Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2016, 20:35   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Key lost : Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Online VW troubleshooting documentation indicates this can be done through VCDS, but you'll need to know your immobilizer's PIN. Your dealer can also do it but will probably refuse unless you buy the key from them too.

Here's one link with detailed instructions, includes an embedded YouTube video. You'll need someone well-versed with using VCDS to do this.
And obviously they aren't willing to do it if i don't get the key from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
My sister's driver lost the key to her Polo. So the VW guys replaced the ignition key assembly and gave her 2 new keys. (Manual). Charged her 8k.

Next day the driver found it on top of his water tank.
That is some annoying way to smoke 8k for sure
8k seems to be a realistic price atleast instead of what VW had quoted me earlier for my jetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Look up key masters in Team Bhp directory and ask them if they can make a duplicate key etc. They managed to make my Civic's key in 30 mins flat with remote for around 3k.
Thanks! Got one which is hardly 10 minutes away from my place, Will give them a call next week and see how it goes, I hope they can do it for a Jetta.
Old 11th July 2016, 17:28   #107
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need some urgent help.
I lost my main key for Honda Jazz (the one with the remote).
I am using the duplicate one without the remote and it is an absolute pain.

I checked with Honda service center.
They quoted 8K for a new key with remote. Also, they will need 10-15 days time.
They also mentioned that the new key along with my current duplicate key will be reprogrammed so that the old one (the one I lost) can never be used to start the car.
I find 8K to be very very expensive for such a small thing.

I checked with some local key-makers. They are quoting around 4K for the same.
But they are not sure about whether the old key (lost one) will continue to work or not.
They just said that the new one will be programmed as per my current duplicate key so that everything works fine.
It seems that in some cars, if 2 keys are programmed, the 3rd one will not work.
So, the old one which I lost will not work if this is true but I am not sure.

Now, if Honda is really offering better security, then it probably makes sense to spend the extra 4K for peace of mind. What do you guys suggest?

Last edited by adimicra : 11th July 2016 at 17:29.
Old 11th July 2016, 18:45   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Bottom-line, please spend the extra money at HASS and get it done right. This is not a paint job or tinkering we're talking about, its the security of your car.

Also, are you changing the actual door/ignition locks? The key programming is limited to the immobilizer that will prevent the car being started/stolen, but what about someone being able to physically enter the car using the lost key? Does the HASS estimate of 8k cover that also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
But they are not sure about whether the old key (lost one) will continue to work or not. They just said that the new one will be programmed as per my current duplicate key so that everything works fine. It seems that in some cars, if 2 keys are programmed, the 3rd one will not work. So, the old one which I lost will not work if this is true but I am not sure.
Cars typically allow more than just 2 keys to be programmed. For example, the EcoSport supports up to 8 keys, according to Ford.

So, unless your owner's manual explicitly states that only 2 keys can be programmed, I'd not believe what the outside key makers told you. FWIW, I couldn't locate the owner's manual for your 2010 Jazz, but here's the section in the owner's manual about remotes and keys for the 2016 Jazz.

Quote:
I am just trying to understand if Honda is doing anything additional than what the guys outside do. In this thread, lot of people suggested to get it done outside and it seems that once the new keys are programmed, the old keys wont be valid. So, I thought better to do some investigation to find out more and make an informed discussion
The programming procedure is generally straightforward, as quoted below in the case of Ford. So, in that respect its not that HASS would offer any significant value-add.

Also, the Ford manuals state that once a new key fob is programmed, all other key fobs are automatically invalidated. Now, given that these central locking systems are usually made by the same suppliers (e.g. Continental), I would assume they work similarly for Honda, even if Honda doesn't use Continental.

However, its purely because its a security thing that I'm erring towards getting Honda to do it. Alternatively, you can check for an FNG that specializes in Honda cars - I'm sure all those Accords/Civics would be going to FNGs also.

While your car doesn't use Autocop, maybe you could ask these guys for a recommendation for a reliable FNG: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...hyderabad.html

As mentioned above, the procedure to program a new key fob is really quite simple.
Quote:
How to program a new remote key fob for Ford
  • After you have your new key fob, get in the vehicle with the fob and the actual key, and close the doors.
  • Turn the key into an “on” position and press the lock button on the new key fob, then turn the key back into the “off” position
  • Repeat that three more times so you turn the key to “on” and “off: a total of four times. After you’ve turned the key to “off” for the fourth time, turn it back to “on”
  • You should hear the locks sound, which means you are then in programming mode. After you hear the locks, press the “lock” button on your remote again within 5 seconds. The locks will cycle on and off one more time to tell you that the vehicle is programmed.
  • If you press “lock” again on any other remote within 10 seconds of entering programming mode, those fobs will program as well.
  • When you are finished, turn the ignition to “off” to end the programming.
Source: http://www.akinsford.com/blog/how-to...-fob-for-ford/

Last edited by arunphilip : 11th July 2016 at 19:09. Reason: Added reply to follow-up post
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 18:52   #109
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot.
The quote of 8K from Honda is just for one remote key which I think is very very high.
I think if I ask about changing the locks, it will go up to 20K or so. But I will ask anyways.

I am just trying to understand if Honda is doing anything additional than what the guys outside do. In this thread, lot of people suggested to get it done outside and it seems that once the new keys are programmed, the old keys wont be valid. So, I thought better to do some investigation to find out more and make an informed discussion
Old 11th July 2016, 20:24   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot.
The quote of 8K from Honda is just for one remote key which I think is very very high.
I think if I ask about changing the locks, it will go up to 20K or so. But I will ask anyways.

Does your insurance cover key replacement? If yes, you can claim insurance.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 21:45   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot.
I never knew this thread existed!

A valet driver had lost my Figo's remote key in Mar this year. I didn't trust that guy, so I got the entire set replaced - lock at the door, lock in the bonnet and lock at ignition. It costed me about Rs 7K, but I found it better to spend money on this for my peace of mind!
shifu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 22:54   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Does your insurance cover key replacement? If yes, you can claim insurance.
Unfortunately not

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I never knew this thread existed!

A valet driver had lost my Figo's remote key in Mar this year. I didn't trust that guy, so I got the entire set replaced - lock at the door, lock in the bonnet and lock at ignition. It costed me about Rs 7K, but I found it better to spend money on this for my peace of mind!
There's a thread in TBHP for everything we can think of and beyond
7K is very reasonable considering you changed the entire key set.
Honda is charging 8K for just one remote key. This is daylight robbery.
Even VW charges only 8K for the entire set I believe.
Old 15th July 2016, 13:14   #113
BHPian

I am posting this on behalf of a friend. My friend bought a Hyundai I20 from Advaith hyundai in Bannergatta road. At the time of delivery only 2 keys were given. One with remote and one without remote. Now he is in need of one more key. Where would be a good place to source a duplicate key with and without remote in Bangalore. Hyundai is charging a bomb for this.
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:41   #114
BHPian

I've query here. What happens in case of an insurance claim for theft if you don't have all the keys provided by the manufacturer? Will the claim be denied?

Additionally, say my car had a central locking and got an AutoCop system installed over it for keyless entry.

In this case do I need to have both the spare key and spare AutoCop remote to have a valid insurance claim?
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:38   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
...if you don't have all the keys provided by the manufacturer? Will the claim be denied?
I don't think so. Given the fact that, any good key maker, those computerized key cutting shops can provide you with new keys with the manufacturer's logo and name on the bow. Just like the original one.

It is a different story for key fobs, but regular keys can be easily made. The 'newly made key' might not help you start the car, but would be enough to clear the insurance checklist.

And Insurance companies knowing this, shouldn't be insisting on all keys for a claim. It does not serve any purpose. Just my POV.
Spinnerr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 19:17   #116

I've managed to go and lose one of the two keys to my 2014 Thar. This is a non-remote immobilizer key. Have tried calling the helpline twice for advice on what to do, but over 3 weeks have passed since the complaint was logged and even after one follow-up call, no one from Mahindra has responded yet.

Anyone know the procedure for getting a second key? Or will I have to get the immobilizer unit replaced? Also, will I need to file an FIR to get the unit replaced? Please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 11th April 2017, 20:33   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc.wanderer View Post
I've managed to go and lose one of the two keys to my 2014 Thar. This is a non-remote immobilizer key.
Rather than calling the helpline, you should visit your MASS/Dealer with the key number (engraved on a small metal plate that originally came with the keys at the time of the purchase and most likely noted in your service booklet/owner's manual too) and they will arrange a new one.

Generally, an FIR is not required. But in case your insurance has the lost key replacement option and you are using it, they may insist on one.

You need not replace the immobiliser unit. The new key will be programmed to work with it.

The lost key - if found - cannot then be used to start the vehicle. However, it will certainly unlock the doors .
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 10:36   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Honda is charging 8K for just one remote key. This is daylight robbery.
Even VW charges only 8K for the entire set I believe.
I had just lost my GT TSI's remote, and VW is charging me 13.5k just for the remote. And it will take a month to come. I am now using the remoteless additional key that came with the car.
Old 10th August 2017, 21:11   #119
blr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
I had just lost my GT TSI's remote, and VW is charging me 13.5k just for the remote. And it will take a month to come. I am now using the remoteless additional key that came with the car.
You would have got your key by now, so this may not be of any help to you; hope this would help someone in a similar situation. I checked with a local locksmith and he is quoting 6.25k for a remote key fob with key-cutting and programming included. I am sure the price will drop with a little bit of bargaining.

BTW, I was trying to do a DIY job to add a second remote key (bought on AliExpress) to the TSi and went to him to check the cost of cutting the blank. He is quoting Rs. 500 which I feel is a bit too steep, but it is only walking distance to his shop; going elsewhere would turn out to be costlier overall. So far I have gotten the remote part programmed using VCDS. Waiting for the OBD PIN grabber ordered from AliExpress to arrive to see if it would actually get me the PIN. If that works, then will get the key cut and hope the immo can be programmed using VCDS.
Old 30th January 2018, 21:09   #120
BHPian

The key shell (plastic housing) of my 2012 Wagon R Vxi variant is broken. Is there a way I can get it replaced?

Does Maruti Suzuki have the shell as a part in their catalog?

Any suggestion on how to go about replacing the shell from MASS?

Last edited by GTO : 30th January 2018 at 23:39. Reason: typo
rajakumar is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks