Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2009, 18:58   #211
BHPian

How did I miss this thread??

I have a 99' carb model LX without power-steering which has done 96K kms. It has been a solid performer and has not let me down. However I have 3 issues 1. Engine is screaming and performance has dropped down considerably 2. I get only 10 KMPL inside bangalore (I travel only 10 kms a day and traffic is not huge) 3.No power steering.

I would like to know if power-steering can be fit now and if yes how much would it cost me. If power-steering is possible then I can look at working on engine also. I can live with the KMPL figures.

Thiyags
Old 7th January 2009, 20:14   #212
rippergeo

@skyliner34- stiffer suspension will be better for avoiding scrapes. most of them atleast. I'm glad you gave up the idea of raising the ride height.

@thiyags- did you check the clutch?

Last edited by rippergeo : 7th January 2009 at 20:16.

Old 7th January 2009, 20:21   #213
BHPian

Have anyone here worked on their Zen engines to deliver more power? I feel a severe lack of grunt with AC on. (Have a 2005 Zen Lxi). Its out of warranty period and I was thinking of doing some engine mods rather than buy a new (bigger) car or SUV.

I'm pretty satisfied with all other aspects of the car incl mileage of around 17kmpl.
Old 7th January 2009, 20:52   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiyags22 View Post
1. Engine is screaming and performance has dropped down considerably 2. I get only 10 KMPL inside bangalore (I travel only 10 kms a day and traffic is not huge) 3.No power steering.
1.I had the same problem before in my 99 zen , engine screams but the car dont move! I changed the clutch plate and everything was good to go.
2. Less FE can be because of clutch again.
3. Power steering conversion - Expensive and I guess not recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Have anyone here worked on their Zen engines to deliver more power? I feel a severe lack of grunt with AC on. (Have a 2005 Zen Lxi).
I did. Converted it to 1.3L. Super power! But mine is a 99 carb. Since yours is 2005 model, try getting FFE and CAI. You will be happy! And yeah zen is known for severe lack of grunt with AC on
Old 7th January 2009, 20:59   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post
I did. Converted it to 1.3L. Super power! But mine is a 99 carb. Since yours is 2005 model, try getting FFE and CAI.
What are these? What difference can I expect after these are added and what would be the approx cost? (too many questions!!)

One more-: Where in Bangy can I get it done?
Old 7th January 2009, 21:00   #216
Senior - BHPian

@krish3:

FFE - Free Flow Exhaust
CAI - Cold Air Intake

Check this post out for more details on the above:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/489457-post2.html

And check this post out for the list of tuners from bangy where you can get the FFE done and the CAI fitted.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/709694-post101.html

Last edited by badboyscad : 7th January 2009 at 21:09.
Old 7th January 2009, 21:02   #217
rippergeo

@adi99- could we have a thread on your 1.3 conversion? we can never have too many E Zens

@krish- FFE is Free Flow Exhaust, CAI- Cold Air Intake

Old 7th January 2009, 21:10   #218
BHPian

FFE - Free Flow Exhaust with headers. It will increase low and middle end torque (street spec). Search around forums, you will see lot of detailed description and feedbacks.

CAI - Cold Air Intake. Get a performance air filter. Improves your acceleration. Again search around for feedbacks

Cost - depends on the tuner. There is a thread on getting FFE in bangalore.
Old 8th January 2009, 01:26   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@adi99- could we have a thread on your 1.3 conversion? we can never have too many E Zens
Ripper Bhai, I would love to do that but I really don't know what to write. I am just a newbie to the world of modifications and i am slowly learning it (Thanks to Team-BHP and Race Dynamics). Actually when I bought this zen 2 years ago, I spent thousands of rupees in local garages to increase "pickup". Nothing helped. Since I stay next to RaceDynamics, I have seen many modified cars going in and out, so I decided to go there and buy HKS end can thinking it will increase power. Then when I met Sanjay there, he gave me gyan on modifications and getting this converted to 1.3L instead of spending money which did not ever help. It took almost a month and now its all done and I am very happy with the way it delivers the power (better than my swift in low and middle end). I also have street spec headers done and stiffened the suspension. But I have alignment problems since a long time, need to find someone who can help me on this. The FE is 11 kmpl in city, never tried highway drive.

When my zen was getting converted to 1.3L, Memo's SX4 Turbo project was going on. Since it was one of the first SX4 HKS turbo setup in India, I was more interested and concentrating on it. So I do not know what went into my zen but I just love it!
Old 8th January 2009, 01:53   #220
Senior - BHPian

I got my engine swap done 6 months ago, got it off one of the first gen esteems, the engines as I am told were Jap. I suddenly got an offer for a good Stock engine, and I wanted to have some fun for the last few months I had the Zen with me, hence the upgrade. Besides the car was bogged down with too much weight because of the Audio, Body kit, 14" wheels and 195 profile tyres, so the spending felt worth while.
The 1.3 Carb esteem engine sits on the same Engine bedding as the Zen, so it was almost the direct fit. I did a rebuild of the engine and then Running in. In the run in period itself I could feel the huge difference in torque, the car used to touch 100 at 3500 RPM, the peak revvs are around 7500 RPM on this engine.
The power difference is just staggering for the money spent, top end is well above 170 KMPH. Typical good build costs about 35 to 40k. I had harder suspension done even before the swap, so handling is not much of an Issue. It takes curves on highways at 150 kmph without a twitch.

Got new headers about 2 months ago, and the car moves pretty quick now, I can only imagine what it would have been if it had some 175 profile 13" wheels and no additional weight. I get about 9 to 10 in city, and I don't drive slow. Planning a port and polish job in couple of months, tuner has promised significant power rise. Now, I dont feel like selling the car. I think I will stick to the Zen for some time.

Below are some snaps of my car and engine bay, the car looks little different now, but dont have latest snaps for now.
Attached Thumbnails
The Zen Modifications Thread-020407_1535.jpg  

The Zen Modifications Thread-121106_1717.jpg  

The Zen Modifications Thread-0414_1118011.jpg  

The Zen Modifications Thread-0612_114940.jpg  

Old 8th January 2009, 02:04   #221
BHPian

Satya, your car is one of the best looking zens. I came to you once wanting similar CAI. I will come again once mine is all set
Old 8th January 2009, 07:33   #222
BHPian

Hey Satya,

Like Adi mentioned, I too think you 'The Best' looking Zen i have seen since it was launched. It so beautifully modded that i'm almost envious . I did spot it and you in it i guess near Nagvarplaya market area on Dec 21st. Street was too crowded for me to park my car and admire yours. Take good care of it mate (I know you need not be reminded ).
Old 8th January 2009, 09:01   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
I got my engine swap done 6 months ago, got it off one of the first gen esteems, the engines as I am told were Jap.
Isnt it illegal to change a car's engine from it's original?? Is there a way to legally do it??
Old 8th January 2009, 09:40   #224

hi Satya,
yours is one of the best modded zen I've seen
Old 8th January 2009, 13:19   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiyags22 View Post
Isnt it illegal to change a car's engine from it's original?? Is there a way to legally do it??
Yes, there is a way. But i am sure it will cost more than what the engine costs!! If you know what i mean!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks