Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2012, 22:24   #211
BHPian

Re: Enfield Queries

thank you elan.I already know about this,its too much expensive.Is there any other way available in local??
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan23 View Post
@thetjatt, second off bottom on this link:

Hitchcocks Motorcycles - Instruments
Old 29th January 2012, 14:30   #212
BHPian

Friends,

Can anyone give any pointers as to which workshop in south Bangalore should one approach to get the chrome done on engine outer body,leg guard and exhaust?

Till date I was riding a thunderbird but recently acquired a 3 year old electra which is showing rust signs in places and engine outer body looks all dull no matter how much i wipe and clean it and hence want to get the chroming done on the engine too.Thinking on the lines of the UCE twinspark chrome engine looks
Old 30th January 2012, 10:09   #213
BHPian

Arent the engine cases aluminium? If so, they'd be buffed, not chromed. Buffing gives aluminium a high shine, removing the oxide layer that gives the dull, aged look. The shiny aluminium will last only until the oxide develops again, so if you're looking for that mirror finish it wont last long (many people personally prefer the dull aluminium look nowadays, maybe it adds value to the bike ). Scrubbing with soap-water and toothbrush can help maintain some of the finish.

As for crash guard and exhaust, any chrome shop in Shivajinagar would be able to help, although if the exhaust is badly rusted its advisable to get a new one. The re-chrome might reveal pin-holes caused by pitting.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 30th January 2012, 16:08   #214
BHPian

Gurgaon Ustad

My bullet is throwing tantrums and I need to take it to a good mechanic. I have been using the RE service center in gurgaon - Aman Auto, and those guys cant tell the difference between a wheel and a seat.

Any pointers on a good place for getting my bullet serviced in gurgaon would be highly appreciated! I have a 2006 Machismo 350.
Old 30th January 2012, 16:23   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Arent the engine cases aluminium? If so, they'd be buffed, not chromed. Buffing gives aluminium a high shine, removing the oxide layer that gives the dull, aged look. The shiny aluminium will last only until the oxide develops again, so if you're looking for that mirror finish it wont last long (many people personally prefer the dull aluminium look nowadays, maybe it adds value to the bike ). Scrubbing with soap-water and toothbrush can help maintain some of the finish.

As for crash guard and exhaust, any chrome shop in Shivajinagar would be able to help, although if the exhaust is badly rusted its advisable to get a new one. The re-chrome might reveal pin-holes caused by pitting.

Cheers,
Rahul
Thanks Rahul.
I was under the wrong impression that engine can be chromed too.
Will hit shivajinagar this weekend itself.

By any chance you know the usual rates for chroming there? just wanted to get prepared for bargaining the right price.
Old 30th January 2012, 17:14   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. The battery keeps draining very quickly. Got it checked, but the guy says there is nothing wrong with the battery, rectifier or the dynamo.
Are you sure the problem is because of draining and not because of "Not getting" charged.

Two are totally different issues.

If its the first one i would check the lights you are using and the wattage. Check what all lights you are using and see if the battery can do minimal discharge while using them all.

For the second issue it coule be the coil which just needs to be cleaned, checked.

Quote:
The front brakes squeal. Its not causing any scratches on the disc. And when I open and check them, it seems to be fine. I haven't changed them since I got the bike. Have sanded them, so their effect has minimized for the moment. Is it the pads causing the noise, or something else?
My front squeals as well. But the braking functions is not diminished. I decided to not bother about it after i serviced the brakes few weeks back. I think the squeal is due to the rubbing of the disk with the brake pads.

Just get it serviced once and change the brake oil.
Old 30th January 2012, 18:44   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
I was under the wrong impression that engine can be chromed too.
The cases CAN be chromed, but IMHO they look really garish compared to the un-chromed crankcase in between (especially on the Yezdi/Jawa bikes that I've seen them on). Buffing would be the way to go.

Regarding prices, I havent had any chroming done recently I'd gotten my Roadking chromed in 2007 (when people still thought they were milkmen's bikes I guess) so it was comparatively cheap. But still, for just a silencer and crash guard it shouldn't cost the earth. Just make sure you get a good job done. Someone here should know a good chrome guy in Bangalore.

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 19:54   #218
BHPian

Quote:
... Scrubbing with soap-water and toothbrush can help maintain some of the finish. ...
Use Toothpaste instead of soap for better results the regular (not gel) ones like colgate calcium etc
Rennjit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 18:56   #219
BHPian

My 75 Bull is suffering from a strange illness now. When I shift from second to third gear, it sometimes (by sometimes I mean 3 out of 10 times) falls into neutral. But when I shift from 4th to 3rd nothing like this happens. What can be the cause???
Old 31st January 2012, 19:54   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
My 75 Bull is suffering from a strange illness now. When I shift from second to third gear, it sometimes (by sometimes I mean 3 out of 10 times) falls into neutral. But when I shift from 4th to 3rd nothing like this happens. What can be the cause???
Might look odd to bull owner, hope this is not false neutral. Try little harder changing gear to clarify on this.
Old 31st January 2012, 20:33   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Might look odd to bull owner, hope this is not false neutral. Try little harder changing gear to clarify on this.
Okay... at times when I am shifing from second to third, it first falls into gear and stay on for a second or so and then slips to neutral... Doesn't happen when I shift back from 4th to 3rd...

Last edited by Leepower : 31st January 2012 at 20:37.
Old 1st February 2012, 09:45   #222
BHPian

Lee, does the gear remain engaged when you do NOT accelerate after the shift, and slip only when torque is applied? Or does it slip immediately irrespective of acceleration? I'm guessing one of two cases: Either the splines on the main/lay shaft have worn, or the dog-teeth on the third gear have worn. Had the same third gear problem with my Jawa. Opened her up, found that ONE spline had worn out. Dog teeth were fine. Slip was happening in 2-3 and 4-3 shifts.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 2nd February 2012, 00:19   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Lee, does the gear remain engaged when you do NOT accelerate after the shift, and slip only when torque is applied? Or does it slip immediately irrespective of acceleration? I'm guessing one of two cases: Either the splines on the main/lay shaft have worn, or the dog-teeth on the third gear have worn. Had the same third gear problem with my Jawa. Opened her up, found that ONE spline had worn out. Dog teeth were fine. Slip was happening in 2-3 and 4-3 shifts.

Cheers,
Rahul
But in my case it only happens sometimes (repeat sometimes) when I shift from 2 to 3. Yup and it happens when torque is applied. Guess I will have to open her up.
P.S. Rahul, how is the Jawa restoration turning out to be???
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:17   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
But in my case it only happens sometimes (repeat sometimes) when I shift from 2 to 3. Yup and it happens when torque is applied. Guess I will have to open her up.
P.S. Rahul, how is the Jawa restoration turning out to be???

Dont you worry lee just get the gears adjusted and i am sure it will once again work like dream.
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:49   #225
BHPian

This link may be informative:

How the Royal Enfield Bullet 4-speed gearbox works
elan23 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks