Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 20:18   #886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECL350 View Post
For me it was not difficult to make decision. Money was not a constraint. More Power, More Torque, EFI < More Mileage. "I am loving it".
Looking back at your posts, no post dropped any hint of 350cc; when you said you bought home 350 classic, it was quite surprising for me. Dont have regrets, "More Smiles Per Miles" .. just keep smiling .
Hehe yeah! I haven't tanked up since I did the first time. It has run 306 kms. I would have been happy with 30-35kmpl of the 500 too.

Its just that when a STD. or an Electra thump past me, I feel like shooting myself in the head. I know my bike is faster and a better machine, I really do love it for that. But it sounds like a Vikram.

:P

The upswept is top-priority. Just have to see if it improves things enough.

Anyone have any reviews for the upswept on a 350?
Old 19th December 2009, 20:42   #887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjothi View Post
Hi fellows,
I plan to buy the 500 within 2 months. Can some of you who hae bought it let me know your initial owenrship experience

Note from Team BHP Support.

Please search the forum before creating a new thread.
Thanks.
Wait for few days, I'll post my review after my second service next week.

@easyyousee- Upswept will make a lot of diference to 350 for sure as I have heard on few.

Last edited by Randhawa : 19th December 2009 at 20:44.
Old 19th December 2009, 21:24   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post

Its just that when a STD. or an Electra thump past me, I feel like shooting myself in the head. I know my bike is faster and a better machine, I really do love it for that. But it sounds like a Vikram.
I know the feeling. I had the same problem. But don't worry, that is just temporary. Once the machine is nicely run-in and you let it rip a couple of times. It will begin to have an understated growl like (gasp) a Harley. (At least my TBTS does )
Old 19th December 2009, 21:56   #889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
I know the feeling. I had the same problem. But don't worry, that is just temporary. Once the machine is nicely run-in and you let it rip a couple of times. It will begin to have an understated growl like (gasp) a Harley. (At least my TBTS does )
I sure hope so. Did you see the video posted in my ownership thread? Maybe you can throw some light on the engine clatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Wait for few days, I'll post my review after my second service next week.

@easyyousee- Upswept will make a lot of diference to 350 for sure as I have heard on few.
You are to lazy to post a review. Don't give him false hope.

Are you sure about the upswept thing? Any chance you've got a video? Please!
Old 19th December 2009, 22:46   #890
Senior - BHPian

Hey come on yarr, I am not that lazy

Sorry no video. Yes I am sure it's worth the thump that is if you miss the thump so much. It will cost you less as you just have to get the silencer and not the bend.
Old 20th December 2009, 11:42   #891
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to prick the bubble boys. The UCEs will never sound like a STD350 simply because their engines aren't made of cast iron like the CI350. That said, the UCEs will be great tourers and can be ridden fairly hard. I am quite certain about this since I have ridden a test mule UCE500 with more than 20K on the odo. The UCE500 which I rode featured an upswept silencer which liberated thumps, albeit urgent ones. If you want to pose in the city and ride around, thumping around soulfully, nothing can beat a STD350. It is this single feature of the STD350s heavy crank that has endeared it to Indians across ages.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 20th December 2009 at 11:44.
Old 20th December 2009, 14:27   #892
BHPian

Quote:
I sure hope so. Did you see the video posted in my ownership thread? Maybe you can throw some light on the engine clatter.
Tried to, but got this message "This video is private and has been viewed by the maximum (25) number of people allowed. If you want to view this video, encourage the video owner to make it public so more people can enjoy it."

I agree with JayPrashanth. The UCE350 will never sound like a STD350, but it has a rumbling growl which is itself nice, somewhat like a Harley but more muted. Perhaps the muffler subdues it too much.
Old 21st December 2009, 16:18   #893
Senior - BHPian

I understand and appreciate the engine. It is a great piece of machinery for sure.

I know that the clanking is inevitable with Al, it just gets really irritating to hear it all the time. You can't help but wonder if everything is alright with the engine.

@Rollin

Will make it public. It had the number plate, that is why I avoided it at first.
Old 21st December 2009, 19:28   #894
BHPian

does the 500CL actually manage a mileage of 30 - 35?
whats the figures on the 350CL?
Old 21st December 2009, 22:03   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I understand and appreciate the engine. It is a great piece of machinery for sure.

I know that the clanking is inevitable with Al, it just gets really irritating to hear it all the time. You can't help but wonder if everything is alright with the engine. .
I had the same difficulty with my LB500s clatter with the stock muffler. In due course of time, I learnt to identify the different sounds that different components make. Now, I run a goldie and a ridiculously low idle(i don't have the electric starter:so no sprag to worry about), so I have no issues identifying all the sounds. So, I guess it is a matter of time and a little effort from your side before you start listening to the engine and understanding each sound.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 21st December 2009, 22:06   #896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruva View Post
does the 500CL actually manage a mileage of 30 - 35?
whats the figures on the 350CL?
Yes, it does but it isn't a very good sign since the engine is running overly lean. Just not good for the engine in the long run. People are reporting 45-50KMPL for the TBTS/CL350 which also isn't a good sign. A correctly tuned CL500, IMHO should return 25-30 KMPL.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 21st December 2009, 22:22   #897
Senior - BHPian

I dont agree with you on that. My CL500 started with 28 and now it's 32KMPL + under 3K mileage. I am quite sure it's not running lean but vice versa.
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:00   #898
Senior - BHPian

Randhawa,

Why don't you do a plug chop at WOT and see for yourself. Meanwhile, may I ask you how you've concluded that your CL500 isn't running lean? Also, I am assuming a mix of hard and easy riding.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 22nd December 2009 at 15:03.
Old 22nd December 2009, 18:33   #899
Senior - BHPian

You are right about the riding style(easy riding= min speed 60km/hr my style). As for how I have concluded my results about rich mixture. Black smoke in the morning and yellowish coloration on the bend where it joins the exhaust also the plug has been inspected three times and turned out to be completely black in colour. Secondly I was told by the mechanic at the dealer who serviced my bike that the mixture is intentionally set a bit rich from factory till running in is over.

Engineers from Chennai are coming tomorrow to check the bikes delivered in he first lot so I am hoping to get some answers from them.
Old 22nd December 2009, 22:03   #900
Senior - BHPian

The factors are pretty convincing on the outset. But, a plug chop at WOT any day is more reliable as you can have a smoking bull at idle and still end up with a bone white plug at WOT. Since you are still running in your bull, so WOT is out of the question. Anyway, if your bull is running a rich mixture, it is something good for the running in period. :-) Meanwhile, I got 44KMPL on my LB500 during running in.

Cheers,

Jay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks