Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2009, 10:20   #691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Two bikes are a no no, I have tried, I bought the 350 Electra a few months after I got the 500, because I wanted the classic thump as well. The bike ran great, was a better ride in the city, but keeping two running is not easy. And if you keep them idle, they suffer, as any machine will. So I sold the 350 a few months ago. I agree with the punch on the LB, like a locomotive, but I am surprised to hear that the 500 classic lacks it. Why? I haven't compared the torque curve information, hence the question.
PS: Personally, I think the separate gearbox engine looks a lot more like a Bullet engine ought to, so that is another reason to hold on to the bike.
The CL500 is more punchier in fact. What I wanted to say is that you won't miss the CL500 too much. The LB500 has enough pull to keep you happy.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 13th November 2009, 11:34   #692
BANNED

One of my friends forwarded these pics to me. He has not clicked them. No idea of source. If someone knows please add it on here. Thanks

EDIT: This is the 500 EFI engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-royalenfieldmotor1.jpg  

Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-royalenfieldmotor2.jpg  

Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-royalenfieldmotor3.jpg  

Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-royalenfieldmotor4.jpg  

Last edited by Spitfire : 13th November 2009 at 11:36.
Old 13th November 2009, 13:11   #693
BHPian

After resisting the temptation for a full-week, I caved yesterday when I got a phone call from the showroom to come and see the C-5. They had my number from a while back when I was looking at the Machismo 500.

I was told that the only RE showroom in my town is direct company operated. The manager there - Mr. Sudhakar was quite friendly and seemed knowledgeable. I am new to Bullets - I've been a Yezdi guy, rode a 1974 Jawa and a 1996 Roadking. Sold the Jawa, but still have the Roadking. Was always tempted by Bullets, but the left-side brake was a no-no for me and the high-maintenance stories didn't help either.

The show-room had two green C-5s and a black C-5. The green-color C-5 reminded me a lot of my Jawa - it was the same green color and the tank shape also has a good deal of resemblance when viewed from the riding the position. It started easily both by the electric start and with a single kick. The green one I tried had the up-swept exhaust and sounded just beautiful. The note from the straight exhaust sounded a bit more muffled and not as mellow. The 4-stroke beat is quite different from to the explosive beat of the Roadking 2-stroke engine, but I liked it anyway.

The C-5 is Rs 1.44 L on-road here and comes with saree-guard, pillion seat and mirrors. The show-room will fit or remove whichever ones we want. The up-swept exhaust is Rs 2,700 extra (and they said 'no' for an exchange with the straight one that came with the bike).

And, by a strange co-incidence, a four-year old FD is maturing this month and the amount I will receive is exactly Rs 1.44L. Should I take it as a sign from above??

I left the show-room with the classic brochure and a copy of an article on the C5 from the March-2009 issue of the Cycle World magazine. The 500 Classic is a very handsome bike and seems well-made. Fit-and-finish is not on par with the Indo-Jap brigade, but definitely much much better than the Bullet STD. I personally liked the green color best as it reminded me so much of my faithful old Jawa. Lot of sweet memories on that steed - know what I mean

A test-ride was offered, but I couldn't wait for it as there were several people checking out the test-ride bike. So I will probably return after a few days.

The 500 Classic is very tempting, but two things are holding me back. First I am not sure I can get enough use out of two bikes. For me bike is only for pleasure riding. For day-to-day commute in the traffic, I prefer the AC confines of my car. I didn't even start the Roadking for about 10-days now. Second, I might have to travel abroad soon. The last time it happened - a year long trip became a 9-year stay resulting in me selling the Jawa and the Roadking rusted in peace till its restoration last year. So practically it doesn't make much sense for me to get another bike now.

Anyway, will update in a week or so after I had the test-ride.

Cheers
Teja

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
Guys did any of you check any finance options
available for the 500 Classic.
The sales guy mentioned that they have a tie-up with Royal Sundaram & one other financier. I wasn't looking for finance, so I didn't ask for more details.
Old 13th November 2009, 13:39   #694
Senior - BHPian

I think its great to have two silencers. The optional classic silencer is worth Rs 2700 considering its from Royal Enfield itself.

The day you feel like having a silent ride, you can easily replace the silencer. Takes just 5-10 mins to change it and makes a whole lot of difference.

I personally keep shifting between the long-bottle and the Goldstar every alternate month.
Old 13th November 2009, 13:43   #695
BHPian

The stock RE Classics come with a cat con, saree guard and pillion seat. But all the classic brochures, showrooms and website highlight the single seater cat-con less variant. Interestingly - when asked, the RE Dealer near BTM, Bangalore said it would cost about 3K to get the stock to look like the bikes advertised.

Wouldn't this be cause for misleading customers?
Old 13th November 2009, 14:57   #696
BHPian

As long as everything is available from the showroom at the time of purchase, it cant be considered misleading.

Our situation is definitely better than the UK and US market, where they were provided the same pictures when the bike released (almost a year ago I guess), but only now are the distributors receiving stock of the 'off road' silencer.
Old 13th November 2009, 17:34   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
One of my friends forwarded these pics to me. He has not clicked them. No idea of source. If someone knows please add it on here. Thanks

EDIT: This is the 500 EFI engine.

Thanks for sharing the engine pics.

So everything still remains the same its just that its compact now. I thought RE got rid of the primary twin chains and that the transmission loss will be less. There are some belt type connectors available in the US and installing one will give the bike more power.
Old 13th November 2009, 18:05   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik_S View Post
The stock RE Classics come with a cat con, saree guard and pillion seat. But all the classic brochures, showrooms and website highlight the single seater cat-con less variant. Interestingly - when asked, the RE Dealer near BTM, Bangalore said it would cost about 3K to get the stock to look like the bikes advertised.

The saree guard and pillion are add ons, which can be removed in 5 mins (and put back)
I'm guessing registration will be a problem without them. (how can a bike be a two seater if there is only one seat?)

THE classic brochure and website clearly states that the silencer is an aftermarket, offroad option.

So I don't think it is a case of misleading the customers.
Old 13th November 2009, 18:10   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I face the exact dilemma.
My tBird is 2003 July model. Some 80k kms or so done.
Daily ride and highway cruiser.

The engine is going strong and has never needed any work on it.
Only regular service.
80k without any engine work, now that is something. I am assuming this is the AVL engine about which I am not so familiar. Can you describe your riding style? I could certainly use some tips for increasing engine longevity.
Old 13th November 2009, 18:13   #700
BHPian

Some more engine pics

Extracted this from .pdf that I had saved sometime back.

Also a bike from the UK showroom that runs on similar heart
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-new_bullet_engine_on_show.jpg  

Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-new_bullet_engine_on_show1.jpg  

Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-new_bullet_engine_on_show2.jpg  

Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-new_bullet_engine_on_show4.jpg  

Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-new_bullet_engine_on_show5.jpg  

Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-new_bullet_engine_on_show6.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 14th November 2009, 00:22   #701
Senior - BHPian

That red bike is a Scrambler. Its got rearsets and that looks like a LB engine, not UCE.
Old 14th November 2009, 02:08   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
That red bike is a Scrambler. Its got rearsets and that looks like a LB engine, not UCE.
Gordon - Since the silencer appears to be on the LHS is it that this ride has double silencers or is it a single silencer but on the left side?
Old 14th November 2009, 10:54   #703
Senior - BHPian

I'm not quite sure on this. Older Bullet Scramblers had a single silencer on the right. This one too should have a single silencer.

Just like the Cafés, the Scramblers too are awesome Bullets from the past. The tank on the previous Srambler was just too good.
Old 14th November 2009, 12:04   #704
Senior - BHPian

Here got another pic of it. Its called the Woodsman, a new version of the legendary Scrambler. The silencer is on the left side. The rearsets are very clean especially the brake side because there isn't any silencer to obstruct it.

Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-wman.jpg

Last edited by Gordon : 14th November 2009 at 12:09.
Old 14th November 2009, 13:21   #705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik_S View Post

All RE motorcycles sold currently come with the hot tube, in the bend pipe. the muffler doesn't have any cat con in it.

Cheers,

Jay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks