Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 15:33   #781
Senior - BHPian

My friends classic 500. He had fitted a flame thrower that went wrong and so he cut the exhaust to make it like a megaphone exhaust. The bike is loud as hell and he has called for the original exhaust from the company. Sorry for the bad quality pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-23112009327.jpg  

Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-23112009328.jpg  

Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-23112009329.jpg  

Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-23112009330.jpg  

Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale-23112009334.jpg  

Old 24th November 2009, 16:07   #782
Senior - BHPian

Just had a test ride this afternoon and I am sad to say I am not impressed!

It doesn't have the thump with the stock pipes so be prepared to shell out 3k for the off-road pipes. You get to keep the stock pipes as they don't have a buy-back option.

With stock pipes the power is less than thrilling and I think the 500LB pulled a bit quicker than the Classic 500. Just strange! But a more glaring pitfall than the lack of power is the handling and brakes. The 18" wheels have made it steer sharper and the higher quality rubber definitely helps but when you use the front brakes, the whole bike dives unacceptably.

So good looks, sound (with offroad pipes) and a smoother shifting gearbox have to be high on your list of priorities because the power, brakes and chassis will disappoint. Uprated tires are a huge benefit as well.
Old 24th November 2009, 18:33   #783
Senior - BHPian

What is the twinspark badging doing in the Classic EFI500. Have RE incorporated the twinspark into the EFI500?

Cheers,

Jay
Old 24th November 2009, 18:47   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
What is the twinspark badging doing in the Classic EFI500. Have RE incorporated the twinspark into the EFI500?

Cheers,

Jay
Yes CL500 is a Twinspark engine, and that's awesome.
Old 24th November 2009, 18:55   #785
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,

Jay
Yes, it is twin spark. Royal Enifield has been using its twin spark in Thunder Bird also.
Old 24th November 2009, 19:00   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

About 1 inch difference in diameter of the rim affecting long distance riding/touring/ability to ride our potholes doesn't make a valid case for me.

Have a RD, RX and CBZ with 18 inchers, never thought the one inch extra on the bullet made it any better then the rest. The Bullet is a better tourer for a lot of other reasons and 19 inch tyres are probably something i never thought as a plus point from a purely touring perspective.

Well the extra one inch surely makes a lot of difference when it comes to touring. Specially if you tour on bad roads. Try crossing a fast flowing water crossing with a bike with 18" and do the same with the 19" wheels and you will have the answer. Now why dint they add 19" wheels to all the bikes ? because not all bikes have the torque to support the huge wheels as the enfield dose, many Offroad bikes all over the world come with bigger wheels. I think adding the 19" on the 500Efi will enhance the off road capability of the bike as also give it the best GC on any Indian bike.
Old 24th November 2009, 19:54   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
My friends classic 500.. ..fitted a flame thrower that went wrong and so he cut the exhaust to make it like a megaphone exhaust
congrats
& flame thrower? could you pls detail
Quote:
...Sorry for the bad quality pictures..
hmm., just single image was good enough

Last edited by Rennjit : 24th November 2009 at 19:57.
Old 24th November 2009, 20:14   #788
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish View Post
Try crossing a fast flowing water crossing with a bike with 18" and do the same with the 19" wheels and you will have the answer.
And what would be my answer? Whats the technical take on this? especially crossing fast flowing water - where in an one inch difference is diameter brings about a significant change in the effort required.

Interesting actually and would be great to learn. I dont ford too many fast flowing rivers on a daily basis but hey it would be great to know i can with 19 inch tyres if ever there is a need in the near future.
Old 24th November 2009, 21:18   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
& flame thrower? could you pls detail
The kind you see on cars. I think it is like a sparker system sort of thing that works with the gasses thrown out the exhaust. So basically when you rev the accelerator the flames are thrown out. Further understanding watch NFS .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
hmm., just single image was good enough
So used to taking pictures of cars from all angles so did the same for the bike .
Old 25th November 2009, 00:50   #790
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,

Jay
wonder whats so shocking about having a twinspark in the 500???
Old 25th November 2009, 00:53   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
And what would be my answer? Whats the technical take on this? especially crossing fast flowing water - where in an one inch difference is diameter brings about a significant change in the effort required.

Interesting actually and would be great to learn. I dont ford too many fast flowing rivers on a daily basis but hey it would be great to know i can with 19 inch tyres if ever there is a need in the near future.
cant agree more.

Quote:
Well the extra one inch surely makes a lot of difference when it comes to touring. Specially if you tour on bad roads. Try crossing a fast flowing water crossing with a bike with 18" and do the same with the 19" wheels and you will have the answer. Now why dint they add 19" wheels to all the bikes ? because not all bikes have the torque to support the huge wheels as the enfield dose, many Offroad bikes all over the world come with bigger wheels. I think adding the 19" on the 500Efi will enhance the off road capability of the bike as also give it the best GC on any Indian bike.
cant help but disagree.
Old 25th November 2009, 08:11   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Apparently the reason for 18" tyres is the better range & quality of tyres available in 18".

I agree with RE here. They need to see whether the majority of their riders are fording water, or riding on tarmac.

By all means the minority can change to 19". I think thats a better solution that giving 19" only for off road use.
Old 25th November 2009, 09:24   #793

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplythebest View Post
Apparently the reason for 18" tyres is the better range & quality of tyres available in 18".

I agree with RE here. They need to see whether the majority of their riders are fording water, or riding on tarmac.

By all means the minority can change to 19". I think thats a better solution that giving 19" only for off road use.
well, RE is always promoting its bikes as long distance tourers- (yearly himalayan odyssey, rajasthan, etc) Even the brochures for the 500 have a macho dude with his girl with the countryside as backdrop. They don't have him standing with the bike next to IBM or Infosys. I seriously think that RE got their wires crossed with the 500. The 350 with its 19 inch front seems better suited to touring! A touring bike requires the high power end which a 500 cc plant can deliver- not for speed- but just for the ability to haul rider, pillion and yes, the kitchen sink, comfortably.

Essentially the 500 classic is a city bike with a touring engine

And for all of you who think the extra one inch is not much of a deal, just try riding into a pothole at a reasonable 45 kmph with 18 inchers and then do it with a 19 inch and you'll see what I mean. This bike is made for the autobahns and route 66's of Europe and the U.S. not for Indian potholed city roads (and pune takes the cake) and sorry excuses we call highways.

For those who wax lyrical about the classic's old world charm, well then please also give me the well maintained roads (maintained by the British, no less) which we had at the time the original classic was made.

Finally, much better off with a Karisma or Avenger if happiness is to be found in smaller wheels. A lot cheaper too.
Old 25th November 2009, 09:47   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
... I think it is like a sparker system sort of thing that works with the gasses thrown out the exhaust...Further understanding watch NFS .
no, no NFS needed, i meant what/how you got/made one to fit. Is it that exhaust pipe alone ie., muffler taken off, you mentioned. any pics ?

Last edited by Rennjit : 25th November 2009 at 09:49.
Old 25th November 2009, 10:18   #795
Senior - BHPian

@cruiserman

I seriously don't get you man.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Your arguments for it being a poor bike are mostly invalid. The Karizma rides on 18"ers so do most of the bikes in the market, so they can not be driven on Indian roads? Perhaps they deserve no less than an Autobahn?

Telling people to go and try doing a pothole with 18"ers and compare it with 19"ers is just unreasonable. I know it is not very quantifiable, but I would very much like to know how much difference would the latter make.

I have seen Karizmas and Pulsars being taken to Leh with their 18"ers, I doubt they carried their bikes on their shoulders while crossing the potholes.

I do agree that 19"ers would be great, but I really don't agree with how much of a disadvantage you are playing the 18"ers to be.

@Touring gurus

I understand that their would be a difference 18 v/s 19. But, is that reason enough to disqualify the CL500 as a tourer?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks