Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2009, 00:26   #481

Correction - 350 Classic is non EFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hey Mileeater - I hope that is the case, as the picture uplaoded by Randhawa suggests something else.

The Classic 350 seems to have the Carb instead of EFI Technology. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...7102009237.jpg
Regret I was wrong - the 350cc Classic is indeed a non-EFI model.
Old 31st October 2009, 01:13   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Whoa!! Stopping a model doesn't mean the spares stop too. Spares should be made available for another 5 years atleast.
Long post. Please don't mind.

In theory, auto manufacturers in India are expected to produce spares for discontinued models for ten years after the date of discontinuation. The ground reality is the exact opposite. Some models have spare parts issues even when are being produced and the AVL500 unfortunately happens to be one of them. I have personally experienced this.

Consider this, the AVL500 was launched in 2007 with a "beta test" batch of 500 models released. Plenty of people had issues with the sprag clutch not to mention some having the dreaded piston slap. RE corrected most of this issues under warranty and in some cases even goodwill warranty, especially for the sprag clutch victims. By 2008, the sprag clutch issue was zeroed down to EMI causing premature ignition. So, RE introduced a simple delay mechanism in the TCI module which greatly reduced sprags grenading often. People having issues with the piston were given new cylinder kits under warranty.

After 2007, RE began to sell many more than 500 LB500s a year though the website continued to harp about "a select 500" being able to own the LB500 each year. Unofficial estimates peg the figure at 2000 units/year of the LB500 across India. The sales chart for the LB500 peaked in 2008 until now as many more motorcyclists became smitten by the addictive torque of the LB500. So, all in all I expect RE to have sold almost 8000(very optimistic) units of the LB500 across India from it's launch date on 19th May in 2007. So, what we have here is a motorcycle that has done minuscule numbers in India. Expecting spare parts dealers to support such a number isn't too probable, especially when many don't even know that the AVL500 existed.

This leaves us with the rather difficult choice of approaching the dealers directly for every part. In Pune, when I tried to find head valves for my LB500, no dealer had it in stock. I had to order the spare directly from RE and pay for the shipping too. Finally, it took me almost 15 days to receive the spare. I must mention that RE was very supportive in arranging the spares, but 15 days just for valves just doesn't cut the ice for me. I have a decent rapport with the RE brand store at Bangalore which helped move things a wee bit quicker, but what about the people who have no clue about what to do? Another alternative is to get the repairs done at the RE dealers but the shoddy work done there forces many of us to stay away for good. So, having access to spares whenever we want is very important so that we can have our trusted mechanics work on our steeds. Also, since the AVL500 is pretty reliable, demand for parts is sporadic. Also, the AVL500 is a lifestyle motorcycle that isn't used too often by majority of the owners. That makes it a perfect recipe for spare parts issues.

A good friend of mine is still struggling to get tappets(not pushrods) for his LB500 and his bull has been grounded for more than a month now. The situation is clearly pissing even the most diehard bulleteers. So, it is better for LB500 owners to start hoarding spares slowly albeit steadily so that they don't have to run pillar and post for them.

Here is a list of spares, a few of which I have procured for future use.

Head Valves: not easy to find.
Valve stem seals: easily available.
Valve guides: not available, the spares guys ask us to resize them at the machinist.
Entire gasket set: not available readily, shared part with the AVL350s.
Cam set: Easily available, shared part with AVL350.
Rockers plus spindles: Not easily available, shared part with AVL350
Tappets: tough to find, shared part with AVL350.
Pushrods: Sometimes available, shared part with AVL350
Cylinder kit: not easily available. Have to order and wait.
Crank: forget it. Have to order directly from the factory.
Roller bearings: Heard that SKF makes them. Should be easy to source.
Complete Head assembly: Ditto as crank.
Decomp cable: have to search around.
Decomp o-ring: Forget it. I bought industrial grade ones directly from a factory which produces o-rings.
Clutch cable: I changed mine to the STD350 design so that it is much easier to replace. The AVL mechanism is a pain with no special benefits.
Carb jets: buy a new carb or get jets from Bajaj.
Crank seal: Buy a couple of sets.
Clutch: I'm not sure about the entire assembly but the clutch plates are available easily.
All cables: since AVL cables are different from the CIs, it is better to have two sets of cables at hand always.
Sprockets: Not available off the shelf at most places. Stock up.
The AVL bottom end lasts quite a bit and many people I know have done close to 1L Km with the AVL350s bottom end still strong. The valve train however is prone to niggles. The gear box is bomb proof.

All this stocking up is for the bulleteers who want to enjoy the LB500 for a long-long time. Others simply needn't bother.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by Eddy : 1st November 2009 at 23:11.
Old 31st October 2009, 08:20   #483
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the heads up Jay! This will indeed help a lot of LB owners
Old 31st October 2009, 09:59   #484

Anybody know if TBTS will also get 500 classic engine in future? I just love the riding position and looks of the TB and with a 500 cc plant its going to become India's answer to the Harley.(and affordable too!)
Old 31st October 2009, 17:56   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
A
@Jay

Thanks a lot! That clarifies a lot. Could you please explain what sort of issues were faced during the Himalayan odyssey?
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
thanks for the heads up Jay! This will indeed help a lot of LB owners
EssYouVee,

Transmission seizure. Caused due to the third gear having too less clearance between the main shaft resulting in transmission seizure. RE have redesigned this unit.

Navpreet,

It is my duty mate.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 31st October 2009, 20:40   #486
Senior - BHPian

Great Post Jay. I agree with you. Sourcing the parts make sense if you intend to keep the bike long. I am happy to see your post as some people think I am foolish to spend money on an old bike.

I have a Suzuki Fiero 2000 model. The engine is in very good condition. The exterior got damaged while shifting the bike from Chennai to Bangalore. The fuel tank started leaking recently when I was in a remote village while coming back from Hoggenakal. The bike was taken for a long drive after a gap of 3 years. I had to drive the bike very fast to Hosur TVS as M-Seal sourced from a shop was not sticking to the tank filled with petrol. As expected, Hosur TVS did not have the tank in stock and wanted me to leave the bike there. I called my friend who is in a senior position in TVS and they repaired the tank with M-Seal after removing tank. I drove the bike to Bangalore. The tank was still leaking mildly and I took it to service center in Bangalore. They repaired it with M-Seal and ordered for a new one from TVS factory which never came. I did not want to weld the tank as the tank was dented badly and corroded from inside.

My friend used his contacts in TVS and got me a new tank which was lying in another service center store room for close to 2 years. I also sourced body parts (fairing, side panels etc) in different colours. Now I am repainting the new parts and the entire bike in black. The bike was dismantled fully for painting today.

I know I am spending money on an old bike and some of you may think I am foolish. But I have realised how irritating it is to live without parts and I do not want to sell the bike which is my first and only bike. So, all the body parts are getting replaced as the situation would get only worse.

I do not see much issue for mechanical spare parts as most of them are shared with Apache.

Cost of parts: 8000 (As per the current estimate from TVS)
Cost of painting, powder coating and chroming the bike: 10000

I had spent another 11000 on new tyres, clutch plate, decarbonising etc.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 31st October 2009 at 20:47.
Old 31st October 2009, 21:08   #487
BHPian

this thread from being Royal Enfield Classic Unveiled today...WOW!!

has now become "No parts available today. . . . GRRRR!!!"

the pain is understandable but please get back to topic guys.
Old 31st October 2009, 22:07   #488
Senior - BHPian

Now coming back to the topic, what colour you folks would choose from the given three colours or your preference would be.

1. Black
2. Royal Maroon
3. Classic Green
Old 31st October 2009, 23:01   #489
Senior - BHPian

Royal Maroon or the Classic Green...

Can't decide between the two.

Wait.. The black looks good too.

Argh!

@Jay

Thanks a lot for the info. Do give it a try asap and let us know how you feel about it.
Old 31st October 2009, 23:01   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Now coming back to the topic, what colour you folks would choose from the given three colours or your preference would be.

1. Black
2. Royal Maroon
3. Classic Green
Definitely BLACK, all the way

Cmon man grab it fast and send us the pics. I am so eager, cant wait anymore
Old 31st October 2009, 23:32   #491

Here's mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrage911 View Post
Definitely BLACK, all the way

Cmon man grab it fast and send us the pics. I am so eager, cant wait anymore
Personally think it looks best in green.

Old 1st November 2009, 00:31   #492
Senior - BHPian

Definitely Black!!

Class look for a classic.
Old 1st November 2009, 01:02   #493
Senior - BHPian

Have a look at the black one with the pillion seat on here.
Bullet Classic Images
May be its the ugly rear seat which is spoiling the looks I think. Looks like a standard 350.

Other two colours will attract a bit of attention from the onlookers which I really don't want. I wish they had the British racing green, I would have gone for that.
Old 1st November 2009, 02:28   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Have a look at the black one with the pillion seat on here.
Bullet Classic Images
May be its the ugly rear seat which is spoiling the looks I think. Looks like a standard 350.

Other two colours will attract a bit of attention from the onlookers which I really don't want. I wish they had the British racing green, I would have gone for that.

It is the ugly rear seat which spoils the look. The other colours look a bit flashy which does not suit classic. The classic looks elegant in black.
Old 1st November 2009, 11:29   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Royal Maroon or the Classic Green...

Can't decide between the two.

Wait.. The black looks good too.

Argh!
+ 1. Same dielema for me.

All 3 colors are superb in their own way. I guess I will go for whatever has the shortest wait period.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks