Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2018, 22:29   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Key lost : Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
The key shell (plastic housing) of my 2012 Wagon R Vxi variant is broken. Is there a way I can get it replaced?

Does Maruti Suzuki have the shell as a part in their catalog?

Any suggestion on how to go about replacing the shell from MASS?
Replacement shell are easily available in Amazon & eBay.
https://www.amazon.in/Keyzone-aftermarket-replacement-button-remote/dp/B00XVMR3MW?tag=googinhydr18418-21&tag=googinkenshoo-21&ascsubtag=ad9a6663-a158-438e-97d0-f0d11271c7c9

To check for genuine part from MASS, post it here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...st-pg-1-a.html
Old 16th April 2018, 11:13   #122
BHPian

Managed to lose my Maruti Celerio key , the one which has remote yesterday. The second one which is without the remote is with me. Anyone tried procuring this remote key from Maruti and can give me an idea about time and money involved?

Also, has anyone tried flipkeys.in? Can they be trusted for the remote key with remote? Most importantly, how would they ensure electronic part of the (immobliser etc.) with just the picture of the key?
Old 16th April 2018, 11:48   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
Managed to lose my Maruti Celerio key , the one which has remote yesterday. The second one which is without the remote is with me. Anyone tried procuring this remote key from Maruti and can give me an idea about time and money involved?
This will involve change of the lock set; they'll change all the locks/keys and issue a new set + code the Immobilizer.

Check your Insurance policy if it covers key replacement.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 12:10   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
This will involve change of the lock set; they'll change all the locks/keys and issue a new set + code the Immobilizer.

Check your Insurance policy if it covers key replacement.
Thanks. Just spoke to MASS and they are quoting a price of ~3500 to ~4000 for set of two keys (both with remote). It will take an affidavit from me to be sent over to Maruti for issuance and configuration of new key set. Don't think they are asking to replace the locks etc. or else cost would have been significantly high. I think it's left on the user discretion to replace the locks or not.

Coming to insurance, well my car went into new insurance year on 10th of this month. Till last insurance year (which was valid till 9th April 2018) I had all these add-ons. Decided to go with plain vanilla comprehensive insurance starting this year as in last 18 years of owning 3 different cars never once used anything from any insurance at all
New.Novice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 16:13   #125
Senior - BHPian

GETTING REPLACEMENT KEYS FROM MARUTI - FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE

My 2010 Zen Estilo Lxi came with two non remote keys. I had installed a basic remote locking mechanism a year after purchase. One of the original keys had got accidentally bent but could still be used. I have a habit of using alternative keys and remotes every week to ensure equal wear and optimum utilization. During the summer vacations, while babysitting my niece, I misplaced/lost the bent key (fortunately) and this necessitated a replacement.

On enquiry with a trusted key maker, I was told that a single key along with programming would cost me ₹1,800/- and the job could be done in half an hour. He also gave me the option of converting it into a flippy key at ₹3,000/-.

The folks at the local Maruti dealer were unaware of the actual cost but quoted an approximate figure of ₹3,000/- for a set of two keys and ₹850 for programming them. They wanted a month's time for the keys to reach them from New Delhi.

Although the first option seemed reasonable mainly because I could lay my hands on the key instantly, I preferred to go with the dealer for fear of mishandling / tampering of the codes by the key maker.

On the 21st of May 2018, I paid an advance of ₹1,000/- and ordered a set of non remote keys. One month and four days later, I was informed that the keys have arrived and I could drop in early in the morning so that the two new keys and the remaining old key could be matched with the car.

I fixed an appointment and went to the showroom at 10 AM today. A laptop was connected to the OBD port and a special pen drive containing the software for key matching was also inserted. After logging in, a code appeared on the screen which was noted down by the technician and forwarded to the works manager who in turn sent it to the TSM who then forwarded the same to Maruti.

Apparently, Maruti sends a password using which the old matching codes are deleted and new ones generated and embedded. It is actually a two minute job but with the concerned people not being available at the right place at the time time, I had to wait for over an hour. When I didn't see any signs of the password arriving, I called the TSM and requested him to speed up the process. (My car had been idle for a week and I was worried that a prolonged use of the OBD port on battery power would harm it.)

Once the code was received, all the three keys were inserted and necessary changes made. The lost key, if found, wouldn't be able to start the car as the ECM would fail to recognize it. I now have three working keys with me.

With graying hairs and blunting gray matter, the more the merrier .

A set of two pre cut keys costs ₹1,258/- inclusive of all taxes. The coding charge (labour) was ₹850/- plus taxes. So, for ₹2,261, I got hold of a set of oven fresh keys. Thank you Maruti!

______________________xxx_____________________

The matter should have ended here but for the fact that although my aftermarket remotes were programmed to lock all five doors of the car, the boot door could still be opened with a key and the alarm wouldn't sound because the installer had refused to install door switches for the boot as that would have meant drilling the metal parts. He wasn't confident that the holes would not let water seep into the metal and cause rust.

With a key lost, I had to account for the danger of it being used to gain entry into the car without setting off the alarm. The installer refused to drill the metal part even now and we had to come with a novel solution. After deliberating for a while, we decided to install a solitary door switch in the plastic trim of the boot in such a way that the door latch would press the switch when the boot is closed. Connected sequentially to the other door switches and consequently to the central locking mechanism plus the reading lamp, this arrangement helps in detecting any unlocking of the boot using a key by triggering the alarm (when it is locked using the remote).

Some peace of mind at last!.
dailydriver is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 15:02   #126

HELP!

I need duplicate keys for my 2012 Verna in Delhi. How can I get that?
Old 1st August 2018, 15:43   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaut1981 View Post
HELP!

I need duplicate keys for my 2012 Verna in Delhi. How can I get that?
Did you speak to your dealer first to find out the standard process and the time it takes? Assuming that you have at least one key of the car with you I would suggest that you go the regular and legitimate way to procure one. In fact, if you have lost the other key I will suggest that you get the Security System reprogrammed and get new keys through Hyundai.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 16:49   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
GETTING REPLACEMENT KEYS FROM MARUTI - FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE
Hey dailydriver,

Would you mind sharing the details of MASS from where you got your keys replaced as I too have a 2009 Wagon R VXi model which has just got the key with the transponder built-in. I am also planning to get replacement keys for my vehicle with remote locking.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st August 2018 at 17:13. Reason: Quote fixed.
AutoAficionado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 19:12   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoAficionado View Post
Would you mind sharing the details of MASS from where you got your keys replaced...
I got the keys from the nearest Maruti dealer. I did enquire whether the process could be carried out at a MASS too. The technician told me that since the keys need coding and the password procurement needs to be coordinated among the Service Manager, Territory Service Manager and Maruti HQ, it might be a little difficult (but not impossible).

You can visit the service centres of any of the Maruti dealers in Bengaluru and place an order. Just carry the photocopy of your RC and DL for verification. A copy of the page on your Service Booklet that has the four digit key number written on it too would be helpful.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 19:28   #130
BHPian

Quote:
I got the keys from the nearest Maruti dealer. I did enquire whether the process could be carried out at a MASS too.
Thanks for the info.. Will get in touch with my SA for the same.

Quote:
The technician told me that since the keys need coding and the password procurement
Can't this be done with local key maker?

Quote:
You can visit the service centres of any of the Maruti dealers in Bengaluru and place an order. Just carry the photocopy of your RC and DL for verification.
Again, Thanks for the info... buddy
AutoAficionado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 19:50   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoAficionado View Post
Can't this be done with local key maker?
Yes.

And very easily too.

He will have his own short cut to hack into the car's ECU as did the one I enquired with. But that would entail its own share of ifs, buts and risks and hence going with the dealer would be better.
Old 1st October 2018, 21:00   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskthere View Post
I received this Smart key finder as a gift
Ever since i lost my car key (ref post #125 above), I have been looking at ways to minimize such instances and if possible eliminate them. I did see the bluetooth key finder in the accessory section retailing at a thousand bucks but couldn't decide whether it was worth the money. Please share your experience here.

The smart key finder is a small disk that connects to a smartphone app via bluetooth. It is unique in that it can work as a key finder and a phone finder too.

Key lost : Now what?-img_20181001_205055619x1110.jpg

Name:  Screenshot_20181001205009823_com.brave.browser619x718.png
Views: 6097
Size:  281.5 KB

Picture courtesy: Bhpian kskthere
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 00:30   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Please share your experience here.

[/b]
Forget about finding the misplaced/lost key with Smartkeyfinder attached to the key, it is very finicky to connect to the device in the first place using the app installed on smartphone . But, once connected, we can find it even if the device is in cupboards, below bundle of clothes, or below pillows or mattress. Can't search from one room to another, walls do impede the signals. It can cover a max distance up to 15 meters.
The other cons are:
- alarm sound on the device is very low, so the room has to be silent to find it.
- battery drain is very rapid. 3v battery is used (connected 3 times, already drained 30%)

Some pics:
Need to press the circled button to connect.
Key lost : Now what?-whatsapp-image-20181001-11.38.28-pm.jpeg

Key lost : Now what?-whatsapp-image-20181001-11.05.10-pm-1.jpeg

Key lost : Now what?-whatsapp-image-20181001-11.05.10-pm-2.jpeg

Key lost : Now what?-whatsapp-image-20181001-11.05.10-pm.jpeg
kskthere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 23:21   #134
BHPian

Would like to share an incident that I am still wrapping my head around , as it happened yesterday.

My jetta key had got spoilt when it fell in water and was lying in it for a while. I had been using the spare key since last year.

Then I met with an accident a couple of months back and took the car to the dealer for repair. I had given a written instruction not to update the software in the car. The SA assured me that this would be adhered to.

Among the repairs was a front bumper and under carriage plastic protector change as well as a headlamp and intercooler replacement.

When the car was ready I went with the dealer for a test drive and immediately felt the restricted acceleration as well as loss of ac cooling effectiveness. (the fuel economy also dropped as I was to discover on the next few months).

Expressed my disappointment to the SA but was assured that the software update was not done. He even showed me online that my chassis number had the update shown as not done.

Anyway took the car back and had been using it for the past couple of months. The feeling didn't leave me that the performance was strained, the fuel economy had dropped and the ac cooling was less that before I gave the car for repairs

The dealer had quoted 15k for a new key and told me the non working key was irreparable.

Fast forward to last week when I came across a key maker and asked him if he could repair the key. He said he could and quoted Rs1200.

Gave him the key in the morning and after some initial checks on the car he told me he would need the car at his shop for about an hour in the evening.

In the evening he initially tried loading the data from his device to the key. That didn't work.

Then he connected a diagnostics to the car accessed the engine control unit and copied the relevant info onto the non working key. Well the key is working now and it was worth the Rs 1200.

As a bonus I noticed that the auto door lock function which was active before I gave the car for repair to the dealer, and was inactive post the repair, again became active.

But the best part is the car came back to its earlier unrestricted performance. The open acceleration accompanied with earlier levels of fuel economy on the same stretch of roads. Added to that the ac performance went to its earlier level of effectiveness in this peak summer season, wow!! .

The feeling is euphoric, and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed on these observations. Early days yet but will know for sure in a months time.
hubolt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 01:15   #135
BHPian

Folks help

Just an hour back I lost keys of my Tiago diesel (along with home keys also). It is 2016 model. I had this remote controlled central lock specific key and the other one isn't with me. What options do I have now?

1. Tow this car to TASS and get everything installed as new? I don't wish to spend 15-20k on this activity.

2. Find some car hacker to jail break and get some clone of duplicate key just like thieves do. Or else any possible leads in Pune who are into duplicate key making business?

I shall keep searching for my existing key until then. Fortunately I got duplicate set of home keys with better half.

Most Viewed