Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2016, 14:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer

So what is this new fad with Adventure Tourers? What are these adventure tourers actually? Wikipedia defines them as motorcycles which are often used as the basis for competitions in extreme rally events, including the grueling Dakar Rally. Examples include the BMW BMW R1200GS, the KTM 990 Adventure series, and Suzuki V-Strom 1000. These are dual sports motorcycle designed specifically to provide long range touring capabilities both on roads and off roads with the intent of making virtually any destination reachable. So what is this puny 411 cc, single cylinder, air cooled bike with a single overhead cam engine doing in this mix? Lets find out...

This is a motorcycle designed specifically for India. Have no confusion here. It is tailor made for our roads, carbureted and single cylinder for easy maintenance with plenty of neat modern design touches which makes it contemporary as well as practical for everyday use. It is at home on the nonexistent tarmacs of Zoji La as it is on bone breaker roads of down town Baraut. It is rawness personified! Then what is this doing in the premium mix that the 'world' classifies as adventure tourers? It is here because it can do all that and more in the India specific environment at a fraction of the cost. Himalayan ~ 12 for a BMW 1200 GS ~ 7 for a Tiger Xcx ~ 4 for a Versys 650. And that is it's biggest USP. Purists may scoff at these comparisons and I agree to an extent, but you just can't ignore the mix and balance that the Himalayan offers out of this equation.

So this is made by Royal Enfield

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_2.jpg

but it is unlike any other bike RE has ever built. RE is famous for Bullets, but this 'Bullet' does not look like a "Bullet", does not sound like a 'Bullet', hell, it does not even ride like a 'Bullet'. So what is it doing in RE's stable? Well, in hindsight, Sid Lal is a clever man. IMHO he has realised what modern India needs. And this is what he created

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_3.jpg

What a tribute to the cravings of every hard core rider worth his salt! Ladies and Gentlemen, this is 'The Himalayan'...

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_1.jpg

Wait!! You have seen it all before? What's new? Why the drum roll? I am presenting this thread from my perspective and in my own style, just as I have done in the past. From my Toyota Fortuner to my Skoda Superb, to the nearly vintage Karizma or the glam chrome big bodied Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic. I am thoroughly impressed by the package that RE has managed to create at this price point.

I had posted my First Look of the bike here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3983357

Test Ride Impressions here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3983626

Arrival of our bikes here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3989651

PDI of my bike here which includes important pointers to solve the notchy gear box issue - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3996275

Some accessories photos here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3996909

And my Delivery Photos taken on 15-06-2016 here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3997769

The bike costed me 1.8L on-road Meerut

The fit and finish is impeccable and unlike any RE before

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_4.jpg

The left view of the engine which delivers 24.5bhp of power and 32Nm of torque with a 5 speed gear box. The engine uses 15W50 grade 2L oil on each refill. Refill interval is a Industry First (for a Indian bike) 10000 kms as per the owners manual. Service interval is every 5k kms after the initial first service at 500kms. Hell, even my Harley changes oil at 8k intervals and that too fully synthetic while this uses a semi-synthetic one made by HP.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_5.jpg

And the right side view. Also notice the half duplex split cradle frame.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_6.jpg

If this isn't finishing, then I really don't know what is... The LED tail lamp and the rear indicators

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_7.jpg

The hand grips are better finished than the stock one's I got on my 18L Harley

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_8.jpg

The detailed instrument cluster which includes a first in class compass (for a Indian bike), hazard lights switch, outside temperature gauge, gear shift indicator, range, average speeds etc. etc. Hell, I don't even get this much information on my Harley cluster. And it lights up like 'Deepawali' at night... lolz

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_9.jpg

The spring loaded rider footpeg. Best part is that the rubber part can be removed by a nut below for extreme off-road use!

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_10.jpg

The BYBRE disk brakes both front and rear. 240mm at rear and 300mm up front

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_11.jpg

The rear brake master cylinder

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_12.jpg

I am a little disappointed by the finishing on this stainless steel exhaust canister. The brassich scuff marks of weld joints should NOT have been visible. There were also some scratch marks on the black end caps which I got touched up on delivery.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_13.jpg

The left side hand controls are a usual fare. Notice the yellow pass light switch peeping up front.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_14.jpg

The right hand side controls. Switches could have been slightly better finished. But it is all nitpicking really...

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_15.jpg

Utterly disappointing Rear View Mirrors. My biggest grouse on this bike. Some nice metallic finished ones should be offered immediately by RE like the 9k bar end ones for the GT though I wouldn't suggest bar end mirrors on this bike.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_16.jpg

The 300mm front disks on a 90/90-21 Ceat tyre. The front suspension has a 200mm travel via dual hydraulic and telescopic suspension

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_17.jpg

The 120/90-17 rear tyre from Ceat looks butch and does it's job very nicely with decent cornering abilities too. Notice the open chain and the slightly flimsy plastic chain guard. Though the rear footpegs close with a nice click and are well finished. Also peeping through are the 240mm rear disks. The clean look at the rear is achieved by a hidden monoshock with a 180mm rear wheel travel

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_18.jpg

While on the centre stand, which comes standard BTW along with a side stand (which also has a indicator in the instrument cluster!), the chain rests on the frame on top of this nicely fabricated rubber gasket. It tightens when the rear wheel hits the ground

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_19.jpg

The front brake fluid reservoir with a fluid level window

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_20.jpg

The oil cooler. A unique feature of this RE and introduced for the first time by the company. Notice the 'single' horn. Disappointed that it's not a dual one but somehow the sound reminds me of the 'Road Runner' cartoons from my childhood, and I just love it for that...lolz

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_21.jpg

The finishing on the handle bars

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_22.jpg

The Fuel Cap. Its lockable and attached to the frame.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_23.jpg

The 15L Fuel tank with nice recesses for your knees. Should give approximately a 400km+ range. It has a 3L reserve. Also has a low fuel warning which starts indicating on the instrument cluster at approx. 5L mark though this is independent of what the fuel tap does. Notice the Himalayan stickering discussed to death.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_24.jpg

The key slot to open the rear seat

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_25.jpg

The seat fabric and comfort is impeccable. Though it might be too soft in the long run and may be prone to disfigurement.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_26.jpg

The rear luggage rack with bungee points. Notice the weld marks.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_27.jpg

The 'ugly' saree guard which was promptly removed and id the 1st part to fail on even mild off-roading. Not properly designed or thought out and is best off the bike.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_28.jpg

The keys

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_29.jpg

which go into this ignition slot

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-himalayan-purchased-15062016_30.jpg

It is still too less a time to be commenting on long range engine performance and efficiency figures, so stay tuned for that. I have discussed many likes and dislikes on my test ride post and in some parts above but still...

* Excellent torquey engine which I feel is sufficient for our Indian road. Hell, it did a wheel burn out when I first tested it
* Excellent footpegs and how easy and balanced it is to stand on
* Excellent fit and finish for a fully 'Made in India' bike
* Fantastic suspension for both off road and the urban jungle
* Excellent throw from the 60/55W round headlight though the shape could have been more modern
* 220 mm of ground clearance
* 182 kgs of weight makes it a stable tourer and mile muncher
* 12V 8AH VRLF MF Battery
* Economical spares (e.g. the clutch cable is a paltry 97 bucks and the oil filter is 107 Rs.)
* Long (10k) oil change interval though I would recommend changing at 5k
* Will be easy to maintain in remotest locations
* Simple carburetor design which is easily self-adjustable for high altitudes
* Raw and purpose built butch look
* Excellent value proposition

Dislikes
* The flimsy rear view mirror
* Below par wind shield plastic
* Finishing of the exhaust and some open weld points
* 182 kgs of weight is heavy in comparison to international counterparts for solely off-roading purposes
* Mechanics need better training
* Standard Accessories still not available
* Afraid of RE's history of niggles and loose nuts...lolz. They should start using better screw on adhesives so nuts don't come loose and better sealing plastic caps on all end pipes so we don't need to super-glue them on.

More to follow soon. Next up is BOLT 2A USB motorycle mobile charger.

Cheers for now...

Last edited by bblost : 16th June 2016 at 16:46. Reason: service interval.
dkaile is online now   (63) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 16:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 19:29   #3
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post

Cheers for now...
Aptly described as the Indian Bike sir. Great review, So many pictures in so much detail can come only from someone who is truly in love with his ride.

The Himalayan is proving to be a great bike slowly and it grows on you as you see so many good reviews and so many bikes locally.

Its surely not a BULLET and that's good news as Royal Enfield is evolving from its proprietary "Thump" to first catering much more Indian centric biking community and then putting it globally.

As for the Bolt charger, its really a great product, I just got the delivery yesterday and was a bit surprised to see a mobile tank pouch which came along the charger. The quality of the unit and wires is impeccable.

Great review sir - Cheers !!
The Great is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 19:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers for now...
Did you explore any available 12v+USB charger?
Just in case tomorrow you carry a 12v tire inflator!
Im also in look out for the same. Help me if you have any information.
AMG_ang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 21:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Please do share/suggest any specific points for would be owners like "PDI, delivery or any other suggestions".

It will be helpful for us.

Last edited by jeepster : 16th June 2016 at 22:06.
Old 16th June 2016, 21:58   #6
BHPian

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer

A crisp and informative review and as always with some nice clicks. Thanks dkaile.

Wish you million happy miles with the Himalayan!!!

One thing I wanted to ask. Does changing to CL350 clutch cable make the clutch action softer? Is there any downside to doing so?

Last edited by Jude300 : 16th June 2016 at 22:01.
Jude300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 22:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
You can try something like this from AliExpress - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-1...08.0.42.4NMFJD
I have bought some item from that seller. His products are of good quality and he ships quite quickly.

You may also try something like this - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SAE-P...9cbf17f1&tpp=1 in combination with this - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SAE-t...08.0.98.PMl7Q7

I already use ResQTech Emergency Mini Tyre Inflator which already comes with a dedicated battery connector - http://resqtech.in/product/resqtech-...tyre-inflator/
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Please do share/suggest any specific points for would be owners like "PDI, delivery or any other suggestions".

It will be helpful for us.
I had already given PDI pointers in my above post - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3996275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
One thing I wanted to ask. Does changing to CL350 clutch cable make the clutch action softer? Is there any downside to doing so?
No downside at all. I did not have any issue with clutch action coming from the heavy clutch of the Harleys. The notchiness of the gears was a issue and finding neutral was tough during my test ride, which has since disappeared, after changing to the CL350 clutch cable which was suggested by their Service Head at Lucknow. You should change to it immediately.

Hope that helps.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 16th June 2016 at 22:45.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 01:31   #8
BHPian

A big Congrats Dhiraj on the Himalayan.

And like all your ownership reviews this is another brilliantly done post with the right kind of pics and text that people want to read and see. Rather what real bikers & potential buyers want to know. Kudos for taking the efforts

And like you said, I salute RE for finally making a bike in India for India which for a change is not a 'Bullit'. Doesn't matter if 12 of them can buy a GS or not, as long as it puts a big grin on your face every time you mount it thats what matters. I have a naughty feeling that your Harley may perhaps feel it is not going to get the same attention it has had all this time

Ride safe and wish you a wonderful ownership
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 06:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Dheeraj on this new acquisition!

A genuine advise is to not use the factory oil. Please use a good oil. for example Motul which was a RE partner till they started their own brand liquid gun, has the same RE specific 15W50 in mineral, semisynthetic, fully synthetic and Factory line synthetic oil.

Other brands like shell, Mobil too are available in the said grade.
If you find it hard to source please let me know. I'll get you in contact so that you can feed good oil into that engine. I've helped a lot of Harley owners too to get good quality oil into their bikes.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 17th June 2016 at 07:22.
navpreet318 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 09:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
A big Congrats Dhiraj on the Himalayan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Congratulations Dheeraj on this new acquisition!

A genuine advise is to not use the factory oil.
Thank you both. Means a ton coming both from the owners of the big daddy of all adventure tourers, the BMW GS. Hope your bikes are both doing fine.

Your advise will be strictly adhered to Navpreet. Though I would like to switch to fully synthetic at 10k mark and I would also be changing oil @5k mark (semi synthetic). The brands mentioned by you will definitely be better than the HP one.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 13:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

dkaile! Congrats! Excellent report as always.
I am surprised that you compared a RE product to Harley, that too with respect to quality and hence shows how much RE has improved over the years !
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 14:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

dkaile sir, hearty congratulations for the H. RE has indeed improved in terms of quality. I am sure in the coming time, all the issues would be ironed off. Big shout to Sid Lal for feeling the pulse of the Indian touring scenario. Though currently I have a CL500 i would love to add the H to my garage. Since I am hearing a lot of rumors of a more powerful motorcycle from RE I am holding back. I have been used to owning and maintaining "simple" motorcycles in the past, one of them being the ZMA which i had owned, the Himalayan makes perfect sense with the basic parts easily within your reach.
With respect to the engine oil, i wouldn't use the oil used by HP since I felt the engine heat up a wee bit. Been using Motul 5100 and the UCE simple loves it.
Wishing you all the very best.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 16:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
Quote:
You can try something like this from AliExpress - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-1...08.0.42.4NMFJD
I have bought some item from that seller. His products are of good quality and he ships quite quickly.

You may also try something like this - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SAE-P...9cbf17f1&tpp=1 in combination with this - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SAE-t...08.0.98.PMl7Q7

I already use ResQTech Emergency Mini Tyre Inflator which already comes with a dedicated battery connector - http://resqtech.in/product/resqtech-...tyre-inflator/
allow me to comment: http://goo.gl/YYTDls
this stuff has good features: dual USB ports, 12v socket, built-in fuse circuit, switch, cover, lighting and waterproof!
PS: cant comment on the site/seller, you can look around for such featured product.

@dkaile : Sir, lovely review, superb pics, excellent knowledge-base; Congratulations.

Last edited by pcpranav : 17th June 2016 at 16:24. Reason: congrats!
pcpranav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 16:46   #14
BHPian

A big round of congratulations and a very well put review.

Himalayan indeed is a very good offering for touring on Indian roads.
Keep an eye on those tappets though. A friend in Delhi is having a tough time with the same on his Himalayan.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 17:00   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase .

How's the 0-60 acceleration in city conditions. I had found it to be lazy to pick up speed during test ride.
100BHP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks