Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2009, 18:55   #1636
Team-BHP Support

Hey glad to know that many people are liking Mobil Delvac MX! Do post up your experiences after you guys cover 1000+ kms.

As for me am loving it! Super smooth, great response and better mileage he he
Old 24th June 2009, 20:46   #1637
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Dont believe service guys...
Old 28th June 2009, 20:04   #1638
BHPian

Posting it on behalf of my friend. He owns a Diesel Bullet and wants to switch to fully synthetic. Can he use the Mobil 1 5W50 API-SM in that?
Old 28th June 2009, 23:36   #1639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Posting it on behalf of my friend. He owns a Diesel Bullet and wants to switch to fully synthetic. Can he use the Mobil 1 5W50 API-SM in that?
I think fully synthetic would be overkill in the diesel bull. However, if he is really keen on it, Delvac would be a better option.
Old 28th June 2009, 23:39   #1640
BHPian

I alwayes used Hyundai provided oil in my wife's santro. But at 30000 service I have put Mobil Delvac MX as I bought one 20 Lt drum to use it for mix fleet of my family cars, dzire diesel, bolero, UNO, Octavia.
The santro has become super smooth and super silent and pulling real nice. After 2000 Km of city driving I just opened the Oil filler and from there the engine is looking real clean.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:02   #1641
BHPian

sinhsha - Could you please mention the oil grade and is it santro diesel?

Last edited by Red Circle : 29th June 2009 at 11:13.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:34   #1642
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhsha View Post
I alwayes used Hyundai provided oil in my wife's santro. But at 30000 service I have put Mobil Delvac MX as I bought one 20 Lt drum to use it for mix fleet of my family cars, dzire diesel, bolero, UNO, Octavia.
Are you sure this is the right grade for the Santro? This is a diesel engine oil and you should not use it in the Santro which has a petrol engine.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:47   #1643
BANNED

@gpa: Most high end diesel oils have more than adequate petrol ratings as well. Some people even say that Diesel oils have far outstripped petrol oils, and should be chosen. Essentially, an oil for diesels has more detergent, and also other minor variations in the additives.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:56   #1644
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@gpa: Most high end diesel oils have more than adequate petrol ratings as well. Some people even say that Diesel oils have far outstripped petrol oils, and should be chosen. Essentially, an oil for diesels has more detergent, and also other minor variations in the additives.
Going by this, then why do oil manufacturers make petrol specific oils? Also, the detergents are good to cleans the insides of a diesel engine. I wonder how they would fare in a petrol one.
Old 29th June 2009, 12:07   #1645
Team-BHP Support

Its not a yes or no answer.
Diesel engine oils have much more detergent. This means that in an older petrol engine they can dislodge sludge and cause compression issues. Kind of like using engine flush.
But on newer engine if you use a diesel engine oil which has petrol rating equal to or higher than what your car requires, its okay.
For example an engine oil can be API-CH4 API-SG. So if your car required minimum of API-SF or API-SG, you can use this diesel oil.
But beware, this oil will be costlier than the corresponding petrol engine oil by atleast 30%

Now why companies make specific petrol engine oils rather than having diesel engine oils only?
Well look at this way.
API-SL oil which is quite a high spec for petrol, and rated API-CF4(medium spec) for diesel is much cheaper than a diesel engine oil which is API-CH4 for diesel and API-SF for petrol.

So having a petrol only oil means that its much cheaper than diesel+petrol.
Diesel engine oils meet petrol specifications not by design, but by incidence.
Companies making light car(crdi) diesel engine oils automatically meet specifications of normal petrol engined cars due to the higher tolerances required by diesel engines.

This of it this way.
97 octane fuel will work in your porsche, as well in your modern MPFI cars, so why don't oil companies make only 97 octane fuel..?
Old 29th June 2009, 12:14   #1646
BHPian

The grade is 15W40.
As per the technical specification from Mobil, this oil can be used safely in gasoline engines as well.

Applications
• Recommended for use in high performance diesel applications including pre-2007 turbo-charged, low emission engines designs, including those featuring EGR technology
• On highway applications operating in both high speed/high load and short haul pick-up/delivery
• Off highway applications operating in severe low speed/heavy load conditions
• Designed to provide outstanding performance in the most severe service modern marine high-speed diesel engines, including Caterpillar, Cummins, Volvo, Daihatsu, and Yanmar.
Recommended for use in high performance gasoline engines and mixed fleet operators
• Diesel-powered equipment from American and Japanese OEMs
• On highway heavy duty trucking and off highway including: construction, mining, quarrying, and agriculture
• Transmissions requiring Allison C-4 (SAE 15W-40 Grade)

Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40 meets or exceeds the following industry and builder specifications:
15W-40
API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF/SL, SJ X
Old 29th June 2009, 12:28   #1647
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Going by this, then why do oil manufacturers make petrol specific oils? Also, the detergents are good to cleans the insides of a diesel engine. I wonder how they would fare in a petrol one.
Good question. At the limit a petrol specific oil is optimised for it. Incidentally, the oil in question meets API-SM, the highest for petrols.

When I saw the Mobil site they said prefer Mobil 1 for petrol but gave no specific reasons! If they cannot I will not even try.
Old 29th June 2009, 12:35   #1648
Team-BHP Support

See, it meets the highest spec for diesels and API-SL for petrol.
Now what if your car requres API-SM?
Moreover, you can get a petrol only SL for much lower price than this oil. For example castrol Magnatec.
Much cheaper, yet meets the API-SL and is 15W40
Old 29th June 2009, 13:46   #1649
Senior - BHPian

A word of caution here. If you have been useing Mineral Oil 20W/50 or similar, do not switch to synthetic. Your engine oil seals that have bloated to accomodate Mineral oil will develop a leak.

Synthetic oil if to be used must be used from day one that you bought the car or installed a new engine.
Old 29th June 2009, 13:49   #1650
Senior - BHPian

A word of caution here. If you have been useing mineral oil, 20W50 or similar, do not change to Synthetic Engine oils now.

A word of caution here.

If you wish to use synthetic oil, do it from day one you buy a new car or install a new engine.

Engine oil seals that bloat enough with mineral oil will shrink with synthetic oil and develop a leak.

This has happened with a number of Nissan Patrols, Landcruisers and other saloon cars.

Most Viewed