Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:32   #166
BHPian

Need Advice on Tweaking a Royal Enfield Bullet

Hello Team,

Royal Enfield Queries-res1.jpg

Here is my father's early 80's Bullet. Its not really been used much so I decided to take over . It was overhauled sometime ago, while I was studying in the Amreeka, so couldnt really influence anything...
Now I need your help... I have issues with the ride height. Although, I can still ride, its not to my liking. Also I feel the gap between the wheel and the mudguard looks completely out of place.

So here are the problem areas I need to sort out:
1>
Royal Enfield Queries-res2.jpg
How can I reduce the gap between the wheel and the mudguard? I noticed the assembly is an individual piece which connects to the chassis and the mudguard. In that case, can I get a different assembly which has a lower curvature?

2>
Another issue I feel is the seat. Im planning to get the stock two piece seat assembly from the new Classic350/500. Will this help lower the ride height? The seat looks a little low profile but I cant really make out from the pictures.

3>
Royal Enfield Queries-res3.jpg
I feel they have changed the handle bar as well... Its bent upwards and I dont think thats how the stock handle is supposed to be.

4>
I want to upgrade the rear drum brakes and get a disk brake assembly for the front.
Also whats the widest rear tyre I can get for a good balance between stability and performance? Are the stock Classic350/500 tyres good enough?

I am eagerly waiting for your tips/suggestions. Also I am from Pune and would appreciate any references to good mechanics/workshops who can help me out with these tweaks and source the parts as required...
Old 24th November 2011, 11:53   #167
BHPian

Re: Need Advice on Tweaking a Royal Enfield Bullet

not a single reply as yet?
Old 24th November 2011, 12:30   #168
BHPian

Re: Enfield Queries

Could someone please give me a reference to any trusted mechanic/workshop for the Bullet in Pune? I need to get a new seat, brakes and lower my rear mudguard...
Old 24th November 2011, 13:41   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_gr8est1 View Post
Hello Team,

So here are the problem areas I need to sort out:
1>
Attachment 846309
How can I reduce the gap between the wheel and the mudguard? I noticed the assembly is an individual piece which connects to the chassis and the mudguard. In that case, can I get a different assembly which has a lower curvature?

2>
Another issue I feel is the seat. Im planning to get the stock two piece seat assembly from the new Classic350/500. Will this help lower the ride height? The seat looks a little low profile but I cant really make out from the pictures.

3>

I feel they have changed the handle bar as well... Its bent upwards and I dont think thats how the stock handle is supposed to be.

4>
I want to upgrade the rear drum brakes and get a disk brake assembly for the front.
Also whats the widest rear tyre I can get for a good balance between stability and performance? Are the stock Classic350/500 tyres good enough?
Hey,

Please find my thoughts with respect to your question below:
1. You can use Machismo front and rear mudguard, they are good in height.
2. You can't fit Classic seat without any modification, you need to alter the frame little bit to fix that, instead of that I will suggest go for after market seat from Nana Peth Pune however you will not get the original seat comfort in aftermarket seats.
3. Yes, this looks like after market handle but you can get stock handle from authorised dealer for 150 - 200 Rupees and they are easy to fit, I have 2 set of handle and I keep changing every 6 months.
4. I think rear drum break is enough but yes front disc break is good to go, you need to change the froks for that, so whole setup will cost around 10K.

Can't comment on tyre as I am also looking for the same.

Have a look at my RE with after market seat and machismo handle with weight however I changed seat to original one for better comfort.

Royal Enfield Queries-1.jpg

BTW: You have nice original bullet there, I will suggest don't look at cosmetic changes, keep it stock and enjoy the thump.

Thanks,
Vishal

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 24th November 2011 at 13:43. Reason: additional comment
Old 24th November 2011, 15:08   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Hey,

Please find my thoughts with respect to your question below:
1. You can use Machismo front and rear mudguard, they are good in height.
2. You can't fit Classic seat without any modification, you need to alter the frame little bit to fix that, instead of that I will suggest go for after market seat from Nana Peth Pune however you will not get the original seat comfort in aftermarket seats.
3. Yes, this looks like after market handle but you can get stock handle from authorised dealer for 150 - 200 Rupees and they are easy to fit, I have 2 set of handle and I keep changing every 6 months.
4. I think rear drum break is enough but yes front disc break is good to go, you need to change the froks for that, so whole setup will cost around 10K.

Can't comment on tyre as I am also looking for the same.

Have a look at my RE with after market seat and machismo handle with weight however I changed seat to original one for better comfort.

Attachment 846933

BTW: You have nice original bullet there, I will suggest don't look at cosmetic changes, keep it stock and enjoy the thump.

Thanks,
Vishal
Thank you for the reply. You covered pretty much all the points I had issues with

Could you give me reference to any good mechanic/workshop here in Pune? Where do you get your bullet serviced and such?
Old 24th November 2011, 15:11   #171
BHPian

Your primary intent seems to be lowering the seat height. I had a similar need and went to Khajanchi in Karol Bagh, Delhi. He has a special seat frame for lowering the seat which will probably give you a little over an inch in height reduction. The way it works is that instead of the seat frame resting "on" slots for the seat, the frame would have a hook that goes "into" the slot. It essentially reduces the gap between the seat and the bike chasis.

Difficult to explain in words, but such a frame would have a different bottom from conventional seat frames. The moment you look at it, you will know that its the one

There must be some seat experts in Pune who would have this. Additionally you could shave off some of the foam and have some more height. Gel inserts could be useful here.
Old 24th November 2011, 15:27   #172
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Posts moved to existing RE thread. Please search before creating new threads. Thanks.
Old 24th November 2011, 16:42   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. You covered pretty much all the points I had issues with

Could you give me reference to any good mechanic/workshop here in Pune? Where do you get your bullet serviced and such?

Surely. Where are you located in Pune?

I am at Sinhgad Road, my mechanic is also located in same area, he runs authorised service centre, please find the details below:

Umesh Pawar
Sadguru Service Centre

His rates are on little higher side but you will be satisfied with his work, you can give him my and Team BHP reference.

Let me know if you need more help.

Thanks,
Vishal.
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 21:46   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Surely. Where are you located in Pune?
============
Let me know if you need more help.

Thanks,
Vishal.
Thanks...
Will he be able to the modifications I need? Also will he be able to source OEM parts like the seat and handle?
Old 25th November 2011, 02:05   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks...
Will he be able to the modifications I need? Also will he be able to source OEM parts like the seat and handle?
Brother,

I am riding my 3rd Enfield over the last decade and trust me, I have seen the best and worst of Enfield mechanics.

My only recommendation for a mechanic in Pune ( and I mean, all of Pune district!) will be Kunal Bhaskaran from Kunal Bike Works in Vimannagar ( near the Symbiosis School). He is the national record holder for the fastest Enfield ride, plus he is into this for the love of Enfields.

Check out his website, he is the blond guy in the photos:
Kunal Bike Works
Old 25th November 2011, 12:25   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Brother,

I am riding my 3rd Enfield over the last decade and trust me, I have seen the best and worst of Enfield mechanics.

My only recommendation for a mechanic in Pune ( and I mean, all of Pune district!) will be Kunal Bhaskaran from Kunal Bike Works in Vimannagar ( near the Symbiosis School). He is the national record holder for the fastest Enfield ride, plus he is into this for the love of Enfields.

Kunal Bike Works
Thanks for the info...
The problem is that both the service stations suggested are too far away... I stay at Aundh. Is there anyone good close-by?
I'll keep both of these as Plan-B for now, incase someone suggests a place closer. I work 6 days a week, which is another problem considering they will be closed on Sunday.
Old 25th November 2011, 18:32   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info...
The problem is that both the service stations suggested are too far away... I stay at Aundh. Is there anyone good close-by?
Bro, I stay in Aundh too, opp Sanewadi:-)

You are right, it takes forever to get to Vimannagar. But I find that trip worth it, despite paying Rs.140+ for the rickshaw ride back!

Call Kunal to see if he can open up his garage to take your bike on a sunday. ( of course, then you will have to meet him the next sunday to collect it!)

If it is very, very, very minor work, then there is a decent guy called Subodh in the slums behind Polka Dot. I go there for simple stuff like fitting the horns, or changing indicator bulbs.
Old 25th November 2011, 22:44   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks...
Yes, he will help you in that however I will suggest that don't purchase any parts from any mechanic directly go to Bhavani Peth, you can get all OEM part with low cost compared to mechanic or even showroom. I know its hard to find the shop and mechanic but you have to make habit of this to maintain RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Brother,

Kunal Bike Works
Wow! I know Kunal he is famous offroader, glad to know that he is also RE lover, Thanks for information, I will surely visit his shop.

Quote:
Thanks for the info...
I'll keep both of these as Plan-B for now, incase someone suggests a place closer. I work 6 days a week, which is another problem considering they will be closed on Sunday.
Please refer the same statement as above "you have to make habit of this to maintain RE ".

When I bought my bullet in 2010 from Raisony Auto (closed now because of customer complaints) I was totally frustrated as there is no one to service the bullet, Dhone (the only other dealer in Pune) reluctant to take bikes sold by Raisony, at that time my mechanic saved me otherwise I would have sold my bullet in first 6 months.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 26th November 2011, 10:39   #179
BHPian

Alrity... Thanks to ou both... Now I'll get down to business :-)
Old 26th November 2011, 12:14   #180
BHPian

@Thar4x4
Could you please pm me your phone number? I need to ask you a few questions regarding the stores at Bhawani Peth. For some reason, Im still not allowed the PM feature eventhough I have 26 posts...
I intend to go there today itself so need to sort a few things before.
Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks