Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2018, 16:04   #481
BHPian

Re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

Anupam Thareja confirms on Instagram
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-f9f0da5e54f34fe1a3972af80454812b.jpeg  

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-53966da10f2e4f68ab76a7ec7c435b1f.jpeg  

Old 21st December 2018, 16:33   #482
Senior - BHPian

Jawa announces Dual-Channel ABS models & exchange offers

Classic Legends will offer dual-channel ABS on the new Jawa and Jawa forty two. Those who have already made online bookings will be able to opt for the dual-channel ABS versions on the website soon. The priority of delivery will be according to their queue within the Dual Channel ABS subset of the overall bookings. These bikes will be delivered only after June 2019.

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawaproduct.jpg

The dual-channel ABS variants cost Rs. 8,942 more than the single-channel ABS versions. The Jawa Dual-Channel ABS is priced at Rs. 1,72,942 and the Jawa forty two Dual-Channel ABS costs Rs. 1,63,942 (ex-showroom, Delhi).

The Jawa and Jawa forty two were launched in November this year. The bikes are powered by a 293cc, single-cylinder, liquid-cooled engine that develops 27 BHP and 28 Nm of torque. The engine is mated to a 6-speed transmission. The dual-channel ABS variants get a disc brake at the rear instead of the drum brake that the standard variants get. All variants come with a 280 mm disc brake at the front.

Classic Legends has partnered with Mahindra First Choice Wheels to offer exchange schemes to its customers. The company has also announced a tie up with various financial institutions to offer finance schemes to its customers at its dealerships.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 16:58   #483
kkg
BHPian

Just got SMSs invitees for four Jawa showrooms opening in Delhi on Friday, 22 Dec and I am like

I am just awestruck that no proofreads their final invites. They had many mistakes in their website and now this. Again I am
kkg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 19:20   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

On one hand, it is very encouraging to see that Mahindra is taking feedback on it's product positively and looking to be agile enough to put up a strong fight to the undisputed segment leader.

On the other hand, it is worrying that Mahindra seems to have severely erred in putting the cart before the horse in multiple instances. First they had the launch date very close that of the 650s but they didnt have a motorcycle to physically display in showrooms across the country. That said, they didnt have showrooms across the country at that time! Terrible, knee jerk decision making to say the least. Then they sent journalists for test rides but the bikes provided to them and the ones sent to the new showrooms were pre production ones with fit and finish issues (as evidenced on this forum). That's the last thing you want to do from a business perspective and it certainly sounds like amateur hour is going on!

Now they announce dual channel ABS with those bikes being delivered after June 2019. Im sure a lot of potential buyers will hold out till then and wait for real world feedback from the few owners who opt for single channel ABS after taking delivery of their bikes in early 2019. Net net, there are going to be less Jawa bikes on our roads in the first half of 2019. There is no positive spin on this, its a terrible management decision to announce dual channel ABS with 6 months delay when no bikes have been delivered yet Also, the reasoning given by Jawa officials for not having a rear disc brake and dual channel ABS was cost related. But all feedback that they have received recently has vehemently proved just the opposite, the customer demands dual channel ABS. Did Mahindra not do any market research at all?

The ability to exchange your motorcycle through Mahindra First Choice is certainly interesting primarily because they have only been dealing with cars till now. Can they cope with the influx of motorcycles and offer a fair price for the different incoming motorcycles? Time will tell. I recently had a chat with a sales person from a large Indian two wheeler manufacturer and he said that it didnt make sense for dealerships to spend all that money on exchange offers as they would then be left with the headache of trying to sell second hand motorcycles from other manufacturers now. Its dead weight for them.

It feels as though Mahindra has gone full steam ahead and spent all this money and time in developing these very interesting offerings to slay their big rival but in doing so is it losing sight of the smaller and more important business fundamentals? Running before learning to walk could be their undoing. And that would be a terrible shame, not just for Mahindra but for the Indian customer as well.
neil.jericho is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 20:27   #485
Senior - BHPian

One keeps getting the feeling that Mahindra's two wheeler division is run by 'car' guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
and it certainly sounds like amateur hour is going on!

net, there are going to be less Jawa bikes on our roads in the first half of 2019. There is no positive spin on this, its a terrible management decision to announce dual channel ABS with 6 months delay when no bikes have been delivered yet
Fully agree.
Numerous case studies all over the world on the dangers of announcing upgraded products before one has cleared existing inventory. (Not that MM has any inverntory! But no visibility on the road => perception that the bike is a flop => usually self fulfilling.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 16:46   #486
BHPian

The dealerships in Pune seems to be offering test rides of the JAWA and JAWA 42. Has no Team Bhpian been there? A ride review from a fellow Team Bhpian would really be appreciated, not that the journos haven't done it but I always believe the last word from the Team Bhp forum towards any car or motorcycle. Since I am from Darjeeling, the opening of the showroom here in Siliguri seems to February 19, till then a bit of information on the motorcycle would be great.
Old 22nd December 2018, 19:28   #487
BHPian

In Bangalore, the Hosur road (behind forum mall) showroom has started with the test rides for both Jawa and Jawa 42. Too much rush, hence decided to do it later. The exhaust note of both the bikes was pretty good, quite like Mojo. Also, something I noticed, the seat is very firm and thin and pressing with my hand I could feel the frame underneath it. A bigger and thicker seat would be the first modification needed along with a pillion back rest, adding foam on top shouldn't be an issue since the seat height is pretty low and even shorties like me could plant both the feet
Grease_Monkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 21:59   #488
Senior - BHPian

Okay guys, I got the first test drive or both the JAWAs. Yesterday, I was at the launch and ensured I was given the first ride today. Well, to cut things short RE 350 can breathe easy. JAWA has a long way to go as the best thing about the bike is the horn, the best on any Indian bike ever, and nothing else clicked for me!

The design is there, and is a big draw, no doubt - but the engine felt puny and purrs instead of growling. Gearing is adequate but I struggled to find neutral. Saddle height is fine for me with the seat being on the softer side. Fit and finish had few issues. ABS light was blinking throughout with rear brake being non-existent. And oh, the Headlight was pretty good. Showroom staff are assembled from some grocery shop, and lack finesse, except for one Sidharth - he was charming but was overwhelmed by the enquiries. The TD was for 2KMS, and I'll be taking a longer ride once the next batch arrives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I was at Basavangudi outlet
Sebring is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 22:45   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevivek View Post
Great snaps. I will also post a few tomorrow.
Well, it has taken a few more days but here are a few more snaps from the Baner Jawa showroom launch.

Sukiwa's snaps were so complete that there is not much to add to that. The snap of the 42's fuel tank was because it had such a great tear drop shape. The shot of the pillion seat with a person on it was to show that there is enough room for a 'normal' sized pillion. And finally the shot of the Jawa and RE showrooms bang next to each other.

And judging from a Pune vlogger Katty's ride, test rides seem to have begun.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa-42-exhibit-1.jpg  

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa-42-pillion-comfort-1.jpg  

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa-42-tank-1.jpg  

Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa-next-re-1.jpg  

bevivek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 14:58   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevivek View Post
And judging from a Pune vlogger Katty's ride, test rides seem to have begun.
In Bengaluru two minute test drives (approx 500m) are being offered with the Rajajinagar showroom offering 300 test rides on an average and forced to remain open till 11 pm. Waiting period of 8 months is being quoted for new bookings whereas deliveries are slated to commence in March. I showed my booking details (booked on the day bookings opened) and requested for a longer test ride once the initial hype is over and showrooms are less crowded. Fit and finish seem decent with not much to complain about quality control either.
ar134 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 15:22   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The design is there, and is a big draw, no doubt - but the engine felt puny and purrs instead of growling.
Actually I quite liked the sound of the bike. It would be impossible to recreate the original exhaust note and I'd say the new bike sounds like a well put together machine. It does purr but there is a hint of things getting more interesting higher up in the power band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar134 View Post
In Bengaluru two minute test drives (approx 500m) are being offered with the Rajajinagar showroom...
I visited the place briefly but didn't see any point in taking such a short test ride. At 1PM it was not overcrowded but was chaotic nonetheless. Showroom guys seemed out of their depth. They looked like students who had walked into an exam unprepared.
Bikes look great and if it was available off the shelf I'd have picked one up.
Roy.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 15:29   #492
BHPian

Visited the Baner road showroom today. Test rides have begun but not on road. They have a small strip of open ground close to the showroom where they offer about 200m of test ride.

The showroom was very crowded today. Much more than the RE showroom next door. This seems to be a good strategy by Mahindra. A lot of people visiting the RE showroom were walking into Jawa one as well.

There was a huge multi-hour wait for this micro test ride. Decided to skip. I briefly sat on the display bike and posture seems to be all day comfortable.
Per the sales people, they will start proper test rides from second week January. Also the wait period for the bikes in now 6 months!!
Mahindra seem to have a winner on their hands.

Last edited by timuseravan : 23rd December 2018 at 15:41.
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 10:14   #493
BHPian

Spotted this blue Jawa y'day near basvangudi and oh! I was taken back in time. Since this is the first time I am seeing it in substance, initial feeling is "what a bike" Would like to get one along with my newly restored RX100...
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh-jawa2.jpg  

sumathindra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 11:00   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
On one hand, it is very encouraging to see that Mahindra is taking feedback on it's product positively and looking to be agile enough to put up a strong fight to the undisputed segment leader.
Honestly I feel the same, it seems to be a total chaotic show. Possibly they might be using Agile Methodology and after every sprint of 15 days there is a change in the game plan.

How can they display Pre-Production Bikes to general public and more importantly how did the media buy? Nobody can hold them responsible if there are major changes done both to the engine or chassis or any other specifications. It just seems like smokes n mirrors at this point in time.

Jawa has such a huge brand recall and with this kinda display am not sure how long it can last. Acknowledge Mr Mahindra does have huge pockets but end of the day he is a businessman who is more keen to make his cut.

Am yet to visit the showroom even to see the pre-production display simply cause it is waste of time. What suppose if they make a complete change in plans and design?

On the Contrary, I think they should be given time to settle down but there was no need for them to play around with the sentiments by launching a half baked product which has still not seen the final iteration.

Not sure how many kms will they test the bike before it is launched or will Classic Legends take a leaf out of Mahindra to use the first set of customers as guinea pigs?

Last edited by ku69rd : 24th December 2018 at 11:01.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 13:04   #495
BHPian

On the topic of exhaust note , the old jawa was a 2 stroke that revved at a different rpm from the present 4 strokes. It is simply not possible to match exhaust note.

What they can match / improve is the ride comfort. I don't know if any one noticed one very characteristic feature of jawa/yezdi I.e. both kick and gear in a single shaft. One more thing , I am pretty sure that in the short chaotic visit to the overcrowded showroom, no one would have checked if the new jawa has the drive sprocket on the left rather than the older ones that had them on the right.

Something that few old time owners only can spot.
srini1785 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks