Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2022, 15:20   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_rock098 View Post
Yup I do understand that what I meant was more in the sense why is Mahindra delaying the bikes to the media when given the initial reactions the bikes are only going to review well and will help them build up hype around the product. Without that these might just die out like how Jawa did.
I give 100 times more credence to individual reviews than any of the media reviews. Even though I know some of the old school testers personally.

At worst with individual reviews, the guy can't ride. But see enough of them and a trend starts emerging.

Not like the media reviews where a few key buzzwords are repeated.

Like magically all 3 reviews on the TRK 251 find a stubborn gearbox and vibey motor.

And widely varying acceleration times.

Not one mentions the fact that a 250 cc motor is powering the bike to a genuine one and a half ton top end.

Maybe the competition is better. At something.

Have you ever found two media channels of repute giving diametrically different views of a car or bike?

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 25th January 2022 at 15:36.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 17:20   #137
BHPian

Re: Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Simple reason: Mainstream media review hasn't happened yet or there is an embargo for sometime. Mainstream media cannot go to showrooms and take random test rides for their articles/videos, that's not how it works. They will have to wait for the manufacturer to conduct a media review event. So, we will have to wait for it a bit longer.
What is stopping mainstream media from doing that? Sure, it is convenient when the manufacturer invites you and arranges for everything but isn’t it their responsibility to report on these things whether manufacturer invites them or not? If they would wait forever to get an invite before reviewing then only purpose they seem to be serving is being another PR arm of the manufacturer. They aren’t doing independent work for the consumers.
rarkit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 18:07   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarkit View Post
...then only purpose they seem to be serving is being another PR arm of the manufacturer. They aren’t doing independent work for the consumers.
Frankly, I think that sadly pretty much sums up most auto mags these days. Including some that used to be really great before. Or at best, they shy away from calling out the bad things about a bike anymore. I wish it weren't so, but when all prominent auto mags praise a bike manufacturer for yet another sticker job or a +50cc "upgrade", how does one take them seriously anymore. But I do miss the quality of writing and editorial brevity that a professional magazine brings. The problem with most user reviews/videos online is that they just go on forever. And often the focus is on the reviewer who wants to become a youtube star than on the bike! Difficult to find the good ones among a sea of reviews. Good balance would be forums like this one. User generated content based on personal experience and non-paid for, but still curated and moderated to some extent. Hopefully we'll see more official Tbhp reviews for bikes going forward.

Last edited by am1m : 25th January 2022 at 18:08.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 18:58   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I give 100 times more credence to individual reviews than any of the media reviews. Even though I know some of the old school testers personally.

At worst with individual reviews, the guy can't ride. But see enough of them and a trend starts emerging.

Not like the media reviews where a few key buzzwords are repeated.

Like magically all 3 reviews on the TRK 251 find a stubborn gearbox and vibey motor.

And widely varying acceleration times.

Not one mentions the fact that a 250 cc motor is powering the bike to a genuine one and a half ton top end.

Maybe the competition is better. At something.

Have you ever found two media channels of repute giving diametrically different views of a car or bike?

Cheers, Doc
It can go the opposite way too. Most of the non professional people just read out the specs of the motorcycles and say everything is good. All comparisons are also based on specs and not actually riding it. I can't remember the last time a non professional say anything bad about the bike. Like you said about the Gearbox point which was raised by media guys, atleast they raised it. Don't think those random wannabe youtubers would have posted anything more than the specs of the bike.I would know more about the bike from watching Powerdrift or our forums than some random biker_Nilesh, monkey_on_wheels youtuber.

Last edited by i_rock098 : 25th January 2022 at 19:01.
Old 25th January 2022, 19:10   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_rock098 View Post
It can go the opposite way too. Most of the non professional people just read out the specs of the motorcycles and say everything is good. All comparisons are also based on specs and not actually riding it. I can't remember the last time a non professional say anything bad about the bike. Like you said about the Gearbox point which was raised by media guys, atleast they raised it. Don't think those random wannabe Youtubers would have posted anything more than the specs of the bike.
Yes buddy, in you tube videos you do have to sift through the grain and the chaff. I'm talking about a rider review and not a spec review. Oftentimes you will get onboard shots without a music soundtrack that tell you a lot more than just the words coming out of the reviewer's mouth. In media reviews you get professional angles of a cameraman shooting the rider. With a voiceover edit. Or an off bike monologue.

Bottom line is it's a business. The days of unbiased reporting are long over. Those started getting killed when the likes of big manufacturers started boycotting outspoken guys like Dilip Bam and his access to bikes dried up. As did his stint with big print.

I've been seeing this since the early 90s. I have no illusions left on that score ... not to mention that most reviewers now were either born in the 90s or later. Nothing against that per se. A good rider is a good rider at any age ... but there too you can make out very quickly from the few fancy curated shots how good the rider really is. Just by how he sits the bike.

A lot of the really old big names are very guarded about their opinions even in private with all except their most inner circle. It's a job.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 25th January 2022 at 19:34.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 22:27   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
6. The footpegs on the Adventure did foul my shins while walking the bike in traffic. I ended up ripping my jeans while trying to plant my foot further out to avoid hitting the footpeg.
Thanks for sharing Shumi_21, that was very useful. Did you face the same issue with the Scrambler? Also,do you have any pictures of the yellow Scrambler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Yezdi launch is exciting, due to this excitement I went to have a TD at my local Java/Yezdi. Only a Roadster was available for TD. I am more interested in trying out their ADV bike. I asked a TD of their Roadster, and the SE was ready to accompany me as a pillion. I protested against it, they said it's a company policy.
The local Mahindra showroom had this ridiculous policy earlier and they were losing out on potential sales because of this. Eventually, I heard that they relented. It really is quite silly that they insist on having the sales advisor as a pillion when none of their competitors do.

Quote:
What is stopping mainstream media from doing that? Sure, it is convenient when the manufacturer invites you and arranges for everything but isn’t it their responsibility to report on these things whether manufacturer invites them or not? If they would wait forever to get an invite before reviewing then only purpose they seem to be serving is being another PR arm of the manufacturer. They aren’t doing independent work for the consumers.
At least from what I can gather, shooting a 10 minute review takes a lot of time and effort by the media companies. Assuming that most of them are based out of Bombay or Pune, will the existing showrooms just hand over the regular test bikes to the media or will they use them for walk ins who are interested in the bike and will make immediate bookings?

That said, Im a little surprised that Mahindra hasnt organized a media event for the 3 bikes. Could it be because of the current onslaught of Covid? My guess is that Mahindra started production of the bikes from January 1st and timed the launch and initial dispatches accordingly. The media test rides may be an unfortunate circumstance of timing or Covid. Mahindra has nothing to gain and everything to lose by not arranging for the test rides to the media.

I find the Indian motorcycle media to be fairly balanced. Sometimes you have to know the difference between what is being said and what is not being said, to fully understand the review but fair play to them. Usually I avoid all the unknown Youtuber content from Indian motorcycle enthusiasts but the Scrambler had me interested. So I watched a couple of videos and soon I figured out the shared technique.

Step 1 : Introduction. "Hey guys, today we are in the Jawa showroom to check out the exciting new bikes from Mahindra etc etc.
Step 2 : Walk around and parrot the specifications. Throw in superlatives for the fit and finish of the bike.
Step 3 : Test ride time. Make it sound like the bike has the perfect mix of acceleration of a litre class bike, handling of a supersports bike, comfort of an adv tourer, brakes of a WSBK race bike, turning radius of a bicycle, fit and finish of an exotic etc.
Step 4 : Return to showroom. More superlatives. End video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Ram View Post
Sounds like the first impressions from Interceptor test rides. That was the first thing I noticed when I test rode Interceptor and it felt really odd. Now I'm so much used to it that I had actually forgotten about it until I read your observation on the scrambler. I know you are just stating your observation and not indicating it's a deal breaker or anything. Just adding my point that it's easy to get used to in case anyone has apprehensions about the footpegs position.
Haha yes. Incidentally, while everyone had some initial difficulty with the footpegs of the Interceptor and GT 650, I was completely at home on them in the showroom and on test rides. So maybe its just me!
neil.jericho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 23:13   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Well they can do that, often dont due to the fact that they have prior agreement with the manufacturer or dont want to get in trouble with the manufacture. There are only a few instances where mainstream media used bikes from owners instead of manufacturer, as far as I remember during the review CB300R, Bike India used owners bike for review instead of getting it from Honda mainly because of unavailability of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
At least from what I can gather, shooting a 10 minute review takes a lot of time and effort by the media companies. Assuming that most of them are based out of Bombay or Pune, will the existing showrooms just hand over the regular test bikes to the media or will they use them for walk ins who are interested in the bike and will make immediate bookings?
Actually thats what Powerdrift did for Yamaha Aerox 155 review. Shumi (Shubhabrata Marmar) was at the Royal Enfield Continental GT Cup for the race, and Yamaha had a demo bike just at a nearby showroom and told Shumi to review that.

Quote:
Step 3 : Test ride time. Make it sound like the bike has the perfect mix of acceleration of a litre class bike, handling of a supersports bike, comfort of an adv tourer, brakes of a WSBK race bike, turning radius of a bicycle, fit and finish of an exotic etc.

This is why I dont watch most bike reviews.

Last edited by Black_Star : 25th January 2022 at 23:16.
Black_Star is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 09:30   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Star View Post
Actually thats what Powerdrift did for Yamaha Aerox 155 review. Shumi (Shubhabrata Marmar) was at the Royal Enfield Continental GT Cup for the race, and Yamaha had a demo bike just at a nearby showroom and told Shumi to review that.
What I meant is the showrooms in Bombay / Pune themselves may not be too eager to lose their test ride bike to the media (without a mandate / push from the company) for so many days in a row, when there is massive demand from for test rides from walk in and potential buyers.

Shumi's case was different from what I mentioned earlier because he was in Coimbatore for a week and Yamaha managed to arrange a test ride bike from a local dealership to coincide with his stay. It wasnt the local dealership willingly giving their test bike for a video shoot.
neil.jericho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 16:03   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The Scrambler is such a beauty to look at man .... (control)
Believe me Doc, it's even more fun to ride.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing Shumi_21, that was very useful. Did you face the same issue with the Scrambler? Also,do you have any pictures of the yellow Scrambler?
My shins did not hit the footpegs on the Scrambler at all. IIRC, the pegs are a little rearset and higher on the Scrambler compared to the Adventure. No pictures of the Yellow Scrambler unfortunately, as the dealership had only the Green and silver bike. I decided the Yellow looks best via the 360° view option on Yezdi's website
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 17:49   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
Believe me Doc, it's even more fun to ride.
All Hindi movies of the 70s and 80s had at least one chase sequence with either a jeep, an Ambassador, a Bullet or a 2 stroke scrambler type bike (usually ridden by the goons, who finally come to a gory end).

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 22:40   #146
BHPian

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-yezdi.jpeg
My pick from today? The one with my lid on it!

The local Jawa-Yezdi dealership asked me if I would be interested in riding the new Yezdis off road and volunteering for an event for them. I am not being paid, but I have full access to the Scrambler and the Adventure for two days. Today, I rode them for the first time. Here's what I think.

The Adventure : I hated the design when it came out (so uninspiring, copying elements from the Himalayan, X). Motorcycles mean a lot more to me than just how they are technically, and something like the Adventure will never appeal to me. That said, it impressed me today. I was reluctant to ride it at first, preferring to spend my time with the Scrambler. When I did hop on it, my feelings changed. I still don't love it, but it's a very competent motorcycle. I have ridden a Himayalan extensively (and loved it, mostly). However, I can confidently say that I would take the Adventure, with no character and design language, over the current Himalayan (especially with all its issues). The Adventure has been tuned to be as impressive on road as well, and I didn't even try that today. In terms of feel, it's very similar to the Scrambler. It seemed to be lacking the initial punch, it feels a bit more tedious in technical sections, the brakes were mushier on the one I tested...but that's mostly it. I am not a fan of the busy cockpit and this isn't the best bike ergonomically when riding off road. Bad roads, flowy trails, mixed pavement tours should feel amazing. It does seem to heat up more than the Scrambler, but it's all very manageable. I did stall it a couple of times (the Scram didn't).

The Scrambler: The Scrambler stole my heart. I got off my XPulse, had a good look and turned it on with very standard expectations. It surpassed all of them and how! It took me two minutes to get comfortable with it, and then it was all throttle wide open. I rode through deep sand, gravel, went into ditches and took jumps. The bike did not stutter once. You ride a wave of torque as this Yezdi glides through everything. It carries its weight very well, I had no problems in leaning the bike almost as much as the XPulse when doing 0s and 8s. I have ridden a modified Himalayan with competetion level Pirellis and the Scramler had more grip.

The front suspension is on the stiffer side, and you do need to stand up if you want to ride any sort of an off road trail. There isn't a lot of room to move around like the Himalayan but if you do get the standing right, the bike feels one with the body. Ground clearance was a little bit of an issue, but I was probably pushing it more than what it's designed for.

This is me on the Scrambler. Unfortunately, the only time that they got it on camera is when I endo-ed it. Recovering from this wasn't too much of an issue. The bike landed on its nose, maintainted its stride and went on to the next ditch a few feet away.
Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-yezdi1.jpeg
Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-yezdi2.jpeg
The engine is great. It picks rigt up from the low end (especially on the Scrambler) and delivers power very linearly. Until the midrange, the vibrations are very controlled. Past that, if you gun it, you will feel it in the pegs and the bar, but it doesn't mind being revved out. Gearshifts are very precise and smooth, but shifting on the fly was difficult with MX boots. I was riding the Scram like I ride my XPulse.

We went all out on these bikes today for an hour and a half, and even though it's way too early to even start a discussion on reliability, the bikes seem very well made.

The Scrambler has my heart. The Adventure comes very close, but the design ruins it for me. These bikes aren't posers. They can scramble and adventure.

I get to spend more time with them tomorrow (other riders will be coming in to test them off road and I will be one of the riders guiding them) and I am so excited. I will pen down another post once I have collected all my thoughts and have ruminated over them.

Doc, this post is for you. Your predictions came true, these bikes are neat.

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 29th January 2022 at 22:44.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 22:50   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
The Scrambler has my heart. The Adventure comes very close, but the design ruins it for me. These bikes aren't posers. They can scramble and adventure.

I get to spend more time with them tomorrow (other riders will be coming in to test them off road and I will be one of the riders guiding them) and I am so excited. I will pen down another post once I have collected all my thoughts and have ruminated over them.

Doc, this post is for you. Your predictions came true, these bikes are neat.

Neel
Brilliant report Neel. If this is your short and seat of the pants shoot from the hips report, then please don't bother with a lengthy detailed one. It will likely come off second best!

I saw the video you sent me on WhatsApp and it confirmed everything I thought the Scrambler would be. What I (and Karan to a more dedicated extreme extent) have tried to make our Duke 390s into. But with a weaker engine. But who cares when it looks like a million bucks and is tuned to go off road so much better.

I don't see anyone complaining about a 140 top end on the long highway slogs to get to the fun parts.

If anything, the tank range "might" be an issue. No one yet knows how these bikes drink.

Seat, luggage and lights should not be an issue too in making it one of India's best all round tourers ... at least for solo riding.

Looking forward to Part 2 tomorrow. So happy you liked it.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 29th January 2022 at 23:09.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 16:31   #148
BHPian

Probably, I went for a test drive with over expectations, I.wasnt impressed at all after my test drive at 9th block Jayanagar, Bangalore showroom..

Here are few.points
1. Initially throttle performance is good in comparison to RE Meteor, however ride experience on Meteor is like butter smooth, while roadster is very rough and not refined. Also, ADVENTURE which I test ride, had a constant noise from its chains and some rattle. Didn't try Scrambler, as I was very clearly not looking for it.
2. In case your idea is touring bike (I am looking for one), Roadster is a confused ergonomics...it's neither here nor there. Power delivery is uneven too...but better than Adventure.
3. Big problem I saw...Gears don't slot well. On the dashboard it showed gear is in 0 or neutral, and then opened the clutch. Bike simply jumped, stalled and fell. I wasn't hurt thankfully, but had to pay for minor damages, for none of my fault. At this price point if Yezdi can't get their gear shifts right, then they will never get it.

So, for me Yezdi Roadster or Adventure is big no. I am better of paying little more and get better machines on road.
ssbshankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 11:28   #149
Senior - BHPian

LOL

First the TRK.

Now the Scrambler too ...

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 1st February 2022 at 11:51.
Old 1st February 2022, 11:28   #150
BHPian

The PowerDrift first ride review is out.

I really enjoy PD stuff, but I can't comprehend why this video has such a negative undertone. The forever jokes dont make it any better too. I also didn't see any real off road riding.

I really want people to ride the Scrambler and put in their inputs. I can't be the only one who feels that this is a well-sorted bike.

I actually really enjoyed the stiff suspension on the Scram. It was very, very confidence inspiring. I rode an ADV 390 yesterday as well, on the same track as the Yezdi. The Scrambler (and the Adventure) were way more comfortable than that. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the 390 though, it was quite the hoot.

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 1st February 2022 at 11:30.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks