Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2018, 14:28   #451
BHPian

Re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
One of the Bangalore showroom was supposed to open today and the dealer had tweeted that couple of days back as well. Upon reaching the showroom today - there's nothing!
Saw another showroom as well - which has nothing but that banner to show for their work.
Is this picture of the Safina Plaza showroom? Was planning to visit it.
Old 15th December 2018, 14:56   #452
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhu_Bengaluru View Post
Is this picture of the Safina Plaza showroom? Was planning to visit it.
Yes Madhu. Don't even bother for the next two weeks - lot of pending work from what I've seen.

Launch was unnecessarily hurried up to steal some thunder from RE, I guess.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th December 2018 at 14:59.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2018, 15:29   #453
Senior - BHPian

Attended 1st showroom launch for new innings of Jawa in India. Sharing some photos from phone camera.

Traditional dhol-tasha for inauguration
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-01.jpg

Guests being welcomed
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-02.jpg

and adorned with 'puneri pagadi'
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-03.jpg

Classic legends official really liked retroness of showroom and in his speech said this layout should be replicated across all other jawa dealerships.

Corner of showroom, perhaps for upcoming accessories
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-showroom01.jpg

Turntable with a Vinyl record just next to it
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-showroom02.jpg

One of the wall
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-showroom03.jpg

and pillar next to it
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-showroom04.jpg

another corner
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-showroom05.jpg

4 bikes are on display, no test rides today at least. Showroom was jam packed with interest from young as well as old.

Separate handle lock & ignition. Better to have key with only keyring in ignition, else keychain will flutter a lot.
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-bike01.jpg

Front brake & another cable (perhaps ABS) has been tied at multiple places and fixed on fork
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-bike02.jpg

Radiator fan, mount point for crash guard
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-bike03.jpg

Pre-production nature evident here
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-bike04.jpg

Bottom portion of mudguard not smoothly finished
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-bike05.jpg

Among bikes on display, I liked this metallic shade
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-bike06.jpg

Many old owners of Jawa & Yezdi had come over as well, found this parked outside the showroom.

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-yezdi01.jpg
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-yezdi02.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I hope Pune bhpians can give more candid views basis their test drives that touch upon how the Jawa twins fare (at least from an initial ride perspective) wrt to the RE options.
Test rides not possible yet, I am trying to get a bike/both bikes for photo-shoot and possibly a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Good to see Pune showroom is open. So its not a joke!
First 2 showrooms for Jawa have opened today in Pune, rest should follow soon.
sukiwa is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th December 2018, 16:29   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Attended 1st showroom launch for new innings of Jawa in India.
I was also at the launch and in one of your snaps (the one where someone is putting a pheta on Boman), the hand holding up a camera to the top left is mine

Great snaps. I will also post a few tomorrow.

Since Sukiwa has taken care of the snaps for the moment, let me just give my impressions and a few things I heard at the launch:

a) At least at Baner, the Jawa showroom is bang next to the RE showroom. In fact as you climb to the first floor, the glass door to the left is the RE showroom and the one on the right is the Jawa. I wonder if this is really a great move since with the ecstatic reception to the RE twins and the general uptick in quality that RE seem to be engaged in, rather than frustrated RE customers walking into Jawa, the flow may happen the other way.

b) Having said that I have to say the Javas look gorgeous in the flesh. There were 4, the lime green and dark blue 42 (the latter is the one which Sukiwa has snapped) and a white and red Jawa classic. All looked great.

c) While these may be preproduction versions, they looked premium and very well put together.

d) I managed to sit on the Lime green forty two and can confirm the following:
  1. The seat height is low as advertised. I am 5' 6" and I could plant both feet on the ground
  2. The Forty Two has a pleasing weight, neither too light nor elephantine. I had no problem moving it from the angled position to the vertical. I mention this because soon after this I went to an RE showroom and did the same with the Continental GT 650 and boy you could feel that weight I tell you.
  3. The Jawa forty two rider foot pegs butt into our shins. You put your foot down and the pegs hit you. This is a critique I have heard about the Interceptor 650 too.
  4. The seat is narrow and hard as reviewers have said. A little cushioning would be great.
  5. If the rider and pillion are normal sized, then the current seat can hold both.
  6. The Jawa sales guy confirmed that a pillion back rest would be available as an accessory.
e) I have to say that if these are preproduction versions, then I am very encouraged.

The Jawa sales guy said that deliveries would start in February. I remember one of the reviewers saying that deliveries would be early March so we will have to just wait for confirmation one way or the other.
bevivek is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 07:15   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympal View Post
I used to have a Jawa in the old days that took 10 kicks at the minimum to start. Hope the new Jawa is not replicating delayed start for nostalgia sake!

And the button which needed to be pressed several times to release the flooded carburetor.

But those were the days. Once my dad (we owned jawa classic II, 1972 model) got fed up of kicking and left for office. I started kicking and after few dozens of kicks the engine came to life. I still remember the way I ran to the hospital (where my dad used to work) to call him
girishv is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 10:39   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
And the button which needed to be pressed several times to release the flooded carburetor.

But those were the days. Once my dad (we owned jawa classic II, 1972 model) got fed up of kicking and left for office. I started kicking and after few dozens of kicks the engine came to life. I still remember the way I ran to the hospital (where my dad used to work) to call him
Wow! What an amazing experience. Imagine running to your dad's workplace just to tell him that his bike has started.
Old 16th December 2018, 12:11   #457
BHPian

So the suspense of how the Jawas ride is over and yes they are not as convincing as the RE twins. However, I beg to differ here, first no one expected the kind of quality from the RE twins because of RE's earlier iterations, second there was too much expectation from the Jawa engine because of it being a derivative of the Mahindra Mojo. So the resultant surprise in the case of RE twins and the subsequent disappointment with the Jawas especially in the top end performance. Nonetheless, each to his own but the lack of finishing in the excuse of pre-production models cannot be tolerated. If Jawa go the RE way by taking the customer for granted they too will not be taken seriously. Hence if the head honchos of Jawa are reading this (which they probably are) then all niggles must be sorted out before the motorcycles reach the showrooms. Better late then a half baked cake.
maverickrider00 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 13:14   #458
BHPian

Why are these bikes being compared to the 650 twins?? 650 twins are more than a lac costlier than the Jawas. For more money you get a bigger engine, better quality and a more feature rich bike, for a lot less money you get a smaller engine, somewhat poor quality and less features. Isn't that exactly how money and valuation work?

The RE 350 models should be fair game for the Jawas since they are priced very close, offer very similar power figures and features. IMO Jawa offers a better product overall and the only fly in the ointment is the lack of a rear disc, but since the kerb weight is also lower than the RE 350, I suppose braking performance would be the same on both.

Also, it is worth noting that CLPL is inherently a startup backed by Mahindra. While the name Jawa has history and brand recall and everything, CLPL is still very much a new player in the Market. It is not Mahindra's Two wheeler division, nor does it have Mahindra's name on the forefront. RE on the other hand is an ancient stalwart, currently rolling in cash from its own well deserved profits. It is a stereotypical David Vs Goliath scenario and it should be interesting to see how RE responds to the Jawa twins, and how does CLPL fare where it really matters i.e. sales charts.
ashwin1224 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 13:38   #459
BHPian

@sukiwa, @bevivek, Have testrides started? Did anyone in the showroom indicate when they will start?
Old 16th December 2018, 15:04   #460
BHPian

According to Jawa Kukatpally, all showrooms in Hyderabad are slated to open on 29th December. And after watching most of the videos on Youtube, CLPL has to work on fit and finish, fuelling and the hard seat. If these are indeed prototypes, they look promising. Things I wish for from day one are a dual disk variant on offer, a tachometer and less vibrations at three digit speeds. I hope CLPL are listening!
Old 16th December 2018, 16:01   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
@sukiwa, @bevivek, Have testrides started? Did anyone in the showroom indicate when they will start?
Dunno why I did not ask this obvious question. But not before Jan I think given what we saw during the showroom opening.

Since I have booked a Jawa they will probably send me mailers or SMS informing me when I can go get a test ride.
bevivek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 16:56   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post

Also, it is worth noting that CLPL is inherently a startup backed by Mahindra. While the name Jawa has history and brand recall and everything, CLPL is still very much a new player in the Market. It is not Mahindra's Two wheeler division, nor does it have Mahindra's name on the forefront. RE on the other hand is an ancient stalwart, currently rolling in cash from its own well deserved profits. It is a stereotypical David Vs Goliath scenario and it should be interesting to see how RE responds to the Jawa twins, and how does CLPL fare where it really matters i.e. sales charts.
Disagree.

It's a subsidiary of Mahindra & Mahindra Limited with majority stake holdership (60%), similar to Mahindra 2 Wheelers (a subsidiary under Mahindra Vehicles Manufactures Ltd) and Peugeot Motors (a subsidiary under Mahindra Two Wheelers Europe Ltd) and others too (for e.g. Mahindra also owns the B.S.A. brand). So all the money that flows into Mahindra Two Wheelers can and should flow into CLPL, unless the group takes a business decision not to; or they have a different business plan.

It's just M&M Ltd playing smart and not putting all its' eggs in one basket.

As to CLPL vs RE, it's too early to bring any comparisons, or even figure out who's David here and who's Goliath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevivek View Post
Dunno why I did not ask this obvious question. But not before Jan I think given what we saw during the showroom opening.

Since I have booked a Jawa they will probably send me mailers or SMS informing me when I can go get a test ride.
Quote:
Considering they haven't open showrooms in most of the cities, I'm guessing the focus will be on that, than giving (more) bikes to the dealers for test rides. Let's hope I'm wrong though!
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 21:37   #463
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www-rushlane-com.cdn.ampproj...-12290985.html

Don't know how valid but this news reports a Disc brake version of Jawa and Jawa42 with Dual channel ABS for 10-15k more
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 21:50   #464
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
https://www-rushlane-com.cdn.ampproj...-12290985.html

Don't know how valid but this news reports a Disc brake version of Jawa and Jawa42 with Dual channel ABS for 10-15k more
In the article I see comparison being made with the Dual Disc RE Signal which honestly is a shame as if comparing on similar lines sans the closed loop FI system on the Dual Disk Jawa, it could be priced way lower than its originally quoted price even.

Now I'm kinda worried if the Jawa would face a similar fate as the P220 DTSFi due to pricing being a determinant factor in the eyes of the average Indian consumer.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 10:12   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevivek View Post
I was also at the launch and in one of your snaps
Did we interact or not? I was wearing white 'Live to Ride' Team-BHP t-shirt.

Quote:
Have testrides started? Did anyone in the showroom indicate when they will start?
Test rides would be at least 4-6 weeks away.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks