Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2008, 14:05   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Full forged internals, Stand Alone ECU, and a complete branded bolt on turbo kit should at the max cost Rs3-4lacs.
Cost can be more depending upon power level desired cause there are lot of other things like Brakes/Suspension upgrade etc etc, most bolt on branded turbo kits are designed to give a safe 50-75HP power increase over stock depending upon application/car/engine.

Quote:
Heck you can get down a professional tuner to set up the car with his equipment from abroad in approx a lac.
Viper
I would rather spend that money on self & undergo a professional training abroad.
Old 6th January 2008, 14:13   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I do know of 3 OHC Vtecs running turbos, 1 OHC with B16A Turbo, 1 Zen with Vtec engine running turbo, 1 Baleno's and 1 old gen accord. They are all running the TC installs happily from a period ranging from 2 years to 3 years to the best of my knowledge with varying levels of boost.
Viper
The Ohcb16T & Zen vtec T are not daily driven & comes out once in a blue moon, Accord had his T.C removed long back. not seen any baleno there, The above T.C engines were rebuild recently again cause of some problems.
Old 6th January 2008, 19:33   #153
BHPian

didnt see one more name anywhere - cross posting from another forum - mods please check

RDDreams :: Log in
Old 6th January 2008, 19:47   #154
Senior - BHPian

Ron's never done a turbo for anyone except himself so far. Also never used MPFI engines. But he is a tuning god.
Old 7th January 2008, 00:23   #155
BHPian

Been a long time and very very satisfied customer of parts supplied by Ron.
Truly the best that can be had for the money. Ordered various parts many times over the past few years with WIDE GRIN inducing results each time.

Extremely good customer service. Once a part didnt work well. Sent it back for a no questions asked full refund. Not even 10% of the online performance sites can match that.
His products are acclaimed in most of the international forums that I frequent and the fact that customers have the convenience of install Docs and an Online Support forum pleases me a lot.

So, if there was one guy who I'd bet my money on, it has to be Ron Chinoy. No two ways about that.
After all, all those faithful followers at his forum, and all those international forums CANNOT be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Also never used MPFI engines
General Motors India uses a Carb setup in it's racing program?

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 7th January 2008 at 00:36.
Old 7th January 2008, 00:42   #156
Senior - BHPian

i'd support scaryskulls(Rajat) on this one.ron has been perfect in everything he has done so far.he does everything with absolute perfection.and stands by it.no questions asked.
Old 7th January 2008, 00:47   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
General Motors India uses a Carb setup in it's racing program?
The thread title reads turbo, and that's what I was talking about.

When we see a street car from Ron, MPFI turbo, doing good times and running reliably across the country, he would have proved his point.

Ron's products are certainly good in their own right, though I understand very little of motorcycles or two-strokes.
Old 7th January 2008, 01:08   #158
BHPian

Fair enough Viper.
I wish he gets time from proving a point in his racing program.
Even I would like to see turbo cars from him soon that prove a point.
Should be do-able I guess, since his Carbed Turbo setup is running nicely. MPFi definately is easier.
Old 7th January 2008, 15:07   #159
BHPian

Its only a matter of time.

Also turboing a carb setup is much more difficult than a MPFI setup. Am talking in terms of tuning.

Last edited by crazydiablo : 7th January 2008 at 15:11.
Old 7th January 2008, 17:41   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fair enough Viper.
I wish he gets time from proving a point in his racing program.
Even I would like to see turbo cars from him soon that prove a point.
Should be do-able I guess, since his Carbed Turbo setup is running nicely. MPFi definately is easier.
No mate. Setting up a turbo on a carb car is much easier as there are no ECU/ECMs to deal with. An engine with a FI setup and tune is a much more technical job due to the electronics involved. Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Its only a matter of time.

Also turboing a carb setup is much more difficult than a MPFI setup. Am talking in terms of tuning.
Again as I said above I beg to differ. Also without fiddling with the electronics. Tuning a carb set up is relatively easier. Note I said easier not easy.
I have seen certain cars which have been converted to carb set up just for the tuning factor. Some of these also ran in the last Speed Run/Drag with astounding results but will not reveal their identities. Two cars I know of (not these) underwent a Turbo install (after converting to the carb setup, only for reasons of ease and a reliable set up. I guess to each his own but I think the cost factor might also be involved.
Old 7th January 2008, 19:39   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hear it's running well, but he refuses to take me for a spin or get the car to a track/strip.

Quote:
MPFi definately is easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
No it isn't.
Old 7th January 2008, 23:41   #162
BHPian

Maybe you guys know something I dont.

As for me, with a setup where there are no trick electronics to save your backside from a blown engine, you have to work that much extra hard to dial in a setup properly. Call it being at the mercy of carbs or whatever else..
A trick FMU or a rising rate FPR notwithstanding.
Controlling the AFR on a carbed setup is too much of a pain in the wrong place. No questions about that.
But with EFI and custom ECU controlling the AFR much much better and easier with the bonus of ability to run higher levels of boost.

And we will still believe that Carbed setups are easy. Hmmmmm......

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 7th January 2008 at 23:51.
Old 8th January 2008, 08:44   #163
Senior - BHPian

well scary wouldn't it be better if you gave a detailed expaination.like how we need to upjet a carb even if we install a K&N or whatever filter.

now think of the turbo.a performance filter increases that much more air intake that it needs an upjet for the carb.
now what is the sole thing that turbo does.increases the amount of air entering the cylinder.
lets get back to basics.
a turbo setup at idle and low RPM behaves as a NA system.
a turbo at moderate RPM behaves as an enhanced performance filter.or even more than that.
a turbo at full chat is mind blowing.so much pressure.7psi,8psi,15psi.whatever you guys want.
so now how do you suppose a single jet will be suffice for the whole rpm range.

on an efi system you just put the thing on the dyno.install a wideband AFR datalogger and keep doing runs and changing the values of the fuel map at different RPM.the ECU is super programmable.hell even my power commander allows fuel change at every 500rpm and every throttle position so think about the custom ECU's available.just sit with a computer for a few hours and you're done.
i know its easier said than done.but still you just have to spend hours just at the computer.

but in case of a carb setup you'll have to painstackingly change the jets every time you dyno and do net get a good run.
moreover in a carb setup you can have perfect power in only one range of the rpm.thats because the jet will be optimised for that range only.

lastly i'd like to say that-

New technology has been made to ease things for us as well as for the tuners.they may be more mindbending but are not manually tough like earlier setups.only if the mechanic or tuner is not computer literate he'll have problems.
Old 8th January 2008, 09:26   #164
BHPian

Hi

Well Navpreet,
Yeah i agree that carb setup is totally difficult.....but like the jet stuff you were talking about they have special carbs for turbo setup...i mean they have tendency to act differently at different rpms....but still in mpfi systems u have all the readings and digital calibration but this is not in any carb setup........carb is like u have to tune just by clues like different methods...... i mean u have to find what is wrong......But in mpfi you have the clue in all numbers so its easy to find the problem.......
Old 8th January 2008, 09:29   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post

on an efi system you just put the thing on the dyno.install a wideband AFR datalogger and keep doing runs and changing the values of the fuel map at different RPM.

Actually if you had an AFR datalogger and a dyno, you could tune a carb almost as well as an ECU for max power. But yeah you're right in a way; your emissions, idle and cold-start would pretty much go to hell if you were using a carb.

Don't for a moment think ECU calibration is easy: changing 100+ data points is not something I would call easy without a dyno OR an AFR device. Without either of these, its still guess work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks