Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2017, 18:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: TVS Akula 310 unveiled

Official Product Video

Making of apache 310

@Mods we have two threads, guess good to merge them.
AtheK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 20:01   #17
BHPian

Re: TVS Apache RR 310 launched at Rs. 2.05 lakh

For the first time in 6 years of my CBR250R ownership, this bike gives me the itch to upgrade. It looks like it packs a 600cc heart.

Last edited by sidhu_hs : 6th December 2017 at 20:02.
sidhu_hs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 20:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
Pricing of the TVS Apache RR310 against it's rivals.
Superb looking machine, perfect dimensions, only thing I don't like is the silencer design. Overall, hats off to TVS for delivering this beauty!

However, don't agree with the Autocar table "rivals". I feel it will go up against the faired bikes KTM RC, R3, Ninja 300, Benelli 302R, CBR 250 etc.

Don't see a major shift from guys going in for the Dukes of the world or the Dominar 400 as they cater to different needs/viewpoints. The odd one may be there which would be an absolute heart decision.

Cheers
Old 6th December 2017, 21:07   #19
BHPian

Here is the Powerdrift review:

And Zigwheels review:

Last edited by PraNeel : 6th December 2017 at 21:10.
PraNeel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 21:07   #20
Team-BHP Support

And now, from Powerdrift -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 21:11   #21
BHPian

2 lacs for a 300cc? That's KTM levels of maximum-bang-for-your-buck already!
Old 6th December 2017, 21:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Official Product Video

Making of apache 310
Thanks for the "making of" video: it shows the engine layout very clearly.

Could someone please enlighten me about the reverse inclined engine?

If it is so advantageous, why is this the only Indian motorcycle to have it? Why isn't such a configuration not seen more commonly? Are there any drawbacks to it?

Per this link, This layout lowers the CG and allows a longer swingarm for the same wheelbase.

Lowering the CG is readily understandable, but what are the advantages of a longer swingarm?
Sorry if this is a noob question, (I wish Dilip Bam had been around to help a layman like me understand the motorcycle dynamics of the RR310.)

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th December 2017 at 16:10. Reason: Removing videos from within the quote
Old 6th December 2017, 21:34   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazd View Post
Could someone please enlighten me about the reverse inclined engine?

If it is so advantageous, why is this the only Indian motorcycle to have it? Why isn't such a configuration not seen more commonly? Are there any drawbacks to it?

This layout lowers the CG and allows a longer swingarm for the same wheelbase.

Lowering the CG is readily understandable, but what are the advantages of a longer swingarm?
Sorry if this is a noob question, (I wish Dilip Bam had been around to help a layman like me understand the motorcycle dynamics of the RR310.)
Here is my few paise worth -

Reverse inclination of the engine - This was actually shown first on the 310GS and hence must be the brains of the BMW engineers. Having the engine inclined towards the rear allowed them to have more centralized mass and also take the exhaust clean towards the rear of the bike. May not be revolutionary tech, but if it helps the bike handle - so be it.

Results of a longer swingarm is a long and debatable topic as far as I know - as there can be multiple parameters that increase or decrease the performance of a motorcycle along the swingarm.
One simple action that I know of is that it will result in better straight-line stability. Not even attempting to explain the effect in cornering, and would be happy if some experts can explain the same with respect to the suspension geometry of the RTR 310.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 21:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

It looks absolutely yummy in both colors. The pricing is the cherry on top. Credit to TVS for including ABS (dual channel) by default and the Michelins too.

Now just level those seats and get a commuter version ready. I'll try my best to convince my family that I need this The rear is set too high IMO.

Hopefully TVS are able to manufacture enough bikes for sale. Also should look at getting a version without the fairing but the rest of the features intact.

Their website is a sorry state of affair. There is no Apache listed in the Motorcycles section. What about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post

Apache has it's own website.

https://www.tvsapache.com/
Edit: Seems like they have their own website. But would like to have a link to it on the TVS Motors webpage.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 6th December 2017 at 21:46. Reason: new info arrived
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 21:38   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

PD review is out, and they rate this higher then R3 as an all rounder, that is some apperication. Kudos to team TVS, splendid job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
It looks absolutely yummy in both colors. The pricing is the cherry on top. Credit to TVS for including ABS (dual channel) by default and the Michelins too.

Now just level those seats and get a commuter version ready. I'll try my best to convince my family that I need this The rear is set too high IMO.

Hopefully TVS are able to manufacture enough bikes for sale. Also should look at getting a version without the fairing but the rest of the features intact.

Their website is a sorry state of affair. There is no Apache listed in the Motorcycles section. What about that?
Apache has it's own website.

https://www.tvsapache.com/

Last edited by AtheK : 6th December 2017 at 21:39.
AtheK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 23:28   #26
BHPian

If only they sold this in the USA....slots very nicely between the GSX250, RC390 and Ninja 300 (Soon to be 400). Would also be a sweet bike in the new RC cup classes Motoamerica is running (open to sub 400cc displacement)
Bhatman510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 00:39   #27
BHPian

Seems to be a good product but they could have kept it under 2 lakhs as a limited introductory pricing, and later on increased it, like how some other brands do.
That would have given an initial impression of a real value-for-money package to majority of the people, and not everyone keeps track of the price hikes later on.

The decals on the sides say "35 years of TVS racing", but still it is ironic that they needed the help of BMW to come up with a small single cylinder 300cc engine, with all that racing heritage of these many years!
And that too without slipper-clutch & ride-by-wire, when the competiton is already offering it in their products.
Can't figure out why they couldn't manage to incorporate those features, even with BMW's assistance.

This is the bike that TVS should have launched atleast 5 years ago, on their own, without any input from BMW.
That would have made more sense and added greater value and meaning to the "35 years " claim.

Nonetheless, the product seems to be well-built and good looking, and the feature specs are also not bad.
But this not so impressive initial pricing, the relatively non-aggressive marketing model of TVS, and their usual phase-by-phase roll-out strategy in different zones - all these makes me wonder how tough it will be for this TVS product to survive the competition.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 01:10   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Here is the Powerdrift review:
Powerdrift tests 0-100 kmph in 6.28s. Guess it's a good number. Plus they also rate this better than R3 in terms of versatility.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th December 2017 at 01:11.
Old 7th December 2017, 01:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

Well is it only me who’s being reminded of a Ducati with this Red bike on the race track? Paint quality is top notch I feel looking at them in these videos. Besides, TVS has filled the gap that was long open for more than a decade as they were just playing around 100-200cc segment. They’ve just filled the gaps at the right time and I’m sure KTM will now be rethinking about the price tags they’ve on offer. TVS has priced it competitively I feel.

I somehow feel the rabid racoon is still the hot cake because of its fierce acceleration amongst the enthusiasts. But yes Apache 310 is a good looking bike which is not at all late for the party. TVS has managed to strike the balance. Let’s see how it goes from now.

2 things that I disliked;
- Disproportionate silencer
- 5 spoke thick alloy feels not so welcoming to the eye

PS:
Oh, btw where’s Bajaj? They’re comfortable with their recent launches? but where is the bigger Pulsar, Mr Rajiv had promised

Last edited by gururajrv : 7th December 2017 at 01:34.
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 07:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Man oh man. Finally!

For a company with the longest history for two wheeler motor racing in India, you'd expect them to have got into the game a lot sooner. For me, the Pulsar or those KTM missiles should have come from TVS. Not Bajaj.

TVS just died after the Shogun and Shaolin. The Fiero and Apache were hopeless (Yes; the first Fiero was fast and ugly). The next generation Apache was better but not good enough to go charging with Bajaj and KTM. TVS just ended up being followers.

The RR is stunning. You'd easily mistake it for a baby Ducati when it comes to the looks. It has technical brilliance where it counts the most. I feel they are one up on KTM too.

Forget the price. This motorcycle is going to wake up everyone in the segment.
sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks