Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2016, 10:57   #136
CGB
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
UPDATE on BOLT USB Charger
Cheers...
Deeraj ji.. Go for resonate bike charger as ku69rd posted.

I would suggest you to not to mount the resonate charger in the handlebar.

As it is a permanent fixture, we cannot remove and fix it elsewhere. Make sure that it is hidden well from the prying eyes. One of my colleague's charger mount was damaged after it was fiddled by some moron

Congrats on your Leh trip and keep us updated.
CGB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 10:59   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post

I would suggest you to not to mount the resonate charger in the handlebar.
The mirror mount should be absolutely spot since it will free up some space for additional mounts like the phone/GPS if required.

They are very good quality for the money but albeit on the expensive side. Since Dhiraj has a battalion of motorcycles he can use the spare mounts to ensure one charger fits all his bikes.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 19:33   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Poor steering is not fixed by loosening the handlebars or the steering head bearings.

Second, if there is a design problem they need to know about it as soon as possible so they can evaluate it and make the necessary revisions if needed.
God, RE am I to believe that this has been the extensive testing and Quality Assurance. I have booked the vehicle and now I am being advised by near and dear ones not to proceed with it. Not sure what I will do, my vehicle is still not allotted. Why cant RE make at least something that just works. I really wished I could continue with it.
Old 17th August 2016, 22:00   #139
BHPian

I took the bike today to the service center. They adjusted the tightness of the steering...loosened it a bit. The mechanic told me the steering had become tight. Was sceptical but the problem has dissappeared. The bike is running normal again.

@Madtiger i think if u go with the premise that the bike is a step forward for RE and some niggles are to be accepted, then there is no beating the value proposition that this bike is. I am constantly pushing this bike in a manner that i had never treated my machismo 350.
ayon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 22:07   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
I really wished I could continue with it.
If so many doubts with the product, you really shouldn't. Buy only that which pleases your heart and soul.

Cheers...
Old 18th August 2016, 07:26   #141
BHPian

Quote:

"The Himalayan's ruggedness and simplicity are exactly the cure for the exceedingly complex ADV bikes of today"
That's exactly what's keeping me glued to this thread. Got to find the money before they plonk all those gizmos into it and make it "electronic".

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 12:02   #142
Senior - BHPian

Himalayan Prep-Up before LEH Departure

The bike was taken to the service station for prepping up before the Leh trip this week

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-leh-pre-service-19082016_1.jpg

All bolts were checked and tightened where necessary

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-leh-pre-service-19082016_2.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-leh-pre-service-19082016_3.jpg

No leakages of any kind found

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-leh-pre-service-19082016_4.jpg

Some more spares were procured. A newer clutch cable for the Himalayan had reached them (160/-) which was longer by just a few mm from the original that came with the bike. It was kept as a spare as my Classic 350 cable was running just fine. 1L engine oil (350/-) and brake and clutch levers (410/-) were procured. Also a chain lube used and recommended by RE was also procured (300/-).

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-leh-pre-service-19082016_5.jpg

Chain Lube's applications. It is a quality product from a subsidiary of ITW, USA

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-leh-pre-service-19082016_6.jpg

The Long Riding Boots by RE (6500/-) were also checked out. Quite good and sewn at the lips for total waterproofing

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-leh-pre-service-19082016_7.jpg

Meanwhile the ROK straps had also reached from BigBadBikes.com (1920/- landed)

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rok-straps_2.jpg

The quality was excellent

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rok-straps_3.jpg

3 rolls of 2" 3M Masking tape from amazon.in had also reached and will be used to cover the tank in vulnerable spots to prevent scratches IF I attach the tank bag at that location

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-3m-masking-tape.jpg

A Natural Cotton Soft Muffler was procured which I feel is most essential for such trips as it can do multiple functions and even function as a towel...lolz

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-natutal-cotton-muffler.jpg

A small Foldable Duffle Bag was also procured for extra luggage, if needed.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-small-duffle-bag-foldable.jpg

And a rain cover for the same was also procured

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rain-cover-duffle-back-pack.jpg

and a Yoga Mat in grey shade

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-yoga-mat.jpg

My existing RAIN Jacket from Naturals and RAIN Pants from Wildcraft

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rain-jacket-pants.jpg

RAIN Jacket in use

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rain-jacket-use.jpg

A short Independence day run in heavy rains was made to test many capabilities. It waded through 1~2 feet water on the roads at many points easily. The Rynox as a tail bag and the ROK straps were also tested.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-independence-day-rain-run_3.jpg

But my existing Armstrong Armored boots failed miserably and got totally wet till the innards. So a Waterproof Hiking Shoes of Quechua through Decathlon.in were procured, model is Forclaz 500 (now called 100), MRP was 4999/- and I got it for 3999/-, after proper research and feedback from many ex-Leh Riders. These boots serve the dual purpose to tackle the Leh terrain and double up as sturdy waterproof Riding Boots too. The top mesh is quite thick to easily take the gear change lever's abuse.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-quechua-forclaz-500-100-hiking-boots_1.jpg

Seams are sewn in like the RE boots for proper water resistance in showers.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-quechua-forclaz-500-100-hiking-boots_2.jpg

Novadry material. Will work till the shoes are submerged above knee length.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-quechua-forclaz-500-100-hiking-boots_3.jpg

The Rain Pants Mode, for riding in the rains

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rain-pants-hiking-riding-boots.jpg

The Water Crossing Mode, with RE Boot Covers for 1~2 feet water submergence. Nothing is 100% foolproof but hopefully this can get the job done.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-rain-cover-rain-pants-hiking-riding-boots.jpg

Also got these CE Rated Riding Sunglasses from Decathlon. 100% UV protection, impact and pebble resistant, and category 3 Glare protection

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-riding-sunglasses-decathlon.jpg

Also got hold of this old mini folding tripod for taking night shots

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-mini-mount-camera.jpg

And a unbreakable glass

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-unbreakable-glass.jpg

Some checklists, made by a friend who also owns a Himalayan, which I may follow partially depending upon my own personal requirements

Bike Preparation

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-bike-preparation-leh.jpg

Misc Items and clothes

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-misc-items-leh.jpg

Medical Kit

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-medical-kit-items-leh.jpg

Spare fuses for the Himalayan (10A, 15A and 30A)

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-spare-fuses-himalayan.jpg

Spare Headlight Bulbs were pinched from my i10, same specs of 55/60W H4.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-spare-headlight-bulb-55-60-w-h4-i10.jpg

More to follow.

Cheers for now...

Last edited by dkaile : 21st August 2016 at 12:11.
dkaile is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 12:35   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Himalayan Prep-Up before LEH Departure

The bike was taken to the service station for prepping up before the Leh trip this week

More to follow.

Cheers for now...
Maybe we are going OT.

Wow!!! You are spending so much money on the prep itself. Is it your first trip up there? Are you riding alone? I remember my first trip from 10-11yrs ago reading your prep.

The amount of spares you are carrying (and i used to do too) is exactly why am not sure i want to spend my money on RE anymore. It is so ridiculous for bolts, fuses, cables etc to just pop off on you.

Just a word of caution - nothing is waterproof!! No matter who says what - nothing from a Rs.1000 to Rs.10,000 worth of gear can protect you from water. And i've spent all kinds of money and done all jugads but water gets to you finally. So don't worry about it. Just carry many pairs of spare socks....And wear a wind cheater over your riding jacket.

Advice if you are willing to trust - go light!! Piling on all this luggage, spares, tool kit etc is just going to kill the fun of riding towards Leh. Its easier to do so if you are riding in a group or at least with a partner. But if riding alone, all the more important you carry only what you need. Pulling the bike up on the stand, pushing it in case of falls or thru water logging will simply be a pain. More importantly, you can't veer off the beaten path. :P

Stuff like t-shirts etc can be purchased in Leh ...take old ones you don't want. Wear them under your jacket and throw them at the end of the day. You will get lighter as you go along the journey. Buy things that are available in Leh - even some spares! Leh is a big big town now and the roads leading to Leh are nothing like they were a decade ago. The traffic on that route is many folds so you won't be alone for more than an hour if you are stuck on the main route and you are not riding late evening.

But cheers!!! I've always cherished my rides up the mountains no matter how many times i go. You are bound to come back with memories that will last you a lifetime. Ride safe!
Nilesh5417 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 12:51   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Maybe we are going OT.
Lolz. Thanks for your 'friendly' advice. The checklists etc. are just general guidelines to help any new comers. They are 'not' necessarily to be followed to the hilt. And be rest assured I have done my proper research from veterans and Leh travellers of multiple trips, as to what is to be carried and what is not. I will be travelling light and in a group. And the Himalayan is just as reliable as your next bike and maybe even more than many costlier counterparts. I have already mentioned that nothing is 100% 'fool' proof or waterproof. You can just plan as best as you can but uncertainties of any road trip cannot be ascertained in advance and that is where the pleasure lies.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 21st August 2016 at 12:57.
Old 21st August 2016, 17:02   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Cheers...
Superb planning. Will be hooked to your thread when you go for Leh, I will be doing the same next year.

Sir, a small request - can you post the pic of Hepco and Becker top box that you purchased from motousher website and what size did you buy.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 21:49   #146
BHPian

During my trip to Ladakh I noticed only 2 bullets that had broken down. I found out that one had stopped because of an electrical problem - a blown main fuse caused by bad wiring for a mobile phone charger. That guy was lucky that a helpful passing rider was an experienced mechanic who solved the problem by bypassing the faulty wiring.

I read this great tip somewhere and I hope that it will help you too: route the spare clutch and accelerator cables along the existing cables so that if it's time to replace a cable, is easy to swap the old and new ones.
Motard_Blr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 10:40   #147
Senior - BHPian

Trial Run with full load for the Ladakh Trip

Decided to do a full load trial run today before sunrise, before the main trip starting this Saturday so as to not run into last minute surprises.

Everything loaded up. Trying to travel as light as possible.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-leh-trial-run_8.jpg

Bike cruised quite comfortably at 100~110 and crossed 120 easily with load.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-leh-test-ride-22082016_2.jpg

Eat that Goldwing... lolz. How's that for a backrest!

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-leh-trial-run_9.jpg

A view of the tankl bags that are filled with the fuel bottles and the toolkit etc. The bike did feel a little front heavy with nearly 10kg load in both these bags. So I am planning to carry empty bottles only in these bags till fuel is actually needed and shifting my toolkit to the back to balance out the load.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-leh-trial-run_3.jpg

These open roads remind me of the famous 50's song (please bear with me...lol)

हम हैं राही प्यार के, हमसे कुछ ना बोलिए
जो भी प्यार से मिला, हम उसी के हो लिए...
दर्द भी हमें कुबूल, चैन भी हमें कुबूल
हमने हर तरह के फूल, हार में पिरो लिए
धूप थी नसीब में, धूप में तो लिया है दम
चांदनी मिली तो हम, चांदनी में सो लिए
दिल पे आसरा लिए, हम तो बस यूँ ही जिये
इक कदम पे हंस लिए, इक कदम पे रो लिए
राह में पड़े हैं हम, कब से आप की क़सम
देखिये तो कम से कम, बोलिए न बोलिए...

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-leh-trial-run_11.jpg

All packing was done in plastic bags for daily basis

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-leh-packing.jpg

Some mobile essentials added

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-mobile-essentials-leh.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Comprehensive Review of the 'Desi' Adventure Tourer-leh-test-ride-22082016_1.jpg

Cheers for now....

Last edited by dkaile : 22nd August 2016 at 10:43.
dkaile is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 11:29   #148
Senior - BHPian

Whoa! that's some comprehensive list of touring kit you are carrying mate. Your preparation looks very well managed, do carry some correct size carb jets as well, just in case. I hope you are not going to wear that half face helmet while riding to Ladakh, a full face is recommended.

Three cheers for your upcoming ride.

Ride Hard Ride Safe.
Old 22nd August 2016, 12:40   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
can you post the pic of Hepco and Becker top box that you purchased from motousher website and what size did you buy.
Thanks mate. Like I said, that list has been compiled by a fellow Himalayan compatriot of this trip. I have NOT taken more than half the items on that list, as I had most of them already and then a few I did not need like that Hepco Becker, as that job is being handled by the Rynox tank/tail bag for me. That list is just a general guideline for those 'interested'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
caused by bad wiring for a mobile phone charger.
So true. Rather than blaming the bike, it is mostly these 3rd party jobs/parts that mess up things. I have done all these wiring myself, with proper fusible links, as I do not trust 'most' of our ill trained mechanics.

Quote:
route the spare clutch and accelerator cables along the existing cables so that if it's time to replace a cable, is easy to swap the old and new ones.
That's a very common tip but mostly applicable on the Bullets of yore. These modern machines are much more reliable and the quality of parts has vastly improved. My 2 friends just returned on their Himalayans without as much as a loose bolt. While another one faced a issue with reduced pickup at higher altitudes but could still manage speeds of around 100 on the More Plains. I am carrying these cables only just in case, because according to my mates who have returned doing the 'actual' trip, the Himalayan cables can easily tackle 2 or 3 of such trips on a single part. Though I am carrying both the levers because ANY bike's levers can break IF it has a fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
that's some comprehensive list of touring kit you are carrying mate.
Thanks. Like I said mate, I have not bought half the stuff in that list. I am trying to travel as light as possible and necessary

Quote:
do carry some correct size carb jets as well, just in case.
Thanks for the suggestion, but only one of my mates got the jet changed 'pro-actively' at RE's Leh workshop. In fact as per my knowledge these jets are very hard to source at most RE workshops in the plains, as they are actually not needed. Neither is it available at mine, nor do I intend to carry it, as I will be testing out the carb air mixture screw adjustment and reporting back the feedback.

Quote:
I hope you are not going to wear that half face helmet while riding to Ladakh, a full face is recommended.
That's a no brainer mate. I will be fully geared for the actual trip. My CE rated MT full face is serving me well.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 22nd August 2016 at 12:42.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 18:50   #150
BHPian

Best of luck dkaile,

Wishing you an awesome trip. What route are you taking? Please share your travelogue. I will be eagerly waiting for it as a prospective buyer of Himalayan. Though i know couple of people who did Leh on Himalayan but I like your attention to detail and details

Thanks

-Ijeet
ijeet is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks