Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2012, 07:16   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Enfield Queries

@ Rennjit - I got two of these the other day and fitted them to my bike (standard of 86) for Rs 980, replacing the older ones which should have been pensioned off long ago. Ride comfort and braking have improved remarkably but that's probably because my existing shocks were really really bad.

Royal Enfield Queries-shox_2755.jpg

Incidentally, Armstrongs are now made in India not by Gabriel any more. It's by another American giant called Tenneco (that also owns the famous Monroe brand). It's not very clear to me why. Probably some global brand acquisition or realignment. You could ask their customer service cell (contact details in graphic below) about the softer and harder varieties that you were talking about. But these shocks are themselves adjustable and you can tune them to your personal specification if you are really keen.

Royal Enfield Queries-tenneco_2757.jpg

I haven't really tried to find out about Endurance but they have a very elaborate website and I am sure you could ask them. If you want I will ask the spares store from where I buy my stuff.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 2nd June 2012 at 07:25.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 17:42   #287
BHPian

Can anyone please elaborate the front fork oil replacement procedure in the new UCEs ? Can it be done as a DIY ?
Regards Adrian
Old 3rd June 2012, 20:30   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian
Can anyone please elaborate the front fork oil replacement procedure in the new UCEs ? Can it be done as a DIY ?
Regards Adrian
If you don't have the right tools then it's not a DIY thing. It requires removal of the forks to change oil. Get it done at the workshop.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 11:23   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
...I got two of these the other day and fitted them to my bike (standard of 86) for Rs 980, replacing the older ones...
Sir, please excuse the OT, but would you have any info on availability of new Yezdi shocks by Armstrong? Mine seem to be at the end of their life, and I'm not willing to do a 'gasification'. Would prefer to stick to stock.

Any info would be helpful.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 4th June 2012, 13:03   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
If you don't have the right tools then it's not a DIY thing. It requires removal of the forks to change oil. Get it done at the workshop.
Thanks for the info Randhawa. I thought it was possible to change the oil without dismantling the forks from the machine. It is deceiving from the looks. There is an L key nut in the bottom of the forks and one at the top. What I thought was to remove the lower nut to drain oil and fill 195 ml through the top, bump the forks and shut it Now I am happy that I didn't try it prior to consultation with the experts. Will take the machine to the service and report back
Regards Adrian
Old 4th June 2012, 14:31   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Sir, please excuse the OT, but would you have any info on availability of new Yezdi shocks by Armstrong? Mine seem to be at the end of their life, and I'm not willing to do a 'gasification'. Would prefer to stick to stock.

Any info would be helpful.

Cheers,
Rahul
Rahul - I would suggest speak to the customer care cell of Tenneco - makers of Armstrong. The phone number is given in my second image. If that does not help I guess you should also talk to any traditional old spare parts shop in your locality, they might know which size is needed.

Endurance also makes traditional shocks. You could try their number as well.

All the best. Please keep us posted about your progress. I started my two-wheeling life with a Yezdi.
Old 4th June 2012, 16:04   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Only thing to do is get the threads re-done by a lathe machine operator. Basically what he will do is flatten the surface and re-thread it (something like re-boring). You will have to use a thicker bolt confirming with the new re-bored threads.
Thanks for reply.
Does it need to get down engine from chassis? How long it is stable?
Old 4th June 2012, 16:42   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Thanks for reply.
Does it need to get down engine from chassis? How long it is stable?
You don't need to get the engine off the chassis. There is a thread tool available which can do this job. You will need to consult a lathe shop who can rub-out the old threads and make new threads on the re-bored surface. Any other experienced workshop can also guide you with this problem by a different solution other then this.
Old 7th June 2012, 12:21   #294
BHPian

Can anyone please suggest a good mechanic in bangalore to give my bulls gearbox a onceover? I have a 1978 Standard 350. I had gone to a mechanic on nandi durga road. But he's just managed to make it worse and i hate to see her struggling while she's being ridden.
Old 7th June 2012, 16:14   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyuargal View Post
Can anyone please suggest a good mechanic in bangalore to give my bulls gearbox a onceover? I have a 1978 Standard 350. I had gone to a mechanic on nandi durga road. But he's just managed to make it worse and i hate to see her struggling while she's being ridden.
Hi abhimanyuargal, just look at the previous page of this thread. You are from Bangalore and it surprises me that you have not heard of Mr. Gurunandan !
Regards Adrian
Old 7th June 2012, 16:24   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Hi abhimanyuargal, just look at the previous page of this thread. You are from Bangalore and it surprises me that you have not heard of Mr. Gurunandan !
Regards Adrian
Hey Adrian,
I've got a strong hunch that the mechanic who abhimanyu is referring to at Nandi Durga Road is Gurunandan himself
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 8th June 2012, 08:31   #297
BHPian

@Adrian: Thanks for the contact. I'm actually new to bangalore so I don't know the who's who of the Bullet worlds local chapter. Should I call the man or do I go to the address that's mentioned? Someone says that the garage in question has shut down.

@Starter: The guy I had gone to the last time was not Mr. Gurunandan. In fact another guy had suggested the mechanic I went to. Turns out we were both taken for a ride. and that too one that wasn't the least bit enjoyable.

do keep this thread alive as I'll be able to sort out all the other queries regarding good workmanship in bangalore.
Old 8th June 2012, 09:52   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Adrian,
I've got a strong hunch that the mechanic who abhimanyu is referring to at Nandi Durga Road is Gurunandan himself
Cheers,
Deepak
@ Deepak :What a small world Any idea of the address change of Mr.Gurunandan.
@ abhimanyuargal : Why don't you discuss your problem in this thread. There are many experts who could help you out.
Regards Adrian
Old 8th June 2012, 10:49   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Its been more than months since Mtech is closed.
He is planning to move out of Bangalore.
Till then, you could still reach him on his mobile and take it to his residence in Sanjay Nagar.
Cheers,
Deepak
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@ Deepak :What a small world Any idea of the address change of Mr.Gurunandan.
I've already replied to your query above Adrian.
He is currently servicing limited number of bikes at his residence in Sanjay Nagar (a couple of kms away from M.Tech).
Let me know if you need any help with directions.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 13:08   #300
BHPian

@ Starter : Thanks friend, I had e mailed Mr. Gurunandan as an enquriy on the possibility of a practical class on Bullet repair. He replied that he is giving classes on sundays alone in a month and is impossible to conduct the course for one week continuously as it would saturate the newbies to the point that they won't absorb a thing. So the dream has capsized since I cannot commute from Trivandrum to Bangalore every Sunday.
Regards Adrian

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks