Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2012, 19:30   #301
BHPian

Re: Enfield Queries

My 78 Bull has a strange ailment these days. It is vibrating like crazy while on the move... I can feel my back bones rattling while sitting on her. I know Bullets do vibrate. But the amount of vibes is just too much. I have gas shockers, my rims are brand new, tyres are brand new, front forks are new... I think the vibes are coming from the engine. Otherwise the Bull behaves very, very normally. Runs like a charm. What can be the cause??? Help me out guys...
Old 11th June 2012, 03:37   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Possible causes of vibrations are loose engine mounting bolts or a broken or loose "steady bracket".
This bracket attaches at the rear of the engines cylinder head and to the rear fuel tank mounting bolt on the left side.

Vibrations from any of these conditions will be appearent if the engine is reved up even if the bike is not moving.
Old 11th June 2012, 07:28   #303
BHPian

I've been looking for a windshield to install up front. But the reviews that i've recieved regarding the quality of the OEM part is extremely negative. Nonetheless, the urge to be able to crouch down behind a screen when there's a lotta stinging rain (or even sand particles in bangalore ) is extremely overpowering. Any suggestions?
Old 11th June 2012, 19:50   #304
BHPian

I have a Classic 350 which has clocked around 8500 kms and is 11 months old. I have been doing all the servicing regularly. Apart from some issues regarding leakage observed in the engine oil seal and some wiring problems, i had a decent experience until yesterday. I was returning home after visiting a friend. I was comfortably doing around 65 kmph. I had to stop to answer a call from home. When i started again i had a sudden urge to push the bike (it was pretty late and the road was empty). I touched @100 kmph and then slowly settled to my usual cruising speed of @60 kmph. This is when i realized that the bike was sounding a bit different from the usual. The engine valves were very audible and the slight thump of the stock exhaust was gone. This morning when i started the bike, again the same very audible valve clatter. Is something wrong?? Was it because i pushed the bike a bit?? I will be taking the bike to the dealer after 3-4 days coz i am bit busy right now. Should i avoid riding till this issue is sorted out.
Old 16th July 2012, 21:04   #305
BHPian

I am driving my Thunderbird with almost dead battery since quite long time. Now I'll be replacing the same with new one. Now with the present setup my fuel gauge wasn't working. Some times it used to work when I move my handle bar on LHS. upon bringing it back to straight or toward RHS, again the gauge will go to empty (i.e. to it's standard position when bike is switched off). now just curious to know is there anything else is wrong or just the battery issue?

Thanks,
Pradip.
Old 17th July 2012, 04:24   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

When electrical things stop working and then start working again when something is moved it usually indicates that one of the electrical connections in the wiring is loose.

With the motorcycle not running and sitting on the center stand, watch the wiring harness while you move the handlebars back and forth. If it moves at all, the wires which come out of it are the place to look. Especially the wire coming from the fuel gage to the harness.

Occasionally the wire connectors will become corroded if water has gotten inside of them so unplugging and then replugging each connector back in will often restore the connection.

Do not pull directly on the wire when unplugging wiring connectors. Pull on the large pin area of the connector instead.
Old 18th July 2012, 19:52   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyuargal View Post
Can anyone please suggest a good mechanic in bangalore to give my bulls gearbox a onceover? I have a 1978 Standard 350. I had gone to a mechanic on nandi durga road. But he's just managed to make it worse and i hate to see her struggling while she's being ridden.
The Nandi-durga road guy is not a honest one, though he is supposed to be world famous in Bangalore for all wrong reasons. If I remember right, his name is mehboob.
What exactly is the problem with your gearbox? Unless you hear grinding noise or experience acute gear slippage, it can be probed further.
Old 23rd July 2012, 10:31   #308
BHPian

Hi Jeeva,

Yes you're right. It was a guy called mehboob. However, I went to this place near whitefield in mahadevpura called "THE BEAT". Turns out that my clutch chain was a little faulty cuz of which there was a heavy grinding noise emanating from the bike. That is fixed now however.

Another question that i would like to ask is where can i get my bull painted? Mechanics have qouted some outrageous amounts such as 15,000 for a paintjob with only buffing. Chroming some parts will cost me an additional 3.5K. Now considering that i had painted,buffed and chromed my bull a couple of years ago for the princely sum of 7K, I figured it would at max be 10K for the total job since bangalore is expensive in terms of mechanics. Any suggestions?
Old 23rd July 2012, 15:21   #309
BHPian

15000 FOR Paint JOB is outrageous. At best it should not be more than 3-4k With clear coat & everything. But as you rightly said, this could vary from city to city.....
Old 24th July 2012, 14:54   #310
BHPian

Help identifying part

Hi, I need to know what the attached part called and what's use of it. I guess is it an oil collector?

It's near battery, I have removed battery along with it's housing.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Queries-tbird.jpg  

Old 24th July 2012, 17:38   #311
BHPian

Re: Help identifying part

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Hi, I need to know what the attached part called and what's use of it. I guess is it an oil collector?

It's near battery, I have removed battery along with it's housing.
It is an oil catch can. It holds excess oil from the crank case. Should be emptied /cleaned on every service.
Old 24th July 2012, 18:11   #312
BHPian

Re: Help identifying part

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
It is an oil catch can. It holds excess oil from the crank case. Should be emptied /cleaned on every service.
Hey thanks. Though name was incorrect, I guessed correctly.

Now one more help: is it true that one of the bottom connector is dummy? I was told this by the service center people & I want to confirm the same.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Old 26th July 2012, 15:37   #313
Senior - BHPian

Lighthning 535 - front folks touching mudguard

Had query on the front suspension of the 535...

On a fregualr basis the front mudguard comes in contact with the bendpipe/silencer, which results in bad scratches on the mudguard.

I had replaced the front suspension to that of "Thunder Bird"..

Is this normal or time to replace the fork oil/springs?

Has anyone else faced this on thier 535's? and found a solution

PS: this issue is with 535 only as the silencer pipe protrudes more then any other RE bikes.
thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 15:47   #314
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Lighthning 535 - front folks touching mudguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Had query on the front suspension of the 535...

On a fregualr basis the front mudguard comes in contact with the bendpipe/silencer, which results in bad scratches on the mudguard.

I had replaced the front suspension to that of "Thunder Bird"..

Is this normal or time to replace the fork oil/springs?

Has anyone else faced this on thier 535's? and found a solution

PS: this issue is with 535 only as the silencer pipe protrudes more then any other RE bikes.
thanks
The angular bend of the 535 is the same as that of the std 500. The std 500 somehow never suffers this issue (I have one for the past 10 years now).

But you are right - the 535 has this problem. A close friend of mine has had a couple of close shaves at low speeds when the front wheel gets "stuck" against the bend while maneuvering - nearly causing him to fall.

Don't know why. Maybe the longer fork or differently rated spring / pump? I think the rake / chassis is the same.

P.S. Even the smooth round curved bends fitted to the 535 give the same problem.
Old 26th July 2012, 15:59   #315
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lighthning 535 - front folks touching mudguard

ebonho, yup agree with you.

Infact i have met with an accident due to this issue and thats what made me replace the stock forks with the TB forks...

i think i will replace the spring and oil and see if this works, dont want another episode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The angular bend of the 535 is the same as that of the std 500. The std 500 somehow never suffers this issue (I have one for the past 10 years now).

But you are right - the 535 has this problem. A close friend of mine has had a couple of close shaves at low speeds when the front wheel gets "stuck" against the bend while maneuvering - nearly causing him to fall.

Don't know why. Maybe the longer fork or differently rated spring / pump? I think the rake / chassis is the same.

P.S. Even the smooth round curved bends fitted to the 535 give the same problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks