Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2019, 19:38   #136
BHPian

Re: Key lost : Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
I shall keep searching for my existing key until then. Fortunately I got duplicate set of home keys with better half.
Just an update, I got back my lost keys yesterday. My bad it was inside my bike's side box

Last edited by ampere : 10th October 2019 at 07:24. Reason: compacted
OneToughRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 23:17   #137
Senior - BHPian

bump:

I lost my keys. Not just car keys, but my entire key collection, including home and office keys. Duplicate keys for all the rest of the stuff except for car is on the way. The query regarding the car keys. (The key collection was lost outside india, so no issue of theft whatsoever.)

Do I have to register a police complaint or anything for the car keys? What is the proceedure in case the car gets stolen and the insurance asks for both the set of keys? (2016 s-cross zeta with the push start, so this is the one that has the touch sensor and remains in your pocket)
I will go get a new set of keys programmed from nexa and remove the old key information from the vehicle, just wondering from the legal and paperwork aspect of it, so that I am OK from a legal and insurance perspective.
Old 7th October 2019, 02:08   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
bump:

I lost my keys. Not just car keys, but my entire key collection, including home and office keys. Duplicate keys for all the rest of the stuff except for car is on the way. The query regarding the car keys. (The key collection was lost outside india, so no issue of theft whatsoever.)

Do I have to register a police complaint or anything for the car keys? What is the proceedure in case the car gets stolen and the insurance asks for both the set of keys? (2016 s-cross zeta with the push start, so this is the one that has the touch sensor and remains in your pocket)
I will go get a new set of keys programmed from nexa and remove the old key information from the vehicle, just wondering from the legal and paperwork aspect of it, so that I am OK from a legal and insurance perspective.
Sorry to hear about your keys. I am told that in the unfortunate case of theft, you have to provide both sets of keys or insurance payout can be void due to negligence. I lost a set of keys recently and made a few calls to find out how to go about it. My insurance covers key replacement. FIR is required to change code and get new keys. Online FIR is sufficient.

Ahh I see your point - in your case where you only need a new key and don't require any coding change etc. I think most likely they would reprogram the new key along with your existing key, otherwise it's a glaring security loophole.
promit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 16:45   #139
BHPian

Quote:
bump:

As rightly told by promit, you have to lodge an FIR and keep a copy of the same with you for future reference. In case of loss of key, the insurance company insists on FIR copy for loss of key. In case of any unfurtunate future incident of theft, the insurance company will ask for both set of keys of the vehicle before settlement of claim. So it will be prudent to lodge an FIR to avoid any future complications. I too had lost my vehicle key and the insurance advisor told me to lodge an FIR and keep a copy for future reference.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th October 2019 at 16:50. Reason: Quote content trimmed. Typo corrected.
Old 9th October 2019, 17:11   #140
Senior - BHPian

I didn't loose my key but my wife accidently washed my car key with my clothes

The car in question is a chevy cruze and I am now using the spare key which has a lower range compared to the key that was washed. What are my options?

Pramod
Old 9th October 2019, 19:38   #141
Senior - BHPian

How to file for an FIR? Under which police station should I file it? I remember having the key with me till Singapore, after which I do not recollect, where I lost it.
Old 10th October 2019, 07:19   #142
BHPian

Quote:
How to file for an FIR? Under which police station should I file it? I remember having the key with me till Singapore, after which I do not recollect, where I lost it.
This situation is dicey. One way to avoid all the questions would be to just lodge an fir with the police station under whose jurisdiction you reside. But in the fir you will have to mention that you lost your keya near your home. This is the easy way out but I think this is not correct since technically you will be lying in your fir. But if you are upto it, then it will serve your purpose.
Old 13th October 2019, 08:08   #143
Senior - BHPian

Misplacing Keys could actually be my middle name. There have been countless times when I have either forgotten my keys somewhere or have absentmindedly lost them. So, when I purchased a new two wheeler two days ago, the first non-fuel stop was at the local keymaker's shop.

Three isn't a crowd; not for me .
Attached Thumbnails
Key lost : Now what?-img_20191011_2211192700x1987.jpg  

dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 18:21   #144
Senior - BHPian

Why has car key insurance become important?

With advancements in technology, several high-end cars are coming up with remote key lock system or a keyless Frequency Operated Button (FOB). FOB is a keyless remote system based on a new technology which completely controls the car's lock and unlock functionality through a keyless remote. You do not require a key to start the car, the vehicle starts with a push-button instead. Such advanced technology is the reason why high-end car keys are expensive.

You should be aware that most car policies do not cover loss of keys. In order to insure the keys, one has to buy an add-on rider wherever offered. Generally, the cost of this rider varies between Rs 100 and Rs 300 depending on the car model/variant.

In case of theft or loss of computer-coded or encrypted keys, one needs to get the replacement done by an authorised OEM service center which may cost you Rs 4,000-10,000 or even more depending on the car, make, brand and model of the car. "But, the 'key and lock replacement insurance cover' will only cost you around an additional premium of Rs 100-300 in your motor insurance policy. The cost of add-on premium varies depending on the car make variant.

What if you lose one of your high-end car keys and because of high replacement cost do not get the lockset replaced from the authorised OEM service center or general car repair workshop to get back two new car keys? In such a scenario if your car gets stolen, you can be in big trouble as the insurer may ask you to show the two car keys before processing the claim. If you do not do so, your claim can get rejected.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 22:53   #145
BHPian

Hi all, I have a preowned Zen Estilo LX 2008. From the dealer I'd got only one key which was received bent but is working. I recently paid 1800 rupees to get a duplicate key made from a local mechanic.

I've now been told by someone that I grossly overpaid and it shouldn't have cost more than 350-400 rupees. Is that right? I'll approach the mechanic if so.

It's a non remote lock normal key (however it has a sensor of some sort for the immobiliser ie a yellow padlock icon comes on the instrument cluster when the key is put into it). Location is Kolkata.
Old 17th November 2019, 05:06   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
...I recently paid 1800 rupees to get a duplicate key made from a local mechanic... I've now been told by someone that I grossly overpaid and it shouldn't have cost more than 350-400 rupees. Is that right?
If the key is indeed an immobiliser based one, then ₹1,800/- you paid to the mechanic is just about right. That's the going rate in the market for such keys. I too was quoted the same a while ago.

That said, you could have got two fresh keys and retained the old one too for a little more money, as I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
A set of two pre cut keys costs ₹1,258/- inclusive of all taxes. The coding charge (labour) was ₹850/- plus taxes. So, for ₹2,261, I got hold of a set of oven fresh keys. Thank you Maruti!
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 18:57   #147
Senior - BHPian

I have a strange situation. I have both the keys but one of the keys has stopped fitting properly into the keyhole of my car since today morning. I checked and my Insurance covers Key replacement.

Should I just report it as loss of key and go ahead with key replacement?

Or

Does it make sense to get it made via a local Key Maker since the transponder etc and buttons are working fine. Its just the Key (metal blade) does not go into the key hole anymore - maybe something got chipped off when it fell I am guessing.
Old 27th January 2020, 19:54   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Does it make sense to get it made via a local Key Maker since the transponder etc and buttons are working fine. Its just the Key (metal blade) does not go into the key hole anymore - maybe something got chipped off when it fell I am guessing.
I would say don't report loss of key, get hold of good local key maker maybe check the teambhp directory and if possible get the blade replaced from your key or you can even place order for the fob online and transfer all the insides to the new fob and get the blade carved at any local key maker.

Last edited by revvharder : 27th January 2020 at 19:55.
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 17:35   #149
BHPian

Gents,

I need help to understand the key replacement process.

I own XUV5OO W10 (Keyless entry / start / stop). One of the keys has stopped working and I am not in the home dealer network.

When I reached to M&M service centre in Katni, they refused to handle it and asked me to visit Jabalpur service centre. Jabalpur service centre asked me to get invoice and RC.

I requested Pune dealer to provide me with the duplicate invoice. But Jabalpur guys then demanded KEY TECK number. As per them, it is required for ordering another key.

So after a struggle of 2 days and making numerous calls to sales/service, I managed to get KEY TECK. It's a 5 digit code. Today again Jabalpur guys called me and asked me to provide the original key.

The biggest disappointment is that they did not explain to me the correct process when I was there and now they keep demanding new things. The service centre is 150 KMs far from my place. Obviously I can't make so many to and fros to meet their demand. Once key arrives, I will need to be there again for learning (mapping).

Can anyone help me with the correct procedure for ordering new key?
Old 9th November 2020, 10:37   #150
BHPian

BMW 630 GT Display key lost in Chennai

LOST while driving down the Kotturpuram road
between Kotturpuran bridge and Raj Bhavan, Sunday November 8 around 4.30 pm.
Our BMW 630 GT Display remote key left on the roof of the car by mistake, tumbled off, and though we made many passes in the area on foot and by car we couldn't find it.

Please spread the word in Chennai and ping me if it's discovered.
Attached Thumbnails
Key lost : Now what?-images.jpeg  

netchef is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks