) for the softer stuff. Deep bass (v low frew notes on the bass guitar) stuff again needs to set bass lower. Of course I'm just trying to listen too hard and find nirvana so this is probably a little bit of over-reaction.

Last edited by zenx : 13th May 2007 at 18:55.
Old 13th May 2007, 19:21   #105
Team-BHP Support

Zenx, where did you get all this work done from? especially the painting and the flushing work.

good job on the car. car looks nice. Is it black with the green tinge or dark green itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks