Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2023, 23:05   #751
BHPian

Re: Triumph Speed 400 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailinder View Post
At that time, I wondered how any dealer could be so careless. After all that, I still mustered courage and booked mine and proved wrong that no matter what, Keerthi is famous for a reason, and they will remain like that. Customer satisfaction does not matter to them.
I understand all the issues with non responsiveness with Triumph showrooms. But again they are getting used to a new change in management and sales they never expected. Infact I had the same problem with them. But they are expanding a lot and are being handled by few KTM executives. Like the one in Whitefield. Keerthi is also opening an speed exclusive showroom in JP nagar. Maybe these things will settle down and become better with time.

I mean when KTM came up initially in Bangalore, I remeber they treating customers the same way. No one used to even care to speak to you, untill you are ready to book the bike right then. But see how far they have come.
sk_cheek13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 23:43   #752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk_cheek13 View Post
I mean when KTM came up initially in Bangalore, I remeber they treating customers the same way. No one used to even care to speak to you, untill you are ready to book the bike right then. But see how far they have come.
I acknowledge your point and mentioned in my earlier posts that they are overwhelmed by the response they are getting. Moreover, I am not paying any less than any individual booked during the initial phase. As a buyer, I have every right to the "right" treatment. Why would any customer compromise on the buying experience just because the dealer is scaling up? They should scale up before venturing into a mass-market product.

At the end of the day, a bike is a bike - it will take the commuter from A point to B point. It is the experience a rider gets that make thing different.

No hard feelings.
shailinder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 00:22   #753
BHPian

Sooooo, it's here!! I got my very own Triumph Speed 400 today .

Got it delivered at the Pune showroom a day early. I had made the full payment on 4th EOB and they promptly shared me a chassis number at that time, as per my request.
On 5th, I received the SMS from United India for insurance. On 6th, I received the SMS from the RTO confirming that they have recieved the tax amount, and the SMS had the reg number (a number I liked).
On 7th, another RTO message confirming the process is complete. Called the showroom on 8th and they said they can arrange the plates ASAP and I can get it on 9th morning. Phew, that happened quicker than I expected. 4 working days since I made the payment.

There were no issues with the bike except for a minor 1mm rust spot on the pillion footrest sideplate and some minor rust on a nut near the cylinder head exhaust. Both are non structural so the risk is low. I will fix them myself. They said they had put about 3.5L of petrol in the bike but it didnt show in the meter so I went to fill a full tank and sure enough only about 10L fit in. The meter worked fine after that like they said it would.

Took the bike from the showroom to Balewadi for a treat lunch to thank my wife for being so supportive and enthusiastic of this "impulse" purchase. Then we went to a Tekdi for a nature photoshoot with the bike. Overall, a wonderful first ride of about 70 km. Attaching some images at the end of the post for those who want to ogle the bike more.

Just wanted to add one thing. I know I probably ranted the most about the Pune showroom but I have been there thrice now and spoke to 3-4 staff and they are all overworked to hell and back. I do take back some of the harsh words I might have said earlier because it is clear now that there was a lot they didnt know about in the beginning (circa July).
No amount of hiring could have helped them with the onslaught. The process on their end is finally set up now, and they have been able to settle into the rhythm of payments, test rides, queries, deliveries etc. They seem to be working very well now.
I cant imagine the onslaught at Keerthi bangalore because one of the senior SAs in Pune said that bangalore has received at least 1.5-2x the bookings that Pune has! Not trying to diminish what other folks here but I can imagine the difficulty on the other side too.

NOTE TO PUNE FOLKS: I asked about extended warranty and they confirmed we get 2+3 as well but the SA I was dealing with didnt have any document proving so. After asking a senior they confirmed that it is mentioned in the invoice BUT in the showroom copy, not the customer copy. I asked for a copy and they obliged so now I have written proof for the extended warranty. I can post it here if people want but please do ask for such proof since it is not part of the standard docs they hand over. 3 more years is a LOT and nobody will remember you after 2 years so written proof is best. Note that the website still mentions only 2 years of warranty.

Bike pictures:
Triumph Speed 400 Review-1.jpeg
Triumph Speed 400 Review-2.jpeg
Triumph Speed 400 Review-3.jpeg
Triumph Speed 400 Review-4.jpeg
Triumph Speed 400 Review-5.jpeg
Triumph Speed 400 Review-6.jpeg
Triumph Speed 400 Review-7.jpeg
lazyrev is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 08:10   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrev View Post

NOTE TO PUNE FOLKS: I asked about extended warranty and they confirmed we get 2+3 as well but the SA I was dealing with didnt have any document proving so. After asking a senior they confirmed that it is mentioned in the invoice BUT in the showroom copy, not the customer copy. I asked for a copy and they obliged so now I have written proof for the extended warranty. I can post it here if people want but please do ask for such proof since it is not part of the standard docs they hand over. 3 more years is a LOT and nobody will remember you after 2 years so written proof is best. Note that the website still mentions only 2 years of warranty.
Congratulations LazyRev.

The extended warranty part is mentioned here
Triumph Speed 400 Review-pxl_20230910_0236539042.jpg

But the Kilometres are not mentioned anywhere.

Please do share the showroom copy if that mentions something more than this.

Last edited by antz.bin : 10th September 2023 at 08:22.
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 09:54   #755

I booked the S400 on the day price was revealed. It was among the first 10000. I visited Triumph Andheri and paid the full amount on August 2 after a short test ride.

The folks at Andheri showroom was welcoming when I visited. But communication via email, sms or whatsapp was not proactive. If Triumph pays attention to this and works out a good system for customer service through whatsapp a lot of customers will be happy.

I wanted to book a black bike. But somehow ended up with a booking confirmation for a red bike. Andheri guys changed the booking for a black bike. this delayed the delivery, apparently there were fewer black bikes in first lot an dno cancellation, which is understandable.

They asked me if they can transfer the booking to new showroom at Thane. I said yes. My booking from then on was handled by an employee of Thane showroom, who was new. And I felt he is stuck at a wrong place. No excitement about bikes. No thrill about sales. But I care only a little as I wont have to deal with the sales person afterwards.

He could not give me the warranty booklet, owners manual, saying these will be given later. He wasnt aware about the 3 year extended warranty which he said he will check and come back.

The showroom only had s400s. So i had no reason to spend more time. But it would be nice if there were other models.

The black bike looked stunning. I matched the chasis no with RC and checked the engine sound for anything unusual and left the showroom with the bike.

On the way back I could not help but smile. Partly because how nice the bike felt. And partly because how people were nitpicking while giving “feedback” or “reviews”.

Like there is so much virtual ink wasted on the horn. I dont know what kind of steroid pumped horn people want. But this horn for me is just right. And the “exhaust note”. In the current era of responsible and sustainable riding, one this note is the sweetest possible note in a single cylinder 400. Physics and regulation will decide the note. Physics will also decide the heat dissipation. People who found the bike heating up and fan running may have to consider a Hero Splendour. The heat didnt trouble me at all. And fan coming up is a good thing, unless the fan life is short. My KTM 390 needed a replacement of the fan in the first year itself.

The best thing about the bike is I could ride it in 4th gear on LBS road traffic with hardly a need to shift.

The next best thing is it isnt lazy and picks up speed upto 80kmph pretty easily. I hardly every ride above 80 and strictly folllow speed limits except while overtaking.

I will regret only one thing. Living with the speedo console. This looks cheap and ugly both. If there is any way I can upgrade this to a Trident or Speed Twin one, I will.

I felt the brake lever needs a longer pull to start biting. Also I could do with a bigger brake in front.

Here is how I would rate the bike:

Whats essential and not upto ones taste:
Engine refinement (for a single) - 9/10
Fit and finish - 10/10
Suspension - 10/10
Brake - 7/10
Clutch assist - 8/10
Electronic aids - 8/10
Handling - 10/10
Features and speedo console - 5/10
Fuel economy - 9/10

Whats upto individual taste
Look and design - 10/10
Accessories and options - 5/10
Exhaust note (for a single) - 9/10
Delivery experience - 0/10
Seat comfort - 8/10

This bike will attract a lot of commuters. And occassionally people who love motorcycles and go on long rides. Thankfully, this will not impress the chhapris. If this ends up enticing the chhapris and become a machine to show off cheap stunts Triumph brand will lose its sheen.
sankarx2 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 10:04   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Congratulations LazyRev.

The extended warranty part is mentioned here
Please do share the showroom copy if that mentions something more than this.
Yes, the booklet you shared has a star but I couldnt find the rest of the details in it. The showroom copy is very detailed. I am posting it here for you to see. I managed to get a copy for myself.

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_20230910_095418160_doc.jpg

Also, not sure if others are aware but apparently we get free RSA (Road Side Assistance) as well. I might be wrong but I think it is for a year. If so, it seems like Triumph has gone all out to give us the TotalCare package.
lazyrev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 10:10   #757

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

As per my conversation with the SA at Triumph Pashan, the extended warranty is for 3 years or 45000 kms.
Old 10th September 2023, 12:27   #758
Team-BHP Support

Shaman Triumph (Mumbai) seems to have started some group rides for their Speed customers. I was on a short city ride today with some riding buddies and had gone to Bombay Coffee House at Ballard Estate for breakfast.

After a while I saw a massive string of Speed 400s come up to the place. I forgot to take a snap so requested a Shaman salesperson to send me a few pics. They were all neatly lined up and the first thing that struck me (but didn’t surprise me actually) was that the color preference is overwhelmingly red. I knew Red is the color that’s got maximum traction but didn’t realise its to such a high percentage.

Nice to see the Speed specific riding community shaping up with so many deliveries already in place. Once the Scrambler launches, I think it will be a similar extreme with the massive majority opting for the khaki green color.

Leaving a few pics that the Shaman chap sent me later.

The line up outside Bombay Coffee House.
Triumph Speed 400 Review-b0ca537bef6e400bb8b589bbe5b87a8e.jpeg

Other spots along the route where they had lined up Perfect places for group pics like these.
Triumph Speed 400 Review-e6c36b07ac154399afa85de3b965b687.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-ed56f39671ee4614aae883c7a908ca70.jpeg

That’s our bikes outside before the morning got busy. Had some beautiful sports cars come along as well shortly after as well as another group of Superbikes including a lovely Katana - a rare sights on the streets. I didn’t click any pics of those either.
Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_4445.jpeg

Triumph Speed 400 Review-img_4444.jpeg
Axe77 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 12:48   #759
BHPian

Is anyone here considering getting any sort of PPF or ceramic coating done on their Speed 400s? I am not too sure if it is worth it, considering my bike is parked in stilt parking most of the time.

Would love to know everyone else's thoughts on what is usually a controversial topic (paint protection).
Old 10th September 2023, 14:21   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Is anyone here considering getting any sort of PPF or ceramic coating done on their Speed 400s? .
Maybe you should listen to this Shumi podcast ( from the 7-minute mark)

Last edited by kap04 : 10th September 2023 at 14:23.
kap04 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 15:50   #761
BHPian

Are there people here who have paid full amount to Keerthi Triumph and awaiting any information from them? At least from social media, I could make out that there are 20-25 of us in the same boat.
Old 10th September 2023, 16:20   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Is anyone here considering getting any sort of PPF or ceramic coating done on their Speed 400s? I am not too sure if it is worth it, considering my bike is parked in stilt parking most of the time.

Would love to know everyone else's thoughts on what is usually a controversial topic (paint protection).
It may be necessary to get some kind of coating done. There is a 1" patch on my bike's tank that's become scuffed due to something rubbing against it lightly but continuously while riding.
Old 10th September 2023, 16:27   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
It may be necessary to get some kind of coating done. There is a 1" patch on my bike's tank that's become scuffed due to something rubbing against it lightly but continuously while riding.
You should polish that part and look at tank and knee pads to resolve this issue permanently. I am guessing it’s either your knees or jacket zip which is causing the scuffing. Can’t imagine what else it could be (if it’s something else) but please post a picture for clarity.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 16:43   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
The tank pad will help as well. Isn't it? I use that on my Classic500 (but, of course, after it had scratch signs)
bhupesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 18:12   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhupesh View Post
Are there people here who have paid full amount to Keerthi Triumph and awaiting any information from them?.
Yes count me in that list too. I had transferred on 6th September and what they said is 2 weeks for delivery.
kap04 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks