Old 20th March 2010, 10:19   #136
BHPian

all the best bud!
keep us posted!
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:51   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
looks like a good DIY startup. waiting for updates!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild4lyfe View Post
all the best bud!
keep us posted!
Thanks. Another update. Finished really cleaning the ports. Gives a clear view of the kind of casting flash and crap that's present in every head. The ports are still wet which make them look dark in the pictures. First step will be bringing the ports to a consistent 80-grit sanded finish while removing the least amount of material. That should give me a good base to move further ahead and clean the flow paths.

Intake Port:

My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-img_62502.jpg

Exhaust Port:

My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-img_62462.jpg
Old 8th April 2010, 21:34   #138
Senior - BHPian

So. Finally managed to find some time and do a bit of work on the head. A couple of pics of the first steps and a vid.

My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-img_6286_2.jpg

My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-img_6290_2.jpg

Old 7th May 2010, 10:19   #139
Senior - BHPian

Look what the DHL guy brought me today

My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-img00045201005071003.jpg

My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-img00046201005071004.jpg

My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-img00048201005071005.jpg

YCP Vitara pistons, stock bore (75mm) and Hastings piston rings.Not going in anytime soon though, probably a few months from now. Next up, FJ spec custom rods. Big thanks to Francisco of FJ Distributors for the good service.
Old 7th May 2010, 10:27   #140
BHPian

Awesome Pranave, best of luck
Any specific reason for getting the Vitara pistons ? Pardon me but I am not well versed with Honda/Suzuki stuff as such.
Old 7th May 2010, 10:29   #141
Senior - BHPian

Thank you. Coupled with FJ spec custom rods, lowers the static CR to a nice and comfortable ~8.5:1

Known to hold 400 whp reliably.
Old 7th May 2010, 11:39   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Thank you. Coupled with FJ spec custom rods, lowers the static CR to a nice and comfortable ~8.5:1

Known to hold 400 whp reliably.
wow that's nice stuff but tell me one thing, why are you going for so low c.r on an I.T.B setup? or you plan to go turbo route?
Old 7th May 2010, 11:51   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
wow that's nice stuff but tell me one thing, why are you going for so low c.r on an I.T.B setup? or you plan to go turbo route?
He better be going FI with such comp ratio. Reducing compression ratio on a NA engine will somewhat negate the mods done to the engine.

Prob why he is in no hurry to put them in.

Shan2nu
Old 7th May 2010, 11:57   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
This year will be spent pushing the current parts to their limits. When the engine is overhauled, it will be time to go FI. The ITBs will stay with the turbo, so the intake will be a custom one-off affair.

Wanted to ask you one thing. What IATs do you see at the TB or intake runners? The kind of components used for the intake and the throttle bodies will have to be decided based on that.
Old 7th May 2010, 12:03   #145
BANNED

Hi Pranav,

Between 80 - 95 *C on a very hot car after a hard drive.

Viper
Old 7th May 2010, 15:28   #146
Team-BHP Support

Very cool stuff pranavt!

Its quite rare to see a completely hands-on and step by step build. (Not to mention safety glasses ).

Hope to see the car in person sometime soon.
cya
R

PS - Can you please put up some pics of the intake and exhaust ports after you cleaned and polished them?

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th May 2010 at 15:32.
Old 7th May 2010, 17:11   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Wanted to ask you one thing. What IATs do you see at the TB or intake runners? The kind of components used for the intake and the throttle bodies will have to be decided based on that.
Usually between 50-55 *C when in motion, in night it comes down to 40-45 *C ,in bumper to bumper traffic it goes up to 60-62 *C.

Mostly material used for Manifold & T.B is an high grade Aluminum.

Some aftermarket manufacturer like Skunk2, makes Composite intake manifold made of carbon reinforced, aerospace grade, thermo-polymer composite. Result is lighter,stronger & much more cooler intake.
Something like this
My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-imcomp.jpg

Mostly all new cars nowadays if you see the manifold are made of high grade plastic. it really helps in keeping IAT down.

here is a typical example of plastic intake manifold of an O.E.M.
My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-0405htp_ls2_13_z.jpg

If you are planning to make manifold of Aluminum which i think you would, its better to buy an gasket made of plastic, its called Intake Manifold Gasket made of high grade silicon plastic, it acts as a thermal barrier between your Cyl Head & manifold & doesn't allow the heat to some extend to transfer to manifold there by keeping I.A.T temps down.
Old 7th May 2010, 18:15   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Usually between 50-55 *C when in motion, in night it comes down to 40-45 *C ,in bumper to bumper traffic it goes up to 60-62 *C.

Mostly material used for Manifold & T.B is an high grade Aluminum.

Some aftermarket manufacturer like Skunk2, makes Composite intake manifold made of carbon reinforced, aerospace grade, thermo-polymer composite. Result is lighter,stronger & much more cooler intake.
Something like this
Attachment 344476

Mostly all new cars nowadays if you see the manifold are made of high grade plastic. it really helps in keeping IAT down.

here is a typical example of plastic intake manifold of an O.E.M.
Attachment 344474

If you are planning to make manifold of Aluminum which i think you would, its better to buy an gasket made of plastic, its called Intake Manifold Gasket made of high grade silicon plastic, it acts as a thermal barrier between your Cyl Head & manifold & doesn't allow the heat to some extend to transfer to manifold there by keeping I.A.T temps down.

Is the Hondata Intake Gasket one of those types? I haven't taken a proper look myself yet.

As for the materials, aluminium is the safest bet, but will see what materials I have available. Have a few friends with CNC wirecut and milling equipment, so they might be able to offer some good insight on this as well. Don't like plastic so much. Making a custom set will ensue making a cast, and further, no way to machine it.

@Rehaan: Thanks, appreciate it . Will put up latest pics of the head after I've got it milled/shaved, just a few more days.

@Viper: Thanks.
Old 7th May 2010, 22:18   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Is the Hondata Intake Gasket one of those types? I haven't taken a proper look myself yet.
Yeah, That's what i am talking about, its there in my setup should be available for D series as well.
Old 9th May 2010, 14:19   #150
Senior - BHPian

The combustion chamber pics. Intake and exhaust port pictures in a few days. Sending off the head for resurfacing and shaving. Don't bother with porting and polishing the head yourself if you have OCD

Grits used for the combustion chamber: 320, 800 and 1000. Have a perfect mirror finish now. Not that it's necessary, but I seem to have OCD

My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-img_6312.jpg

My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-img_6314.jpg

My OHC VTEC - Lowered, Stiffened, FFE'd and Now with ITBs!!-img_6322.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks