Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2009, 15:05   #571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post

Classic 500 doesn't come with auto decomp as mentioned somewhere in the forum, they have retained the decomp lever and trust me you cannot kick her into life without using it.
What you think is not what it is. The decompression unit is absent from 500. What looks like a decompression lever is actually for choke
Old 5th November 2009, 15:57   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
What you think is not what it is. The decompression unit is absent from 500. What looks like a decompression lever is actually for choke
Oh thanks for the info, i appreciate it bro.
Old 5th November 2009, 18:10   #573
BHPian

Someone mentioned long-term ownership reports of the Classic 500 from the UK. I couldnt find any. Could anyone point me in the right direction please?
Old 5th November 2009, 18:20   #574
BHPian

In fact it was launched in UK just about a year back so any reports won't be long term.But most reports are said to be positive.

I have booked the 500 already and the dealer expects to hand it to me next week.
Old 5th November 2009, 18:25   #575
BHPian

A proper old school chopper with single seat,struts on the rear fender , new and modern engine, a beautifully designed exhaust.Also a great colour option,the green one.what else does one ask for?

thankyou royal enfield!
Old 5th November 2009, 19:03   #576
BHPian

Yes, the Bullet Classic looks a beautiful machine, but isn't the fuel efficiency a tad low? The advertised FE of 33kmpl (80mpg) is just at the higher end of what AVL 500 Bullets already have -- without EFI (for which RE is asking such a premium). Why is EFI then considered such a big deal? Just Asking.

Rollin' Thunda
Old 5th November 2009, 20:28   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
... What looks like a decompression lever is actually for choke
You sure? EFI & Choke
Seems RE's giving more saree eee guard, heel shifter,kick lever all as std fitment.
Old 5th November 2009, 20:51   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
You sure? EFI & Choke
Seems RE's giving more saree eee guard, heel shifter,kick lever all as std fitment.
+1

i could not notice anything like that in the showroom today. might be i was too overwhelmed by the beast
Old 5th November 2009, 22:19   #579
BHPian

Ok - let me try and get some advise on this forum
I have a 1959 Bullet 350, immaculately restored and with all possible period original period parts including long legs, QD hubs, amal carb etc etc.the list is endless.............I have spent over 2 lakhs on this bike.

Until now I was bitten by the Vintage bug but now I want a bike which will help me satisfy my touring requirements. Dont get me wrong, The 59 runs like a dream but I just dont have the heart to trash it. Also the drum brakes and aeging technology makes reliability a bit of an issue.

The biggest problem of all - my wife will not let me keep two bikes. No arguments here....and I dare not even try.

Ever since I have seen the Classic 500, am tempted to sell off the 59 and buy a mordern, reliable machine, but when I look at the beauty in my garage...I get reminded of the pain, money and the effort that has gone in to building her.

Gentlemen - Advise please
Old 5th November 2009, 22:26   #580
BHPian

Why does Classic come with straight exhaust from factory? Cost cutting?
Old 5th November 2009, 22:54   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
You sure? EFI & Choke
Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
+1

i could not notice anything like that in the showroom today. might be i was too overwhelmed by the beast
Yes indeed it's a choke Have a look carefully when you get a chance to look at it again. You will see the choke sign next to the leaver.
Old 5th November 2009, 22:55   #582
BHPian

I am finally getting a mechanical Bull for myself

I booked a classic 500 today in Mumbai , Bandra RE store. Color is not decided yet, but will be green mostly once i get a look at it. The booking is against my dad's wishes, so I told everyone that I am buying it only after I booked the bike. My dad wants me to cancel it and book a swift

but Heart rules over head. so will continue with the bull for now

Delivery in jan 2010 but no confirmed date. I will remove the back seat, love the single seat look from pics (the showroom guys got a mandate from enfield saying that they cannot display bike with a single seat too weird) , saree guard and get the curved silencer.

Cheers
Old 5th November 2009, 23:28   #583
BHPian

Renjit, Yes even I noticed the choke, Remember I had gone to check if it had decomp lever at the showroom?
Cochin brand store prices:
classic 500- 1.36lacs
classic 350- 1.07lacs
They mentioned booking amount of around 10k and almost 1 month time.
Old 6th November 2009, 00:03   #584
BHPian

Went to the showroom today in B'lore to check out the Classic. Here are some of my observations.

1. Fit, finish and paint is good, impressive even. Attention to detail is quite evident.
2. The red 350 Classic with black chassis looks better than the green 500 with chassis painted same as rest of the body. IMO, body coloured chassis doesnt quite work.
3. 350 with 19" front wheel has more presence compared to 500 with 18" wheels back and front.
4. I thought the 500 clad with 18" wheels looked quite dorky in the pictures, not so in the flesh. Looks quite handsome, the proportions still work with the slightly smaller wheels even with the green colour I like the least. I cant really complain here if it helps the handling.
5. There was a 350 and a 500 with upswept silencers on display, also a black 500 with long silencer. Like black the best followed by the red. Debatable if the upswept silencer looks better than the long one.
6. Wanted to hear the 500's exhaust note, no luck as the batteries werent installed.
7. Test rides arent available as yet, formal launch(whatever that means) is on the Nov 12th here, test rides may be available after that I was told. OTR mentioned for the 500 is 142650 in B'lore.

I came away thinking RE has finally come up with a substantive effort. The only unkown now is the engine, hope that checks out too.

I hope this bike does well, I wish them all the success this effort deserves.
Old 6th November 2009, 00:06   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
but Heart rules over head. so will continue with the bull for now
Thats the Bullet spirit dude, welcome to the brotherhood.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks