check it out in CAR mag December issue

another level of engineering on that car

need those levels of over engineering in india
Old 4th January 2008, 17:40   #137
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Ok, so according to your final conclusion it seems as a country in whole, we have failed to atleast have 1 tuner/mechanic who is capable of assembling a Turbo setup which is good enough to win races or can be called reliable.
I think that's a bit way too pessimistic.
The results are there to be seen. There is still a long way to go in this field for our tuners. Hopefully things will change for the better in the years to come.
Old 4th January 2008, 18:06   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
...what would "RELIABILITY" be defined as, in terms of modified cars? Would it mean no problems at all or does reliability factor also overlook some particular problems? If so which? Atleast that way some customers like myself will be better prepared on what to look out for.
Quote:
What I could figure from this view is that there is no proper definition for "RELIABILITY". Or is this only in our country where professionalism is not as high as that compared to other countries? Do tuners or tuning companies abroad too have such a vague description to reliability of tuned cars as well?
Quote:
Still awaiting for that day when a tuner in India would give a turbo build along with warranty (on certain parts). Now, when such a day will see light is yet to be seen.
Finally... someone is asking the right questions.
Old 4th January 2008, 19:06   #139
Team-BHP Support

Lets all admit it the scene is infant for mods here in India and one needs to be cautious.

Things will change sooner or later, till that day lets cheer the pioneers (in india) who are willing to take the risk and work towards the fantasy (atleast for most of us) mods. Trust me last 3 years things really have changed alot, i have personally seen and felt atleast 2 such DIY jobs which are running fine so far.

Dont bring in too much of professionalism, PSI etc etc and complicate matters here.

GTO's post really makes sense, so read it and then proceed with TC, NOS etc etc etc etc etc.
Old 5th January 2008, 00:41   #140
BHPian

Exactly ! Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
lets cheer the pioneers (in india) who are willing to take the risk and work towards the fantasy (atleast for most of us) mods.
I agree with this 100%
cmon guys ..how many people in India even think of swaps/frankensteins or turbos..this scene is pretty new.
All the pioneers doing this kind of stuff should be cheered for doing all this kind of RND.If I were to get a turbo/engine swap I'd expect it to be 90% reliable not 100%.. tuning is a pretty tough job!!
Tuned cars can be 100% reliable daily drivers but it takes efforts from both the sides not just the tuner..
Old 5th January 2008, 11:16   #141
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
The cost of TCing a lancer or a city adds up to the cost of new RS (approximately) - If the above mentioned cars seem out of your budget to begin with, dont bother..and save up for something better to come your way.
Hi,

Would you mind elaborating on your statement. A new RS costs 14lacs+ approx. No one would TC a new lancer and even if he did a lancer costs approx Rs8lacs.

Full forged internals, Stand Alone ECU, and a complete branded bolt on turbo kit
should at the max cost Rs3-4lacs. which brings us to what 12lacs. A used lancer can be bought for as low as Rs2-3 lacs and turbo charged for 4 lacs which is yet cheaper than the cost of a new lancer. Heck you can get down a professional tuner to set up the car with his equipment from abroad in approx a lac.

Your figures are way of the mark buddy.

Whilst I do agree that AR Motorsports has the highest success rate to the best of my knowledge.

Viper
Old 5th January 2008, 11:50   #142
BHPian

Since ur The man for turbos could you please get in to the technical details?.i understand that you dont do the installs by your self,And how much can one turbo a Zen for..Thanks
Old 5th January 2008, 12:49   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Whilst I do agree that AR Motorsports has the highest success rate to the best of my knowledge.

Viper
could you tell us about some of the cars ar has build.
Old 5th January 2008, 12:57   #144
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
could you tell us about some of the cars ar has build.
Hi,

I do know of 3 OHC Vtecs running turbos, 1 OHC with B16A Turbo, 1 Zen with Vtec engine running turbo, 1 Baleno's and 1 old gen accord. They are all running the TC installs happily from a period ranging from 2 years to 3 years to the best of my knowledge with varying levels of boost.

There may be more cars that I am not aware of as well.

Don't have exact specs before you ask and have seen all of these with my eyes and know & have met the owners of most of the cars as well.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 5th January 2008 at 13:00.
Old 5th January 2008, 14:43   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

Would you mind elaborating on your statement. A new RS costs 14lacs+ approx. No one would TC a new lancer and even if he did a lancer costs approx Rs8lacs.

Full forged internals, Stand Alone ECU, and a complete branded bolt on turbo kit
should at the max cost Rs3-4lacs. which brings us to what 12lacs. A used lancer can be bought for as low as Rs2-3 lacs and turbo charged for 4 lacs which is yet cheaper than the cost of a new lancer. Heck you can get down a professional tuner to set up the car with his equipment from abroad in approx a lac.

Your figures are way of the mark buddy.

Viper
read between the lines buddy...I did mention approximately, didn't I??

search for a used RS, i'm sure you can find one for under 10 lacs..

My figures are NOT WAY OFF.. considering the people who are more than happy to pay a hefty premium over and above the numbers you have mentioned above..and dont mind spending the extra ton..just so its "recommended"..I can takes some names of people spending a ton on brand new cars...but i wont...so please dont tell me that - "no one would mod a brand new car"...probably the reason you guys are still in business...no offense meant...

I cant put a price on the peace of mind of owning a stock RS...If you can...consider that the savings of "modding" a cheap lancer or OHC that you say can be procured for 2 - 3 lacs (read - a month or more without a car coz its getting modded in the garage and another few months of praying while driving, hoping that the car doesn't breakdown)

A lot of people cant put together an Ikea furniture set with more than 50 bits...A lot of them can do it with ease...the guys who can, dont consider themselves carpenters now do they??

So on the same lines, Just because a few people can install a bolt on turbo on a car based on trial and error..(at the customers expense) with or with reading the manual does not make them tuners...

I can't be anymore elaborative than this...like i said before..read between the lines mate...

Cheers..

Prasad Iyer

Last edited by R32_GTR : 5th January 2008 at 14:46.
Old 5th January 2008, 17:15   #146
BANNED

Quote:
read between the lines buddy...I did mention approximately, didn't I??

search for a used RS, i'm sure you can find one for under 10 lacs..

My figures are NOT WAY OFF.. considering the people who are more than happy to pay a hefty premium over and above the numbers you have mentioned above..and dont mind spending the extra ton..just so its "recommended"..I can takes some names of people spending a ton on brand new cars...but i wont...so please dont tell me that - "no one would mod a brand new car"...probably the reason you guys are still in business...no offense meant...

I cant put a price on the peace of mind of owning a stock RS...If you can...consider that the savings of "modding" a cheap lancer or OHC that you say can be procured for 2 - 3 lacs (read - a month or more without a car coz its getting modded in the garage and another few months of praying while driving, hoping that the car doesn't breakdown)

A lot of people cant put together an Ikea furniture set with more than 50 bits...A lot of them can do it with ease...the guys who can, dont consider themselves carpenters now do they??

So on the same lines, Just because a few people can install a bolt on turbo on a car based on trial and error..(at the customers expense) with or with reading the manual does not make them tuners...

I can't be anymore elaborative than this...like i said before..read between the lines mate...

Cheers..

Prasad Iyer
Hi,

When you say approximate in India you get a leverage of a couple of thousand rupees not lacs. BTW you had quoted new RS and not used. I had given higher figures as an example for branded kits. There are cheaper alternates.

"so please dont tell me that - "no one would mod a brand new car"...probably the reason you guys are still in business...no offense meant..." - Watch your tone and language I don't take this language from anyone . In case you dont know I am in the automobile import business as a hobby because I love cars and not as a means of income. I have more than enough other activities to do.

I was only highlighting the fact that it does not take so much to mod any car and took your chosen car as an example. If you shoot of loose comments be ready to accept some criticism. How much do you know of the other tuners in Mumbai. You have only just arrived in the city. Remember everything you hear is not correct.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 5th January 2008 at 17:21.
Old 5th January 2008, 17:46   #147
Senior - BHPian

Whoa guys...chill!!! shove an ice cube up your...er.. shirts.....
Firstly no one should take things personally and no one should also make suggestive comments.
Prasad buddy why do you take things so personally, not to take sides but reading your post even I thought that you were speaking about a new car. Secondly nothing is reliable and its up to the car owner as you said, either live with it or if you cant afford it stop brooding and pointing fingers. No tuner gives 100% reliability and for the information of those who think that tuners abroad are 100% reliable then get your facts together. India as we all know, is in its infancy stage in tuning and cant reach up there as yet which is only because the facilities are not available, still to achieve so much from so little is commendable. If the proper facilities are available to us here, i think with our innovativeness and dedication, we Indians can give stiff competition to any tuner wherever. So guys kiss (not literally) and make up.
Prasad saar, hows your Herald project going on...
Old 5th January 2008, 18:22   #148
BHPian

I never meant to offend anyone guys...

Jignesh - I wasn't directing any comments towards you so dont take it personally...so the matter of my tone should not bother you as much as it did.

Any business is worth being in if there is a market for it..which is why the guys who are in it are still at it..i hope this clears things out..Why one does it is a different issue.

The part of me just returning back to bombay has no relevance here..I am well aware of what goes on here and how the current scene is..I do not go by hear say...and speak out of experience..I have dealt with 2 of the top 3 tuners mentioned here..and hence the comments..I even spoke to you about my project but time was a liberty i didn't have back then..

Lets not get offensive / defensive here about who said what.

Arre nothing personal gogi bhai..its all good..The Herald should be ready pretty soon..
Old 5th January 2008, 18:31   #149
BANNED

Quote:
I never meant to offend anyone guys...

Jignesh - I wasn't directing any comments towards you so dont take it personally...so the matter of my tone should not bother you as much as it did.

Any business is worth being in if there is a market for it..which is why the guys who are in it are still at it..i hope this clears things out..Why one does it is a different issue.

The part of me just returning back to bombay has no relevance here..I am well aware of what goes on here and how the current scene is..I do not go by hear say...and speak out of experience..I have dealt with 2 of the top 3 tuners mentioned here..and hence the comments..I even spoke to you about my project but time was a liberty i didn't have back then..

Lets not get offensive / defensive here about who said what.

Arre nothing personal gogi bhai..its all good..The Herald should be ready pretty soon..
Prasad,

You replied to my post hence it is safe to assume you directed your comments at me. If you say you did not its fine by me.

There is a lot of relevance to work being done in India and abroad hence I brought it up as you compare the two. In any case you are free to come up with your own opinion on who is good and not good.

My post was about the cost issue that you raised and not xyz tuner which you are highlighting. Anyways there is no point in arguing lets chill its not about you or me.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 5th January 2008 at 18:34.
Old 5th January 2008, 21:48   #150
Senior - BHPian

Oh come on guys, 10 pages and not a SINGLE piece of info that the OP or anyone else can use from this thread????

I think this thread would be much more useful if people posted their own BUYING EXPERIENCE with their "tuner" (sic) rather than talk some hypothetical crap leading to argument.

Like for example:

Name of Tuner
No. of known installs
Known issues faced by customers
A review of the overall experience for the customer, including cost of the system, time of install, total downtime of the vehicle, post-install issues and how they were resolved.

I am sure with a membership of over 15000 people, this forum can do much better than arguing over some hypothetical nonsense. There surely must be atleast one Team-BHP member per tuner who has gotten something done, and post their experience in the general format listed above?

Last edited by ananthkamath : 5th January 2008 at 21:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks