Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2011, 14:38   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Enfield Queries

OT : Shubhendra if i am not wrong did i ever see your bullet parked out side Convergys DLF Atria?

Vig Saab any help needed with the carriers let me know i can get them and send them off to you
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 14:46   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
OT : Shubhendra if i am not wrong did i ever see your bullet parked out side Convergys DLF Atria?

Vig Saab any help needed with the carriers let me know i can get them and send them off to you
Deep Saheb,
Not sure, i left delhi in Feb 2010......if you have seen recently than that's not mine.
I may be needing your help in getting carrier and rear seat from Khajanchi, hope you wouldn't mind

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 13th June 2011, 16:23   #123
Senior - BHPian

No sir i would be glad to help thats not a problem
desideep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 19:49   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post

Goyal Saab, Many thanks.... I have one in the process of being fabricated locally. Will revert back once I understand how it's coming up.
Old 14th June 2011, 12:04   #125
BHPian

@shubhendra ,so you went ahead with your planned DIY servicing of you baby.If you did please post the details asap, i am also planning a DIY.MOREOVER what this sea foam stuff Bradhey was talking about few post earlier.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:58   #126
BHPian

piston- usable ?

Is this Piston in usable form with a new set of rings?
Std size OE piston from a '08 CI Electra done ~19k kms.

I had faced a loss of power at 100kph similar to when fuel supply hits reserve. Engine did not die down but i just pulled in the clutch, coasted to 50kph speeds 'like' giving carb time to fill up and by that time its back running normal. Did those speeds later with no issues and so i thought it was a one off fuel flow issue.

A carbon clean up work 2k kms after the incident shows this damage- a mild piston seizure . Its got these 'rubbing' marks on front & rear but surface is not rough & has no deep scores. Bore is good, no other issues.
So is it good for use?

Royal Enfield Queries-intake-side.jpg
Royal Enfield Queries-exhaust-front-side.jpg
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:49   #127
BHPian

I have seen workshops advise a change of piston for damages less than this one, however if people are adamant, mechanics have been seen to have put back these kind of pistons with a warning, don't go too fast on it.........! So the decision really is your own, if you are performance oriented rider I would suggest a change of piston and a thorough check up of the cylinder liner as well....cheers and have safe ride.
bradhey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:16   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
@shubhendra ,so you went ahead with your planned DIY servicing of you baby.If you did please post the details asap, i am also planning a DIY.
Blueblooded,
Didn't get time this weekend,as i was offroading in near by jungle this weekend. Infact may not get time till next 2-3 weeks, as monsoon has started and so is the offroading season. My bullet is parked for rest till monsoon gets over. but whenever i will do, i will post my review.
Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:19   #129
Senior - BHPian

Re: piston- usable ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post

I had faced a loss of power at 100kph similar to when fuel supply hits reserve. Engine did not die down but i just pulled in the clutch, coasted to 50kph speeds 'like' giving carb time to fill up and by that time its back running normal. Did those speeds later with no issues and so i thought it was a one off fuel flow issue.

A carbon clean up work 2k kms after the incident shows this damage- a mild piston seizure . Its got these 'rubbing' marks on front & rear but surface is not rough & has no deep scores. Bore is good, no other issues.
So is it good for use?

Attachment 560890
Attachment 560889
TO be trure with you i have seen really bad quality of Pistons being sold lately. so if that kinda quality is to be bought then i would be prefering to use tthe same piston with the new RINGS, other wise yes you should change the piston but i will like to tell you that i am stupid and i did the whole leh trip on such a piston and it all went fine.
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:31   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So is it good for use?
Hi the marks don't look too deep and the piston ring area looks to be clean except a slight marking on the bottom ring land of oil control ring. I'd say you can keep using this piston. I have reused a slightly seized piston, like this one, in my engine with no ill effects. Clean the bore thoroughly.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 20:44   #131
BHPian

@shubhendra singh
Dear friend you guys must be having some really great time , which people like us just dream to have some day .Happy offroading

@Shankar.
I have tweaked with the air fuel mixture and the idle screw multiple times since last month.My bullet is electra 5s with non stock silencer ,I mean the silencer i am using is similar to the silencer mentioned on royalenfield.com.
And now i am getting around 20kmpl .Please advice me DIY for it

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th June 2011 at 10:20. Reason: Merging posts back to back posts within 30mins.
Old 14th August 2011, 07:55   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Is this Piston in usable form with a new set of rings? ...
update: i opted for a fresh cyl-piston kit considering (1)the not-so-gentle revs & speeds my bike had seen right after the initial run-in (2) at <3 yrs- 20k kms it is still a new machine against the decades old machines going around (3)its my sole daily run about so a new kit offers peace of mind.

And most importantly though the bore & piston looked good, I couldn't get to measure the wear- clearance properly to decide on a ring set or piston change. Piston was cleaned with kerosene & a piece of fine marble polishing stone rubbed lightly at scored areas only in a circumferential pattern. There were only a couple of spots left to catch finger nails, no score lines. but rings were out.

My choice did turn out good, its got a new found punch esp low-end.

now a Query: Is there a preferred brand for std/ oversize replacement pistons?
removed OE was Goetze.

-

Last edited by Rennjit : 14th August 2011 at 08:08. Reason: ;-)
Old 14th August 2011, 10:38   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Rennjit:
I suggest that you ride real easy with your new piston and rings, just like you were breaking in a brand new motorcycle.

If you ride like the engine was fully broken in you stand a good chance of scoring the new piston or cylinder or possibly even "freezing it up".

The piston will have very little clearance with the cylinders bore at first and will have to go thru many heat up/cool down cycles before it has fully sized itself to fit its new environment.

The new piston rings also will wear both themselves and the bore in and in doing so will create a lot of heat and small metal filings while they do this.
For that reason alone it may be a good idea to change your oil after you've ridden 300 kms.

Enjoy your "new" motorcycle and ride with care.
Old 20th August 2011, 08:57   #134
BHPian

MY bull is behaving abnormally for last couple of days.
Earlier one crank/kick was enough after the customary decompressed one.
Today morning it again started in single kick when i took her out for little spin.
But when I returned home and shut the engine off for a while , I thought lets get the bull properly washed , much my chagrin the engine refused to start even after multiple kicks.
I checked the spark plug and its current both were ok ,Now I dont know what could be cause...
Right now i am exhausted and will attend to her in half an hour .please guide as what could be the cause
Old 20th August 2011, 09:23   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
MY bull is behaving abnormally for last couple of days.
Earlier one crank/kick was enough after the customary decompressed one.
Today morning it again started in single kick when i took her out for little spin.
But when I returned home and shut the engine off for a while , I thought lets get the bull properly washed , much my chagrin the engine refused to start even after multiple kicks.
I checked the spark plug and its current both were ok ,Now I dont know what could be cause...
Right now i am exhausted and will attend to her in half an hour .please guide as what could be the cause
If you have a CDI ignition check the CDI switch below the fuel tank. Open it and blow some air, i have faced the same problem but it always goes away when i blow some air in the CDI switch because through that switch all the current flows in the bike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks