Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2009, 10:22   #796
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post

I understand that their would be a difference 18 v/s 19. But, is that reason enough to disqualify the CL500 as a tourer?
NO.

I know a guy who did the Leh stretch on a Kinetic Honda.
Old 25th November 2009, 10:26   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
NO.

I know a guy who did the Leh stretch on a Kinetic Honda.
Thanks a lot sire, for putting this discussion to a rest.

PS: You really are the final word in long distance riding. Hats off b(l)oss(t) !
Old 25th November 2009, 12:19   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post

@Touring gurus

I understand that their would be a difference 18 v/s 19. But, is that reason enough to disqualify the CL500 as a tourer?
My two cents:

I am no touring expert, but it seems that 18"ers will actually be better for touring than the 19"ers, for the same given torque generated by the engine.

Torque=Wheel-radius x force-at-tire, so if the wheel radius is smaller, for the same torque, the force at the tire is higher. This leads to better acceleration (force = mass X acceleration, remember) and also a better ability to climb inclines (going against gravity). Another thing, a lower centre-of-gravity (due to smaller wheels) would also mean a more stable bike.

So if I were going on a Himalayan tour I would definitely prefer 18'' wheels to 19".
Old 25th November 2009, 12:19   #799
Senior - BHPian

Couple of days back i rode my friends "Classic"

Few things which i noticed on the short test ride..

Like the beat, though subtle (not loud) but tight ( not hallow)

This bike has lots of power(torque) in her, am used my 500 and she is not slow. but this lady has some serious power in her! since the bike is still running in could not push her

The bike seems to be very stable and grounded i guesss the "18s" work better! and the weight seem to be more. again comparing to my 500.

The engine noise is very less compared to the avls, am sure this machine will be a good mile muncher for those looking for long rides!
Old 25th November 2009, 13:24   #800
BHPian

Gear ratios of Classic 500 are adjusted to accommodate loss of 1 inch. Putting a 19 incher on 500 will have a effect on performance .
Old 25th November 2009, 13:34   #801
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserman View Post
well, RE is always promoting its bikes as long distance tourers- (yearly himalayan odyssey, rajasthan, etc)
And who says what ever they promote is what we need to use the bikes for?

TVS had some model called traffic cutter - I dont think i need to elaborate on that.

Quote:
Even the brochures for the 500 have a macho dude with his girl with the countryside as backdrop. They don't have him standing with the bike next to IBM or Infosys.
Know what. A lot more people would have liked to see a normal dude like me standing infront of tall buildings and a laptop bag swung around his shoulder with the same girl beside him.

Jokes apart. This is a 2 in one bike, tour and use it as a daily commuter. What is wrong in that?

Quote:
I seriously think that RE got their wires crossed with the 500. The 350 with its 19 inch front seems better suited to touring!
Oh comm-on. By changing the front to a 19 incher a 350 becomes a better tourer then a 500? I dont agree on that. Seriously dude...

Quote:
A touring bike requires the high power end which a 500 cc plant can deliver- not for speed- but just for the ability to haul rider, pillion and yes, the kitchen sink, comfortably.
No sir, i dont agree. Over all the above its reliability thats of utmost importance while touring. And i think these new gen bikes have loads of it, atleast compared to the CI ones for sure.

Quote:
Essentially the 500 classic is a city bike with a touring engine
Duh?? Whats that?

Quote:
just try riding into a pothole at a reasonable 45 kmph with 18 inchers and then do it with a 19 inch and you'll see what I mean.
And what should be the diameter of the pothole i test it through?

From what i know - potholes are not of standard size. Where a 18 inch fails and 19 inch succeeds. I am sure there is a pothole lurking somewhere out there where a 19 inch will fail and a 20 inch will be better. What then?

Get the point?

Quote:
This bike is made for the autobahns and route 66's of Europe and the U.S.
Top speed is 130 kmph i guess. That is not even 100 miles per hour.

I have driven on an Autobhan in Germany only once and i tell you the Classic will look like a Bulloct cart on there.

Quote:
For those who wax lyrical about the classic's old world charm, well then please also give me the well maintained roads (maintained by the British, no less) which we had at the time the original classic was made.
Duh. I miss the point of this para. Apologies in advance as my brains cant decipher it.

Quote:
Finally, much better off with a Karisma or Avenger if happiness is to be found in smaller wheels. A lot cheaper too.
Yeah, i have a CBZ, RX 100 and RD all with 18 inches. And another thing i have learned being a rider and that is respect for every bike.
Old 25th November 2009, 14:04   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserman
Finally, much better off with a Karisma or Avenger if happiness is to be found in smaller wheels. A lot cheaper too.
Tell me you are joking. You'd choose a bike depending ONLY on the wheel size. So you'd pick the Karizma or Avenger because they have the same size wheels?!?!?!

Irrelevant of the topic, but do you own or ever owned a Bullet?!
Old 25th November 2009, 16:32   #803
BHPian

For all Chennaites

Just received a SMS from the Royal Enfield store Adyar - Test Rides on Classic started today.
Old 25th November 2009, 16:44   #804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Tell me you are joking. You'd choose a bike depending ONLY on the wheel size. So you'd pick the Karizma or Avenger because they have the same size wheels?!?!?!

Irrelevant of the topic, but do you own or ever owned a Bullet?!
Been riding bullets since 1978, thank you very much Gordon.

Seems this thread is not open to criticisms of any sort regarding the 500 classic--yes I know of a guy who did ladakh on a old model vespa! This is not the point I'm trying to make. You can do that journey on any bike I'm sure, classic 500 included. I'm just saying its not the IDEAL tourer in the RE stable. IDEALLY TBTS or electra are the best and the 500cc engine would have been better off in them. I have already booked a TBTS, I'm sure in future RE will bring out electra and TBTS in the 500cc format and I'll be the first in line.

I'm not trying to convince anyone about the classics ability to handle rough roads either, just sharing my previous experience with bikes having smaller wheels.
I await the reports from the tourers who buy the 500 and take it out on +500km runs. That will put all speculation to rest, mine included.
Old 25th November 2009, 17:51   #805
Senior - BHPian

For the Indian moonscape, 19 inchers outperform the smaller sized wheels. No question about that.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 25th November 2009, 17:55   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserman View Post
I'm sure in future RE will bring out electra and TBTS in the 500cc format and I'll be the first in line.
You'll have to beat me to it!
Yes, the 500cc TBTS would be the ultimate RE cruiser.
Old 25th November 2009, 20:52   #807
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that you have had an experience with Bullets.

Surely the 19" will be better than the 18", just like the 18" would be better than the 17". But to disregard the 18" as a no-no on an Enfield for touring is what I don't understand. I honestly don't see them as being such a huge difference as you claim. Other bikes that do have 18" wheels and wider tyres handle well on potholed roads and even on the gaps between the concrete blocks. The Enfields are too twitchy in the gaps between the concrete blocks and other such parallel lines on the road.

I've never heard of anyone buying an Enfield for trips 'just because' it has 19" wheels.
Old 25th November 2009, 21:04   #808
Senior - BHPian

Personally, I am not sure that the one inch will make any noticeable difference to the touring capability of the bike. But I suspect that the good old two up one piece seat will be better suited even for single rider touring, the one seater is a pose thing. And if the engine/gearbox is as reliable as the AVL 500 is, it will be a great long distance touring mount.
The one issue I am still being hassled with on my AVL 500 is the electrics. The headlights keep blowing the fuses in a random manner, I think I shall rewire them with new better insulated copper. The way the bike is wired up is still a scandal. I don't know if they have addressed this vital bit of reliability subject in the new bikes.
Old 26th November 2009, 14:43   #809
BHPian

My Firsthand experience with Classic 500

Guys,

I am just back from a TD of Classic 500. It is an awesome machine. Here are few of my observations
1) Height - Is 1 inch lesser that other bullets but I was very much comfortable with it. I am 5 feet 10 inches vertically.
2) Bullet Feel - It is present, but not what you feel on a Standard.
I feel the reason behind is the engine which is smoother than the earlier bullets so no more vibration (~ 1/5 of Standard). Also the bike was fitted with the long bottle exaust which muted the thump. But still it has that RAW power feel.
3) Riding is very smooth with that RAW power underneath.
4) Sound - As I mentioned, a retro or goldie can give a much better thump. Though, contradictory to statements here I liked the long bottle sound as well (firm beats)..it is not at all hisssy like Thunderbird.
5) The bike was pulling like a Mammoth. And compared to M500 it its quick. Changing from 1-2-3 gives a slight punch to neck which is good.
6) Suspension - Is very good. Front is not stiff nor spongy. I found it ok. comments?
7) Road Grip is awesome as well, tried to cross parallel road joints and it was not at all scary. On a Pulsar this is the scariest thing you do.
8) I would definatly put a Goldie from Saurabh (Delhi) on this machine. I am not sure if that will affect the engine.
9) Value for money - I am not sure here. I was about to buy M500 and now I am paying 25K more. :-(

What I did not like?
Nothing as such. Still thinking if there is anything that I dislike...uummuumm.
Yeah front tyre But hey, I can live with that for the power and reliability I am getting.

I will get my bike next week. Royal Maroon CL500.
Old 26th November 2009, 16:33   #810
Senior - BHPian

isnt that a quick delivery - which dealer outlet are you getting it from? And congratulations!
Are you doing anything about the solo seat?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks