Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2019, 23:06   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I cannot understand why Royal Enfield would give a free helmet with every bike, but not give the buyers the choice to choose the helmet they want

What kind of helmet are they offering?
Old 2nd January 2019, 23:11   #257
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Usually its the half-face helmet which is not really a good choice for safety. It looks like this :
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-royalenfieldclassiccamojetmlghelmetmattblack1_800x.jpg

I wish they give proper full-face helmets for the 650 Twin customers atleast.. It's not too much of a price difference anyway.

Last edited by Funny : 2nd January 2019 at 23:13.
Funny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 00:02   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Not sure what they are saying about, my GT 650 got this done at service yesterday, they did do it very seriously though! Lets wait for other owners feedback and experience.
What did they do? Please specify and post pictures of the rust and the treatment if you took any.

Thanks Pramod.

Cheers
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:41   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
What did they do? Please specify and post pictures of the rust and the treatment if you took any.

Thanks Pramod.

Cheers

There was no rust and I didn't complaint, I got a call from service to get a precautionary measure recommended and approved by Royal Enfield on my bike.

They applied some solution at wielded joints on both the exhaust. Will take picture when I ride the bike again.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:57   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Usually its the half-face helmet which is not really a good choice for safety.
I wish they give proper full-face helmets for the 650 Twin customers atleast.. It's not too much of a price difference anyway.
Yes exactly. And to make it worse, I am not being allowed to even pay the difference and go for the full face helmet! I already have three full-face helmets at home (one belongs to my wife) and we really see no point with a half-face helmet, as it simply does not serve the purpose of safety.
If at all they give me no choice and gift me the half-face helmet, I will probably use it for a retro-themed photo-shoot and then gift it away to someone.
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:19   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
They applied some solution at wielded joints on both the exhaust. Will take picture when I ride the bike again.

-Pramod
Got these pictures from a friend who owns an interceptor. The weld joint seems to be rusting and they are doing patchwork with a coat of spray to prevent further oxidation. Doesn't this seem like a quality issue with the SS welding process that warrants replacement of the part? I hope I'm wrong, else I'm really disappointed.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20190103wa0006.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20190103wa0007.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20190103wa0004.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20190103wa0005.jpg  

param22k is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:56   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Got these pictures from a friend who owns an interceptor. The weld joint seems to be rusting and they are doing patchwork with a coat of spray to prevent further oxidation. Doesn't this seem like a quality issue with the SS welding process that warrants replacement of the part? I hope I'm wrong, else I'm really disappointed.
These rust issues existed even in the test ride bikes. Apart from the joint in the pics, the area around the exhaust tips also had a brown residue that looked like rust.
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:00   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
I strongly believe spraying the rusted part is not the solution. RE really needs to improve their quality. Even at these mouth watering prices twins are considered to be premium motorcycles. Rust within a month doesn't offer a lot of confidence. I guess I am going to watch the developments in this regard and delay taking delivery of my Baker Express INT650 in a hope that they will fix this issue at factory level in future batches.

I absolutely love my Classic 350 despite having many quality issues. I have managed to keep it rust free for 3 years and counting. For the sheer pleasure it offers every time I ride it, I don't mind spending some extra time and effort in maintaining it. But I don't think I can afford extra time for maintaining two of them. I'm looking forward to having a relatively easier ownership.
LazyGunner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:13   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
I strongly believe spraying the rusted part is not the solution. RE really needs to improve their quality. Even at these mouth watering prices twins are considered to be premium motorcycles. Rust within a month doesn't offer a lot of confidence. I guess I am going to watch the developments in this regard and delay taking delivery of my Baker Express INT650 in a hope that they will fix this issue at factory level in future batches.

I absolutely love my Classic 350 despite having many quality issues. I have managed to keep it rust free for 3 years and counting. For the sheer pleasure it offers every time I ride it, I don't mind spending some extra time and effort in maintaining it. But I don't think I can afford extra time for maintaining two of them. I'm looking forward to having a relatively easier ownership.
True - they are indeed being seen and sold as a premium offering. I've received 2 calls from RE folks since my message to them on Facebook.

I'm riding a CBR right now and have a rather fill it and ride it attitude towards bikes - I do take it for chain tightening or getting strange sounds checked when they happen, but don't really want to "learn" too much about maintaining a bike, if you know what I mean

How does one delay delivery? I wouldn't mind waiting another month or two - no rush at all, really.
zenx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 18:24   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
How does one delay delivery? I wouldn't mind waiting another month or two - no rush at all, really.
When we get a call come and make full payment, I guess we can just say will take it in the next batch. My friend booked a Himalayan and had a ligament rupture just 2 weeks after that. Can't ride at least for another 6 months. They have called him 4-5 times in the last three months asking if he can take delivery and he has been postponing it.

From my understanding, here is what happens:
Dealer will have a list of bookings in a certain order for each vehicle. Every time they receive a batch of bikes, they allot them to the people in the list according to the order and start calling. If I say I can't/don't want to take it now, they'll allot it to the next person in the list. My seniority in the waiting list is still maintained and in the next batch I will be offered first. Also, our seniority is not affected when we change color because in the list only model of the vehicle is considered but not the color. I'm not sure if there is a threshold to number of times we can delay the allotment.

Somebody please correct, if I'm wrong.

Last edited by LazyGunner : 3rd January 2019 at 18:27.
LazyGunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 09:38   #266
BHPian

Overdrive has started a long term review of the Interceptor 650 by Shumi.

First part of the review is up on the website. More to follow.

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/f...-introduction/

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th January 2019 at 09:47. Reason: Typo
thumpmeister is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 16:51   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello all,

I had a test ride of the Interceptor 650 today. I wanted to ride the Continental GT 650 but the test ride bike was unavailable.

Here are my observations after a rather short test ride of 6 km. Please note that my observations are in direct comparison with my 2017 KTM RC 390, and hence my standards are pretty high in most aspects.

1. Bike looks fantastic. At the same time, if you are after attention, it doesn't stand out.

2. It's a pretty big bike when parked. Meaning, you don't feel the size at all once you are on it.

3. Refinement is as comparable to a Japanese 300 cc twin (felt as good as the R3).

4. You can ride as low as 1800 rpm in the city and the engine won't even complain. Perfect for stop go traffic. No need to shift gears often like the KTM. My 390 is as upset as a nagging wife below 3000 rpm. Rideability of the 650 twin is superb, just like the refinement.

5. Slick gearbox!

6. Brakes are very good. It is not as good as the KTM 390 twins(2017+ variants). But it is definitely better than the R3.

7. Bike is NOT heavy. It is surprisingly nimble for a 200+ kg motorcycle. Continental GT 650 is gonna be even better.

8. Power delivery is very linear. If you are after the "surge" of power that one might get from the KTM 390 twins, you will be disappointed.

9. I felt the rev limiter hits too early. Naturally, 7500 rpm isn't a big number, but then while ripping the bike, it somehow feels that you have to upshift prematurely because the limiter takes a dump on your joy.

10. It is still a fast bike. Just not as exciting as the KTM. I am not complaining. It does 100 kmph before you know it.

11. Above average handling for a big bike(can't even compare the RC390 or even the Duke 390 here, they are leagues ahead). But turning radius might kick your butt, specially if you are riding in a crowded metro.

12. Build quality, paint quality, feel of touch and sight is just excellent.

13. That stupid crank case is enormous and fouls with my right foot. I had a tough time reaching for the rear brake as my foot was hitting the crank case first.

13. Exhaust note is sweet. Not too brash, not too soft. It sounds like "hey I am a gentleman, but I can also knock you out within 2 seconds and dump your body by the gutter". It sounds like it wants you to know it has power lurking inside.

14. Engine braking was quite stronger than in other motorcycles.

15. Ride quality is excellent! Absorbs potholes and bumps like its nothing. (reminding you again that all these observations are wrt my 2017 RC 390)

I went for the test ride secretly hoping that it would excite me and I would trade in my 2017 KTM RC 390 for the Continental GT650. But looks like it isnt going to happen. Sure, the 650 twin is better than the KTM in refinement and ride quality. But for someone seeking unadulterated thrill and fun from the motorcycle, 650 twins just won't cut it.

Ok, now let's talk about the bike, not as a KTM 390 user, but as a person who is interested in the 650 twins.

Verdict:
Best Royal Enfield, ever!
Refined, comfortable, premium, excellent braking, superb gear box, ABS, grippy tyres, understated yet elegant looks, beautiful exhaust note, Can cruise at 120 all day
You can do better "hyper-riding" than the Dominar 400, sure there is a 1 lakh price premium , but boy, it sure is worth it. 650 twin is a much much better motorcycle, in all ways

And let's not forget the extremely VFM price tag. New KTM RC 390/ Duke 390 retail at 2.85 lakhs OTR in Trichy. Base model Interceptor 650 is just 4k more expensive. So, if you are into touring, or into casual riding, and don't want something as edgy as the KTM 390s, the Royal Enfield 650 twins are a much better choice.

Just don't take the number "650cc" very seriously. It doesn't feel like a 650. It feels like a proper 300cc twin in all ways. Royal Enfield has done an amazing job with these two bikes. I don't even complain about 650 being as fast as Japanese 300s. To be as refined, premium and as fast as Japanese 300s is a great feat in itself. And at a price tag much lower than the Ninja 300 and R3, the 650 twins make more sense than either of the Japs, provided they are as reliable as the Japs.

Time for some pictures :

It is a big bike! I am a big guy, (6'2, 112kg) and the bike doesn't look small under me.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190105_1505068482.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190105_1511349752.jpg

A few pics with my 2017 KTM RC 390. Perfect opposite characters of orange here

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190105_1504369342.jpg

I prefer the KTM though

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190105_1504317252.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190105_150446613_hdr2.jpg

And look at the enormous crankcase protruding so much that your foot won't reach the rear brake pedal until you get used to the ergonomics. Mine's a size 12 shoe.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190105_1505068483.jpg

If I have to use the rear brake, my foot has to come forward. If it does, it first rubs the crankcase before it reaches the brake pedal.

Finally the biggest USP of RE 650 twins is this:
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190105_155832983.jpg
A right bike at the right price!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 5th January 2019 at 17:20.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 18:54   #268
Senior - BHPian

Finally had a rather brief Test Ride of the Interceptor. The engine is the pièce de résistance. It sounds glorious, it pulls brilliantly, there are no vibrations. There is nothing much I can add to what has already been written about it. I intend to buy a Hayabusa, a pre-owned example. Though I am not sure when will that happen. This motorcycle could be a great step gap arrangement till that happen.

PS: GT looks way better in person, It would have been my choice in Ice Queen shade but I think I won't be able to manage the more committed riding posture.

The bike is big but I somehow managed to make it look rather average sized with my big frame (127 Kg, 6 Feet).
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-whatsapp-image-20190107-18.41.11.jpeg  

BANDHAV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 12:19   #269
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the paint mods have started. Someone shared this image with me. Looks really swell.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-image15.png  

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 13:55   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Looks like the paint mods have started. Someone shared this image with me. Looks really swell.
This is actually from a custom Interceptor concept that was showcased at the Royal Enfield Rider Mania event that happened at Goa sometime in November last year. Not too sure, but I guess this concept was by Bulleteer customs.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20181116wa0050.jpg

Last edited by aravind.anand : 8th January 2019 at 14:07.
aravind.anand is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks