Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2013, 12:55   #1171
Senior - BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
You mean like in Royal Enfields! Always had experienced that on my RE.

But honestly false neutral was the last thing I expected from a KTM.
Kind of yes, but on an Enfield you are aware of the false neutrals and more often you know when it has fallen into false neutral as well before you open.
On the 390, you shift, open , the bike is in gear for a second and acclerating as well, falls into neutral, falls to the next lower gear on its own.
It happened on two occasions to me, both while gaining speed and up shifting in higher revs.
AFAIK, rev matching works perfectly on this bike while downshifting and is not required for upshifting. I feel its not giving a good shift of the lever by the rider.
Old 14th November 2013, 14:58   #1172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
After spending a few weeks with the 390, i am not sure if i made the correct decision to buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
After continuous duking for about ten days I took my CBZ for a ride yesterday. I was blown away by the smoothness, linear power delivery, stability and perfect gearshifts of the Honda engine.
Guys, just want to thank you both for your frank views.

Getting the negatives for a particular bike is becoming harder these days and to see something this early, when the initial 'buyer/launch euphoria' is yet to subside is refreshing. I've always felt that highlighting the negatives of a particular product is the most valuable part of an independent forum such as Team BHP. (Obviously I'm not suggesting that we bad-mouth bikes for no reason, but the way people, especially new buyers appear to be unable to tolerate even the slightest criticism about their selected brand is sometimes disconcerting.)

So thanks for your all-round feedback, really helps prospective buyers like me.
Old 14th November 2013, 18:41   #1173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, it would disappoint you on that too; Duke 390 with a sub-12L fuel tank is a big headache for long rides. Even if it returns 30kmpl, the total miles it would cover with a full tank would be slightly more than 300 kms. For this reason, I gave up the idea of upgrading from my current RTR 180 (gives 600kms on a full tank) for touring purpose :(
the small tank capacity is definitely an added load on the mind when touring, but not really a deal breaker, for me. Even on my C5 which has a slightly bigger tank capacity, the low fuel warning lamp use to start flickering with decent amount of fuel left in the tank. Burning the fuel pump fear always played on mind, with a similar kind of mileage, i was looking for fuel pump every 300 kms onwards. Once of the minor reasons, i converted the EFI system to a carbed one, and can now run the bike till the last available drop of petrol, without any fear of damaging the fuel pump. Am sure in sometime, someone will comeup with some solution to the small tank capacity of the 390.

Quote:

Getting the negatives for a particular bike is becoming harder these days and to see something this early, when the initial 'buyer/launch euphoria' is yet to subside is refreshing. I've always felt that highlighting the negatives of a particular product is the most valuable part of an independent forum such as Team BHP. (Obviously I'm not suggesting that we bad-mouth bikes for no reason, but the way people, especially new buyers appear to be unable to tolerate even the slightest criticism about their selected brand is sometimes disconcerting.)
By no means negative reviews, but constructive criticism.
390 is a superb bike and the difference lies in what we individuals expect from it, and whether it matches. In my case, like i said, i wanted a fast, powerful city bike for my daily commute, and after using it for a few weeks, feel that the bike's potential is under utilized in Bangalore kind of traffic. difficult to go beyond 3 gear(mostly 1&2). Rev hard, and may end up hitting an auto who's just cut across. most irritating to me the chain slapping sound, as Bangalore roads are littered with broken patches.
But come a good road, be it the highway,the twisties of the ghats, or the hairpin climbs, and the true character of 390 is revealed. its fast, its smooth, its balanced, with charming handling and breaking. I feel like doing a Bangalore to Goa trip as the roads are superb, and the ride would be fun.. hopefully newyears at Goa.
Like all new launches, there will be small niggles and issues ( a few major ones as well) as being reported on these forums, hope bajaj takes care of them, and sooner.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 18:53   #1174
Senior - BHPian

From tankful to the moment you get the "Low Fuel" warning, how many kms do the production lot 390's do? Is it more than 200 kms?
Old 14th November 2013, 19:08   #1175
Senior - BHPian

Doc, I get about 210-220 from full tank (~9.5 Lt) to low fuel. I have consistently gone about 40-50 km after that. Takes about 9.5 to top up again.

So, effective range is about 250km.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 19:40   #1176
Senior - BHPian

Effective range is 240-260 but mostly within city. In longer rides cruising at 80 gives a good 260km or slightly above range, while reduced 20kms for every 20km boost in speed.

Like 100kmph - Avg is around 240 and 120 kmph - Around 220-230.

This is my observations
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 20:40   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Once of the minor reasons, i converted the EFI system to a carbed one, and can now run the bike till the last available drop of petrol, without any fear of damaging the fuel pump. Am sure in sometime, someone will comeup with some solution to the small tank capacity of the 390.
Hopefully !! I have in quite a few occasions run my bike till the last drop of fuel, but nothing of any sort relating to fuel pump has happened. I was also suggested not to run the bike in reserve often as it is harmful for the engine to run on the last few dregs. Can you shed more light on damage of fuel pump of bike? Like, what circumstances brings about this damage? What is the cost associated? And any other info in your knowledge. Thanks in advance!
Old 14th November 2013, 20:57   #1178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hopefully !! I have in quite a few occasions run my bike till the last drop of fuel, but nothing of any sort relating to fuel pump has happened. I was also suggested not to run the bike in reserve often as it is harmful for the engine to run on the last few dregs. Can you shed more light on damage of fuel pump of bike? Like, what circumstances brings about this damage? What is the cost associated? And any other info in your knowledge. Thanks in advance!
AFIK the fuel also acts as coolant for the pump. Imagine running a water pump when the borewell is dry. The pump may get hot and get damaged or affect optimal performance in the long run. So they advise to not run dry and fill it asap when the low fuel warning lightsup. also these fuel pumps are one of the expensive components of EFI, last i heard, the pump for a C5 was costing upwards of 6K, and even difficult to procure one as spare.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 21:07   #1179
Senior - BHPian

Adding to Nasirkaka when you are running low, simply add water. Its a component of any coolant and you can refill coolant once you find a place to buy it when on road.
Old 14th November 2013, 22:50   #1180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

So thanks for your all-round feedback, really helps prospective buyers like me.
Every bike has its own negatives. The 390 too have its own share, but you are right. I bought the 390 but I am ready to accept the fact that the bike has issues or negatives. I couldn't stand by my bike and say this is the best. But unfortunately some people are just riders, not bikers. This diversity is what makes Team bhp stand out as a great community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Adding to Nasirkaka when you are running low, simply add water. Its a component of any coolant and you can refill coolant once you find a place to buy it when on road.
You mean, adding water to fuel ?

Last edited by junaid12345678 : 14th November 2013 at 23:00.
Old 15th November 2013, 00:40   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
AFIK the fuel also acts as coolant for the pump. Imagine running a water pump when the borewell is dry. The pump may get hot and get damaged or affect optimal performance in the long run. So they advise to not run dry and fill it asap when the low fuel warning lightsup. also these fuel pumps are one of the expensive components of EFI, last i heard, the pump for a C5 was costing upwards of 6K, and even difficult to procure one as spare.
Yeah, that makes it more clear. Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Just like junaid12345678 exclaims, I must express my doubts as well, if you mean adding water to the fuel (when running low). I am sceptic because another bike I own stalled mid-highway and would not start. After some rigorous checking by a trusted mech, it was found that water has accumulated from the fuel tank. Charged a 100 bucks to drain and clean the tank. On asking the mech the reason, he pointed out that the nearby bunk I get petrol from are known to mix water to their fuel content and in this way cheat their customers in the fuel quantity delivered. Since then, I had become very careful from where I get my fuel.
Old 15th November 2013, 00:57   #1182
Distinguished - BHPian

The fuel is the coolest for the fuel pump.
The pump is located at the bottom of the fuel tank so it is totally submerged under normal conditions.

The fuel also lubricates the bearings so running out of fuel isn't good.

Under no circumstances should water ever be added to a fuel tank.
It can corrode the tank, the inner workings of the pump and the fuel injector.
Old 15th November 2013, 01:14   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
The fuel is the coolest for the fuel pump.
The pump is located at the bottom of the fuel tank so it is totally submerged under normal conditions.

The fuel also lubricates the bearings so running out of fuel isn't good.

Under no circumstances should water ever be added to a fuel tank.
It can corrode the tank, the inner workings of the pump and the fuel injector.
Thanks for the structural information, Jim. You put to rest one of my doubts Btw, I thought the lubricating part was done by the engine oil.
Old 15th November 2013, 01:27   #1184
Distinguished - BHPian

The engine oil does lubricate the engine.
In a UCE RE, the engine oil also lubricates the clutch, the primary drive chain from the crankshaft to the clutch and all of the gears in the transmission.

If everything is going right, that's where the engine oil stays.

Because there is no engine oil in the fuel tank the only fluid available to lubricate the fuel pump is the gasoline (petrol) that covers it.
Old 15th November 2013, 09:04   #1185
Senior - BHPian

While everything's super until now, this chain issue is really really annoying the heck outta me. Any way the chain can be tightened? There is wayyyy too much slack on it. And the noise it makes while grazing against something else just destroys the whole experience of riding this bike.

Most Viewed